HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Is Doug Weight really of interest to the Flyers?

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2004, 01:59 PM
guitaraholic*

vCash: 500
Is Doug Weight really of interest to the Flyers?

I understand that reading the murky water that is Bobby Clarke's brain (I can say this, he was one of my favorite players when I was a kid...) is a tricky and often unfruitful endevour considering his penchant for saying one thing and doing another but does anyone really see him as being interested in Doug Weight? How many bloated contracts can one team handle? (not a shot at the Flyers, they're an excellent team, but they have some large contracts. Are they in a position to bring on another?)

thanks in advance.

Old
08-20-2004, 02:09 PM
donelikedinner

i would highly doubt it as i don't think weight would do well under hitch. also, the flyers have good team chemistry with the core they have and the new guys are not expected to be all-stars. plus the $ weight would want doesn't fit with the money they gave to primeau who's contract should be the measuring stick for the rest of the team.

Old
08-20-2004, 02:10 PM
blah

If Zhamnov doesn't resign and the Flyers-Blues can get the money to work I'm sure the Flyers would be interested.

Old
08-20-2004, 03:08 PM
mercury

I agree with blah. If Zhamnov does not return, I could easily see the Flyers going after Weight to replace him as a playmaking 1st/2nd line center. However, I actually believe Clarke when he says that he does not plan on making any more moves until after Sep. 15, and maybe later. If Zhamnov does return, I would expect the Flyers would be going after a 1st or 2nd line scoring winger.

Old
08-20-2004, 03:11 PM
epa80

Send a message via AIM to epa80 Send a message via Yahoo to epa80
Is this speculation or was it actually noted in an article or something? Not sure what I missed out on.

If Zhamnov is a no go and Weight's contract is either reworked ir torn up totally, I could see Clarke taking a shot.

Old
08-20-2004, 03:16 PM
mercury

This is a rumor posted by someone on here, although it is supposedly from the same source that had info on the Malakhov trade this past year, and a few other things. Take it for what it's worth. I still believe that Clarke will be pursuing Zhamnov, but he will not overpay for him. Weight may be an intriguing alternative if it doesn't happen.

Old
08-20-2004, 03:55 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner
i would highly doubt it as i don't think weight would do well under hitch. also, the flyers have good team chemistry with the core they have and the new guys are not expected to be all-stars. plus the $ weight would want doesn't fit with the money they gave to primeau who's contract should be the measuring stick for the rest of the team.
I think an Injury free Doug Weight would do quite well under Hitch if he played like he did in Edmonton. I dont know why that level of play has eluded him for the most part in STL. I think he would be an upgrade over Zhamnov or at least an equal without question.

Old
08-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I think an Injury free Doug Weight would do quite well under Hitch if he played like he did in Edmonton. I dont know why that level of play has eluded him for the most part in STL. I think he would be an upgrade over Zhamnov or at least an equal without question.
I agree, although I should say that they are very similar crafty players.
What we need is a pure goal scorer, like Palffy at a reasonable price.
I'm a little tired of this "is he a HItch player" talk... who cares, goals win games.
We can afford to have one player playing offence first!

Old
08-20-2004, 04:42 PM
John Flyers Fan

Flyers could use Weight's playmaking abilities, but there is no way for the Flyers to take on another big salary for this season.

Old
08-21-2004, 04:52 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
I'm a little tired of this "is he a HItch player" talk... who cares, goals win games.
Yes, I don't buy this line of reasoning all that often. Anybody can learn to play the defensive game, plus scoring is good.

Rather than not being a "Hitchcock" type player, for some reason I don't see him as a typical "Bobby Clarke" type player. Then again, as much as I liked Zhamnov prior to his coming here, I never saw him as a "Clarke" type player either and I was wrong.

Old
08-21-2004, 08:21 AM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
Theres no way that we take his contract unless a big contract is given back. I would rather we not get him and so we can put either Carter or Richards in the line up at center.

Old
08-21-2004, 08:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Flyers could use Weight's playmaking abilities, but there is no way for the Flyers to take on another big salary for this season.

....unless John LeClair is part of the trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
We can afford to have one player playing offence first!
We can't afford him if he's not playing defense because Hitchcock will have him on the bench.

Last edited by GKJ: 08-21-2004 at 08:44 AM.
Old
08-21-2004, 08:56 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
Yes, I don't buy this line of reasoning all that often. Anybody can learn to play the defensive game, plus scoring is good.
Brett Hull anyone. Shoot, if he can play under Hitch, anyone can.

Old
08-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Law Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Brett Hull anyone. Shoot, if he can play under Hitch, anyone can.
Certainly, Hitchcock is a good coach and he can mold his players to suit his system. My biggest problem with the notion of Weight going to Philly is his ridiculous $7 Mil contract. I thought BC was supposed to be trimming the edges of the budget and not throwing another huge salary on top. There is no way that I can see Zhamnov making anywhere near that anywhere. So if BC is honestly thinking of adding Weight's contract to the pile, he should stop and sign Zhamnov for far less. The only way Weight's deal makes sense is if you send back a big contract, and the Blues are also in the business of shedding some payroll thanks to Prongers $10 mil deal .....

Old
08-22-2004, 08:18 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
If Zhamnov doesn't resign and the Flyers-Blues can get the money to work I'm sure the Flyers would be interested.
how about if roenick is traded then they cant sign zhamnov, then yes they will be very interested in doug weight

Old
08-22-2004, 09:34 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg
Certainly, Hitchcock is a good coach and he can mold his players to suit his system. My biggest problem with the notion of Weight going to Philly is his ridiculous $7 Mil contract. I thought BC was supposed to be trimming the edges of the budget and not throwing another huge salary on top. There is no way that I can see Zhamnov making anywhere near that anywhere. So if BC is honestly thinking of adding Weight's contract to the pile, he should stop and sign Zhamnov for far less. The only way Weight's deal makes sense is if you send back a big contract, and the Blues are also in the business of shedding some payroll thanks to Prongers $10 mil deal .....

First off, Pronger's contract has NOTHING to do with our payroll scalebacks. He was ALREADY making 9.5 mil before we signed him to that contract. All that happened there was that Pronger accepted his QO. People are makiing FAR too much out of the number Pronger is going to get. The reason we are scaling back our payroll is because Laurie is tired of losing 30-40 mil a year for a First round exit. We can get those results with a FAR lower salary as Nashville proved this year.

Secondly, the Blues apparently have a little money to spend on a FA winger or two so we could concieveably add one of your big-money forwards. Personally, I don't think our teams are a good match for a trade as we both need essentially the same thing: young, cheap forwards who can replace the older, much more expensive ones we currently have.

Old
08-22-2004, 09:45 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
The Flyers would take Zhamnov over Weight right now and they have Handzus for 2nd line center so there wouldn't be that much of a need for Weight.

Even if the Flyers can't resign Zhamnov, why trade for Weight and his 7M when you can just sign Demitra for a million cheaper and you wouldn't have to give up any assets? I don't see anything with Weight going down.

Old
08-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Hesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
The Flyers would take Zhamnov over Weight right now and they have Handzus for 2nd line center so there wouldn't be that much of a need for Weight.

Even if the Flyers can't resign Zhamnov, why trade for Weight and his 7M when you can just sign Demitra for a million cheaper and you wouldn't have to give up any assets? I don't see anything with Weight going down.
Exactly, ITA with this. Why try and get Weight when you can sign Demitra without giving away anything. Also Demitra could play both centre and wing. IMO, Demitra is exactly the kind of player the Flyers need. I also think BC is going take a long look at him if he can't resing Zhamnov.

Old
08-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Russian_fanatic

I don't see where he would fit behind Roenick, Primeau, and Hanzus.

Old
08-22-2004, 10:02 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
if the flyers sign any kind of top line C, JR will be playing RW.

Old
08-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Hesky

Quote:
I was thinking:

Knuble - Demitra - Roenick

or maybe:

Knuble - Roenick - Demitra

I might be biased, but IMO Demitra >> Zhamnov.

Old
08-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky
I was thinking:

Knuble - Demitra - Roenick

or maybe:

Knuble - Roenick - Demitra

I might be biased, but IMO Demitra >> Zhamnov.
That's not being bias that's the truth!

Old
08-23-2004, 11:14 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
That's not being bias that's the truth!
Zhamnov 18 points in 20 reg season games with the Flyers. 14 points in 18 playoff games. He has been a good fit with the Flyers and it's hard to say whether Demitra will also be a good fit although he and Handzus have great chemistry.

Old
08-23-2004, 11:41 AM
User571

Send a message via AIM to User571
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersProspect2
Theres no way that we take his contract unless a big contract is given back. I would rather we not get him and so we can put either Carter or Richards in the line up at center.
If we get Weight, Clarke will probobly give up both of those guys and throw in 1st round pciks too. Because you know, you cant get anyone good with a first rounder. Its not like they could have gotten Schremp with that 25th pick right? ANd plus, even if we could have gotten Schremp, we still have a 3rd liner, a washed up back-up goalie who doesnt even want to play here and a mediocre prospct to make up for it.

Old
08-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh

I would be concerned w/ how Demitra would play in the Eastern Conference. Don't know much success he would have, however, Handzuz would be a great linemate for him.

But i do agree that either the Blues would have to eat part of his contract to make him attractive in comparison to the other players available or take a contract back. I dont think a contract for contract trade would benefit either team.

Closed Thread