Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why the Wild should keep Brodziak

Old
11-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
The Wild NEED that to happen! Although we have Phillips, Larsson, and Coyle who might be centers as well.

If I were running the ship, I'd probably sign Brodz to a 4-5 year extension and probably put Granlund on the wing in the top six. I would think Bouchard or Lats would need to be moved to make some room. And Russo said Granlund would get the max contract offer (> $3m) so freeing up some salary would be nice. Moving Clutter shouldn't be off the table either.

Something along the lines of:

Granlund - Koivu - Lats
Heatley - Cullen - Seto
Bulmer - Brodziak - Johnson/Clutter

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:46 PM
PuckInTheNards

This thread assumes too much about Granlund, IMO. Yes, we all hope that he'll be able to step in and be the #2 right away but he'll be a rookie playing his first season in North America. Cullen can play the third line if he has to but more importantly, he's a viable #2c if Granlund struggles out of the gate. I love Brodziak, but not really as our #2c. I think we need to keep Cullen around next year for sure.

PuckInTheNards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Bookman

vCash: 728
This topic keeps coming up - time for a bump.

Brodz to me is the kind of role-player you need to win in this league, especially come playoff time. Hopefully he will get his first taste of the post-season this year.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:47 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
happy to say i've been a supporter 100% of the time he's been here. brag brag brag.

where are all the "there's just no place for him" people?
where you at?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:56 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
happy to say i've been a supporter 100% of the time he's been here. brag brag brag.

where are all the "there's just no place for him" people?
where you at?
I'm still here. My position had always been that we needed to move him at the trade deadline. I haven't fully reconsidered that position yet. There's still no room for him unless we move someone in the top 6 (tough) or start Granlund in Houston (I'm still opposed to this).

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I'm still here. My position had always been that we needed to move him at the trade deadline. I haven't fully reconsidered that position yet. There's still no room for him unless we move someone in the top 6 (tough) or start Granlund in Houston (I'm still opposed to this).
How about starting Granlund on the wing? At any rate, if the top 6 is full moving Brodziak won't change that.

Old
12-08-2011, 05:31 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
How about starting Granlund on the wing? At any rate, if the top 6 is full moving Brodziak won't change that.
And how do you presume to fit him in there? Unless you're not re-signing Lats...

As for the top 6 being full, Cullen is more than capable of being 3C.

Old
12-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
And how do you presume to fit him in there? Unless you're not re-signing Lats...

As for the top 6 being full, Cullen is more than capable of being 3C.
Given that our top 6 tonight features Taffe and Wellman, I'm not too worried.

I don't think Lats would be a waste of space alongside Brodz, with whom he has demonstrated chemistry, and Clutterbuck. That would be a hell of a third line.

Old
12-08-2011, 05:43 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Given that our top 6 tonight features Taffe and Wellman, I'm not too worried.

I don't think Lats would be a waste of space alongside Brodz, with whom he has demonstrated chemistry, and Clutterbuck. That would be a hell of a third line.
Wellman is scoring at a point per game in the NHL, don't knock him

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
Wellman is scoring at a point per game in the NHL, don't knock him
True - he may be a player yet.

Old
12-08-2011, 06:53 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I still have more or less the same opinion as I always have. I do like him as he's one of my favorite current players on the squad. However, I just don't know how feasible a re-signing is going to be. He's a good work-man type of guy but there's a bit of a thin line between being great at what he does now in his role relative to his pay grade and being an over-paid third liner who'll be expected to continue to be not only noticeable every night but productive as well.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

So who thought wed ever have a problem where we have too many awesome forwards?

At the rate Brodz is clicking I say offer him a decent extension and see if he will stick around, since were looking like were gonna be true contenders within a year or two here.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 08:02 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

The team is always going to evolve--that's the nature of the business. I have faith that Yeo will be able to adapt the team and tweak the system for the personnel Fletcher gives him, but I also think role players and unspectacular space fillers like Brodziak, Staubitz, and Powe are more important in Yeo's system than people give them credit for. Upgrading from, say, Staubitz, Powe and Brodziak to Granlund, Bulmer, and Coyle isn't necessarily going to work out in our favor. It should, of course. but the Wild with the team set up and with the positions we've had injuries (top four D, top six forwards) should be floating near the bottom of the league. some people tend to say "Just look at where we are with who we have! Surely we'd be unstoppable with X instead of Y!!" In a star-based model that would be more likely to happen than in Fletcher's Koivu-based team IMO.

