HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drury?

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2004, 09:35 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Drury?

I herd somebody mention him. Buffalo may be willing to trade him with Derek Roy looking ready to step up and play a top six role. Drury is easily affordable, and he's the kind of guy that could be more then just a stop gap as well, age wise he'd fit in with the Dvo's, Smyth's, York's etc. He's clutch too....... What would it take to get him out of Buffalo? Staios or Smith plus something?

08-27-2004, 09:38 PM
SerbianEagle

Rita, Brewer and a pick for Drury and McKee.

Fair deal I think.

Old
08-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I'd try hard to get one of Kalinin or Tallinder included in the deal. But then it'd probably cost too much.

Old
08-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
Rita, Brewer and a pick for Drury and McKee.

Fair deal I think.
Lowe can't make a deal without getting fleeced. Other GMs think the Oilers players are crap.

08-27-2004, 09:45 PM
SerbianEagle

When was the last time he got fleeced?

Old
08-27-2004, 09:51 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
When was the last time he got fleeced?
I don't think he gets fleeced. But Lowe gets criticized for every trade he makes. In some trades, fans do calm down though.

Old
08-27-2004, 09:55 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Ya, but Hemsky83, you think there is some international conspiracy agains anything Oiler. TO be honest, although we are often on the same side of the arguement, you're a little extreme.

I liked that offer with Brewer and Rita a bit - but I dunno.... do we really need another grinding Dman? I sure don't think so. I'd rather see Smith or Staios gone with Rita and no Dman coming back.

Old
08-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Ya, but Hemsky83, you think there is some international conspiracy agains anything Oiler. TO be honest, although we are often on the same side of the arguement, you're a little extreme.

I liked that offer with Brewer and Rita a bit - but I dunno.... do we really need another grinding Dman? I sure don't think so. I'd rather see Smith or Staios gone with Rita and no Dman coming back.
Well, there's two trades in particular that come to mind for that comment basically. It was the Hamrlik trade with the Islanders. Lowe was criticized big time and fans wanted him fired. The other trade was when he traded Carter and Niinimaa when fans wanted Lowe fired. There were also reports that Lowe received death threats.

Old
08-27-2004, 10:00 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26

In all honesty, I think the Oilers do need to trade a defensemen. Currently on the roster are 7 NHL defensemen. If I were Lowe I'd sign Smith to a long-term contract and trade Staios.

Old
08-27-2004, 10:05 PM
SerbianEagle

Sorry Hemsky83, I completely misunderstood your post.

Old
08-27-2004, 10:09 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
In all honesty, I think the Oilers do need to trade a defensemen. Currently on the roster are 7 NHL defensemen. If I were Lowe I'd sign Smith to a long-term contract and trade Staios.
Well reastically in any trade for a #1 Center it would probably be Smith/Staios and a Reasoner/Niinimaki with picks to even any trade out.

Brewer IMO is worth just about any 60 pt. Centerman straight across, and should command a Marleau type almost straight across.

Old
08-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
I agree, Staios is making 2.0 million for the next season(I believe). He is a good #4, that can play #3 minutes if he has too, anymore and he burns out. We were all witness to that last season when injuries occurred and he was forced into a #2 role. He simply folded.

however, I don't think Drury is the answer. Yes, he put up good #'s last season while playing defensively(18G, 35A, +8, 5 PPG), but at 5'10", and 180 lbs., then we are back to where we were with Comrie/Marchant being our centers, and lack of size being an issue.

I think we should go after Jokinen. I would try and pitch Staios + Isbister to Keenan for him. Try and use picks if not enough. Lynch and Woywitka make much less than the 2.0 million Staios is scheduled to make. Much rather give Jokien the extra Staios money, plus get Isbister's "less disgusting than before, but still disgusting" contract off the books.

Roll with an inexperienced defenseman for the season, we did it 2 years ago, starting the season with 5 bonfide NHL defensemen.

Brewer-Semenov
Smith-Lynch
Ulanov-Bergeron

May be trial by fire for Lynch, but he comes form the same mould Jason Smith does, so who better to learn from. If he falters, Cross comes out of the press box, and Bergeron slides up to the 2nd pairing.

Keenan may want Brewer. Now, i am not a Brewer fan, however, he does eat up a lot of minutes on the ice, playing against team's top lines. This woudl hurt us dramatically i think, we saw our PK die when Brewer got hurt last year, Staios simply could not replace those minutes. It would have to a drastic overpay on FLA's part I think for us to deal brewer, or part of a major blockbuster trade.

When it comes to FLA, I think the first players they will ask about are:

- Moreau
- Smith
- Brewer
- Smyth
- Isbister (fingers crossed on this one, they wanted him before he got traded to us.)

PS: Sorry to get off the Drury topic.

Last edited by Dr_Gonz0: 08-27-2004 at 10:36 PM.
Old
08-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
... but at 5'10", and 180 lbs., then we are back to where we were with Comrie/Marchant being our centers, and lack of size being an issue.
I always thought Drury was a pretty stocky guy, so I had to check out NHL.com to see what they said his weight was and they have listed at 202... Not arguing, just wondering if someone had a bit more insight to this. I did check TSN.ca afterwards, and they agreed with your 180(not sure if that's where you got it from or not). To me he does not look 180 pounds when on the ice. He isnt' some little wimp like Comrie was, at least IMO.

Old
08-27-2004, 10:59 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
I always thought Drury was a pretty stocky guy, so I had to check out NHL.com to see what they said his weight was and they have listed at 202... Not arguing, just wondering if someone had a bit more insight to this. I did check TSN.ca afterwards, and they agreed with your 180(not sure if that's where you got it from or not). To me he does not look 180 pounds when on the ice. He isnt' some little wimp like Comrie was, at least IMO.
true, which is what i first thought, until i checked TSN's stats on him, he could be a possibility. I would simply target Jokien first. He is the huge 1st line center that we have always wanted, with a finish. With 18 goals and 35 assists, Drury seems more of a set up man. Still, he would be a welcome improvement to our top 6 compared to Horcoff. Perhaps Staios + pick/prospect for him. It would have to be followed up with a 2nd trade to move some of our forward depth.

Didn't he hold out in Calgary though? wanted 3+ million, and that was a couple years ago i believe??

Old
08-28-2004, 12:25 AM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

I like this idea better than a majority of these other "options". Drury IMO is a better player than a lot of the other guys we have been routinely suggesting and if he is available I'm all for picking him up.

I think if KLO wanted to make a true statement in response to the Nedved signing and the Shames getting better he would make a push for a deal of this nature:

To Edmonton

Drury, Vanek and Tallinder

To Buffalo

Brewer, Horcoff, Isbister and a Philly's 3rd in '05

Is that remotely fair value wise? I think this deal could intrigue both parties and if KLO brought in 3 assets of that calibre I would for joy!!!

Old
08-28-2004, 12:37 AM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by salostyle
I like this idea better than a majority of these other "options". Drury IMO is a better player than a lot of the other guys we have been routinely suggesting and if he is available I'm all for picking him up.

I think if KLO wanted to make a true statement in response to the Nedved signing and the Shames getting better he would make a push for a deal of this nature:

To Edmonton

To Buffalo

Is that remotely fair value wise? I think this deal could intrigue both parties and if KLO brought in 3 assets of that calibre I would for joy!!!

I can't see Buffalo going for that deal. Isbister hasn't proven much, Brewer is good, but still hasn't really turned into an "elite" d-man yet, Horcoff is good, but can he replace Drury? and a late 3rd rounder. from an Oilers stand point I would seriously consider this deal, but we'd need a d-man to help take away Brewer's 24+ minutes/game.

Old
08-28-2004, 12:58 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

To Edmonton

To Buffalo

I wouldn't do this trade for the simple fact that Brewer is traded. How many games did the Oilers win without Brewer last season? None. The PK also went south in those games he was injured. Why all this hate for Brewer is what I'd like to know? I'm sure glad you're not the GM. There's also a rumour that Drury doesn't want to play in Canada. I don't know if there's any truth to it. Who in the world are Vanek and Tallinder?

Last edited by Narnia: 08-28-2004 at 01:21 AM.
Old
08-28-2004, 01:05 AM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

No hate towards Brew whatsoever. I just realize that you have to give in order to recieve and aside from Smyth...Brewer is our next most attractive asset with Hemsky a close third. Out of those three Brewer is the guy I would be most willing to part with because I think we have the most depth at that position...even more so than Smyth's LW position.

Teams don't want quantity, they want quality. Brewer is quality and if we want to improve now we are going to have to deal from a strength to adress a weakness.

I see the deal as Brewer >> Drury, Horcoff << Vanek (even though he hasn't played an NHL game) Isbister and Philly's 3rd in '05 > Tallinder (but we need a d-man back in the deal to somewhat offset the loss and we will have to overpay slightly to acquire one of Tallinder/Khalinin)!!!

No hate for Brewer, my favourite Oilers' blueliner, but also one of our best trading chips and one that could be cashed in at any given time.

Old
08-28-2004, 01:19 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No hate towards Brew whatsoever. I just realize that you have to give in order to recieve and aside from Smyth...Brewer is our next most attractive asset with Hemsky a close third. Out of those three Brewer is the guy I would be most willing to part with because I think we have the most depth at that position...even more so than Smyth's LW position.

Teams don't want quantity, they want quality. Brewer is quality and if we want to improve now we are going to have to deal from a strength to adress a weakness.

I see the deal as Brewer >> Drury, Horcoff << Vanek (even though he hasn't played an NHL game) Isbister and Philly's 3rd in '05 > Tallinder (but we need a d-man back in the deal to somewhat offset the loss and we will have to overpay slightly to acquire one of Tallinder/Khalinin)!!!

No hate for Brewer, my favourite Oilers' blueliner, but also one of our best trading chips and one that could be cashed in at any given time.
Why not Staios. Brewer eats up a lot of minutes. Remember the complaints after Poti was traded. Who's going to play Brewer's minutes? If Brewer is traded, this team will take a step back 5 years.

Old
08-28-2004, 01:30 AM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

Solid points Hemsky83 but I think Staios is worth more to the Oilers than he is on the market. Brewer's value is a lot higher than Staios' and I highly doubt that proposal with Staios instead of Brewer would get a second glance from Regier (Buffalo's GM)...maybe if the Philly 3rd was changed to our 2nd or even 1st. At that point I take the offer off the table if I am KLO.

Brewer is an integral part of our "core" no doubt but his trade value may be at an all-time high this off-season being he is still relatily cheap (IMO), he's represented Canada numerous times and is a year or two away from being a legitimate all-star in this league and carrying the torch for guys like Blake.

However I think 5-years in reverse or standby is an overexaggeration. I honestly think we can get by with a defense of:

Smith Semenov
Staios Tallinder
Bergeron Ulanov
Extras: Cross, Wowytka, Lynch

That will get us through 04/05 if there is even a season or a portion of a season. You look forward say 2-3 years to 06/07 and our defense now looks like:

Semenov Tallinder
Wowytka Lynch
Bergeron Greene
***Chances are at least one veteran will remain part of our D but I don't think we step back 5-years by dealing Brewer for a quality return such as this potential Buffalo deal.

Old
08-28-2004, 01:53 AM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

Guys if you feel my proposal is close to fair value-wise...please swing by the Trade Rumors and Proposals Board and balance the abuse I'm taking.

Old
08-28-2004, 02:27 AM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
I wouldn't do this trade for the simple fact that Brewer is traded. How many games did the Oilers win without Brewer last season? None. The PK also went south in those games he was injured. Why all this hate for Brewer is what I'd like to know? I'm sure glad you're not the GM. There's also a rumour that Drury doesn't want to play in Canada. I don't know if there's any truth to it. Who in the world are Vanek and Tallinder?
Vanek was a top pick in the 2003 draft, top 6 i believe. No mere throw in i am afriand, and neither is Tallinder.

Brewer may be the top playe rin this proposal, but the BUF players are better than horcoff adn isbister for sure.

Stop with the trade proposals with our crap going for top players/prospects. If we don't want them, why would another team??!?!?!?!

Old
08-28-2004, 09:19 AM
WFHACommish

He didn't want to be in Cow-town and wanted a trade..what makes you think he want to be in EDM?

Old
08-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

Sorry guys I wasn't aware Drury wanted out of Calgary and also has a bit of $$$ fantasy. Personally I would want out of Calgary too but I think you're right as far as him wanting to stay down south.

I really don't think Horcoff and Isbister are garbage pieces in the deal, I think both hold decent value on the trade market...especially Horcoff who I know you guys are not overly fond of.

I broke the deal down to look like:

Brewer > Drury (by a decent margin)
Horcoff < Vanek (Even though Vanek remains unsigned and has yet to touch NHL ice)
Isbister and Philly's 3rd in '05 = Tallinder

Back to the drawing board though...I have the day off so I am going to track down some other lost soldier, we haven't been discussing, who might fit the bill here in the City of Champions!

Closed Thread