HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reinstate Hitch?

View Poll Results: ? Reinstate Hitch
Yes, now. 6 7.59%
No, never. 51 64.56%
Ask me again if we're 0-8 6 7.59%
Ask me again if we're 0-12 11 13.92%
Keep Arneil in charge, but force him to appoint Hitch as an assistant in charge of the D. 5 6.33%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-11-2011, 09:19 PM
St1ngr

vCash: 500
Reinstate Hitch?

Enough of this talk percolating around other threads, thought I'd go right out and give this topic its own venue.

Keep in mind:

This move would cost the team $0.
We sure could use some tightening up defensively.
Hitch and Arneil worked together this summer with team Canada.

St1ngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
For some reason, I feel compelled to treat this topic seriously.

This will never happen for the following reasons:

1. He was fired for a reason
2. Hitch would never take the job back.
3. That would eliminate the possibility of another team hiring him, thus getting him off the books.
4. It would split the locker room badly. This team is having trouble enough developing chemistry at this point for whatever reason.
5. His girlfriend would never allow it.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:37 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

I can't believe this is even a point of discussion, and I support Hitch.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 1000
I liked Hitch but hiring him back wouldn't work. As John Cooper once said: That dog won't hunt

I think a better plan would be to hire Hitch as Senior Advisor, but that ain't happening either

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:08 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

How about option 6. Its only 3 games in and I am ready to blow the whole thing up.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:13 PM
CrazyCanucks

What is the obsession of bringing guys back. Hitch, shelly, Williams etc. Threre is a reason why they are no longer with the team...

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
What is the obsession of bringing guys back. Hitch, shelly, Williams etc. Threre is a reason why they are no longer with the team...
ding ding ding!!!

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:23 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Really no...

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:37 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
Doesn't mean it was a good reason now does it? We already established the last year+ that it wasn't the coaches fault. We had a similar season and now we spent 100 million in the off season. We are also close to a cap team. Even with a change in system we didn't suddenly going nuts in scoring. We still aren't to this point.

However, wouldn't happen unless there was a groveling and a major shakeup (goodbye Howson and Priest). By the way that's pure speculation (haven't even entertained having that discussion, nor would I bring it up) on my part and I don't even know if that would be enough. However, Hitch has been out of work for a while and it's well known he likes the father of the majority owner. There is always the very remote possibility that Hitch would take a interim bit just to showcase his coaching skills again. However, I think Howson might rather choke to death than see that happen.

The "hate" against Hitch is starting to thaw a bit. As it should.

It's way too early to entertain this topic. Plus we have an ex-headcoach on the bench right now don't we? Now if we are 2-10-3 by game 15, then you might have something to talk about (Wiz would be back for 7 games by then).

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:43 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
ding ding ding!!!
1. He and Howson didn't see eye to eye about the future direction?
2. He lost with a roster that Arniel didn't win with either?
3. Old school coaching style?
4. OMG, destroying kids?

Which of the 4? Combination? Are the "reasons" as compelling as they seemed two years ago?

It's not like Jake, Brass, or Filatov "grew" under Arniel.

So what is (are) the reason(s) that still apply(ies)? You rang the bell, I want to hear the justification.

Old
10-12-2011, 06:54 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

I didn't want Hitch fired at the time, I don't want him re-hired either. I just think it would be bad for the entire operation.

I don't know if Arniel is the answer, but I'm pretty sure I know the problem. The Jackets are victims of extremely low expectations, lack of resilience. I believe we as fans have a mindset of "Here we go again," or "Same old Jackets." I believe we do because they do too.

The Browns, the Bengals, the Pirates, Florida Panthers, Leafs, all suffer from the same affliction and I just don't know how it's changed. Clearly the Hitch hire was an attempt to change this mindset. Howson tried over the summer.

I have some ideas, but I also don't have the solution.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:18 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

I thought Hitch was a great hire, I understood that it was time for his firing, and there is no reason to think he'll ever coach here, again. It does seem like many are stuck on the idea of returning to the past (Dineen, Shelley, etc.), but I think that is not unusual in a fanbase. It rarely happens, though, and even more rarely is successful.

Arniel is going nowhere, yet. He's coached one full season, folks, do you really believe Howson is going to admit to that huge of a mistake after only three games into this one? Plenty of time for the traditional HF wailing and gnashing of teeth, it's a long season.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:37 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Arniel is going nowhere, yet. He's coached one full season, folks, do you really believe Howson is going to admit to that huge of a mistake after only three games into this one? Plenty of time for the traditional HF wailing and gnashing of teeth, it's a long season.
The the most part I agree. Try and not be so definitive however. If we still struggling at this pace by game 15-20, I wouldn't be so sure. How much rope does Howson have left? That's another question. When does his opinion on the coach no longer matter?

Let's not dwell on that, however. Let's recover, win some games, and move on. Starting tonight.

What I can't believe is that this is even topic. We have an easy out for Howson on the bench this year.

Oh and it was a bit unfair to lump Dineen in. He retired and was up for a new position. He's a head coach now. It wasn't an unreasonable suggestion. It wasn't like he was any more or less qualified as Arniel.

Old
10-12-2011, 07:51 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
The the most part I agree. Try and not be so definitive however. If we still struggling at this pace by game 15-20, I wouldn't be so sure. How much rope does Howson have left? That's another question. When does his opinion on the coach no longer matter?

Let's not dwell on that, however. Let's recover, win some games, and move on. Starting tonight.

What I can't believe is that this is even topic. We have an easy out for Howson on the bench this year.

Oh and it was a bit unfair to lump Dineen in. He retired and was up for a new position. He's a head coach now. It wasn't an unreasonable suggestion. It wasn't like he was any more or less qualified as Arniel.
Definitive? I think "yet" and "after only three games" left me plenty of wiggle room, should I try to weasel at a later date! Yeah, the topic is silly and solely created by distraught fans. I think Richards is better positioned as a threat to Arniel, but I just don't believe any move like that is imminent. Howson doesn't work that way (too definitive?).

You're right, of course, Dineen was a legitimate candidate for the post; but much of his support, locally, was couched as "Fan Favorite Returns." That's why I included him.

Old
10-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Skraut

I'm the biggest Hitch supporter around. The guy had a plan, and took a relatively talentless team to the playoffs by playing a smart system.

But......... No

Give Arnie a chance. Sure some teams have new inexperienced coaches come in and have success right away, coaches like Dan Bylsma. There's a huge difference between winning with Crosby, Malkin, and Feury, than winning with Nash, Umberger, and Mason.

Fans (especially on here) wanted a coaching change, they got a coaching change. It didn't work.
Fans (especially on here) wanted to blow the team up. It got blown up. Give the new team time to gel together.

sure the team is 0-3, but it hasn't exactly been 3 pushover teams...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:28 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
sure the team is 0-3, but it hasn't exactly been 3 pushover teams...
What does that matter? We are supposed to be competing for a playoff spot. The team that was on the ice for the first three games isn't close to a playoff team.

Good teams find a way to get points even when they aren't playing well.

We are NOT a good team right now.

It's up to Arniel and his coaching staff to fix that. He's going to have a chance. It's likely nothing would happen unless we continued to struggle mightily when Wiz returns.

What I see on the ice, right now, can't be what Arniel is preaching. Right? We cleaned up our defensive zone play in the last game, somewhat. However, our neutral zone play hasn't been that effective. We are certainly letting teams enter the zone with far too much speed. Our offensive zone play and forecheck is lacking outside of the top line.

This is to Arniel to get through to these guys. His performance last season was not an endorsement to keep him around. He was obviously pushing hard for help with the roster (remember all the "we're not done" comments?). He got it.

As I said before, it's not so much that we're 0-3. It's how we got to 0-3. Now there an adjustment period for new players and changes in the roster. But our top players are pretty much our top players from last year. Carter and Propsal look engaged and are producing. Outside of Nash, the rest of our vets aren't faring very well.

My slogan for this season is "No excuses". I'm tired of hearing them and one of those (the schedule) is being use far too often for my liking. From the coaching staff and now the fans.

I keep saying we can turn this around. I don't want this team to fail. We are stuck with this core (good or bad) for the next few years.

Old
10-12-2011, 08:43 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Before I ignore this thred, I just have to say it is by far the dumbest thread I've seen in years.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:47 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

...We are supposed to be competing for a playoff spot. The team that was on the ice for the first three games isn't close to a playoff team.

It's up to Arniel and his coaching staff to fix that. He's going to have a chance. It's likely nothing would happen unless we continued to struggle mightily when Wiz returns...
This sums it up nicely.

Old
10-12-2011, 08:49 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
Before I ignore this thred, I just have to say it is by far the dumbest thread I've seen in years.
Try not to be so definitive.

Old
10-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Try not to be so definitive.
It is never a good idea to speak in absolutes. Never.

Old
10-12-2011, 08:57 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
It's turning into a discussion about Arniel. Probably very premature but this start is concerning.

The Hitch part coming back is borderline insane. I would rank it around 1% or less. The amount of things that would have to go a certain way in order for it to become feasible are just unfathomable. That bridge was burned down. Ownership would have to believe the bridge was worth building again. Even then there's no guarantee it can be or would be stable.

I want to focus on the future. There are almost no good ways in which Hitch would return. That would indicate a team in total chaos. That's not the state of the team I would like to see.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Skraut

Quote:
What does that matter? We are supposed to be competing for a playoff spot. The team that was on the ice for the first three games isn't close to a playoff team.

So a team that has played 3 games together should be able to beat a team that made it within 1 game of winning the Stanley cup?

a team that has played 2 games together should be able to beat a team which has only lost 1 home opener in it's existence?

a team playing in it's first game together should be able to erase the history of losses to Nashville?

I'm not making excuses, I'm saying give this damn team time to Gel. There are sloppy passes everywhere, missed opportunities abound, the guys don't know what each other is going to do and they've still been "in" 2 of the 3 of these games. This is what happens when you turn over a roster. This is what happens when you completely shuffle your roster. This is what happens when you mix up your defensive corps completely, and are missing the guy you paid the big bucks too to help you on your powerplay. This is what happens when linemates don't know the tendencies of each other. This is what happens when you have 4 rookies on the roster, and 1 on IR. This is what happens when you have a brand new coach coaching the powerplay with players he's never seen before.

The talent is there, we can see it. But it's not instinctive yet. Defensive pairings aren't set, and they wont be at least until Wiz gets back. Lines are getting shuffled like crazy, we have centers playing wings, and wings switching sides of the ice.

This isn't football. an 0-3 start doesn't end your season. Relax the end of the world isn't here. We still have a couple months before 2012.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:23 AM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
As I said before, it's not so much that we're 0-3. It's how we got to 0-3. Now there an adjustment period for new players and changes in the roster. But our top players are pretty much our top players from last year. Carter and Propsal look engaged and are producing. Outside of Nash, the rest of our vets aren't faring very well.

My slogan for this season is "No excuses". I'm tired of hearing them and one of those (the schedule) is being use far too often for my liking. From the coaching staff and now the fans.
These excerpts, especially the bolded parts, pretty much sum up my feelings. I was willing to be a lot more patient with Arniel until he played the "we're tired" card. I just groaned when I heard it. I was tired of hearing it years ago when we'd hear it mid- to late season. He lost a lot of credibility by using that excuse after three games.

I'm not buying the idea that Richards poses a threat to Arniel yet. He's supposed to be the power play guy, but 0-16 is an alarming start, despite being without The Wiz and needing time to gel. If he can't get production in his specialty area, I wouldn't trust him with overall coaching responsibility.

I'm willing to accept some amount of time for things to "gel," but I don't know how long that should be (I think we debate this every year). While I get that it takes time for people to adjust to new teammates and new systems, most of these guys have many years as pros (and even the kids have been playing for many years), and presumably have succeeded under multiple different systems and with many different lineups throughout their playing careers, or they wouldn't have made it this far. 10 games sounds generous, and maybe as many as 15, given the Wiz's suspension. If we're still worrying about gelling after that, I tend to think it's either the makeup of the team (Howson) or the coaching.

Edit -- OK, the bolding didn't work.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:29 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
How about option 6. Its only 3 games in and I am ready to blow the whole thing up.
This was implied by your screenname.

I vote: "Who is Hitch?"

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:39 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
So a team that has played 3 games together should be able to beat a team that made it within 1 game of winning the Stanley cup?
And I'm sure they had similar discussions. Are we a good team right now?

Quote:
a team that has played 2 games together should be able to beat a team which has only lost 1 home opener in it's existence?

a team playing in it's first game together should be able to erase the history of losses to Nashville?
You sure have the excuses all lined up in a row there don't you? Do you notice that I said "get points"? After all the years of hockey, I'm sure you know that doesn't imply they have to come from wins right?

Quote:
This isn't football. an 0-3 start doesn't end your season. Relax the end of the world isn't here. We still have a couple months before 2012.
Thanks Dougie. I realize it's an 82 game schedule. What part of we could turn this around do you not understand? I brought up the gelling, I brought up most to all of the issues.

What I am said that I am NOT concerned about being 0-3. I am concerned how we played our way to 0-3.

I'm not predicting gloom and doom. Read, comprehend, and move on.

My theme has been. We are unstructured and undisciplined. Arniel needs to fix it not spout off about the schedule. Had we played better, we would have points. We may or may not have a win, but we'd have points.