HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sens win in a shootout! (Ottawa 4 - Minny 3 SO)

Old
10-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens n Riders View Post
haha good call! especially his goal against the leafs, thats defiantly the kinda spot where Briere scores from.
same release as well, but ya his backchecking, constant hustle, soft hands, vision, quick acceleration, and high hockey IQ are exactly what Danny Briere brings to the table.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Push540

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
When I'm at the game, I often watch for these things as I'm curious to how coaches respond. I made a note of watching the bench as Gonchar misplayed the PP and the crowd booed. On the first whistle during the PP, Gonchar started to skate towards the bench, Maclean then gestured with his hand and it looked like he said: "Stay on!" rather angrily (from my vantage point, again just my view) and Karlsson was replaced by Runblad. Once Gonchar did go off, I noticed that the pairings of Kuba-Karlsson, and Phillips-Runblad were interchanged about 3 times.

I have no idea if it was because of Gonchar's play or the crowd or just Maclean playing the match-ups. It was just something I noticed.

And expecting the Ottawa media to ask an informative question? Have you read the Sun or the Citizen? They're more concerned with getting fans to boo players during introductions....
Paul MacLean has stated several times that he is going to juggle lines for a couple of months and he has been constantly changing the lines.

To try and guess or read his mind is a bit much. And if he did bench Gonny because of the bad PP, then it was to get him on a new line or have someone take his place on the PP or to get his new set of lines in rhythm. Not to punish anyone.

And coaches yelling "stay on" is kind of meaningless to, arena's have p*** poor acoustics and there is always a lot of noise at NHL games, yelling is mandatory to be heard. And if the Gonch was in trouble, he would have lost ice time. As it was he has the 2nd most TOI out of anyone on the team.

I haven't read any local newspaper but there are also television networks in Ottawa covering games, online media, radio show etc....

And no one commented on Gonchar being punished/ yelled at/ benched/ reprimanded or anything of the sort. I think this mountian is a molehill.

I'm not fan of his right now and I never really followed him much but I won't kick him in the groin when he's down either.

Push540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Karlssonlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post
Very proud of the SBP crowd last night.

I wish we could see that more often from a non-Toronto/Montreal game.

Aside from the Heatley hate, the crowd was very much engaged in the game.
They were in to the game the whole night. It was great.

Good Job Ottawa!
+1

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:24 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Neil chosen as NHL's 2nd star for yesterday.

Good for him!

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
The booing of Gonchar was absolutely classless, I couldn't believe it.
For what it's worth he played much better near the end of the game, he started moving his legs and with that came solid puck movement.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:38 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
The booing of Gonchar was absolutely classless, I couldn't believe it.
For what it's worth he played much better near the end of the game, he started moving his legs and with that came solid puck movement.
Agreed, he looked like a different player mid-way through the 2nd.

Booing Kuba was also ridiculous. He's been solid this year (although he had a bad shift toward the end of the game where he misplayed a rush).

10-12-2011, 11:41 AM
SenzZen
C(as)H/CH-CH-ing

I only caught the second half of the game, so missed (thankfully, from the sound of it) the introductions. To quote the great Denis Lemieux: "My allergy to those f***ing fans, you know, has returned."

Anyway, great to get a win for the new coach. Neil grabbed the team by the bootstraps and it was great to see Alf cap it off in the SO.

Rundblad's poise with the puck is evident, and apart from looking a bit lost with Heatley bearing down on him towards the end of the game exceeded my expectations of him for a debut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
he doesn't do anything he's physical but can't get into the slot and wants to prove something so he takes weak shots from around the point when he's entering the zone. i think he'll get more out of the SEL....... but i'm not the coach either so if they kept him here i would trust ottawa's descision.
It was his first game at wing in the NHL- I think it's great to move him around and see how he performs in other positions, but the guy is a C.

Working his way into the slot is something that he should learn slowly, and in the NHL. Thank God Da Costa was ok after Phaneuf caught him. SEL is a step back for his development IMO- and I have a lot of respect for that league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Not taking away his skill in the offensive zone but Gonchar still sucks and made a lot of soft down low plays. Could have easily cost the game in the 3rd where he used a stick reach instead of his body to try stopping a guy from coming off the corner boards and right in front of the net for a great shot on Anderson..
I remember that exact play, and thought it ironic that our vets were the ones trying to give the game away- I'm including Spezza's terrible giveaway to Clutterbuck in there, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
On the rookies.

You can see the talent is there for Zibby, but he needs to become more polished in the NA game, I say send him down to Bingo or SEL and bring up Petersson.
How can you say that, and then suggest sending him to the SEL immediately afterward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
Sorry.

This is ok then I guess.

SV%: .867 GAA: 4.36

Anderson hasn't been good to start the season. He wasn't good tonight.

The first goal was weak. The third goal was weak. He didn't get a lot of work (which, to be fair, is hard for a goalie) and he was outplayed at the other end of the rink. If Backstrom has anything like Anderson's game, Ottawa blows Minny out of the arena.

Mediocrity wasn't ok from Gerber, it wasn't ok from Leclaire, it wasn't ok from Elliott and it isn't ok from Anderson. Sorry for having higher standards of my team's goaltenders?
Just a dumb assessment in bold. How can you fault a goalie for a deflection? Or for not squaring up to Spezza banking the puck off Rundblad's skate and into the net?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
There's a lot of drama in here after a solid win.

Sad.
Oh no you didn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
I missed part of the intro. Did they mention Carkner, Winchester, Filatov and Butler when they introduced everyone else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenacusMaximus View Post
No, they were not introduced.
Disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Really fun game. Most enjoyable watch in a long time .
That being said, I have only been embarrassed as a Sens fan 3 times:

1) The Paddock Collapse
2) Booing Jason Spezza (we all know how that turned out)
3) Booing Sergei Gonchar

I mean I know its not necessarily YOU guys, but I think the hate for him on here spread and as helped harbour the toxic attitude towards him. He played well near the end of the year and we're 2 games in... You think he's gonna put in an effort if he gets booed? Gonchar of all people? Thats ****ing stupid and I, for one, think that if he's getting booed continuously, from the start of the year, IN HIS OWN BARN... he has no reason to show us any effort. He's made a few lazy plays, imo they're probably him just being hesitant and discouraged. He played well in the last bit of the game and if you boo Gonchar... well screw you. Thats all.
I like this post. Especially the end.

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:46 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

What's funny is that Gonchar probably had his best game after being booed.

Kuba probably did too.

Old
10-12-2011, 11:52 AM
SENSfreak_03

Like candy in the rain.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Did anyone notice that after his horrific PP effort (when the crowd really turned on him), that Maclean glued him to the bench for almost 3 straight shifts?

Do you think that was done to send him a message about his play or to take the crowd heat off of him?
I think it's just your perception. These are his shifts starting with the PP at 4:08

Code:
#  Per      Start       End    Elapsed Time
12	2	4:08 	5:37  	01:29	 
13	2	7:37        8:01  	00:24	 
14	2	9:49      10:27  	00:38	 
15	2	12:22    13:35  	01:13	 
16	2	14:13    16:14  	02:01
He was out for 1:30, then sat for 2 minutes, a couple of quick shifts then was back out for two longer shifts. He played more minutes in the 2nd than any other period, it's just that they were concentrated.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:04 PM
SenzZen
C(as)H/CH-CH-ing

Gonchar does need to shoot the puck more on the PP, though. It will open up so many options.

Old
10-12-2011, 12:08 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
Gonchar does need to shoot the puck more on the PP, though. It will open up so many options.
I just about tore my hair out when Alfie made a sublime move to draw two guys into the corner before flinging a behind the back pass right on Gonchar's stick.

Gonchar paused, and paused, and paused some more, before attempting to find Chris Phillips on that far side. I have endless memories of him putting shots into the net from the point when he played for Pittsburgh.

Now, it seems he rarely shoots, and when he does, it's either in the goalies chest or it misses the net.

Hopefully his confidence improves with a solid win.

Old
10-12-2011, 12:38 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

We need more one-timers

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:41 PM
SenzZen
C(as)H/CH-CH-ing

Quote:
I just about tore my hair out when Alfie made a sublime move to draw two guys into the corner before flinging a behind the back pass right on Gonchar's stick.

Gonchar paused, and paused, and paused some more, before attempting to find Chris Phillips on that far side. I have endless memories of him putting shots into the net from the point when he played for Pittsburgh.

Now, it seems he rarely shoots, and when he does, it's either in the goalies chest or it misses the net.

Or barring that- some more booing!!!

How's the new jersey?

Old
10-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Ari91

I feel I need to preface my post by pointing out that I'm a Leafs fan coming in peace, lol.

Just wanted to say congrats on the win. I normally wouldn't venture over to congratulate a fanbase over their season's first win, however, looking at the 'who will be the last team to record their first win', I thought a lot of people underestimated the Sens when they picked them.3rd periods really seem to the turning point for the team. In each of their games, they've really pushed back in the last period and last night they were finally rewarded with the win to show for it.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Senacus Maximus
AlfSilferssonScores

vCash: 284
Quote:

Me and my buddies were getting pretty belligerent after that sad display. Gonchar had so much time and space; but he decides to pass to Philips, who had two Wild players near him.

Senacus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:57 PM
SenzZen
C(as)H/CH-CH-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenacusMaximus View Post
Me and my buddies were getting pretty belligerent after that sad display. Gonchar had so much time and space; but he decides to pass to Philips, who had two Wild players near him.
But more importantly: was Chris Phillips!

Old
10-12-2011, 12:58 PM
operasen

I am not a big fan of booing our players - however I will say that we pay top dollar for a ticket about 20 times a year for our group of fans. Gonchar makes more money in the intermission than I do in a day. 5.5 Million a year. And there are expectations that come with that.

