Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why the Wild should keep Brodziak

Old
10-13-2011, 01:50 AM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

vCash: 500
As good and inexpensive Brodziak has been for us, we have to make room for the waves of rookies at forward we'll be getting in starting next season. IMO if we don't make the playoffs, trade Brodz, if we're still in it, keep him.

We have to make room for Mikael Granlund next season as I'm assuming he'll be slotted into the 2C or 3C position next year.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 07:57 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
My question is what do we do with Casey Wellman though?? The kid was promised NHL time and that was why he took our offer over many of the other ones being reported that he was receiving. He is still down in Houston and the way this team is now, I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Wellman will see time this year. He's our only depth for injuries in the top 6. While Brodziak will end up filling in for injuries to Koivu or Cullen, if Lats, Butch, Heater, or Seto misses time, it will be Wellman who gets the call. Bulmer will be headed back to Kelowna soon enough, and our only other options would be Clutter or Gillies, and I've gotten the distinct impression neither of those are options Yeo and Fletcher would take.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:11 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Wellman will see time this year. He's our only depth for injuries in the top 6. While Brodziak will end up filling in for injuries to Koivu or Cullen, if Lats, Butch, Heater, or Seto misses time, it will be Wellman who gets the call. Bulmer will be headed back to Kelowna soon enough, and our only other options would be Clutter or Gillies, and I've gotten the distinct impression neither of those are options Yeo and Fletcher would take.
But what happens next year when we have Granlund, Coyle, Zucker, et al.?

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:14 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
But what happens next year when we have Granlund, Coyle, Zucker, et al.?
If Coyle and Zucker make the pro jump (and that's far from a certainty) they're both going to need some AHL time. The only players outside of the NHL/AHL this year that might make the team next year are Granlund, Brodin, and possibly Bulmer. Phillips has a shot too, but it's a long one.

Anyway, I'd be very surprised if we re-signed Wellman unless he shows something amazing this year. He's RFA on July 1. I expect we'll try trade his RFA rights for a late round pick.

Old
10-13-2011, 08:39 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
If Coyle and Zucker make the pro jump (and that's far from a certainty) they're both going to need some AHL time. The only players outside of the NHL/AHL this year that might make the team next year are Granlund, Brodin, and possibly Bulmer. Phillips has a shot too, but it's a long one.

Anyway, I'd be very surprised if we re-signed Wellman unless he shows something amazing this year. He's RFA on July 1. I expect we'll try trade his RFA rights for a late round pick.
Guess that is why I bring it up. If he is RFA why not trade him and Brodziak at the same time as a package deal if it works out?? I could see Winnipeg being one of those teams to consider it. Def. other teams looking for forward depth.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Wellman's going to get cut loose and try and catch on with another team next year. He just doesn't seem to be an NHL player.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
You need to have some role-players on any good team. Brodz might not have the flash some of these prospects do, but often times it's guys like him or Gillies that step it up in playoffs (Marchand, Pisani, Lapointe are examples). If he's willing to stay here for a reasonable price, I don't know why I'd get rid of a proven, durable, steady performer who is just hitting his prime. It is possible that one of our cherished prospects, maybe even more than one, won't be all we expect them to be at the NHL level.

OTOH, I could see the attraction of a 2nd rounder were one to be offered. If push came to shove, I'd surely rather see the Wild get something for him than let him get away for nothing.

So here's the dilemma; if the Wild are in the hunt at the deadline, what do you do, trade him or go for glory?

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If they're actually in the hunt they don't trade him. If they're out, they trade him.

You "need" guys like Brodziak yes, but you don't stock up on role players until you have your big guns in order. I'd say we're going to be looking to win in 2-3 years, not right now.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If they're actually in the hunt they don't trade him. If they're out, they trade him.

You "need" guys like Brodziak yes, but you don't stock up on role players until you have your big guns in order. I'd say we're going to be looking to win in 2-3 years, not right now.
Depends on how significant those role players are to overall team chemistry. If you're talking Wes Walz, or Maltby and Draper, those guys are often glue that holds a team together and give them identity.

I don't know if Brodziak is that kind of guy or not though.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:15 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
OTOH, I could see the attraction of a 2nd rounder were one to be offered. If push came to shove, I'd surely rather see the Wild get something for him than let him get away for nothing.

So here's the dilemma; if the Wild are in the hunt at the deadline, what do you do, trade him or go for glory?
Depends on how "in the hunt" the team is. If we're like last year, a few points back in a huge logjam for 8th place, trade him. This year isn't our year, and I'd rather have the pick than a single short playoff series. If we're somewhat solidly in position, I don't mind hanging on to him and losing him for nothing.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:30 AM
nickschultzfan

How about this? This off-season, trade Cullen and Clutterbuck (you need to add to Cullen to get rid of his contract), then re-sign Brodziak and Latendresse. Sign Parise.

Seto-Koivu-Heatley
Parise-Granlund-Bouchard
Lats-Brodziak-Gillies

That 3rd line would be awesome at protecting the puck in the offensive zone, eating up large chunks of time against the opposing teams #1 line, but bringing the offense!

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

No way. I would keep Clutterbuck over Latendresse every single day of the week. Lats doesn't belong on the 3rd line, and if you have to spare one of he or Clutterbuck to go after Parise, I'd say it's Lats every time. Way more expendable IMO.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:43 AM
saywut

Quote:
If he has to go, I want him to go to a team that he actually wants to play for and a team that actually wants him to play his game the way he wants to play it. Kyle is probably one of the few players on the team right now that I enjoy watching play, seriously. He is a terrific center and a great 3rd line grinder to have out there.