Again, I have faith that between Yeo and Fletcher they can adapt the team and system with any reasonable personnel upgrades/changes, but how sucky would it be to have a glimpse of this kind of success this year and just be godawful next year when we've added three or four rookies, some relegating vets to lower lines or forcing them off the team altogether? These kids will be new to Yeo's system. They are from all accounts hard workers, eager to learn, but they're all good enough where they might just have a little problem adjusting to not being dominant and that could make for a very slow start. It's a good problem to have.

holy ramble.

my wife is due Saturday and I'm all fked up.

edit: and yeah, Brodz may have played himself out of a spot here...I wonder if he'll consider whether it's him being awesome and just ignore the "in this system" part or if he'll take that into consideration when deciding whether to skip out for more money on a different team? He could end up back on the Oilers and just become what Nystrom was for us.
Hard work, no results.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Persian Wild
Persia 4 Parise

I was never a fan of him. In my eyes he was useless. But now I canT imagine a Wild roster without him!

Please forgive me, Brodz!

Persian Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Wild View Post
I was never a fan of him. In my eyes he was useless. But now I canT imagine a Wild roster without him!

Please forgive me, Brodz!
Ha... I always remember when I'd start a GM campaign as the Wild in NHL 11 or 10... Brodziak was the first to go on my wave of first day trades.

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 04:59 PM
GORGO

To this point..One of my picks as MVP of this team

GORGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:02 PM
BigT2002

There is no if's and's or but's this is the single most crucial thing Fletcher needs to take care of before the offseason

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Jbcraig1883

I think the Wild have to sign him now. Brodziak is everything that Yeo wants in a player. His play rubs off on the rest of the team and he will have a huge impact on the youngsters--they will see what it takes to be a professional and bring it every night.

If they trade him, I think it messes up the culture and sends the wrong message to Yeo.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:56 PM
mnwildgophers

I don't know how high we want to go for him, he's shown an ability to score and to be honest, it's kind of been ramping up to this point the last few years, I don't think there's a problem with having a lot of center depth, and having Koivu-Cullen-Brodz being able to anchor 3 lines isn't so bad. When Granlund comes over, we insert him on the wing and let him get acclimated, by this time, Cullen's contract is almost over, and we can put Granlund at center if we feel we need to.

I'd probably go as high as $3M, but I don't know how comfortable I would be able that. I'd love to see $2.5M, but I do wonder if he wants to wait it out. I don't think enough can be said about his leadership, and showing that on the ice. I hope we can re-sign him.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:09 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
I think the Wild have to sign him now. Brodziak is everything that Yeo wants in a player. His play rubs off on the rest of the team and he will have a huge impact on the youngsters--they will see what it takes to be a professional and bring it every night.

If they trade him, I think it messes up the culture and sends the wrong message to Yeo.
I doubt very much Yeo would be upset if it were for the right reasons, and I have faith that Fletcher and company would give those reasons to Yeo when making a deal. If they tell Yeo "Look Brodziak is asking for $20 million/5 years or he'll test free agency" I'm sure Yeo will have no problem with seeing how someone like Almond does with more minutes.

I won't blame Brodziak if he wants more money than the Wild are willing to commit or if he gets it somewhere else. Hopefully if he leaves for another team it'll have the same culture/system and he won't look like a complete idiot or become some teams whipping boy.

Old
12-11-2011, 01:18 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Brodz is awesome right now, but I'd offer only 2.5 million at maybe 2 years for him.

We've got too many promising rookies coming up right now to create a logjam.

If we're somehow out of it by trade deadline, trade him for what you can get. If not, keep him for an epic playoff push.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:31 PM
oilWILDcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post
Brodz is awesome right now, but I'd offer only 2.5 million at maybe 2 years for him.

We've got too many promising rookies coming up right now to create a logjam.

If we're somehow out of it by trade deadline, trade him for what you can get. If not, keep him for an epic playoff push.
If we were going to offer him a short contract, I'd think he'd ask for more money than just 2.5, probably 3-3.5 if he continues his play.

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1200
With how much Brodziak has been scoring, I wouldn't be opposed to moving him to wing if we can't find room for him at center. Or we could move one of our prospects to wing if Brodziak proves to be the better 2-way player.

I think he's flourished here, and he doesn't seem like the type of guy to ask for a ridiculous amount of money when the situation is benefiting both the player and the organization.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:23 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
With how much Brodziak has been scoring, I wouldn't be opposed to moving him to wing if we can't find room for him at center. Or we could move one of our prospects to wing if Brodziak proves to be the better 2-way player.

I think he's flourished here, and he doesn't seem like the type of guy to ask for a ridiculous amount of money when the situation is benefiting both the player and the organization.
He's the 2nd best faceoff centermen on the team. If anything, we should move Cullen to wing.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 03:25 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
He's the 2nd best faceoff centermen on the team. If anything, we should move Cullen to wing.
Isn't Cullen the best faceoff centerman on the team?