HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lines

Old
10-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Lines

The lines need a mix. It's clearly not working. Here's what I would do

-Landeskog-Stastny-Mueller (I think Landeskog has been one of our best players so far. Creates space and gets in on the forecheck. Mueller hasn't shown much, but his shot was deadly before, I want Stastny feeding him pucks)
-Lindstrom-Duchene-Hejduk (I haven't seen any of Lindstrom, but from what I've heard he's skilled, try him out with Duchene and hope they mesh)
-Galiardi-O'Reilly-Jones (Galiardi needs to move up the depth chart and this give Radar some offensive weapons)
-Winnik-McClement-Kobasew (All solid players, mostly shut down line, with some offense)

or

Duchene-Stastny-Hejduk
Mueller-O'Reilly-Jones
Landeskog-McClement-Galiardi
McLeod-Winnik-Kobasew (I believe Winnik has played center before)

I much prefer option 1.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:08 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Lando - Duchene - Duke
Lindstrom - Staz - Mueller
Galiardi - O'Reilly - Jones
Winnik- McClement- Kobasew

I'd love to see that.

ANewHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality

The only thing that needs to be done is Kobasew for gags.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:11 PM
cgf

Winnik is so under-rated.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:11 PM
chewey
dmitri

I much prefer your second line. I am still a strong advocate for Duchene to wing.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Xgp

vCash: 50
If they shuffle (as they should), I hope they keep the 3rd line together.

Xgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:18 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Why in the world would we break up our best line? This isn't a video game.

The only thing I would do right now is swap Kobasew and Galiardi.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:19 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Yeah, you can't break up the 3rd line. They're playing too well.

The only move I make for now is putting Galiardi with Stastny, but I wouldn't be opposed to Stastny and Duchene together.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Understandable. Our third line has been great. The other lines have been poor. Imo the lines needs a new look. I don't think just swapping a player or two will fix everything. Maybe the chemistry will come the way they are. I'd like to at least give Stastny one of Mueller or Hejduk, probably Mueller.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:52 PM
avsman

I wanna see a game with lindstrom on the first line to see how he does, or for that matter there are several forwards i would prefer there

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:54 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
Understandable. Our third line has been great. The other lines have been poor. Imo the lines needs a new look. I don't think just swapping a player or two will fix everything. Maybe the chemistry will come the way they are. I'd like to at least give Stastny one of Mueller or Hejduk, probably Mueller.
I hear your point, but what people need to understand is that this isn't how real hockey works.

The current lines aren't scoring, but they are playing very solid defensive hockey and ultimately making very few mistakes. We have 97 shots in the first 3 games. I'll say it again. 97 shots over 9 and a little bit more periods of hockey.

Don't get me wrong, I want more goals, but you don't mess with success. I'm all for swapping Kobasew and Galiardi from the 1st and 4th units, but nothing radical.

While changing the lines still won't guarantee goals, what it will guarantee is guys trying to find chemistry again. It's not like our passing is wayward or we're not creating chances. The guys know where to pass the puck, how to break out effectively, how to cycle(we cycle the puck tremendously well).

The last thing we need right now is too much shuffling. We have 2 wins from 2 games on this road trip. Let the team continue to try and win, build on the confidence and good nature going on right now, and re-evaluate after the road trip if a few changes are required.

Old
10-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
This, and then keep the lines the way they were.

Our key defense when people bag on Stastny is he has ****** inconstant wingers. If he is going to build chemistry with any of them, stop the line shuffling as soon as a goal is scored against.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:08 PM
PAZ

Imo, keep the third line together, and Matt and Duke together, then see what works.

Mueller - Stastny - Jones
Lindstrom/Galiardi - Duchene - Hedjuk
Landeskog - RoR - Winnik
Kobasew - McClement - Mcleod/Galiardi/Lindstrom

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

Quote:
I wouldn't mind seeing chuck and TJ switching spots and letting jones move to RW and TJ playing LW. jones looks lost at LW.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgp View Post
If they shuffle (as they should), I hope they keep the 3rd line together.
Agree on both counts. I don't see Sacco doing it though, for whatever reason, TJ going to have to keep proving himself.

Eventually, the lines will need to change though. I like the potential chemistry that Mueller-Duchene-Hejduk may of had at some point but things change. I'd like to see Mules with Stastny and Jones to give them someone who's got more skill. On the Duchene line, Landeskog is an eventual no-brainer but since the 3rd line is working right now, I wouldn't mess with it until at least one of the other lines starts showing something. Galiardi could be a good option on that line until Lando is ready. He's the kind of guy that they need to grind the puck out of the corners and make smart plays. Right now, none of Mules, Dutchy or Duke are doing that.

So I would do this for now :

Galiardi-Duchene-Hejduk
Mueller-Stastny-Jones
Lando-O'Reilly-Winnik
McLeod-McClement-Kobasew

If Galiardi plays up to par on that line, great. If not, maybe you're 10 games in and Lando is more ready to assume bigger responsibility. His style of play would fit very well with Duchene and Hejduk.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:40 AM
shadow1

The third line and fourth line have clearly been great. The first line hasn't been great, but they had it's chances tonight (6 combined shots). Everyone knows the story with the second line; i.e. Mueller, and to a lesser extent Duchene having another slow start (though it's only three games).

I think it would be stupid to tinker with any of the lines right now, unless it were a one-for-one swap with Porter/Lidstrom for Kobasew.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:39 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I'm of the mind that yes, the 3rd and 4th lines have been effective but that doesn't mean squat if our top two lines aren't. A simple Gally-for-Kobasew swap will not fix things. While I'd love to see Lando stay with O'Reilly, we need him on one of the top lines.

As I said before, the offensive problems won't be fixed until we insert another puckmover into the mix on D (sorry, Johnson and Quincey alone are not good enough) but mixing the lines up a little should at least help a bit.

Incidentally, why didn't management sent Mueller to Lake Erie on a conditioning stint? Surely he qualifies because right now he simply isn't in game shape.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:52 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I'm of the mind that yes, the 3rd and 4th lines have been effective but that doesn't mean squat if our top two lines aren't. A simple Gally-for-Kobasew swap will not fix things. While I'd love to see Lando stay with O'Reilly, we need him on one of the top lines.

As I said before, the offensive problems won't be fixed until we insert another puckmover into the mix on D (sorry, Johnson and Quincey alone are not good enough) but mixing the lines up a little should at least help a bit.

Incidentally, why didn't management sent Mueller to Lake Erie on a conditioning stint? Surely he qualifies because right now he simply isn't in game shape.
Juggling the lines right won't fix a problem, I think for the top 2 lines its more of getting back into things and staying consistent more then anything. Duchene needs to stop trying to be so fancy and get shots on net.

If you have noticed around the league, quite a few top lines haven't been producing, I mean its only 3-4 games into the season. I say give it 10 games or so and if nothing is happening, then it's time to figure out what isn't clicking.

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:08 AM
Nihiliste

At some point during the season (once Mueller's back in shape, Lando settles in, and Elliott gets called up), I want to see this lineup:

Landeskog-Duchene-Hejduk
Mueller-Stastny-Jones
Galiardi-O'reilly-Winnik
Mcleod-McClement-Kobasew

Quincey-EJ
Hejda-Elliott
O'brien-O'byrne

That combination would solve a lot of issues IMO. Improves puck movement from the backend, gives Duchene's line some grit, adds skill and another shooting option to Stastny's line, gives Galiardi more playing time while keeping the integrity of the 3rd line intact, and gets Kobasew and O'brien in more appropriate roles. Also gets Jones back where he belongs, on the right side.

Last edited by Nihiliste: 10-13-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Nihiliste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:36 PM
TatteredTornNFrayed
ocelot spleens, ...

We all keep talking about how well our 3rd line is playing, but is it really the 3rd line right now? They seem to be out there for the opening faceoff of just about every period. O'Reilly is currently the EVEN STRENGTH Ice-Time leader at center. And except for Hejduk, Winnik and Landeskog are the leading ES TOI leaders at wing.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce

The way Sacco seems to award ice time, it seems you could make the argument that ROR's line is currently the #1 line, and they seem to be earning it. At the very least we seem to have 3 top lines getting fairly similar times. But the ROR line almost seems to be the go-to line right now. And Mueller is at the bottom of the top-9 times, which is also not unexpected.

I do still agree with the large contingent that would like to see Galiardi take Kobasew's spot in the top-9 however. We can't expect to keep winning if the Duchene and Stastny lines aren't producing better.

Also, if ROR continues to lead like this, maybe his name starts becoming more common in the C discussion again? He certainly seems to have the right characteristics.

TatteredTornNFrayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

vCash: 1248
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatteredTornNFrayed View Post
We all keep talking about how well our 3rd line is playing, but is it really the 3rd line right now? They seem to be out there for the opening faceoff of just about every period. O'Reilly is currently the EVEN STRENGTH Ice-Time leader at center. And except for Hejduk, Winnik and Landeskog are the leading ES TOI leaders at wing.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce

The way Sacco seems to award ice time, it seems you could make the argument that ROR's line is currently the #1 line, and they seem to be earning it. At the very least we seem to have 3 top lines getting fairly similar times. But the ROR line almost seems to be the go-to line right now. And Mueller is at the bottom of the top-9 times, which is also not unexpected.

I do still agree with the large contingent that would like to see Galiardi take Kobasew's spot in the top-9 however. We can't expect to keep winning if the Duchene and Stastny lines aren't producing better.

Also, if ROR continues to lead like this, maybe his name starts becoming more common in the C discussion again? He certainly seems to have the right characteristics.
Exactly .. with Winnik - O'Reilly - Landeskog playing like a 2nd line, Sacco should load up on the top line to get some offense going.

Duchene - Stastny - Hejduk
Winnik - O'Reilly - Landeskog

And mix and match the bottom 6

Galiardi - Mueller - Jones
McLeod - McClement - Kobasew
Porter/Lindstrom

Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

I know the O'Reilly line has played well, but it's not like they are producing that much better than either Duchene or Stastny's lines. Both he and Duchene's lines have just 2 points, Stastny's has 0. A combined 4 points for the top 3 lines in 3 games isn't good, and it's not just the regular season either. This team struggled to score in nearly every Preseason game. Something needs to happen to get them going, both 5 on 5, and especially the PP, which looks lost. Problem is, Mueller doesn't appear to be a good fit on any one's wing right now, Stastny is stuck with two glorified 3rd liners as line mates, and Duchene would rather dangle and spin, than shoot.

Is it as simple as trading Lindstrom for Kobasew, or moving Landeskog and/or Galiardi up? Should Duchene play wing with Stastny or O'Reilly? Do you take Mueller off the point and pair Johnson with Quincey on the PP? Or should Sacco give it 2-3 more games before he makes any changes?

Last edited by Bill Peckerskull: 10-13-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Bill Peckerskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:23 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
Exactly .. with Winnik - O'Reilly - Landeskog playing like a 2nd line, Sacco should load up on the top line to get some offense going.

Porter/Lindstrom
Putting the current Peter Mueller at centre would just be cruel.

Old
10-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Gumballhead

We don't have any easy solutions right now, so I think it's going to take a while to see what works. I do think it's time to try Kobasew on the 4th line and move up Gali, and we should at least see what Lindstrom looks like.

Also, we've only played 3 games. hahahaha.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:57 PM
TatteredTornNFrayed
ocelot spleens, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

Porter/Lindstrom
I would be very interested to see how that works. Most anything that has McCleod and Kobasew on the 4th seems worth a try to me.
I'd probably have Gali at center over Mueller. Maybe swap he and McClement, but JayMac seems more of a defensive player, and Gali seems to have a more offensive potential so I think the way you have it is best, but Sacco still only gave TJ 9 minutes yesterday despite the 1P goal.

I have generally agreed that in his current form Duchene might be effective at wing, and we've already seen some form of this combo on the PP. I think its worth a try.

I think the key thing we may have all yet to fully wrap our head around is that despite some familiar pieces, this team is no longer anything like the team that was playing 6-5 games last year. We are now built MUCH MUCH more defensively, and perhaps we are being coached much more defensively as well, and we might need to get a lot more used to seeing a lot more 2-1 type games.

TatteredTornNFrayed is offline   Reply With Quote