My question is what do we do with Casey Wellman though?? The kid was promised NHL time and that was why he took our offer over many of the other ones being reported that he was receiving. He is still down in Houston and the way this team is now, I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Could see Wellman getting a call if/when we send Bulmer back to junior. Depends on how he performs down in Houston. With Almond injured one would think Wellman's atop the call-up list.

Quote:

Disagree that Coyle will definitely need AHL seasoning. He makes this team over Bulmer had he signed a contract this off-season, if we want to win games(Bulmer might of in the same way Sheppard made it over Pouliot because Shep wasn't AHL eligible but Benny was). I can't guarantee he'll turn pro next season, but if he does he'll be making a strong case to play with the Wild. There's a reason he's one of the top prospects in hockey, and that's not primarily because of his offensive upside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Wellman's going to get cut loose and try and catch on with another team next year. He just doesn't seem to be an NHL player.
Either way he's got ~80 games to build his case.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd like to know if the Wild long term plan on using Granlund at C or W. I think Coyle would have to be a C in the mold of Koivu. Big strong guy with puck skills and good passing. I don't think he "needs" AHL seasoning but I think if the Wild want him to be a top six guy he should play there for a year. Same with Larsson and Bulmer IMO.

Bulmer to me can come in and play a 3rd/4th line role in the NHL...or he can try and develop into a more skilled 2nd/3rd line guy.

Old
10-13-2011, 11:52 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Disagree that Coyle will definitely need AHL seasoning. He makes this team over Bulmer had he signed a contract this off-season, if we want to win games(Bulmer might of in the same way Sheppard made it over Pouliot because Shep wasn't AHL eligible but Benny was). I can't guarantee he'll turn pro next season, but if he does he'll be making a strong case to play with the Wild. There's a reason he's one of the top prospects in hockey, and that's not primarily because of his offensive upside.
I don't think he will definitely need AHL seasoning, I just don't see a way for him to make this team unless we make major changes. I believe the team wants him to be a top 6 player, and possibly at center. If that's the case, he's not going to sit on Cullen's wing, and I can't see him beating out Heater/Seto/Lats/Butch. Now, if we don't re-sign Latendresse, he has a decent shot at that second line left wing spot, but I was under the impression he played on the right as a wing.

The reason I think Bulmer has a shot next year is because the team doesn't have any problem putting him on the third line. While Coyle is built to be able to play on the third line, I just get the strong impression that the team would rather try him at center or as a top 6 winger.

Old
10-13-2011, 12:11 PM
saywut

I just don't know if Coyle's scoring upside is being exaggerated by some. I find him similar to Kesler before Kesler became a 40 goal guy with a lethal shot. Coyle's that kind of guy from what I've seen. Skating, size, strength, smart in all zones. 3rd line duty wouldn't hurt him IMO. It obviously didn't hurt Kesler.

By all indications from Brent Flahr, we're committed to Granlund as a center. So if Coyle's playing top-6 and Granlund's a center, Coyle will be playing wing. We don't really know who's in our long-term plans aside from the 2 Fins, so its hard to speculate as to where Coyle would be most valuable long-term.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:18 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
I just don't know if Coyle's scoring upside is being exaggerated by some. I find him similar to Kesler before Kesler became a 40 goal guy with a lethal shot. Coyle's that kind of guy from what I've seen. Skating, size, strength, smart in all zones. 3rd line duty wouldn't hurt him IMO. It obviously didn't hurt Kesler.

By all indications from Brent Flahr, we're committed to Granlund as a center. So if Coyle's playing top-6 and Granlund's a center, Coyle will be playing wing. We don't really know who's in our long-term plans aside from the 2 Fins, so its hard to speculate as to where Coyle would be most valuable long-term.
Yeah, I was a little unclear, I meant to imply that if Coyle is playing third line time, it'll be at center. Unless we're planning to move Cullen to the wing, there just isn't room for Coyle with the big club next season.

Old
10-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
No way. I would keep Clutterbuck over Latendresse every single day of the week. Lats doesn't belong on the 3rd line, and if you have to spare one of he or Clutterbuck to go after Parise, I'd say it's Lats every time. Way more expendable IMO.
I dunno - Lats has been more physical and in-your-face than Clutter this year. Has better hands too.

Old
10-13-2011, 01:40 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I dunno - Lats has been more physical and in-your-face than Clutter this year. Has better hands too.
Russo's article today asked Clutter why he hasn't been as physical. His response was exactly what we saw in that Ottawa game, that players are deliberately putting themselves in vulnerable positions hoping either the guy peels off or that he gets 5 and a game and a suspension from Shaky Shanny.

Old
10-13-2011, 01:47 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Clutter and Lats are different in the application of their physicality...Both hit (clutter hits more normally) but Lats also uses his mass and strength with the puck.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Russo's article today asked Clutter why he hasn't been as physical. His response was exactly what we saw in that Ottawa game, that players are deliberately putting themselves in vulnerable positions hoping either the guy peels off or that he gets 5 and a game and a suspension from Shaky Shanny.
Turning the NHL into the no hit league.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:51 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

hitting is dangerous. things that could possibly cause injury have no place in hockey.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:06 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

What I would like to see (but Shanny is being too big of a nut to ever do it) is suspensions for players who have deliberately put themselves into a vulnerable position. See a guy coming at you for a clean hit and you turn to try make it dirty? Suspension/fine. Do something egregiously stupid that puts you in danger from routine hockey plays? Suspension/fine.

Then again, I want to see suspensions for diving as well so maybe I'm not the best person to ask...

Old
10-13-2011, 03:16 PM
mnwildgophers

I think all of these suspensions for ticky tacky crap is dumb. Let 'em play a little

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:08 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

this providence posted something on the re-signing Brodziak debate over at FRB. It's a good read.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote