HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reinstate Hitch?

View Poll Results: ? Reinstate Hitch
Yes, now. 6 7.59%
No, never. 51 64.56%
Ask me again if we're 0-8 6 7.59%
Ask me again if we're 0-12 11 13.92%
Keep Arneil in charge, but force him to appoint Hitch as an assistant in charge of the D. 5 6.33%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

vCash: 500
I'm not going to enter in the Arniel - Hitch debate. Like most fans, I am disappointed in the start and I admit I have had small doubts creeping in about Arniel.

I also recognize it's an relatively irrational fear at this point. Here is something that I recalled which I'm using to keep perspective...

Think back to 2 years ago. There were high hopes for the Canucks to take the next step after a disappointing exit from the playoffs. There was added angst because they were going to have a record road trip in the new year because of the 2010 Olympics. The feeling was that they had to make their weighted early home schedule count.

They stumbled out of the blocks and dropped the first one to Calgary and then the next one to Colorado. Rumblings started among the fanbase and our Jackets were set to roll into town for the 3rd game. Hitch made a comment about how every time we went to Vancouver, the Canucks always seemed to be biting at the bit to break a slump they were in at the time.

Anyways, the Jackets snuck out with the W. If angst were graded on the terrorism color scale, the color in Vancouver would have been infrared. I believe Vigneault made some quotes to the press that everyone had to chill and that it still had only been 3 games.

The moral? They won their next 2 games, finished the season with 103 points and no one remembered the start come Christmas.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:18 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post

The moral? They won their next 2 games, finished the season with 103 points and no one remembered the start come Christmas.
My morals have generally been pretty shaky, but I might see the light if we follow the same path as those Nucks!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:21 AM
CapnCornelius

The team isn't scoring...so let's bring back Ken Hitchcock.

Yeah, this makes sense.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:54 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
The team isn't scoring...so let's bring back Ken Hitchcock.

Yeah, this makes sense.
The funny part is that the 2008/9 Jackets scored 226 goals. If I'm not mistaken, the most in team history. We scored 223 in 05/06. Yes, I realize that's a pathetic amount but 231 was good for 8th in the West last year.

Arniel's team actually scored one less goal last year than the 09/10 team.

Hopefully we score more than 226. We should, just by pure talent alone.

I wish we could play the alternate reality card (something simulate it), I bet Hitch leading this team would score more than 226 and just as many, if not more, as this team lead by Arniel. No way to prove it obviously and I'm sure I'll get some scorn. But coaching and taking Nash off the PK did nothing, for example.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:56 PM
CapnCornelius

Here's another alternate reality which will be fun to watch develop if Florida has a better season than us--what if we picked Dineen instead of Arniel?

Either way, too early to play this game.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:07 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Here's another alternate reality which will be fun to watch develop if Florida has a better season than us--what if we picked Dineen instead of Arniel?

Just having fun. Didn't take the poll seriously. Since you are comparing different teams, you analogy sucks... :p

(just kidding around, don't go off)

However, your previous comment did amuse me. Many because of a bit of irony as well as how pathetic it really is.

Old
10-12-2011, 03:35 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Noooooooooo no no no.

Bad idea. Hitch has outdated formulas and outdated ways to reach players. His system is stuck in the trap era.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Why in the world do you want to go back? Kind of been there done that, it it didn't end well.

Not for or against Hitch as a coach per se, would just point out that even with the number of slots that were open, he is still on the sideline.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:33 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Why in the world do you want to go back? Kind of been there done that, it it didn't end well.

Not for or against Hitch as a coach per se, would just point out that even with the number of slots that were open, he is still on the sideline.
Technically true, but not is always as it seems on the surface.

Old
10-12-2011, 04:33 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
Noooooooooo no no no.

Bad idea. Hitch has outdated formulas and outdated ways to reach players. His system is stuck in the trap era.
With all due respect, this is propagated nonsense.

Old
10-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Technically true, but not is always as it seems on the surface.
Also true, but something seems amiss. I find it strange that he wasn't even interviewed. I was surprised, I really thought that there would be at least some interest. The man, at least from all reports, knows the game of hockey. He is a hockey lifer, just don't understand why he isn't involved somewhere, doing something.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:42 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:23 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:

You da man... I'm all over the Panthers this season, Kevin Dineen is from a hockey family dynasty, the Sabres liked him too... lol

Go back four years Capt, my pick was Dudley not Howson. Can you imagine Dudley as GM and Dineen as HC.. the CBJ would be 3-1 or better right now and playoff bound.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:55 AM
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!

Oh dear, what a terrible start for the Jackets, one lousy point in four games

Yes you need Hitch back, and you need Tollefsen on the blueline

To be honest, Howson has done so many mistakes I can't believe he's still in the GM chair.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:27 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Sorry but every GM made mistakes, but Howson made many good things too. And I do not know whether Dudley would be savior... IMO not. Our problem was Doug MacLean and what was there after his leaving... see how many years have Isles problems with heritage afte Milbury... but MacLean was not too better plus Howson could not build a team under basic on the young players like Snow because we wanted PO and had Hitch who prefered vets in the roster. It was our problem from all our history we never build the team like Pens or Hawks. If he should a chance to make it... we would be better now. GM is not a boss, owner is a boss, president is over him too.

Last edited by mt-svk: 10-13-2011 at 08:40 AM.
mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Byrral

We might need a new coach but it isn't going to be Hitch. And that's nothing against Hitch either.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:31 AM
3 goals = chili

Send a message via Skype™ to 3 goals = chili

3 goals = chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:45 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

However much Hitch was/is still beloved by fans in the fanbase, it will and should never happen.

Reinstating/Rehiring of Hitchcock or putting him back into a position of power to directly effect the product on the ice will be seen as a step backwards, kinda of a "We didn't realized we had some things right a few seasons ago" mantra, what was right with 3-21?

I'm not outwardly panicking right now, but this team squandered away what SHOULD have been a win last night, for a team with playoff aspirations thats 0-3-1 right now, thats a disappointing sign.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Even if it was a possibility, it's too early for a coaching change. But putting this aside, I think we have to consider the realities of the CBJ situation even if they continue to struggle towards the 1/4 season mark (which I'd like to believe won't happen).

Reality 1: With both Arniel and Hitch on the payroll, I find it highly unlikely that ownership would green-light the hiring of a new coach. I'd be willing to speculate that if Howson requested this, he'd be vetoed by upper management.

Reality 2: As others said - no way they go back. They've been jettisoning the Hitch-type players (vets, big shutdown D). Then they're going to say "Whoops, we made a mistake, give us another year or two to get a Hitch-like team back in place"? No chance.

Taking these 2 realities into account, I believe there is no possibility of a coaching change. no matter how bad the year gets, this is for the two Scott's to dig themselves out of. If not they both will be gone at year's end.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:05 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Also true, but something seems amiss. I find it strange that he wasn't even interviewed. I was surprised, I really thought that there would be at least some interest. The man, at least from all reports, knows the game of hockey. He is a hockey lifer, just don't understand why he isn't involved somewhere, doing something.
While it's true he has no formal interview that I am aware of, how do you know he has not garnered interest? Seems that you are making some assumptions. He has been involved in things, including some coaching with team Canada.

Old
10-13-2011, 12:24 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Reinstating/Rehiring of Hitchcock or putting him back into a position of power to directly effect the product on the ice will be seen as a step backwards, kinda of a "We didn't realized we had some things right a few seasons ago" mantra, what was right with 3-21?
Let's just start by saying I'm not promoting anything. It's hard to even envision a reasonable hypothetical in which he came back. But your statement seems to be based, in part, on the PR aspect. With < 9k fans in the building last night are we really worried about perception?

Hitch had a very poor streak hit. Whether the body of work justified the termination is a matter for debate. It certainly didn't justify him retaining his position. However, nothing changed with a coaching change. Hate to say it, but the cat is already out of the bag. The GM already spend 100M+ this off season. It's already implied that the coach was not fully responsible for the record on the ice. That the GM holds, at least, equal responsibility.

Hitch mentioned in and it will start to resonate more as time goes on (especially if we continue to lose). That was an impressive result with that roster in 08/09.

While it's true that Mason came up big, let's remember that his pre all-star performance was far more impressive than his post all-star game performance. 2.0 .vs. 2.5. with a very similar record. Meaning other things were happening with the team. I remember the way that team came together and it was far more then just the goalie. That level of compete hasn't been seen much in our locker room since. The loss of Manny, I'm convinced, cut far deeper than anticipated. I'd say Peca as well, perhaps more in the locker room than on the ice.

There's something missing that we haven't seen much since that playoff year. I hope they rediscover that soon. There was a real synergy between the players and the fans. You could feel the energy of the fans willing the player to victory. I haven't felt that since.

Times have changed and this is what we have. Sounds like Wiz is the kind of player we want. Maybe he'll end up being that glue we've been missing.

Old
10-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post

To be honest, Howson has done so many mistakes I can't believe he's still in the GM chair.
Tollefsen sucks worse than Russell.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinNow View Post
Tollefsen sucks worse than Russell.
Those two used to play together. But that was a few years ago, I'm surprised if Russell isn't a better player by now.

In my opinion Jackets blueline looks weak. What happened to Commodore and Hejda? More bad moves from Howson..

Tollefsen is doing well btw, he's now captain of Swedish elite team Modo.
Also the Predators offered him a one-way deal a couple of months ago, but his Modo contract didn't allow him to leave, and they couldn't let go of their captain.
Yes he was mad, but that's how it is.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:41 PM
blahblah

Junior and Priest have a cup of coffee with Hitch tomorrow morning....

Hey Hitch, any chance your bored and wanna finish out your contract?

Hitch: Maybe... But I gotta here you say it...

Ok... I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not attractive.

Hitch: Ok.. as long as you can admit it...

Old
10-15-2011, 10:55 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post

There are 30 NHL teams. Not one of them thinks OK is the answer.

TaketheCannoli is online now   Reply With Quote