Passionate fans do not get to talk to the players. There only real possibility is to let the play know when they see him - on the ice.

I think the Kovalev factor of listless play for big bucks has caught the attention of the fanbase and they are not pleased.

Its about time some of these prima donnas take responsibility for their actions and their level of compete. I believe that was the fans message last evening.

When you are in a 5 star restaurant, paying 5 star prices and the meal is bad or the staff ineffecient - you expect the establishment to react immediately and they do. Gonchar (or any other) does not pay back a penny to anyone, poor service or not.

While I did not boo myself, I do not blame those who did. A spade is a spade sometimes, even when we wish it wasn't. Passionate fans who pay that kind of coin and spend that kind of time are allowed to have expectations.

When Gonchar was playing with intensity, there was no booing. When he screwed up, the fans let him know they expect better. That's okay.

I've sat too many nights in ScotiaBank where I thought there was probably more noise in the library. It was GREAT to see and hear our fans engage and get involved. Well Done!

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I feel I need to preface my post by pointing out that I'm a Leafs fan coming in peace, lol.

Just wanted to say congrats on the win. I normally wouldn't venture over to congratulate a fanbase over their season's first win, however, looking at the 'who will be the last team to record their first win', I thought a lot of people underestimated the Sens when they picked them.3rd periods really seem to the turning point for the team. In each of their games, they've really pushed back in the last period and last night they were finally rewarded with the win to show for it.
Thanks...I think people think very shortsighted to think the Sens are bad enough to finish dead last. For one, as soon as a franchise says rebuild...the media runs on it like it means doomed like the Oilers rebuild. I don't think it's quite that deep of a situation.

-Regin was part of the reason Ottawa couldn't get going last year...there's so much jump in his game. They are saying if anyone should bounce back with a coaching change, it's him....not a game breaker but a guy that plays a really clean game and wins battles and can chip offense. Apparently he hated coming to the rink with Clouston as coach.

-Da Costa looks like a rookie that can play top 6 with good players right now. His puck possession qualities are outstanding and man the kid shows great smarts....him and Alfie especially were clicking in the 1st period like crazy. This guy could be a bit of a surprise player, that we got for free.

-Spezza's gotta stay healthy, Karlsson's gotta take another step in his own zone...Vets have to play adequately. Alfie almost looked like a kid again, may have looked the best he has in quite a while.

It may well be a lottery team, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was in 5-10 come draft day.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:01 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

As far as the booing, the booing during the introductions is what peeves me more than during the actual game, during the game I can see, but introducing a guy on opening night? That stings.

I watched the Wild feed since it was in HD and they seemed really shocked at the Gonchar booing all game.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:07 PM
ShotDownCrosby

Glad that we got our FIRST WIN... and it didn't take us too many games.

I missed the game, but got to watch highlights, and it really seemed like we dominated the game.

Hopefully this gives us a little spark, and that our team starts to gel. Lots of new players, so it will take time --- glad it didn't take weeks!

GO SENS GO!!! Lets win some more.

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Push540 View Post
So you want the Sens to win? And crapping all over a leader, a struggling defensemen and a veteran is going to help?

Awful parents show disappointment in their children by yelling at them and abusing them. There are laws nowadays to keep this from happening because it isn't helpful, it's actually harmful.

"I yelled at him because I didn't like what he was doing. It won't help him at all but at least I feel better". That could be said about a bully, there are laws against bulling too.

Fans are allowed to be vocal and boo their team and people are allowed to get so drunk they pass out in their own homes, it doesn't mean it's a good idea, pleasant, constructive or socially acceptable.

Saying "I'm a fan", then hampering the progress of one of the players for most of the game and annoying the team as a whole is puzzling. I really don't understand why fans do that. Having the team win comes second to a fans amusement?
You're beginning to sound like Xspyrit (sp?) 2.0...please save the sanctimoniousness for the holidays.

As for the game, Neil looks re-energized which is great.
Rundblad looks a lot safer with the puck.
Alfredsson quiet as a whisper some moments but still able to bring it in the clutch.

Anderson better start posting 1-2 GAA pretty soon because there were "ANDER-SIEVE!!!" chants I could hear, this town will bury you as a goalie so fast it will make your head spin.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:23 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

There was a particularly funny moment at the game last night when there were stats being shown on the jumbotron and it showed that Lee was leading the NHL in hits. Everyone around me was like "yeah go Lee!!! Wait a minute, he isn't playing! Whaaaat??"

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:32 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
There was a particularly funny moment at the game last night when there were stats being shown on the jumbotron and it showed that Lee was leading the NHL in hits. Everyone around me was like "yeah go Lee!!! Wait a minute, he isn't playing! Whaaaat??"

Poor Lee.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:41 PM
H2O

Our team would instantly be better if Lee plays in place of Gonchar. But we're Ottawa, seniority is everything

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote