HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #3: St. Louis Blues at Dallas Stars

Old
10-14-2011, 12:50 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Whats with this team? So far every game we look like **** until the third period. We need to bring that intensity the whole game. Yea terrible call on McDonald at the end, i mean worst call ive seen in a long time, but we cant blame this game on the refs(not saying anyone has). To me right now the problem is either one of two things, poor coaching or poor goaltending. I mean Halak needs to better, but at the same time it looks like a completely different team after the 2nd period, where is that intensity the first 2/3 of the game? I know its early so Im not panicking but come on guys, lets pull it together. Thats two losses that should have been wins.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Oshie97

vCash: 500
Halak needs to get his **** together. 2 of those goals should not have went in. Blues looked slow with no intensity for the first half of the game. Gotta have the energy like the 3rd period for the whole game.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:29 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Its not all on Halak, but he also hasn't looked sharp. You'd like to see him stop that breakaway....or not let in that weak 3rd goal (or make the save on that 2nd goal). With a little better play from him the Blues win this one despite a sub-par game overall.

Berglund was invisible for long stretches in the first half of the game, likewise Stewart.

I'm not a fan of Stewart choosing to take a matching fighting major at a moment when his team in on the PP, has the puck in the zone for an extended period of time and is facing a tired PK. Better to just file that one away for later and finish the play.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:55 AM
kittensmasher
moe.ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I'm not a fan of Stewart choosing to take a matching fighting major at a moment when his team in on the PP, has the puck in the zone for an extended period of time and is facing a tired PK. Better to just file that one away for later and finish the play.
I was thinking the same thing when it happened. The replay actually showed him yapping/exchanging shoves with Souray for a good 6-7 seconds before they tussled, all while the Blues were moving the puck and the play was still alive. Stewart's got to be smarter than that.

kittensmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

I don't disagree that Stewart has to be smarter, but at the same point...neither player looked like they were thinking fight. It all played out so quickly that not fighting would have been both a sissy move and probably avoiding the fight would have put him at risk for injury, since Souray was going to go no matter what.

On the Halak front, if this guy is going to be our starter or a starter in the NHL at all, he needs to work on staying higher in the crease, not giving up juicy rebounds and working on his glove hand quickness. His mental game right now is not sharp as well. We need the coaches to get on him about his attitude/demeanor as well. Goalies should try to remain positive and calm, but I want to see more emotion out of Halak. IMO it would be a good thing for him. Having a pulse is better than flatlining. Also in his post game interviews after losses, he often deflect the blame on things that are his fault or just casually says we needed to be better. Lets see some more effort, passion and acknowledgment of his own poor play when it occurs.

...All that said, he still has time and the tools to be a very solid keeper.

Last edited by Celtic Note: 10-14-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:47 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

back to the half-assed GDT?

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Sounds good to me

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:37 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittensmasher View Post
I was thinking the same thing when it happened. The replay actually showed him yapping/exchanging shoves with Souray for a good 6-7 seconds before they tussled, all while the Blues were moving the puck and the play was still alive. Stewart's got to be smarter than that.
I didn't mention this, but I think the game was poorly officiated. That should have been a crosscheck penalty on Souray in the first place. It wasn't just clearing him out, it looked like the intent was to hurt Stewart. I don't blame the loss on the refs, and the Blues had their chances on the PP, but the calls were inconsistent...and especially at the end of the game when they should have called things less tightly.

I still don't think that excuses Stewart, but I am glad of a guy that's not afraid to get into it with anyone.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Sounds good to me
Second that.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:47 AM
execwrite

Hey, we got off to a great start last year and that didn't mean anything.

Could be 3-0 right now if Halak makes a couple of stops and a few of our goal post shots go in.

Seems like all the pieces are here, just have to put the whole puzzle together.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:17 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

I was pumped to hear that the blues made the Trade for Halak but right now he is not looking sharp at all. From the Habs games that I've seen, he was always so good down low, and always seemed to have the lower half of the net on lock down. Now it seems like pucks are just finding ways through him, like the 3rd goal. I'm hoping he can turn it around, but I'm starting to lose faith...

HANDZ 57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

vCash: 499
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Halak has been as advertised, I don't understand why everyone's forgetting this. He's always struggled in games with low shot counts, even when he was with the habs. All he needs something to click and he'll be fine. I have no doubts that it will come. I'd also like to remind everyone that it's been only 3 games.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:59 AM
kittensmasher
moe.ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I didn't mention this, but I think the game was poorly officiated. That should have been a crosscheck penalty on Souray in the first place. It wasn't just clearing him out, it looked like the intent was to hurt Stewart. I don't blame the loss on the refs, and the Blues had their chances on the PP, but the calls were inconsistent...and especially at the end of the game when they should have called things less tightly.

I still don't think that excuses Stewart, but I am glad of a guy that's not afraid to get into it with anyone.
Oh I agree, Souray was taking liberties and there should have been an initial call. I've got no problem with Stewart standing up for himself, I just didn't like seeing him turn his back on the play multiple times to engage Souray.

All in all a tough loss to swallow, especially with how the Blues did a complete 180 in the third and came up just short. Will be interesting to see how the team responds Saturday night; hopefully Payne has a few words for them and they come out flying.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:48 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
no, I appreciate the full GDT's. They aren't going to fix Halak's rebound control.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:42 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
no, I appreciate the full GDT's. They aren't going to fix Halak's rebound control.
Heh.

Although, to be fair, Halak's rebound control was the best part of his game last night. None of the goals were off rebounds, nor can I remember any really good scoring chances that were the result of a bad rebound.

He still needs to be a bit more aggressive on his angles, and he needs to get better at taking away the bottom of the net (which should be his bread and butter), but I think he's taking steps in the right direction based on what I saw last night.

I still think he'll be fine this year.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

People, it's been three games. He won one of them, the first loss against Nashville can be argued that none of the goals were "his fault", and this one I didn't see. But you need to give the guy some time. Wait until 15-20 games of so called bad play before you send Halak to the gallows.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Heh.

Although, to be fair, Halak's rebound control was the best part of his game last night. None of the goals were off rebounds, nor can I remember any really good scoring chances that were the result of a bad rebound.

He still needs to be a bit more aggressive on his angles, and he needs to get better at taking away the bottom of the net (which should be his bread and butter), but I think he's taking steps in the right direction based on what I saw last night.

I still think he'll be fine this year.
His rebound control was still poor. It just wasn't exploited.

I really hate that Halak makes the D turn away from a view that allows them to see the whole ice to a point where they have to make blind passes or get their pocket picked/bell rung. Cover the puck and they can protect you, let up fat rebound and they are put at risk.

When he was in Montreal he was directing the rebounds to areas that allowed for a smooth and quick transition, whereas here they are either siting perfectly in front of the net for a sniper or put to an area that exposes the team to unneeded pressure.

Even when he isn't facing a shot he looks out of position and lethargic.

Yes its only three games, but I still feel that critique is more than justified and fair.

No I haven't given up on him, but we need to see more from our starter...period.

If his issue (low shot games) is mental then he needs to go see a sports psychologist. He has exuded this characteristic even during his good stretches, so I would wager its an ongoing struggle regardless of his on ice success or failure.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:32 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I don't see anyone overreacting, but the facts are that he's not playing up to his standard (Halak). I fully expect him to play into form in the next few games....but the analysis is correct. The Dallas game was his worst to date this season, in terms of the soft goals you'd like to see him stop.

Old
10-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Mike Liut

could be 3-0 very easily. Out played all 3 teams.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Louie the Blue
Because it's a trap

I am a bit concerned about Halak, but I don't think there is anything to worry about yet.

Though, I will be sad if AMac does indeed have a concussion.

Louie the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 04:46 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzz View Post
People, it's been three games. He won one of them, the first loss against Nashville can be argued that none of the goals were "his fault", and this one I didn't see. But you need to give the guy some time. Wait until 15-20 games of so called bad play before you send Halak to the gallows.
Ummm - don't think we can give away the first quarter of the season and make the playoffs.

If Elliott gives up one or no goals in his game this weekend, he could get some extra starts.

Old
10-14-2011, 04:51 PM
execwrite

From the AP game story -

Lehtonen made 36 saves, Loui Eriksson scored short-handed, and the Stars hung on to beat the St. Louis Blues 3-2 on Thursday night. The crowd was announced at 7,949, but there were only about half that many in the seats.

Read more: http://www.bnd.com/2011/10/14/190005...#ixzz1an7zQkN1

Wow - Rangers baseball had something to do with that, but still ...

Old
10-14-2011, 06:02 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
From the AP game story -

Lehtonen made 36 saves, Loui Eriksson scored short-handed, and the Stars hung on to beat the St. Louis Blues 3-2 on Thursday night. The crowd was announced at 7,949, but there were only about half that many in the seats.

Read more: http://www.bnd.com/2011/10/14/190005...#ixzz1an7zQkN1

Wow - Rangers baseball had something to do with that, but still ...
Yeah that's pathetic. Even with a Cards game, we would still have 15,000+

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:58 PM
kittensmasher
moe.ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Yeah that's pathetic. Even with a Cards game, we would still have 15,000+
Yeah, but we've been there. Think back to 05-06 and 06-07. You could buy a $20 upper-bowl ticket 10 minutes before the game and be sitting basically anywhere you pleased by the second period. It was the one positive in those dark times. Hopefully things pick up in Dallas (just not at the cost of a Blues' playoff spot ).

Old
10-15-2011, 12:02 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittensmasher View Post
Yeah, but we've been there. Think back to 05-06 and 06-07. You could buy a $20 upper-bowl ticket 10 minutes before the game and be sitting basically anywhere you pleased by the second period. It was the one positive in those dark times. Hopefully things pick up in Dallas (just not at the cost of a Blues' playoff spot ).
Yeah, I was one of those up there. The great thing about those games were all the season ticket holders got really close and up high we could lounge out and take up multiple seats, have a coat chair, put our feet up, there were some positives. Gotta love those $8 season tickets and the first year when it was Scottrade, $7 season tickets.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote