HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers sign Huberdeau to ELC, stays in Juniors

Old
10-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Panthers sign Huberdeau to ELC, stays in Juniors

Quote:
#FlaPanthers sign Huberdeau, @JonnyHuby11, to entry-level contact. Will remain with @SeaDogsHockey this season http://******/6SUyG
From the official FlaPanthers twitter account.

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=595307

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:12 PM
flomarilius

vCash: 515
So essentially if we need him for a 9 game span we can call him?

flomarilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:12 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Awesome!

Glad they did it so quick, so we don't end up with all the retarded trade-proposals.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Catsfan7

@flomarilius: Might be a little late.
At least we won't have to worry about it next year.

Catsfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by flomarilius View Post
So essentially if we need him for a 9 game span we can call him?
Emergency call-up only, we have to be lacking in depth from our minor leaguers to call him up, which is pretty unlikely. Also the OHL season for him has to be over.

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:20 PM
flomarilius

Alright thanks I wasn't sure how that would've worked. Thanks again for the clarification

Old
10-10-2011, 02:23 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Emergency call-up only, we have to be lacking in depth from our minor leaguers to call him up, which is pretty unlikely. Also the OHL season for him has to be over.
QMJHL..

He had three points and was the 1st star the other night btw..

Old
10-10-2011, 02:25 PM
flomarilius

I guess I'm not the only one who calls Canadian Junior hockey in general as the "O" lol

Old
10-10-2011, 02:27 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Just saw it on the Cats site, very nice. Im curious though, why do this now, and not over the next summer? Im sure both parties wanted to get this out of the way, but do we lose a year because of him signing this year, but not being here until next?

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:28 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Just saw it on the Cats site, very nice. Im curious though, why do this now, and not over the next summer? Im sure both parties wanted to get this out of the way, but do we lose a year because of him signing this year, but not being here until next?
We don't lose a year unless he plays more than 9 NHL games this year.

Old
10-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Glad it's taken care of and won't be a distraction.

10-10-2011, 02:39 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
We don't lose a year unless he plays more than 9 NHL games this year.
Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks for that. But we do have to re-sign him one year earlier, no?

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:22 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Very happy!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:36 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks for that. But we do have to re-sign him one year earlier, no?
Nope...

We'll have to sign again him when he plays three years of professionnal hockey with our organization, the three-year of his ELC !

If he comes back next training camp (for the 2012-2013 season) and doesn't make the team, he'll have to go to juniors because he won't be 20 until July 2013, his contract wouldn't kick in since he would play junior hockey !

His contract is sure to kick in at least during the 2013-2014 season (whether he plays in the A or with the big club), in that case he becomes RFA after the 2015-2016 season...

If he makes the opening night roster in 2012-2013 and plays 10 games, he will be a RFA after the 2014-2015 season.

Timing of your signing doesn't do anything with your contract, it is seasons played that are important.

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
Nope...

We'll have to sign again him when he plays three years of professionnal hockey with our organization, the three-year of his ELC !

If he comes back next training camp (for the 2012-2013 season) and doesn't make the team, he'll have to go to juniors because he won't be 20 until July 2013, his contract wouldn't kick in since he would play junior hockey !

His contract is sure to kick in at least during the 2013-2014 season (whether he plays in the A or with the big club), in that case he becomes RFA after the 2015-2016 season...

If he makes the opening night roster in 2012-2013 and plays 10 games, he will be a RFA after the 2014-2015 season.

Timing of your signing doesn't do anything with your contract, it is seasons played that are important.

Are you sure thats how it works?
I read the other month that the 9 game rule only involves at what age they become UFA, and that it takes 40 games with the NHL club for the contract to count as one season from the ELC-deal.

Doesnt really matter, but that poster put a thought in my head I want to clear out!

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:56 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
Are you sure thats how it works?
I read the other month that the 9 game rule only involves at what age they become UFA, and that it takes 40 games with the NHL club for the contract to count as one season from the ELC-deal.

Doesnt really matter, but that poster put a thought in my head I want to clear out!
There is some kind of loophole yes...

That's why Michal Repik is still with us, his ELC went something like 4 years because of the CBA.

Still, pb1300 asked if the timing of the signature had anything to do in how it works and it doesn't...

Would have to check on that, but don't have the time right now.

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

Good to see that everyone knows how the contracts work better than me. When I first saw this I was just thinking what's the point as it would restrict his ELC but if it has no effect then it is good to have got him to sign on nice and early.

Looking forward to see him as a Panther.

Panthers are Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Yeah the trickiness with how ELC's work is odd at times but it really is also about age of when they sign the contract too. Signing him as an 18 yr old now can provide certain benefits (and he would want to sign now to get a signing bonus so he'll still get money now). But the CBA is very clear and for 1 yr of the contract to be counted toward free agency, the player has to play at least 10 games in the NHL. Also keep in mind, even if he plays 10 games next yr but doesnt play 10 games the following year in the NHL, then his contract would slide an extra yr (thats what sorta happened with Repik...only 5 NHL games his first yr). Here's the official wording:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL CBA
Article 9.1.d
i. In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

ii. In the event that a Player signs his first SPC at age 18 and has had his SPC extended pursuant to Subsection (i), and such Player does not play at least ten (10) NHL games in the second season under that SPC, then the terms of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for one (1) additional year. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.
As an FYI for those wondeirng, the "40 game" mark that some people misunderstand at times is only in regards to the waiver-eligibility of a player and relates to the previous season too. Kinda understandable in that a lot of young players during the ELC may or may not be waiver eligible depending on that requirement (and technically how old they were when they first signed their contract).

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:59 PM
CanadianPantherFan

He could play in the playoffs as his first games like Iginla did for the Flames vs Hawks (if his team is out of the playoffs in the Q). Correct?

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:08 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Question for anyone that can answer...

Is there any money in Saint John hockey? Like ticket/merch/sponsor sales? If so, any chance Tallon gets money for helping that along?

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Question for anyone that can answer...

Is there any money in Saint John hockey? Like ticket/merch/sponsor sales? If so, any chance Tallon gets money for helping that along?
Yorkman? That you?

wow dude.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
He could play in the playoffs as his first games like Iginla did for the Flames vs Hawks (if his team is out of the playoffs in the Q). Correct?
That's interesting. Anyone know if he doesn't play for us during regular season(or plays less then 9games) do playoff games count towards the 10game total?

Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
That's interesting. Anyone know if he doesn't play for us during regular season(or plays less then 9games) do playoff games count towards the 10game total?
I don't believe that playoff games count cause players actually dont receive paychecks during the playoffs. I'm sure theres additional wording in the CBA that defines it as regular season games but I'm not at my PC atm so can't verify that.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I don't believe that playoff games count cause players actually dont receive paychecks during the playoffs. I'm sure theres additional wording in the CBA that defines it as regular season games but I'm not at my PC atm so can't verify that.
He has to sign a PTO at the end of the year to play pro (games don't count, because he is only on a tryout contract). He could play NHL regular season and they still wouldn't count.

BTW, Huberdeau has been named captain of the Saint John Sea Dogs.

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote