HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lowe, Nedved, the CBA, and building from within.

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2004, 04:45 AM
Lowball
Re-rebuilding...

vCash: 500
Lowe, Nedved, the CBA, and building from within.

Kevin Lowe is doing the best he can with a limited budget, although his occasional antics are frustrating we all know the bottom line - the Oilers are a small market team on a limited budget. He is not the only one in the organization holding the purse strings.

Nedved was worth signing at 10 million over three years, but only while working with Dvorak. Perhaps Lowe will ship the unsigned Dvorak off to the Desert Dogs as well to boost his value. Without his former countryman on his right side expect him to produce around 50 points (close to his average over the past 5 seasons). If he would have stuck around, assuming Dvorak gets a contract, I truly beleived he would have had a 70 point plus season. Good luck trying to fill them skates at less than 3 million in this market.

Mike York is the #1 Center. Why is this questioned? Before he was injured last season, he was kicking butt. He had 42 points in 62 games with the majority coming before his injury. Most of the centers whose names are being thrown around as potential trades to fill this already filled position don't even compare to his talent or character. I predict he gets 65 points minimum in a full season this year - a bargain at 2M.

The oilers have a lot of potential with prospects in their system. You can check them out at the following address:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=3796

I am really looking forward to seeing guys like Kyle Brodziak, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Joe Cullen, Kalle Olsson, among many other centermen competing for the last 1 or 2 center positions in training camp. I am convinced that at least one of them will turn into a star. My favourite to crack the line up is Kyle Brodziak at 6'2" 200lb and had one heck of a fourth season (70GP 39G 54A 93P) for the Moose Jaw Warriors last season - at 20 years old, hopefully he will be ready, as many great players have come straight up from the WHL.

The Oilers key to success is building around a small core and adding young talented players around them. It may take four years to contend, if all the right decisions are made. A few small trades may be required to complement certain players. My pick for the core is Smyth, York, Torres, Stoll, Bergeron, Brewer, and Conklin. There are a lot of talented players on the Oilers, but beyond the core they should all be on the trading block for improving the team, as well as battling for their position in training camp. Other teams are using the Oilers as a farm team and this must not continue if the Oilers are ever going to be successful again. Only a new CBA beneficial for the NHL owners will deter the situation.

Without a new CBA favoring the NHL owners, the Oilers may be history within a couple of years. Unfortunately we here in Alberta can only support one team in a free market. Edmonton or Calgary take your pick. I'm a hard core Oiler fan living in Calgary. What do you all think of joining forces and having one new team located in Red Deer? With a high speed transit from Edmonton-Red Deer-Calgary so most Albertans could get to see the games. With one team we could have a thriving competetive hockey club guaranteed.

This is my first posting on this forum.

I look forward to your responses.

Last edited by Lowball: 08-28-2004 at 04:52 AM.
Old
08-28-2004, 05:00 AM
Jamie

Welcome to the boards. Very nice first post
As far as your Red Deer team idea, I don't think that would work for mulitple reasons.

On your comments about York, I totally agree. I think he's a great player, quite capable of playing the first line. Problem IMO, is the 2nd line.

The core to build around, I mostly agree, except I wouldn't call Bergeron or Stoll core players, but I guess who everyone picks is almost down to personal preferance. I like both those players, but I can't see either as franchise players, but rather just role players. I'd say the core to build around is Brewer, Smyth, York, Hemsky, Torres, Semenov, Moreau.

I hope there's some good showing in camps, especially by some rookies(Brodziak, Pouliet etc) as it would open up more trade avenues for Lowe. If Brodziak absolutely proves he's an asset to the Oilers, than someone like Horcoff for example becomes a lot more expendable.

Looking forward to seeing more posts from you. New faces are always welcome.

Old
08-28-2004, 05:08 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Very well written and well expressed first contribution to the HF community for CANADAKIX... good job.

I always wonder where new members heard, read or found out about the site (I guess in part wanting to know if all the radio stuff over the last year has helped at all).

Whatever the reason, good to have you on board, hope we see more of this kind of stuff from you too.

My one concern with York is actually what you pointed out. He's great and then he gets hurt. And He gets hurt every year, that's the problem with smaller guys who don't have any fear. We love those kind of guys but there's a price, fans shouldn't expect guys like York to play 82 games a year because it rarely happens.

The worst part is that the current roster is unforgiving down the middle if injuries do occur... and they will.

Old
08-28-2004, 05:22 AM
Lowball
Re-rebuilding...

Go Oilers Go!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Closed Thread