HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You're Howson....

View Poll Results: You're Howson. What do you do at 0-3-1?
Stand Pat. The answer is in the room. Do nothing. Hope for best. The team will come around! 24 34.78%
Freshen up my resume, and put my house up for sale. 11 15.94%
Get rid of Mason. Enough is enough. Find another G through trade or FA 15 21.74%
Make a big move to resuscitate the D (i.e. trade RyJo for #1D) 13 18.84%
Invite Hitch out to Tim's for coffee and some bits, get ready to beg for help 6 8.70%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-13-2011, 01:52 AM
  #51
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I'd have Mayorov on the second line for a few games... RJ? he's a no comment player here.
My lines:

Prospal--Carter--Nash
Majorov--Johansen--Atkinson (over 15 minutes)
Calvert--McKenzie--Dorsett
Vermette--Pahlsson--Umberger (and the time like for the fourth line, below 10 minutes)

I am not Dorsett fan but I see only one Derek plays every shift like his last and if he is not so skill like Brassard or Umberger, he will try. And it is not any reason to scratch him.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 07:11 AM
  #52
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,856
vCash: 500
Howson's only hope is that Dekanich is as good of an NHL goalie as he is an AHL goalie. Mason is an average goalie, his track record is showing that now. While all our problems right now are not all his fault, but with the team infront of him, and an average goalie, we're not going far. Mason HAS to make the save on that first goal last night....no excuse. Yes he only gave up 2 goals last night, but it was the Avalanche, who outside of Duchene and an aging Hejduk, have zero star power....hell, Hejda is their leading scorer right now with 2 points!

There's no help in the A, because we've already got about 5 guys in the lineup who should be down there right now, so there's no help coming that way. As mentioned, we have no bullets outside of Johansen to upgrade our defense, and with the poor contracts that have been given out (Methot making $3m ) we're going to be stuck with what we've got for a while. So what do I do if i'm Howson? Pray

BluejacketNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 07:12 AM
  #53
FiveHole23
Registered User
 
FiveHole23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,499
vCash: 500
Clean out your desk, and turn off the lights on your way out.

The only positive is the next two games we play Dallas(i think) a team that "should" be worse than us without a doubt. To possible give us some false hope.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 07:33 AM
  #54
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHole23 View Post
Clean out your desk, and turn off the lights on your way out.

The only positive is the next two games we play Dallas(i think) a team that "should" be worse than us without a doubt. To possible give us some false hope.
On paper, the Av's are clearly worst then us.......

BluejacketNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:01 AM
  #55
MisterC
Registered User
 
MisterC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toledo, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterC
I throw myself off the roof of Nationwide Arena, with Arniel tied to my ankle.

Seriously, there's no other phrase that comes to mind than "failure of massive proportions". We're not even 2 weeks into it, and it's already "too late".

MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:04 AM
  #56
5StringBuzz
Registered User
 
5StringBuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,427
vCash: 500
Mason hasn't thrilled me, and he hasn't stolen any games, but he's not the reason we're 0-20 on the PP or the reason a team that drops 30 shots in the first two periods last night gets one (1) in the third. There's no excuse for that, whether you're at game 4 or game 82, in the playoff hunt or out. The PP is very troubling. Even without the Wiz, there's no excuse for starting out 0-20. Teams CAN score on the PP without a great PPQB or a booming point shot. Seems to me the problems we're seeing show a pattern of poor systems, poor structure, and lack of discipline -- all coaching issues. I didn't vote, because I didn't see anything (meaningful -- the Hitch thing isn't happening) about coaching.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:06 AM
  #57
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,457
vCash: 500
Ok, I'll vote even though none of the options are what I would do.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:12 AM
  #58
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
The part where you scrutinize everyone's posts, including mine like I was trying to personally send that to Howson. My point was getting Bobrovsky and ridding ourselves of Mason. If you want to come up and post a better proposal, be my guest.
Of course we scrutinize peoples posts. If you say, "I would love to find a way to snake Philly out of Bob", great. We get along fine. Otherwise you just sound like it's something you think Howson could reasonably attempt to do. Don't make it sound like you are somehow being put out. Get more skin. If that bugs you, the problem is with you not me.

I'm not going to suggest anything for two reasons.

1. I don't think there are good options.
2. I don't think we should attempt to do anything right now.

Therefor I see no reason to make a proposal.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:26 AM
  #59
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I'd have Mayorov on the second line for a few games... RJ? he's a no comment player here.
What has MM done to have earned 2nd line ice time?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:42 AM
  #60
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
What has MM done to have earned 2nd line ice time?
Maybe because he plays good better than our the second line players... if it is not enough I do not know.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:05 AM
  #61
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 13,635
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Was Mason responsable for that overturned tanker truck on 270? I have no evidence to back that up, but it's a more logical conclusion then the ones that the folks blaming him for a loss depite stopping 30 of 32 shots seem to have arrived at.

__________________
Truth should never get in the way of a good persecution complex.
Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:14 AM
  #62
Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,946
vCash: 500
Coach is back to Hitch philosiphy, Mason can't allow more than one goal to win games. Eight new faces, but twelve have been here before. When I saw only one shot on goal through most of the third period, I knew that the second goal was coming and Mason would lose in a shootout.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:17 AM
  #63
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Was Mason responsable for that overturned tanker truck on 270? I have no evidence to back that up, but it's a more logical conclusion then the ones that the folks blaming him for a loss depite stopping 30 of 32 shots seem to have arrived at.
Was he responsible for his performance in the SO? Yes. Is that why we lost? Well, that's up to each of us to decide. I didn't think either of those goals he gave up were soft (in regulation). He made some good stops in regulation.

I would say he's part of a small group responsible for not getting the other point.

How you decide to spin that is up to you.

However, Mason is dead to me... For now... This isn't one bad SO, this is a pattern over time. SO's are too important now to give up so many goals during them. SO's shouldn't be that important, but that's where we are.

Oh and your little comparison there wasn't very good. You'll want to step your hyperbole game up a notch.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:20 AM
  #64
Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,946
vCash: 500
just found out what the problem is.....Cam Atkinson

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:40 AM
  #65
CincyHatTrick
Registered User
 
CincyHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cincy
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CincyHatTrick
man, we are firing off the nukes a little early on this season aren't we?

i mean, obviously, not the type of start you ANY fans expect from their team. but trading? stepping down? bringing hitch back? it's been 4 games.

maybe its b/c i'm used to cheering for bad teams that my expectations are low, but i just think we all need to take a moment and take a breath.

boston fans much have it worse than us, they are 1-3, but i guess they can just stare at the cup to forget their record

CincyHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:49 AM
  #66
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,457
vCash: 500
Remember Cincy, it's not always if you lose. It's also how you lose. If we were 1-3 and only given up 7 goals, odds are good that the team would have looked different.

Slumps are one thing. Structural problems are another. Luckily we looked much better in that department last night.

Last on the PP with a 73% PK... That's very ugly. We aren't in the top 15 in any of the major team statistical area's. Very concerning as that's how we finished up last year. Early or not, there has to be some sign that things have changed before we can relax.


Last edited by blahblah: 10-13-2011 at 09:56 AM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:05 AM
  #67
CincyHatTrick
Registered User
 
CincyHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cincy
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CincyHatTrick
^^^^^ you will get no argument from me on the losing badly versus losing fighting all the way.

i just am trying to keep in mind: 4 games. just 4 so far. so having most of these options seems a little rash to me. but that's all i was saying

but your points are valid, no doubt

CincyHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:09 AM
  #68
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,457
vCash: 500
Not sure how long you've been around here, but over reacting is common place around here. It's annoying.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:18 AM
  #69
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 14,706
vCash: 500
Aportzline Aaron Portzline
No Carter, no Brassard @ morning skate.

read into that as you will...obv Carter is out due to his flu...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:06 AM
  #70
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D
 
untouchable21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Outer Limits.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,873
vCash: 500
Hey guys,

A friend of mine is a FLAMES fan and he seems to think it's time for the Flames to tear it down and start over. I think he's right, but it probably should have been done a year or two ago

He suggested Kipprusoff and a veteran Defenseman such as Sarich could be good for a team like Columbus. Problem being they would both have to waive their NTC.

Any interest from your fan base on a deal revolving around Mason and Brassard/Vermette for Kipper, Sarich a 2nd?

FWIW, I think it's still too early for the Blue Jackets to panic. Columbus is on the upswing. Although Kipprusoff could be the calming influence the Blue Jackets need at the moment.

As for his FLAMES, they are going nowhere and have almost zero young talent in the system.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:49 AM
  #71
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,240
vCash: 500
Its simple: Jump in the DeLorean with Doc Brown and Einstein back to the start of Free Agency and be agressive in going after one of the number of goaltenders that had several years NHL experience and even some that had several years of starting experience that ended up going on the cheap.

We now seem to have a situation that doesn't warrant a ton of confidence in Mason's backups right out the gate while Mason just can't quite put it all together yet.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:53 AM
  #72
jacketsinDC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Hey guys,

A friend of mine is a FLAMES fan and he seems to think it's time for the Flames to tear it down and start over. I think he's right, but it probably should have been done a year or two ago

He suggested Kipprusoff and a veteran Defenseman such as Sarich could be good for a team like Columbus. Problem being they would both have to waive their NTC.

Any interest from your fan base on a deal revolving around Mason and Brassard/Vermette for Kipper, Sarich a 2nd?

FWIW, I think it's still too early for the Blue Jackets to panic. Columbus is on the upswing. Although Kipprusoff could be the calming influence the Blue Jackets need at the moment.

As for his FLAMES, they are going nowhere and have almost zero young talent in the system.
i would think we would have to get rid of some salary to balance it out, rather than getting a 2nd. kipprusoff and sarich are around 9mil, mason and brassard are 6 mil. we aren't too far from the cap. pahlsson could be an option if they decide to give johansen one of the center spots this year, and use vermette as a shutdown center. it also might help shake up the 2nd line.

jacketsinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:36 PM
  #73
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,670
vCash: 500
I am not especially a fan of Mason (and had he been within reach after his pathetic showing in the shootout, my wife might have had to beg for bail money to get me out), but last night's loss is not all on him. The tying goal, like many others so far, was a result of too much traffic in his crease. This defense can't move anyone. If I have any question to pose to Arniel, it is regarding the pairing of Clitsome and Russell, two small, weak defensemen. Russell couldn't clear one of the Olsen twins from the crease and gets rag dolled whenever he gets near the puck, not to mention his complete inability to hit an outlet pass cleanly. Clutter is just not strong enough to clean up Russ' mess. Why pair them?

The single shot on goal in the third is a bit deceptive, in my opinion. It's not that they didn't get chances, they either flubbed the pass or missed the net with the shot. As was mentioned, Johansen had a golden opportunity to cash in his first tally, but either fanned on it or had the pass ticked on it's way to him. RJ, Carter, Atkinson, and Vermette all had chances that resulted in nothing good.

All in all, I wish I had left at the 19 minute mark of the third!

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:42 PM
  #74
ZenBaja
Registered User
 
ZenBaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 429
vCash: 500
you need to add demote cam atkinson on that poll!

ZenBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:01 PM
  #75
Socks
HeadFake
 
Socks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Maybe because he plays good better than our the second line players... if it is not enough I do not know.
When has Max proven that? RJ is a proven guy, as is Vermy. I'm not saying anything against Max, I like the guy a lot. And I'm not opposed to trying him over one of the other guys, because right now they're struggling and something needs to be done. But to say that he is better right here right now is false.

And seriously people, Mase is not the issue right now.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.