HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies' Baseball (MLB): 2012 Spring Training

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyrock View Post
The Phillies are now a team for women. The fanbase is now 90% yappy sorority broads in ironic straw cowboy hats.
Agree.

Quote:
I wish the Phillies never won a world series.
Disagree.

Old
03-12-2012, 06:21 PM
dawkins121

The Phillies would not be the power that they are right now if all the bandwagon fans you guys are complaining about didn't sell out the park every game and buy tons of merchandise...

Old
03-12-2012, 06:46 PM
healthyscratch

Brad Lidge on the Nationals...

"This is probably the most talented team I've ever been on, and I've been on great teams"

Last edited by healthyscratch: 03-12-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old
03-12-2012, 06:54 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
The Phillies would not be the power that they are right now if all the bandwagon fans you guys are complaining about didn't sell out the park every game and buy tons of merchandise...
I think the point we are (or at least I am) trying to make is that it was more fun being a Phillies fan before they were good. Winning in 2008 was epic, don't get me wrong. Being a Phillies fan since then has been somewhat boring IMO. I'll take the days of Larry Bowa and Terry Francona struggling to get to .500 over complaining about not winning back to back world serieses.

Old
03-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think the point we are (or at least I am) trying to make is that it was more fun being a Phillies fan before they were good. Winning in 2008 was epic, don't get me wrong. Being a Phillies fan since then has been somewhat boring IMO. I'll take the days of Larry Bowa and Terry Francona struggling to get to .500 over complaining about not winning back to back world serieses.
Yes, the Phillies would be much more exciting if they sucked.

03-12-2012, 07:10 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yes, the Phillies would be much more exciting if they sucked.
I know it's weird, but I personally enjoyed being a Phillies fan from my childhood up to 2008. Since 2008 it has been boring.

Old
03-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Prongo
Beer

What is wrong with you people. Enjoy it, every team in the world has bandwagon jumpers. Anyone who wants to see the old Phillies has some serious problems lol.

Just like the Flyers, my bar never gets crowded during the regular season for them, but once the playoffs come around BOOOM! all Flyers fans now. I like it, you get the opportunity to help people understand the game better and also they might turn into full time fans.

Old
03-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
I know it's weird, but I personally enjoyed being a Phillies fan from my childhood up to 2008. Since 2008 it has been boring.
You are insane. I'm not joking. That's f'ing ridiculous. Well, wait, how old are you? Because from my childhood on up features the fabulous 1984-1992 teams, which had one 2nd place finish and one 3rd place finish to break up the 5th and 6th place finishes, or the 1994-2000 teams which had one 2nd place finish to break up a series of 4th and 5th place finishes. Yes, it was so much more fun following crappy teams that were eliminated by mid-summer at the latest. Ahh, the days of Jim Fregosi (non-1993 edition) and Nick Leyva. Yes, definitely fantastic times. It was SOOOO much more fun. I loved getting excited about Tyler Green and his knuckle-curve that got 1 All Star appearance and fell apart, or Wayne Gomes, Pat Combs, Jeff Jackson, and all the other monster super stars they drafted and trotted out before us while I grew up, reading the Phillies Report and hoping one of these clowns would be the guy to help turn the team from suck into something.

So now you have to share it with people who didn't go through the hard times. Waah. Cry me a river. The Phils winning in 2008 was something I swore I would never see. I was convinced I would die before the Phils won another Series, and thankfully my grandfather got to see it before he passed on. Brad Lidge's reaction was almost exactly mine at home, although I couldn't yell because my baby daughter was sleeping. It was a fantastic moment, and only some lame-ass hipster would think that it was cooler "before everybody followed them".

So enough of this "It was better when the losing-est franchise in the history of sports was acting that way" ********. Winning is not boring. And if you don't believe me, go here and see how many winning season this team has had since I was born (Oct, 1977): http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PHI/. Here's a hint: It wasn't that many until recently.

Old
03-12-2012, 07:31 PM
healthyscratch

Ahh the good ol' days, how I miss the opening day starts of Omar Daal and Robert Person.

Old
03-12-2012, 11:31 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
You are insane. I'm not joking. That's f'ing ridiculous. Well, wait, how old are you? Because from my childhood on up features the fabulous 1984-1992 teams, which had one 2nd place finish and one 3rd place finish to break up the 5th and 6th place finishes, or the 1994-2000 teams which had one 2nd place finish to break up a series of 4th and 5th place finishes. Yes, it was so much more fun following crappy teams that were eliminated by mid-summer at the latest. Ahh, the days of Jim Fregosi (non-1993 edition) and Nick Leyva. Yes, definitely fantastic times. It was SOOOO much more fun. I loved getting excited about Tyler Green and his knuckle-curve that got 1 All Star appearance and fell apart, or Wayne Gomes, Pat Combs, Jeff Jackson, and all the other monster super stars they drafted and trotted out before us while I grew up, reading the Phillies Report and hoping one of these clowns would be the guy to help turn the team from suck into something.
Lol, My opinion is wrong? Come on. I've been watching the Phillies since I was a pup, starting from as far back as I can remember (probably the 1992ish season). Growing up talking to my friends about the possibility of maybe having two all stars on the team, or maybe possibly unseating the Braves was great. Yes, they sucked those years (with the exception of 1993), but it was fun. Going to the vet and it being empty and talking to the players in the bullpen between innings. Getting autographs from anyone/everyone in a Phillies uniform. Sitting wherever you want. Talking to other fans that actually cared about the team. It was fun. More fun than now. Of course I want them to win and I'll never root against them, but I had more fun as a fan back in those days. I'm sorry if you didn't, but I did.

Quote:
So now you have to share it with people who didn't go through the hard times. Waah. Cry me a river. The Phils winning in 2008 was something I swore I would never see. I was convinced I would die before the Phils won another Series, and thankfully my grandfather got to see it before he passed on. Brad Lidge's reaction was almost exactly mine at home, although I couldn't yell because my baby daughter was sleeping. It was a fantastic moment, and only some lame-ass hipster would think that it was cooler "before everybody followed them".
I also thought I would never see it and it was one of the most exciting moments of my life. I will probably never forget it and I don't wish they didn't win it, but again, since 2008, being a Phillies fan has not been as fun. And yes, it does bug me when people complain about things like last season or losing in the WS the year before and act like they are so devastated because the team ONLY made it to the WS or lost in the first round. These people weren't around for the ugly before and won't be around (for the most part) when the ugly returns. If more people watch the Phillies than before, great. But going to a Phillies game and being a Phillies fan is no longer about baseball, it is about going to the games to say you went and wearing a Phillies hat to pick up chicks in the bar. Just go to a game and look at all the people there not watching the game and leaving in the 7th inning or try to talk to these people about the team the Phillies are playing. Most of them won't know a single player on the other team or half the players on the Phillies. That is what bugs me.

Quote:
So enough of this "It was better when the losing-est franchise in the history of sports was acting that way" ********. Winning is not boring. And if you don't believe me, go here and see how many winning season this team has had since I was born (Oct, 1977): http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PHI/. Here's a hint: It wasn't that many until recently.
Once again, opinion. I had more fun as a Phillies fan when they weren't good. 2008 was great. 2009-2011 has not been as fun as 2005-2007 for me.

Old
03-13-2012, 12:07 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

"Hey. Guys. Hey. Which one is Hunter Pants?

Guys. Hey. Guys. Remember when we were at the bar that one time and Life is a Highway started playing and Brenda was so drunk she STOOD ON TOP OF THE TABLE. AHAHAHAHAHA. Oh god, Brenda is a scream.

What inning is it? Is this game almost over?
"

Old
03-13-2012, 12:11 AM
cheesesteak

I think you just miss HK.

Old
03-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
What is wrong with you people. Enjoy it, every team in the world has bandwagon jumpers.
Our bandwagon jumpers are:
  • Loudmouth, New Jersey, Rascal Flats-listenin' brats in Utley tank tops.
  • Company ticket guys.

They squat on 90% of the stadium seating and make no noise during playoff games. Even the players noticed.

The Phillies aren't "Philly" anymore.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Lol, My opinion is wrong? Come on. I've been watching the Phillies since I was a pup, starting from as far back as I can remember (probably the 1992ish season). Growing up talking to my friends about the possibility of maybe having two all stars on the team, or maybe possibly unseating the Braves was great. Yes, they sucked those years (with the exception of 1993), but it was fun. Going to the vet and it being empty and talking to the players in the bullpen between innings. Getting autographs from anyone/everyone in a Phillies uniform. Sitting wherever you want. Talking to other fans that actually cared about the team. It was fun. More fun than now. Of course I want them to win and I'll never root against them, but I had more fun as a fan back in those days. I'm sorry if you didn't, but I did.
1992? That explains a great deal. They sucked for like 7 years of your life then. That's not that bad. For me it's been more like 17 years, and that gets a lot worse. I also rarely go to ballgames, since I haven't lived in the Philly area since 1984. I will say going to the Bank for Game 4 of the 2008 World Series was fantastic, although the last Phils game I had been to in person was mid-90s at the Vet. Dave Hollins made two errors on the same play to allow the only run to score, since Schilling was dealing that night...and I got to hear two 12-13 year old kids behind me threaten his life. Good times.

But yes, you're opinion is objectively wrong. I get the whole "I don't like pink hats" thing. Boston has this problem considerably worse then Philly, I assure you. But they're what makes the team's continued success possible. Without an influx of fans, the Phils would still be cellar dwellers, never paying for free agents, without the ability to bring in anyone who could help them sniff the playoffs. I'm not sure why you would want that. It's part of the deal: your team gets good, others want to get on board.

You want a more fan friendly experience? Go to a minor league ball game. That'll get you more of what you want, and the ticket prices will be considerably more reasonable. There are teams around, although I don't know how close they'll be to you. I keep hearing the Lowell Spinners up here are a fantastic experience for a baseball fan or family, and when my girls are a bit older we're definitely going to some minor league games.

Quote:
I also thought I would never see it and it was one of the most exciting moments of my life. I will probably never forget it and I don't wish they didn't win it, but again, since 2008, being a Phillies fan has not been as fun. And yes, it does bug me when people complain about things like last season or losing in the WS the year before and act like they are so devastated because the team ONLY made it to the WS or lost in the first round. These people weren't around for the ugly before and won't be around (for the most part) when the ugly returns. If more people watch the Phillies than before, great. But going to a Phillies game and being a Phillies fan is no longer about baseball, it is about going to the games to say you went and wearing a Phillies hat to pick up chicks in the bar. Just go to a game and look at all the people there not watching the game and leaving in the 7th inning or try to talk to these people about the team the Phillies are playing. Most of them won't know a single player on the other team or half the players on the Phillies. That is what bugs me.
Seriously, get over it. So there are ********** at the game now. It happens, and really, I'm kind of laughing at you complaining about people thinking losing in the WS is so bad, when you admit you've missed out on a lot of the suck. I also think you're missing part of the point here: these people make it possible to even THINK that the suck might not return. Really, if they're selling that stadium out all the time, it means they've got cash. And they can work to avoid the collapses of the past. They've got an aggressive GM, and while yes they've lost a lot of talent if they've got money they can address those things at least short term. As I said before, this is the deal: you get good, you get bandwagoners, they let you keep things going thanks to the fact that some d-bag wants to buy their merch and go to the game to pick up chicks.

Perhaps it really boils down to the fact that for me, I never really went to games, so the change at the stadium effects me very little. What do I care, since I never went to games anyway? But I DO get to watch them on TV now, which I rarely have gotten to since moving to Boston in 1995 (CT at least had the Mets broadcast). That is a positive change for me those pink hats have brought in. And they're winning, and they've had a shot at the title in a number of years. All of that means a great deal to me, and if it means I have to put up with a bunch of clowns going to the games, oh well. That's life.

Quote:
Once again, opinion. I had more fun as a Phillies fan when they weren't good. 2008 was great. 2009-2011 has not been as fun as 2005-2007 for me.
Oh, wait, you're comparing 2009-2011 to 2005-2007? Well no wonder then. You're ignoring the previous 20 years of crap with like 3 good seasons. Yeah, if you ignore the vast majority of the history of this team then the last 3 seasons have sucked. For those of us with some history, it's ridiculous to read these complaints.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:39 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Been a fan my whole life(I'm 25). It may not be more "fun" for you now, but there hasn't ever been a better time to be a phillies fan. There will always be bandwagoners. Hell, I hated when all my Eagles fan friends were suddenly HUGE flyers fans all over facebook during the 2010 cup run, but I'd rather deal with that than constantly going into a season knowing our playoff chances end at the first pitch or puck drop.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:09 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
1992? That explains a great deal. They sucked for like 7 years of your life then. That's not that bad. For me it's been more like 17 years, and that gets a lot worse. I also rarely go to ballgames, since I haven't lived in the Philly area since 1984. I will say going to the Bank for Game 4 of the 2008 World Series was fantastic, although the last Phils game I had been to in person was mid-90s at the Vet. Dave Hollins made two errors on the same play to allow the only run to score, since Schilling was dealing that night...and I got to hear two 12-13 year old kids behind me threaten his life. Good times.
Seven years of suck? 2/11 winning seasons, followed by four years of mediocrity doesn't add up to seven years of suck in my book. They've been good since 2007, so I'm 26 now, didn't really start watching to the point of actually caring/understanding until I was 6-7, so 5/15 years as a Phillies fan have been good teams.

Quote:
But yes, you're opinion is objectively wrong.
Interesting, something wholly subjective like an opinion can be objectively wrong? You may not agree with it, but that doesn't mean it is wrong. If I had more fun growing up watching the Phillies than I do now, how is that wrong? Are you going to tell me my favorite food choice is also wrong? Or maybe my favorite band is wrong too. Please help me so I am don't make any more wrong choices!!!

Quote:
I get the whole "I don't like pink hats" thing. Boston has this problem considerably worse then Philly, I assure you. But they're what makes the team's continued success possible. Without an influx of fans, the Phils would still be cellar dwellers, never paying for free agents, without the ability to bring in anyone who could help them sniff the playoffs. I'm not sure why you would want that. It's part of the deal: your team gets good, others want to get on board.
I don't care if other teams have more bandwagoners or worse fans. That has no effect on me. If Boston's fans are more annoying than the new Phillies fans, that sucks for them. But for me the new generation of Phillies fans is annoying. And I understand that these fans are largely responsible for the influx of cash leading to the big signings, etc. But as I said, it was still more fun when they weren't around. Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, Cole Hamels, etc are all great players and I am glad they have been signed and re-signed. But it is predictable now. We pretty much know the Phillies will make the playoffs. 162 games of complaining about only winning 6 in a row or not having enough shutouts or some other BS. It was more fun to dream about the big seasons that Burrell and Abreu are going to put together. Maybe Rico Brogna will be an all-star this year! This is the year we make it! That was more fun than ANYTHING LESS THAN FOUR STRAIGHT TITLES IS UNBEARABLE!

Quote:
You want a more fan friendly experience? Go to a minor league ball game. That'll get you more of what you want, and the ticket prices will be considerably more reasonable. There are teams around, although I don't know how close they'll be to you. I keep hearing the Lowell Spinners up here are a fantastic experience for a baseball fan or family, and when my girls are a bit older we're definitely going to some minor league games.
I'm not really following you on this. Phillies games are fan friendly, it's just the fans themselves that take away from it for me.

Quote:
Seriously, get over it. So there are ********** at the game now. It happens, and really, I'm kind of laughing at you complaining about people thinking losing in the WS is so bad, when you admit you've missed out on a lot of the suck. I also think you're missing part of the point here: these people make it possible to even THINK that the suck might not return. Really, if they're selling that stadium out all the time, it means they've got cash. And they can work to avoid the collapses of the past. They've got an aggressive GM, and while yes they've lost a lot of talent if they've got money they can address those things at least short term. As I said before, this is the deal: you get good, you get bandwagoners, they let you keep things going thanks to the fact that some d-bag wants to buy their merch and go to the game to pick up chicks.
I think you are missing the point. I'm not necessarily saying the winning is bad. I'm saying it was more fun before. I miss the old days. In ten years if they start to suck maybe I'll miss these days, but right now, it is not as fun to be a Phillies fan. I still watch them as much as possible and go to games whenever I can (which is not as much anymore) and I still root for them. It was just more fun when they sucked.

Quote:
Perhaps it really boils down to the fact that for me, I never really went to games, so the change at the stadium effects me very little. What do I care, since I never went to games anyway? But I DO get to watch them on TV now, which I rarely have gotten to since moving to Boston in 1995 (CT at least had the Mets broadcast). That is a positive change for me those pink hats have brought in. And they're winning, and they've had a shot at the title in a number of years. All of that means a great deal to me, and if it means I have to put up with a bunch of clowns going to the games, oh well. That's life.
YOUR OPINION IS WRONG.

Quote:
Oh, wait, you're comparing 2009-2011 to 2005-2007? Well no wonder then. You're ignoring the previous 20 years of crap with like 3 good seasons. Yeah, if you ignore the vast majority of the history of this team then the last 3 seasons have sucked. For those of us with some history, it's ridiculous to read these complaints.
I'm comparing the three seasons before to the three seasons after. Change the 2009 to 1992 and you get the same answer. Tough to follow, I know.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:19 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
Been a fan my whole life(I'm 25). It may not be more "fun" for you now, but there hasn't ever been a better time to be a phillies fan. There will always be bandwagoners. Hell, I hated when all my Eagles fan friends were suddenly HUGE flyers fans all over facebook during the 2010 cup run, but I'd rather deal with that than constantly going into a season knowing our playoff chances end at the first pitch or puck drop.
For me it is different with baseball. I don't care if the Flyers or the Eagles or Rutgers or any other team I like gets the bandwagoners. Baseball is a different beast for me. Growing up I lived like 20 minutes from the stadiums and went to countless games with my uncles and dad and brothers and friends. I've watched all the other sports just as long but the Phillies were the only team as a kid that I regularly went to games. And the Phillies grew up sucking. The Flyers have also been good for longer than the Phillies sucked so it just isn't the same for me.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:56 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
For me it is different with baseball. I don't care if the Flyers or the Eagles or Rutgers or any other team I like gets the bandwagoners. Baseball is a different beast for me. Growing up I lived like 20 minutes from the stadiums and went to countless games with my uncles and dad and brothers and friends. I've watched all the other sports just as long but the Phillies were the only team as a kid that I regularly went to games. And the Phillies grew up sucking. The Flyers have also been good for longer than the Phillies sucked so it just isn't the same for me.
I went to a lot of Phillies games as a kid because it was cheaper for my parents to get tickets. To each is own as far as what you enjoy more.

Old
03-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Amateur Hour

This thread has devolved into one of the most inane arguments I've ever witnessed.

Old
03-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Justified
Amaro out

omg, there are bandwagon fans? this happens everywhere when a team is "Winning".

Old
03-13-2012, 04:46 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:

Quote:
Seven years of suck? 2/11 winning seasons, followed by four years of mediocrity doesn't add up to seven years of suck in my book. They've been good since 2007, so I'm 26 now, didn't really start watching to the point of actually caring/understanding until I was 6-7, so 5/15 years as a Phillies fan have been good teams.

Interesting, something wholly subjective like an opinion can be objectively wrong? You may not agree with it, but that doesn't mean it is wrong. If I had more fun growing up watching the Phillies than I do now, how is that wrong? Are you going to tell me my favorite food choice is also wrong? Or maybe my favorite band is wrong too. Please help me so I am don't make any more wrong choices!!!

I don't care if other teams have more bandwagoners or worse fans. That has no effect on me. If Boston's fans are more annoying than the new Phillies fans, that sucks for them. But for me the new generation of Phillies fans is annoying. And I understand that these fans are largely responsible for the influx of cash leading to the big signings, etc. But as I said, it was still more fun when they weren't around. Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, Cole Hamels, etc are all great players and I am glad they have been signed and re-signed. But it is predictable now. We pretty much know the Phillies will make the playoffs. 162 games of complaining about only winning 6 in a row or not having enough shutouts or some other BS. It was more fun to dream about the big seasons that Burrell and Abreu are going to put together. Maybe Rico Brogna will be an all-star this year! This is the year we make it! That was more fun than ANYTHING LESS THAN FOUR STRAIGHT TITLES IS UNBEARABLE!

I'm not really following you on this. Phillies games are fan friendly, it's just the fans themselves that take away from it for me.

I think you are missing the point. I'm not necessarily saying the winning is bad. I'm saying it was more fun before. I miss the old days. In ten years if they start to suck maybe I'll miss these days, but right now, it is not as fun to be a Phillies fan. I still watch them as much as possible and go to games whenever I can (which is not as much anymore) and I still root for them. It was just more fun when they sucked.

YOUR OPINION IS WRONG.

I'm comparing the three seasons before to the three seasons after. Change the 2009 to 1992 and you get the same answer. Tough to follow, I know.
Quote:

Old
03-13-2012, 04:50 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Brad Lidge on the Nationals...

"This is probably the most talented team I've ever been on, and I've been on great teams"

He's probably not far off, but he's obviously not going to say "oh the 05 Astros and the last two Phillies teams were better, but we're close!"

Quote:
I kind of agree with you, and think a lot of the bashing you're receiving is unwarranted. I've been a fan since 92ish as well, born in 87. So I apologize to those who suffered through worse...we know you suffered through worse, but we weren't born yet, and we can't change that.

There's no doubt I want to see this team winning games. But 2007 and 2008 were without a doubt the best seasons I've ever witnessed as a fan. Our first playoff push since 93, Rollins having an MVP season, Utley and Howard playing great, Hamels taking on the role of ace and thriving, guarantees, meaningful games vs. the Mets, etc. It's almost boring expecting to win now, and expecting to be the best team. I remember the unmatched excitement of the playoff games against Colorado in 07, despite getting beat, and the 08 playoffs as well, of course.

Now the park is indeed full of college students. It's become a social event. People need to tailgate before Phillies games now, as if it were an Eagles games, which means they come into the game drunk and annoying and throwing up on small children (). I grew up loving to go to Phillies games, free tickets to the vet, I'd have my birthday parties there, and we'd tie down an entire row for my family. Now you're lucky to find 3 seats together. It's different. It's most likely better by the majority definition, but I don't like it as much.

Old
03-13-2012, 05:01 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I kind of agree with you, and think a lot of the bashing you're receiving is unwarranted. I've been a fan since 92ish as well, born in 87. So I apologize to those who suffered through worse...we know you suffered through worse, but we weren't born yet, and we can't change that.

There's no doubt I want to see this team winning games. But 2007 and 2008 were without a doubt the best seasons I've ever witnessed as a fan. Our first playoff push since 93, Rollins having an MVP season, Utley and Howard playing great, Hamels taking on the role of ace and thriving, guarantees, meaningful games vs. the Mets, etc. It's almost boring expecting to win now, and expecting to be the best team. I remember the unmatched excitement of the playoff games against Colorado in 07, despite getting beat, and the 08 playoffs as well, of course.

Now the park is indeed full of college students. It's become a social event. People need to tailgate before Phillies games now, as if it were an Eagles games, which means they come into the game drunk and annoying and throwing up on small children (). I grew up loving to go to Phillies games, free tickets to the vet, I'd have my birthday parties there, and we'd tie down an entire row for my family. Now you're lucky to find 3 seats together. It's different. It's most likely better by the majority definition, but I don't like it as much.
Exactly. It is a different thing to be a Phillies fan now than it was back in the 90s. I remember having conversations with guys like Turk Wendell and Ricky Bo out in the bullpen and heckling the visitors like a little punk. Now you have to get to the ballpark as the gates open if you want to even see the bullpen. And as I've said from the beginning, to me (meaning this is my opinion), it was more fun to get excited about the prospect of a winning season or the 2007 push than basically putting it on cruise control for 162 games. Even when the season was over by mid-summer it was fun talking about the young guys coming up and the free agents they might sign. I still want them to win and am not really rooting against them, it was just more fun from 1992-2008 than it has been since 2008.

Old
03-13-2012, 06:38 PM
healthyscratch

You young bucks are acting like spoiled little brats. Just my opinion, of course.

Old
03-13-2012, 07:47 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Yeah, this is ridiculous. The games are selling out, the payroll is growing. Go to any games you can afford to get to and enjoy the game. If the atmosphere isn't to your liking and you miss the good old days with the crappy teams, the Orioles are only a short drive away (sorry O's fans).

Closed Thread