HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reinstate Hitch?

View Poll Results: ? Reinstate Hitch
Yes, now. 6 7.59%
No, never. 51 64.56%
Ask me again if we're 0-8 6 7.59%
Ask me again if we're 0-12 11 13.92%
Keep Arneil in charge, but force him to appoint Hitch as an assistant in charge of the D. 5 6.33%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-16-2011, 12:01 AM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Yeah, Arniel's losing streak isn't bad enough. Clearly the answer is bringing back the coach who set the mark for futility during the December to Unremember.

Here's a thought--neither Hitch nor Arniel were the right guy for the job. Instead of re-making old mistakes, let's build this organization right for a change and really clean house instead of paying lip service to it and then just letting a couple fall guys go.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 05:24 AM
jore

The world is full of coaches, why on earth would we want to bring back someone who already failed with the organization? It's not like other teams have been rushing to sign Hitch since he's been available. The game has passed him, let the old man spend his days in peace.

If we really have to bring back one of the past guys, let it be Doug Mac. At least he could hype up the bunch of unwilling, non-skilled athletes...

jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:49 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jore View Post
The world is full of coaches, why on earth would we want to bring back someone who already failed with the organization? It's not like other teams have been rushing to sign Hitch since he's been available. The game has passed him, let the old man spend his days in peace.

If we really have to bring back one of the past guys, let it be Doug Mac. At least he could hype up the bunch of unwilling, non-skilled athletes...
Here's a few for you....

1. Arniel isn't working
2. We're spending over 62 million
3. We would already have 2 head coaches under contract. I'm sure that's what ownership is looking for... Spend money on a third head coach this year.
4. Howson probably wouldn't be far behind and you'll want the new GM to pick his coach.
5. We've already proved the last year+ how that Hitch wasn't the root cause.

Reasons we wouldn't.

1. Hitch might have to think about a choice between sitting in lock up for the duration of his contract than coach the Jackets again.
2. Uncomfortable situation for everyone involved.
3. Bad PR.

You may or may not like Hitch as a head coach, that's fine. But I'm not sure you understand what the word interim is.

Things aren't always what they seem on coaching searches. Meaning, you really have zero idea what interest there has nor hasn't been in Hitch. However, if he was that bad, team Canada wouldn't be using him. They certainly wouldn't want him anywhere near the kids.

At any rate, your post is just regurgitation of the same stuff that's been said over the years. Doesn't seem like you gave much thought to the situation. I don't think anyone was all that serious about it, nor do I think anything actually thinks it will happen. I think Capn wakes up in a cold sweat with the image however.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:29 PM
CBJCougar

Interesting.... http://twitter.com/#!/Aportzline

Aportzline Aaron Portzline
#CBJ president Mike Priest watching practice for a 2nd straight day, this time w former #CBJ coach Ken Hitchcock, who's still under contract

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:57 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post

#CBJ president Mike Priest watching practice for a 2nd straight day, this time w former #CBJ coach Ken Hitchcock, who's still under contract
i hope it does not mean anything because hitch is not solution... i have a sense that bass or byers and his hard play help us and than people understand why we need boll

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:09 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
i hope it does not mean anything because hitch is not solution... i have a sense that bass or byers and his hard play help us and than people understand why we need boll
I don't think it means that they are considering putting Hitch back in that coaching position either. I only see it as taking advantage of his experience to help determine the cause and solution. Sometimes an extra set of eyes helps.

Jared Boll has more depth than just his enforcer role. He was tapped over the season to help welcome the new people and may have more of a leadership role than realized.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:17 PM
blahblah

Quote:

To be fair, Hitch is around a lot more then you think he is.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:20 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
To be fair, Hitch is around a lot more then you think he is.
I would hope. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think we're handing him a big check and not getting anything in return. I was glad to see he was there today. If they will listen...

Old
10-17-2011, 02:24 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I would hope. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think we're handing him a big check and not getting anything in return. I was glad to see he was there today. If they will listen...
Priest might be listening. I doubt Arniel is or has the desire to. Meaning I don't think they are using Hitch's knowledge or experience on the ice.

Some will think that's a good thing, others a bad thing.

Actually I think we are handing him a big fat check and getting nothing in return.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:30 PM
jore

Quote:
Here's a few for you....
1. Arniel isn't working
Hitch wasn't working

Quote:
2. We're spending over 62 million
We're still spending over 62 million if Hitch takes over. Adding another coach to payroll won't make much difference financially.

Quote:
3. We would already have 2 head coaches under contract. I'm sure that's what ownership is looking for... Spend money on a third head coach this year.
Quite likely not, but few more losses and do they have a choice?

Quote:
4. Howson probably wouldn't be far behind and you'll want the new GM to pick his coach.
Sack both, let the new GM pick his coach.

Quote:
5. We've already proved the last year+ how that Hitch wasn't the root cause.
Hitch never was the answer either.

Quote:
Things aren't always what they seem on coaching searches. Meaning, you really have zero idea what interest there has nor hasn't been in Hitch.
Zero idea? If teams wanted him there would have been rumors and interviews. If teams wanted him he'd be coaching instead of sitting in the stands. There might have been some interest in him, but obviously not a whole lot.

Quote:
However, if he was that bad, team Canada wouldn't be using him. They certainly wouldn't want him anywhere near the kids.
You've been following hockey long enough so that you should understand the difference between NHL franchise and hockey world championships. Canada played seven games in the tournament. Reckon a seven game competition could value different coaching skills than coaching NHL franchise long term? A two week tournament also forgives some of the coach's weaknesses that would hurt the team in regular NHL season(s). Kids might be wrong term do describe the team anyway. Jeff Skinner and Evander Kane were the only players under 20 on the team, and there wasn't a whole lot of need to develop them for the competition.

The coach team Canada used the year before Hitch was Craig MacTavish. I have zero idea how much interest there was in sacked MacTavish, but after two years without coaching job he signed to AHL. With Hitch's guidance Canada finished 5th on the tournament, so maybe that achievement earns him AHL job as well.

jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:09 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Priest might be listening. I doubt Arniel is or has the desire to. Meaning I don't think they are using Hitch's knowledge or experience on the ice.

Some will think that's a good thing, others a bad thing.

Actually I think we are handing him a big fat check and getting nothing in return.
I think AP tweeted that Priest was there for the 2nd day too. I tend to doubt Arniel would listen either. So what is your take on why he is there?

Old
10-17-2011, 03:20 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jore View Post
Hitch wasn't working
Nope, at the time he wasn't.

Quote:
We're still spending over 62 million if Hitch takes over. Adding another coach to payroll won't make much difference financially.
Most coaches contracts are multi-year. This discussion was only interim. Now if you would like to hire a coach under the same GM part of the way through the year on a multi-year deal, go for it.

Quote:
Quite likely not, but few more losses and do they have a choice?
Yes they do have choices. At the very beginning I said Richards.

Quote:
Sack both, let the new GM pick his coach.
That's what's been suggested for the last week and by me. You have to remember I am NOT advocating bringing Hitch in as the interim. I new GM is probably going to give someone the interim anyway.

Quote:
Hitch never was the answer either.
Best coach in our history and better than most in the NHL. Hitch has probably forgotten more about hockey than what Arniel knows. That's not intended as an insult to Arniel, it's simply a matter of experience.

Quote:
Zero idea? If teams wanted him there would have been rumors and interviews. If teams wanted him he'd be coaching instead of sitting in the stands. There might have been some interest in him, but obviously not a whole lot.
That is not as true as you think it is. You would be really surprised to see what goes on behind the scenes that never hits the rumor mills.

Quote:
You've been following hockey long enough so that you should understand the difference between NHL franchise and hockey world championships.
What I do know is that team Canada thinks very highly of him, as do many around the league. There's a perception about him that isn't accurate. Believe me or not, I don't care.

I would have to look at the exact exchange again, but my guess is that we had a bit of a context issue (especially that last one). You seem to be arguing from the perspective I am for reinstatement. I am not.

Having said that, Priest probably has more sellers remorse then you would think. You are obviously an anti-Hitch guy. That's fine. The reality is, he's a far better coach than most of what's out on the market right now. We probably aren't going to find better during the regular season. Nothing on the Jackets current bench is.

The current trend right now is to hire young and within the AHL ranks. You also had several veteran teams that were far more patient with their teams last year than anticipated. It's hard to fight trends in hockey (or any sport). Hitch's best chance is to latch onto a veteran under performing team.

What is old will become new again... Most of Hitch's system is scattered in varying degrees amongst most teams out there. Most system are just the same things with a few twists for certain teams. Attacking styles are more in vogue right now. Hitch's is more passive. Passive, neutral zone teams still exist and some do it fairly well. Plus it isn't as pretty. Goal scoring is going way down, just look at the scoring trends since the lock out. While not quite to pre-lockout numbers, it's trending that way. We had 4 teams under 200 goals last year.

Old
10-17-2011, 03:26 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I think AP tweeted that Priest was there for the 2nd day too. I tend to doubt Arniel would listen either. So what is your take on why he is there?

My take is that Priest wants another view into what's going on, on the ice. The problem is I think he's going to get very political answers from Hitch.

This isn't how the season was supposed to start, the owners stuck their neck out. This is hurting the gate, when it was supposed to help. I am sure there is a great deal more panic in that org than there is on these forums.

One thing you can take solace from, if you are a bit like me. Howson is sweating bullets.

Old
10-17-2011, 03:50 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
My take is that Priest wants another view into what's going on, on the ice. The problem is I think he's going to get very political answers from Hitch.

This isn't how the season was supposed to start, the owners stuck their neck out. This is hurting the gate, when it was supposed to help. I am sure there is a great deal more panic in that org than there is on these forums.

One thing you can take solace from, if you are a bit like me. Howson is sweating bullets.
Ok, thanks. I would hope they all are sweating.

Old
10-17-2011, 04:04 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I would hope they all are sweating.
I guess that's the part that I think is missing with that gagnefan exchange I had yesterday. The front office of the Jackets is going to be in a pure frenzy. This isn't a team in coming off a playoff run that sells out every game. This is a team that if it doesn't improve will lose 30 million or more this year. They went all in.

Now if the front office is sweating hard, what expectation would there be that the fans would be calm (or even that they should be)? This team has never preformed well, other than 1 brief year which is now a distant memory. What expectation would there be that we can turn this around?

You might as well say there is a 1% chance that we are going to be hit by an ELE next week and expect to not have a run on the banks, grocery stores, and have rioting in the streets.

Old
10-17-2011, 04:35 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
I guess that's the part that I think is missing with that gagnefan exchange I had yesterday. The front office of the Jackets is going to be in a pure frenzy. This isn't a team in coming off a playoff run that sells out every game. This is a team that if it doesn't improve will lose 30 million or more this year. They went all in.

Now if the front office is sweating hard, what expectation would there be that the fans would be calm (or even that they should be)? This team has never preformed well, other than 1 brief year which is now a distant memory. What expectation would there be that we can turn this around?

You might as well say there is a 1% chance that we are going to be hit by an ELE next week and expect to not have a run on the banks, grocery stores, and have rioting in the streets.
Not to mention the very public debate on financial assistance to keep the team in town...

Old
10-19-2011, 01:49 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Let the rumors began.

“@w101dgj: BREAKING NEWS: Per @Aportzline during #CBJ chat, Hitchcock is a possible replacement for Arniel if things don't turn around soon.”

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:10 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Hitch didn't have the talent that Arniel enjoys right now either. Before I hitch up to Hitch, I'd have to be convinced he'll change his system to be a little less demanding physically so we don't crash again during the long haul of the NHL season with no gas in the tank for the playoffs (should we make them).

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:29 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Let the rumors began.

“@w101dgj: BREAKING NEWS: Per @Aportzline during #CBJ chat, Hitchcock is a possible replacement for Arniel if things don't turn around soon.”
Read the transcript, nothing to see here.

Here was AP's quote.

Quote:
But if the struggles in Columbus continue, you'll hear Hitchcock's name more prominently as a possible coaching replacement.
Mainly sounds like just normal rumor increasing.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...kets-chat.html

Old
10-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Let the rumors began.

EDIT:
blahblah beat me to it - nonetheless...

Quote:
Portzline: Hitch was at practice with Mike Priest on Monday, too. He and Priest have remained very close since the firing. Priest leans on him hard, but I don't think the rest of the organization does. I've heard he'll start working with the AHL club in the near future. But if the struggles in Columbus continue, you'll hear Hitchcock's name more prominently as a possible coaching replacement. Priest has always thought very highly of him.

Old
10-19-2011, 02:39 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Read the transcript, nothing to see here.

Here was AP's quote.

Mainly sounds like just normal rumor increasing.

lol I had a feeling the tweet was an over blown version of the truth, but seeing what was really said over blown is an understatment.

Old
10-19-2011, 02:44 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
lol I had a feeling the tweet was an over blown version of the truth, but seeing what was really said over blown is an understatment.
Not to mention that, shortly thereafter, Porty again pledged his devotion to Zenon Konopka as the solution to the problems!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:46 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Vote Hitch Konopka 2012?

Old
10-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Hitch Konopka
OK, if you're at a place where you can do this... say this out loud. It's way cool sounding.

Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:51 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 1900
Just an observations based on roughly looking at records.

In the last 29 games ...
Arniel: 3-18-8
Hitch: 9-16-4

Last edited by IBleedUnionBlue: 10-22-2011 at 04:52 PM.
IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote