HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zach Parise at the deadline...do we make a play?

Old
10-12-2011, 01:08 PM
boots electric

vCash: 500
Zach Parise at the deadline...do we make a play?

There's been a lot of speculation that Parise will be available at the deadline if Jersey hasn't resigned him.

In terms of assets we can offer, we appear to be pretty good trading partners with Jersey. In terms of our need for another LW making big money...that's a different story altogether.

50 goal scorers don't grow on trees, and Parise would make an incredible addition to any team. But do you think the Sabres will/should make a pitch considering the team's depth on the wing and dearth up the middle?

Money would be tight for this season, but the beauty of this whole situation is that there would still be time for Pegula/Darcy to work some contract magic before this CBA expires and (hopefully) get him signed for a ridiculously low cap hit.

What would it take to get him? I would think Jersey is looking for an eventual Brodeur replacement, so I foresee Enroth going the other way. I would also guess they'd be looking for another LW coming in. Ennis is the obvious answer, but that might be a bit too much for some people's blood. What else could be thrown in the mix?

So, what do you think? Would it be worth it for a top six of

Vanek - Adam - Pominville
Parise - Leino - Stafford

HOCKEYBONER

Thoughts?

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

No thanks.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:34 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Way too early to think about the deadline but I don't see the Devils trading him at the deadline after they just named him captain. They will do everything in their power to resign him.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:35 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

He won't be traded. But something built around Ennis and Enroth, probably with Boyes thrown in for cap considerations.

And honestly, we would have to add to that.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:48 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

First of all, only if we can get him resigned, so it would depend on how those contract talks are going, and what's good or not good enough. Next year we're projected to have $8M in cap space, with Boyes, Hecht, Gaustad, Kaleta, Ennis and Gragnani coming off the payroll and Myers' extension kicking in. We're going to want to bring back a couple of those guys, I'd imagine, although the cap might rise. If the cap goes up $4M, say, we could probably resign Ennis to something like $3M, Gragnani to something like $1.5 (depending on his production this year), Kaleta to $1M, let everybody else walk, and have room for a $6M contract, but then we'd still be short a forward, and have only $500K in cap space.

Secondly, it would take some good work to make it work under the cap just this year. We'd be taking on $6M in salary. Right now we have about $50K in cap room. Once we send down Ellis, we'll have about $600K. This is per Capgeek.

So we'd have to move almost equivalent dollars back in the deal - actually, if you figure we have $600K in room, and would only have Parise for a third of the season, we'd have to move back about $4.5M.

The question then becomes what player do we want to move with that kind of salary that New jersey would be remotely interested in. I might give them Leino, if we really were sure we could get Parise resigned. He'd instantly become the best forward on the team.

Only other option I could see would be to make a trade that would put us over the cap and then send guys you don't like who make a good $ down to the minors until you're back under the cap. Which, when you think about it, is really awesome to be able to do.

Last edited by haseoke39: 10-12-2011 at 02:00 PM.
haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:49 PM
jfb392

No thanks.

He's an upgrade over just about all of our forwards, but he doesn't play the position we're weakest at (yes, I know he was a center, but he hasn't really been one in the NHL).

If he was available at the deadline, that would likely mean that he'd want to test free agency, as he is represented by Newport Sports, the same agency that made noise this past summer by driving up the price of their players like Richards.
So, we'd be giving up a bunch for a rental player that is likely to test the market.

Additionally, we are projected to have almost no space at the deadline right now.
With Adam and Ellis really being the only candidates for demotion, I'd say that we're likely to less than $500,000 in banked space at the deadline, which is nothing.
Parise costs ~$32,000 per day.
Ennis and Enroth only buy us $8,000 additional dollars a day, so we'd only be able to afford Parise if we shipped out a player with a large salary in that deal or in a previous deal (this is why Brad "I fall down at least three times a game" Boyes is unnecessary and needs to be moved sooner rather than later).

I'm also not a fan of moving our first unless it is a draft day swap to move up or filling our #1C need (unlikely).
We don't want to be like one of the unlucky teams that traded their 2003 pick.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:14 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
No thanks, I like Parise alot but I would rather the team focus there attention on a Jarret Stoll type come the Trade Deadline .. At the expense of Brad Boyes would be great too:

Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Ennis-Leino/Stoll-Stafford
Hecht-Stoll/Leino-Roy
Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta
McCormick

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

If you can get Parise for anything short of Myers you do the deal.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:42 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

With a 7-year age difference between Enroth and Miller, I'm not so sure I trade Enroth, regardless of the other factors. If that doesn't make Jersey interested, so be it.

brian_griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Yeah, he's awesome! But, I mean you have to be able to fit him in long term, financially. And, you don't want to sell the farm for him either.

I'd be stoked to see him on the team!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Luceni

I like our deep roster and our depth at the moment.
So I probably would say no at the moment especially during that season.

On the other hand, we probably lack a star player. I'm not sure what I would do, I'm happy that I don't need to decide those things.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Parise is the kind of player that could push this team over the top.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:19 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

There is a long way to go between now and the deadline.

But, if Boyes and Hecht are not productive come deadline time and the rest of the team looks Cup-ready, I wouldn't be against figuring out a way to add Parise.

But, I would be surprised if Regier was down with paying for a high priced rental that likely won't be able to be re-signed long term unless something crazy happens in the next CBA.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

I would strongly consider it honestly... the cap-onomics of it are trying at best though. Buffalo would definately have to include Ennis, Enroth & likely Kassian or Pysyk... It seems steep, but if Parise is actually at 100% health wise it's probably worth it in the long run. Regier would also have to get him re-signed to a deal similar to Ehrhoff to keep his cap hit down to make it work at all going forward.

I cant honestly see NJ having any interest in Boyes or Hecht, so they would have to be moved in a separate deal of some sort.

* Demote Ellis to Rochester (-$525K)
* Shed Boyes for a pick (-$4M)

To NJ:
LW Ennis ($875K)
G Enroth ($675K)
RW Kassian or D Pysyk ($870K/900K)

To BUF:

LW Zach Parise ($6M)

After all that we would still be right against the ceiling - but what a good looking top 6!!!

Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Parise-Roy-Stafford

Hecht-Leino-McCormick
Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

Regehr-Myers
Ehrhoff-Leopold
Sekera-Gragnani
Weber

Miller
Leggio/McIntyre

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I would strongly consider it honestly... the cap-onomics of it are trying at best though. Buffalo would definately have to include Ennis, Enroth & likely Kassian or Pysyk... It seems steep, but if Parise is actually at 100% health wise it's probably worth it in the long run. Regier would also have to get him re-signed to a deal similar to Ehrhoff to keep his cap hit down to make it work at all going forward.

I cant honestly see NJ having any interest in Boyes or Hecht, so they would have to be moved in a separate deal of some sort.

* Demote Ellis to Rochester (-$525K)
* Shed Boyes for a pick (-$4M)

To NJ:
LW Ennis ($875K)
G Enroth ($675K)
RW Kassian or D Pysyk ($870K/900K)

To BUF:

LW Zach Parise ($6M)

After all that we would still be right against the ceiling - but what a good looking top 6!!!

Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Parise-Roy-Stafford

Hecht-Leino-McCormick
Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

Regehr-Myers
Ehrhoff-Leopold
Sekera-Gragnani
Weber

Miller
Leggio/McIntyre
That's overpayment, Parise is a rental, think about what Kovalchuk got.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:00 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
That's overpayment, Parise is a rental, think about what Kovalchuk got.
overpayment?? try underpayment.. It would take that package plus draft picks .. On top of that Kovalchuck wasn't a rental .. Heres what I would propose:

To Buffalo:

Zack Parise
Johan Hedberg

To New Jersey:

Tyler Ennis
Brad Boyes
Andrej Sekera
Jhonas Enroth
1st Round Draft Pick 2012
2nd Round Draft Pick 2012
2nd Round Draft Pick 2012 (Calgary)

Parise-Roy-Stafford
Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Hecht-Leino-McCormick
Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta
Ellis

Regehr-Myers
Leopold-Erhoff
Gragnani-Weber
Brennan?

Miller
Hedberg

IMO that is what it would take and it is very intruiging..Not so sure I would pull the trigger though ..

Old
10-12-2011, 10:13 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
overpayment?? try underpayment.. It would take that package plus draft picks .. On top of that Kovalchuck wasn't a rental .. Heres what I would propose:

To Buffalo:

Zack Parise
Johan Hedberg

To New Jersey:

Tyler Ennis
Brad Boyes
Andrej Sekera
Jhonas Enroth
1st Round Draft Pick 2012
2nd Round Draft Pick 2012
2nd Round Draft Pick 2012 (Calgary)

Parise-Roy-Stafford
Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Hecht-Leino-McCormick
Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta
Ellis

Regehr-Myers
Leopold-Erhoff
Gragnani-Weber
Brennan?

Miller
Hedberg

IMO that is what it would take and it is very intruiging..Not so sure I would pull the trigger though ..
In the Kovalchuk trade, Atlanta received defenceman Johnny Oduya, rookie forward Niclas Bergfors and junior prospect Patrice Cormier, and a first round selection in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Kovalchuk and defenceman Anssi Salmela. Bergfors is nowhere close to the player Ennis or Boyes is, Oduya is about on par with Sekera, you're giving them Enroth and a couple extra draft picks for nothing, Kovalchuk WAS a rental, and Parise will also be. You're overpaying by a lot.

Last edited by haseoke39: 10-12-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old
10-12-2011, 10:17 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

At the end of the day, what's nice is that if Darcy can improve the team while keeping his dream roster under the cap, he doesn't have to worry about unloading or fighting to trade roster players. If he wants Parise and can't make room by trade, he can just start waiving guys and Pegula will pay for them to play in Rochester.

It's funny....you see Darcy has really run out of room now to spend on players in the next couple of years and still stay under the cap (provided he has some intention to keep the RFAs and such). But does that mean we can't get substantially better the next couple offseasons, to reach that 3-year cup goal? No! We can still cherry pick our favorite players in trades and off the market, as long as we can pick our favorite 23 players and keep them under the cap, and just waive the rest! I have a feeling this is the strategy you'll see Darcy employing over the next couple seasons.

When you think about it that way, if there's any way you can get Zach Parise without giving up more than you get, you almost certainly do it. You don't have to worry about money until later in the discussion.

Last edited by haseoke39: 10-12-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old
10-12-2011, 10:19 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
In the Kovalchuk trade, Atlanta received defenceman Johnny Oduya, rookie forward Niclas Bergfors and junior prospect Patrice Cormier, and a first round selection in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Kovalchuk and defenceman Anssi Salmela. Kovalchuk WAS a rental, as Parise will be. You're overpaying by a lot.
Kovalchuk plays for New Jersey still, therefor not a rental ..

Old
10-12-2011, 10:21 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

and yes it is overpayment, but players like Parise are only obtained through overpayment. IMO Parise is a level above Kovy simply because he plays alot better in his own zone and Ilya seems like he isn't the type of guy you want in your locker room..

Old
10-12-2011, 10:28 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Oduya - Sekera
Bergfors - Ennis esque, although I would put him a category above Bergfors
Cromier - Luke Adam
1st Round Pick = 1st Round Pick

so for arguements sake lets say:

Ennis, Adam, Sekera and 1st Round Pick for Zack Parise ..

Obviously thats alot less than my proposed package but I still don't think I would do that. I like our team the way it is only move I would like to seen made is for a big tough Center, COUGH STOLL COUGH **

Old
10-12-2011, 10:33 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Kovalchuk plays for New Jersey still, therefor not a rental ..
The fact that Kovalchuk still plays for NJ now meant nothing (in fact, couldn't have been foreseen) to the two sides when they struck the deal. Kovalchuk gave no intention that he wanted to stay in NJ before the deal was struck and it was only happenstance that in August of that year NJ finally won the bidding war against LA and got to keep him. For purposes of what was paid in that deal, NJ paid rental price, then went out later and bought him back like any other free agent. The mere fact that he went to free agency literally means he stopped being Devils property.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:52 PM
MGIII
Legendary

Does NJ have the cap space to just take a glut of our players?

MGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:56 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGIII View Post
Does NJ have the cap space to just take a glut of our players?
at the moment I think they are pretty strapped and right about at the limit ..

Old
10-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Any player at a 6 mil or higher cap hit like Parise is not in the plans for Buffalo. Here one way to look at Buffalo cap situation for next year...

Myers new contract will add 4.2 mil, but take away Boyes and the money evens out, but they're now down a forward. Ennis' new deal and new deals for Kaleta and Gragnani will add about another 3.5 mil. Take away Hecht and the money evens out, but they're now down a SECOND forward. Gaustad should be re-signed for about the same cap hit, so next season Buffalo will have to pay for several new contracts with the money from Boyes and Hecht. They'll have to rely on the NHL raising the cap limit in order to fill two roster spots, which means about enough room for entry level contracts for Kassian and Foligno, with maybe two more million to spare.

So Buffalo could leave one of the two rookies in Rochester and have an approximate maximum of 3 mil to pay for a forward (depending on the cap raise) and still have 13 forward spots filled. That means Parise, or anyone like him, is not in the equation in any way. Unless of course someone wants to trade Vanek for Parise, but I'll say it ahead of time that that is one really stupid idea. This is without repeating what others posted about Parise likely going the FA route anyway, with no real expectation that Parise would stay past June.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote