HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens win in a shootout! (Ottawa 4 - Minny 3 SO)

Old
10-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Push540

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Theres only one true way to settle this debate between these 2, and to settle it like real men. ROBOT WARS.
That looks too dangerous for me. Maybe a "making paper air planes" contest?

Push540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Penner getrdonebryan

Spezza needs a guy who can find open areas,slide in and shoot the puck . I know Butler had a miserable pre-season and he was called out during practice,but he showed at times last season that he understands Jason's game. Put him in real time action and see how he does.
So many good set-up guys on this team - Spezz,Karlsson,Alfie and now with the emergence of Rundblad and DaCosta(hopefully Filatov too), we're great in that area. I was thinking during the game, a player like Heatley would have been perfect for this team right now

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Billy Bridges

If you don't like people booing Gonchar or Kuba, go buy a ticket cheer loud enough to drown out the boobirds.

Billy Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Golden
Börk Börk Börk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bridges View Post
If you don't like people booing Gonchar or Kuba, go buy a ticket cheer loud enough to drown out the boobirds.
I was going to suggest this actually. There's plenty of time this season for people to show their support of Gonchar by cheering him on at the games, should they wish it. As it's only been one game, I don't really think it's something to angst this much about.

Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden View Post
I was going to suggest this actually. There's plenty of time this season for people to show their support of Gonchar by cheering him on at the games, should they wish it. As it's only been one game, I don't really think it's something to angst this much about.
For the home opener it's pretty ****ing terrible no matter how you want to look at it.

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push540 View Post
Lol, if you can't understand a simple sentence, then I understand your frustration.

More simply put, "don't advise people when you're incapable of taking that same advice".
It's too bad that you can't see the discrepancy in your sentence that makes what you 'simply put' not at all what you put. It's ok though, I can tell from your posts that you don't need me to make an ass out of you.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Golden
Börk Börk Börk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
For the home opener it's pretty ****ing terrible no matter how you want to look at it.
I think that's pretty clear.

Old
10-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Golden
Börk Börk Börk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohello View Post
Why do people post stuff like this and not include a link?

"One of the bloggers"...Really? Well there can't be that many bloggers on this cyberweb thing. Do you think I can find this blogger if I use The Google?
Here's the video: http://video.senators.nhl.com/videoc...id=0&id=127645 (at 0:23)

Old
10-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Push540

Quote:
So you want me to "stop telling people to be negative"... while you are telling me to "stop being negative" towards those people?
Quote:

More simply put, "don't advise people when you're incapable of taking that same advice".
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
It's too bad that you can't see the discrepancy in your sentence that makes what you 'simply put' not at all what you put. It's ok though, I can tell from your posts that you don't need me to make an ass out of you.

Those two quotes of mine are simple English, if you can't understand them, don't be angry with me, be angry with your former teachers. Not everyone has a good education or an acceptable reading level. It's nothing to be ashamed about.

Push540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
I am glad the guys on Team 1200 are tearing into those dummies who booed during the intro. that was completely useless and all it can really accomplish is to make both players regress even more. Sad how some people don't get it.
I didnt really hear them tearing into the fans...They said they dont agree and that its not right etc but fans can boo all they want during play if a home player messes up etc...

If you are ok with fans booing a player during play, why not be ok with fans booing players for poor play/lack of effort in the previos game???

IMO Kuba didnt deserve it

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Droc
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
When we are looking at a long season with many downers, booing our own boys won't do any good.

Gonchar had 3 games this season backed by year after year of excellent performances.
there is no point booing a guy who has proven in the past that he has the potential.

I hate kuba, but his improved play these past few games leaves me reconsidering tossing anyone under the bus with the state o our rebuid.

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:37 PM
2Cowen

I am not sure why so many posters on here are calling what the fans did as "unacceptable" when I bet many of you were calling for theirs head last season.

I don't feel sorry for Gonchar one bit. He knew exactly what he was getting into when he signed with a Canadian team. He took the contract that payed him the most and unfortunately its in a market where players are analyzed under a microscope. If it affects him then shouldn't he take initiative to up his play? Or play to what his salary demands? Just show some leadership. I remember a lot of you were saying this was a good signing and that his leadership would benefit the kids in the long run. If leadership means being lazy and nonchalant then I don't want it on my team.

He had been this way for most of last season, maybe a little "booing" would give him motivation to actually try.

2Cowen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
I am not sure why so many posters on here are calling what the fans did as "unacceptable" when I bet many of you were calling for theirs head last season.
Yeah, we criticized Gonchar, but we didn't feel the need to go down to SBP and boo the guy.

Quote:
I don't feel sorry for Gonchar one bit. He knew exactly what he was getting into when he signed with a Canadian team.
So we should just writing the booing of a player during their home opener and introduction because the fans are Canadian?

Quote:
He took the contract that payed him the most and unfortunately its in a market where players are analyzed under a microscope.
Fine, but booing a home player in the middle of the game isn't "analysis". It's just being a dick.

Quote:
If it affects him then shouldn't he take initiative to up his play? Or play to what his salary demands?
Because it's so easy to just flip a switch and play better. I'm fairly certain Gonchar is aware that he needs to improve, but at age 37, after various significant injuries, perhaps getting back up to speed really isn't as easy as it seems.

Quote:
Just show some leadership. I remember a lot of you were saying this was a good signing and that his leadership would benefit the kids in the long run. If leadership means being lazy and nonchalant then I don't want it on my team.
So we're determining that he is providing no guidance to the younger players based on what we've seen on TV. Perhaps actually talking to the players would be a better way of determining of Gonchar is a good leader.

Quote:
He had been this way for most of last season, maybe a little "booing" would give him motivation to actually try.
Or it will just make him stop caring about trying to please the fans. Booing isn't "motivation" for anybody. That's why you're supposed to do it to players on the opposing team, like Heatley.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:04 PM
hockeyfan747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
When we are looking at a long season with many downers, booing our own boys won't do any good.

Gonchar had 3 games this season backed by year after year of excellent performances.
there is no point booing a guy who has proven in the past that he has the potential.

I hate kuba, but his improved play these past few games leaves me reconsidering tossing anyone under the bus with the state o our rebuid.
If last year was an excellent season from Gonchar I don't want to see a bad season from him I believe the booing of Gonchar is completely warranted, I liked it. He has played like he hasn't cared at all since coming over to Ottawa. He deserves every boo he gets here. Right now he is just a waste of a roster spot. I don't want our young players learning anything from Gonchar at the moment.

hockeyfan747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Robin Lehner*

Lovedbooing heatley
Heatley Sucks!!
Dany D*******!!

Robin Lehner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:09 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Sens Win! Yay!

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:22 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan747 View Post
If last year was an excellent season from Gonchar I don't want to see a bad season from him I believe the booing of Gonchar is completely warranted, I liked it. He has played like he hasn't cared at all since coming over to Ottawa. He deserves every boo he gets here. Right now he is just a waste of a roster spot. I don't want our young players learning anything from Gonchar at the moment.
So you think booing Gonchar DURING the introduction was productive? You think it's going to solve the problem, that somehow it will make him play better? Do you seriously think a superstar like Gonchar has stopped caring and is playing poorly on purpose? Whether it is warranted or not isn't important since the results can only be negative and I don't see how a Senators fan would want that.

Ridiculous.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
Yeah, we criticized Gonchar, but we didn't feel the need to go down to SBP and boo the guy.

So we should just writing the booing of a player during their home opener and introduction because the fans are Canadian?

Fine, but booing a home player in the middle of the game isn't "analysis". It's just being a dick.

Because it's so easy to just flip a switch and play better. I'm fairly certain Gonchar is aware that he needs to improve, but at age 37, after various significant injuries, perhaps getting back up to speed really isn't as easy as it seems.

So we're determining that he is providing no guidance to the younger players based on what we've seen on TV. Perhaps actually talking to the players would be a better way of determining of Gonchar is a good leader.

Or it will just make him stop caring about trying to please the fans. Booing isn't "motivation" for anybody. That's why you're supposed to do it to players on th e opposing team, like Heatley.
- Booing isnt the end of the world, I cant believe the over reaction...

- By signing with a Canadian team, and playing under the microscope, you arent going to get a free pass for being a pylon, reacting the way he has afterwords...You get the good with the bad

- The fans couldnt boo him when he sucked(it was on the road) so they let him have it when they could....

- So its the fans problem that a guy at 37 is slow to get up to speed?

- His lack of hustle, rolling of eyes, and inability to show emotion gives fans the impression that he is not a leader...Fans are never behind the scenes, so thats why people like the heart and soul leaders (Neil, Alfie, etc). Should we just assume he is a great leader because he is 37?

- Stop caring? When he acts like he cares, it WILL be the start... His ho-hum attitude that he showed in the MTL playoffs had dragged into last season and now this one... Maybe it will give him the motivation to be cheered by fans(like alfie, neil, foligno) by his hard work and on ice leadership...If he grabs his ball and goes home after being boo'd for poor play and lack of effort, he really isnt the leader that some claim him to be.... Is he?

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Flamingo

Booooooooooooo thread.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
- Booing isnt the end of the world, I cant believe the over reaction...
It's the greatest insult the fans can really give a player, short of tossing jerseys onto the ice.

Quote:
- By signing with a Canadian team, and playing under the microscope, you arent going to get a free pass for being a pylon, reacting the way he has afterwords...You get the good with the bad
I'm not saying Gonchar should get a free pass, but if you want to judge him. Do it in a different way. Write in to the papers, call in to the post game and explain the problems you have with Gonchar's play. Don't just join in with the mob and boo a guy during his introduction. That accomplishes nothing.

Quote:
- The fans couldnt boo him when he sucked(it was on the road) so they let him have it when they could....
They shouldn't be booing him at all. That's the whole point of this.

Quote:
- So its the fans problem that a guy at 37 is slow to get up to speed?
Maybe. The guy has had, what? 3 surgeries in the past 3-4 years or so? Perhaps he's nursing an injury. Perhaps the wear of nearly 20 years of NHL hockey are finally taking their toll. What I don't believe, is this crap idea that he just needs to flip some switch and do better. I'm fairly certain Gonchar knows he needs to be better, but booing him isn't going to help him get his groove back.

Quote:
- His lack of hustle, rolling of eyes, and inability to show emotion gives fans the impression that he is not a leader...Fans are never behind the scenes, so thats why people like the heart and soul leaders (Neil, Alfie, etc). Should we just assume he is a great leader because he is 37?
No, but we shouldn't be assuming he's a terrible leader for the kids just because he's struggling on the ice. It's the same logic that led people to believe that Alfie needed to be traded when the team struggled out of the gate in 07. It's random speculation and it has no place when levying judgement on Gonchar. Do you really think the guy who had great seasons prior to coming to Ottawa just inexplicably stopped caring about the game?

Quote:
- Stop caring? When he acts like he cares, it WILL be the start... His ho-hum attitude that he showed in the MTL playoffs had dragged into last season and now this one... Maybe it will give him the motivation to be cheered by fans(like alfie, neil, foligno) by his hard work and on ice leadership...If he grabs his ball and goes home after being boo'd for poor play and lack of effort, he really isnt the leader that some claim him to be.... Is he?
Like I said before, do you really think this player who had great seasons before he got here just stopped caring for no reason? I'm sure Gonchar isn't going into every game deciding he just isn't going to work hard today. Anyone arguing that the booing might somehow "motivate" him into playing harder are deluding themselves and just grasping at straws. When has that ever happened? All it does is make the player in question not want to play at home.

"If players feel better in their own arena, they're going to play better. If fans don't make them feel good, it's going to be hard."

Bottom line: If you're going to SBP, go there to support the team. Don't go there to support some and lay judgement upon others. Gonchar is showing up every game to play for Senators fans, there's some players (who shall remain nameless) who, by the end of it, couldn't even do that for us. If I'm at SBP I'm gonna cheer Gonchar and show that I'm supporting him as he tries to improve. I'm not gonna vilify him for substandard play.

As a sidenote, it's interesting to me that some of the people who are okay with booing Gonchar are the same people who lambaste the Sun for being overly judgmental on some players.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:10 PM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Prediction: CJam and Push540 are going to have some epic arguments on here. They may even be the same person with opposite agendas.
I thought they were the same person period, until I did a little research:

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Icelevel
Best Players Play

If you booed the players on our team on opening night during the introductions, you are not a true fan of the team. If you don't understand that, then not only are you not a fan but you're likely not a smart person either (or just immature/ignorant).

As someone said earlier today, it's like paying for your ticket to watch the game, sitting down in your seat and then yelling at our goaltender during a shootout. Do you want the team to succeed or fail?

It is not giving OUR team the best chance to win and that's not fair to the rest of us real fans.

Last edited by Icelevel: 10-12-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Booing any player on the team is disgraceful and unacceptable.

I'm not going to be angry if you choose to boo a player during the game after a giveaway or something, but the player introductions is not the time to be booing one of your own players.

If you are going to boo Gonchar or Kuba, you certainly are not a true Sens fan.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:55 PM
xking23
Petersson

Well this is such a happy little thread. Really full of feel good moments about us getting our first win, during the home opener. Remember last year when we couldn't score more than 2 goals in a game, and now we are averaging 4. Remember when it took us like 5 games to get a point last season. Or how our entire team was going throw the motions and not playing with emotion... Those were the good times. Now we win, are second in the league for goals for (and people were saying we are going to have trouble scoring goals) and all we do is whine and moan. Come on people we get to play Colorado tomorrow and Anderson will be lights out that game. We are showing we aren't to be taken lightly and the games are fun to watch (albeit mainly only in the third... but still). We know this will be tough, but the season just started, and we aren't doing that bad considering.

xking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Apaharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xking23 View Post
Well this is such a happy little thread. Really full of feel good moments about us getting our first win, during the home opener. Remember last year when we couldn't score more than 2 goals in a game, and now we are averaging 4. Remember when it took us like 5 games to get a point last season. Or how our entire team was going throw the motions and not playing with emotion... Those were the good times. Now we win, are second in the league for goals for (and people were saying we are going to have trouble scoring goals) and all we do is whine and moan. Come on people we get to play Colorado tomorrow and Anderson will be lights out that game. We are showing we aren't to be taken lightly and the games are fun to watch (albeit mainly only in the third... but still). We know this will be tough, but the season just started, and we aren't doing that bad considering.
Remember when Nick Foligno didn't score his first goal until mid-November? Yeah good times.

Apaharn is online now   Reply With Quote