Kluzaks anti-fighting rant.

Old
10-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Daishi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Look who's never been to Canada.
I can't see why I need to actually visit Canada (I will one day though -- Seems like a lovely country) to make the gentle assessment that a sport that is closely followed by 30% of a nation's population wouldn't be negatively affected in any significant amount if fighting (an activity that may or may not take place during a game and only has speculative effects on the actual end result of the game) was banned. The popularity of the sport in Canada is light years ahead of every other country in the world except Sweden and Finland, so I'm pretty sure it could take the hit of show fighting going the way of the dodo.

On another note, attendance at the St.Louis @ Dallas game was 7900. The population of Dallas is 1.2 million. There's towns in Finland with 50K and less people who get more or the same amount of people to their arenas as the Dallas Stars do. It's embarassing how small hockey is in some markets. I'm not sure if we even need to concern ourselves of how the removal of fighting affects those already seemingly dead markets. It's the same in Europe of course in countries like England, Germany, France and Italy, where the normal people don't even know (or care) if hockey is played in their cities at all.

Daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
I can't see why I need to actually visit Canada (I will one day though -- Seems like a lovely country) to make the gentle assessment that a sport that is closely followed by 30% of a nation's population wouldn't be negatively affected in any significant amount if fighting (an activity that may or may not take place during a game and only has speculative effects on the actual end result of the game) was banned. The popularity of the sport in Canada is light years ahead of every other country in the world except Sweden and Finland, so I'm pretty sure it could take the hit of show fighting going the way of the dodo.

On another note, attendance at the St.Louis @ Dallas game was 7900. The population of Dallas is 1.2 million. There's towns in Finland with 50K and less people who get more or the same amount of people to their arenas as the Dallas Stars do. It's embarassing how small hockey is in some markets. I'm not sure if we even need to concern ourselves of how the removal of fighting affects those already seemingly dead markets. It's the same in Europe of course in countries like England, Germany, France and Italy, where the normal people don't even know (or care) if hockey is played in their cities at all.
Couple of things regarding Dallas. In just about every market, winning is the thing. The Stars missed the playoffs last season. They've gotten off to a decent star this fall; if it continues, you should see their numbers climb.

Another factor, probably more important but which you probably are unaware of, is that the Texas Rangers played the Detroit Tigers that night in Game 5 of the American League Championship Series. Such conflicts tend to distract a fan base.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Turk

Quote:

That gentle assessment is being outvoted roughly 5-1 on the Leafs board. Canadians like fighting. They might 'tolerate' a ban by still attending but they would never be happy about it.

The saddest part is, a large number of the 17% who want it gone are casual fans who watch highlites on TSN with breakfast and proclaim themselves to be fans. If you talk to Canadians who played and actively watch hockey.......there is, and never was an argument.

Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 07:38 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingchicklet View Post
I have no beef with Kluzak taking a stance on fighting. He has the right to say what he wants to say, and his opinion has simply changed over the years. I disagree with his take, however. Like others have pointed out, hockey fights very rarely end in someone getting injured or concussed...
I also enjoy watching fights that aren't staged--those that break out spontaneously--but I don't think it's accurate to say that concussions are a very rare result of trading punches. Whenever a combatant is stunned or dazed by a blow, he suffers in effect a low grade concussion.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
RE: no injuries/concussions from fighting -

I wonder what would happen if combatants were forced to go in the quiet room for 10 minutes? Would the dumb goon-on-goon fights dwindle? Would we see a spike in reported injuries? It seems like a logical step if the league is concerned about fighters' safety.

Not saying I necessarily endorse such a plan, but I am curious about what the fallout would be.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:10 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
RE: no injuries/concussions from fighting -

I wonder what would happen if combatants were forced to go in the quiet room for 10 minutes? Would the dumb goon-on-goon fights dwindle? Would we see a spike in reported injuries? It seems like a logical step if the league is concerned about fighters' safety.

Not saying I necessarily endorse such a plan, but I am curious about what the fallout would be.
Aren't players forced to the dark if they show signs of a concussion, regardless of if it was a stick, elbow, shoulder, fist etc?

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Lobster57

vCash: 225
i think what he's saying is that ANY time there is fight both guys have to go to the quiet room and be assessed. Its actually an interesting (i won't say good) idea and would very possibly cut down on the staged, unnecessary fights.

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Schmautzie
Dave est magané

Quote:

The Texas Rangers baseball team was playing in the playoffs that evening so that may have had some affect. But, overall, there's no denying that there are a few NHL cities that don't draw flies *cough* *Phoenix* *cough*

Schmautzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmautzie View Post
The Texas Rangers baseball team was playing in the playoffs that evening so that may have had some affect. But, overall, there's no denying that there are a few NHL cities that don't draw flies *cough* *Phoenix* *cough*
Even in places like Phoenix, it all comes down to winning. if Phoenix had had a solid playoff run, they'd be drawing much more than flies.

The only team I've seen that wins but still doesn't draw fans on a consistent basis is the Tampa Bay Rays.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:54 PM
jmiller010

Got to love the Bettman bashing...I've really never gathered the guy is "anti-fighting"...I'm willing to change that opinion though if someone can show me some actual evidence to believe that...me thinks it's just another superiority complex with the fan v. commisioner relationship that is mandatory in every professional sport nowadays.

Check out how much money the NHL made before Bettman and check the numbers before the lockout, and again now. Don't really think fans should be saying he's about to make some stupid decision that's going to lose a vast majority of fans given his track record. Hate the guy for legitimate reasons (being anti-Canada, I guess?) all you want, but at least to me, *****ing about the commissioner for no good reason got old and childish long ago.

jmiller010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:27 PM
bomber22

Kluzak should just wear his pink hat the next time he gets on the air. He is brutal. He must work cheap, I hope NESN isn't paying him much. Dale can join him, now that he is rethinking to become a pink hat fan. Maybe the Celtics can hire them if they don't like fighting.

bomber22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:52 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Even in places like Phoenix, it all comes down to winning. if Phoenix had had a solid playoff run, they'd be drawing much more than flies.

The only team I've seen that wins but still doesn't draw fans on a consistent basis is the Tampa Bay Rays.
Atlanta Braves,despite finishing first from 2000-2005 had a 60%-70% of capacity attendance rate at home,which continues today. Texas drew 75% capacity for the year.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Kuck Fluzak. If you don't enjoy the occasional fight/line dust-up then don't watch? With all this anti fighting nonsense going on, someone explain the popularity of the MMA/cage fighting. The knowledge that Stars and Bruins could engage in another fight filled classic has all real hockey fans tuning in.

Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 07:14 AM
EverettMike

Wow.

This thread is ridiculous. The guy has a different opinion. Feel free to disagree, but it isn't like he is spouting off some super-crazy, super-minority, wacko opinion.

I disagree with him too. But if someone in an NHL game took a punch tomorrow during a fight and it either killed him or the fall to the ice did, Kluzak would look prescient.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 08:41 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

vCash: 50
I used to enjoy the fights more than I do now. I think the game can survive with a more strict fighting punishment (game misconduct? mandatory 1 game suspension?). Its not like there are no occasions to drop the gloves in order to defend a team-mate or get a measure of justice...just make sure they are meaningful to the game or players, and not just a cheap tactic or sideshow.

Also, I'm fine if they leave it like it is. But I would understand and accept a change.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:32 AM
bruinsfan1970
Global Moderator
B's R always Champs!

Kluzak is cool you just gotta take what he says lightly.

10-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan1970 View Post
Kluzak is cool you just gotta take what he says lightly.
Whoa whoa whoa, let's not get carried away.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote