HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

10/13/11 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ NY Islanders

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2011, 05:31 AM
Benders Lindyhop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSE View Post
Dont mind him guys

Question though...

Just wondering how Hedman has been in all of this mess so far?
Up until last night I was ready to start handing out franchise defensemen labels. As bad as the team was in Boston and Washington (and part of the game in Carolina) Victor was very good. Cool and poised under pressure.

After last night I think I may have jumped the gun a bit.

Something bad happened to him last night, I think he started off bad with that horrible own goal and just totally lost his composure. Too many minutes for him, not that there was any other option.

Old
10-14-2011, 06:52 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Up until last night I was ready to start handing out franchise defensemen labels. As bad as the team was in Boston and Washington (and part of the game in Carolina) Victor was very good. Cool and poised under pressure.

After last night I think I may have jumped the gun a bit.

Something bad happened to him last night, I think he started off bad with that horrible own goal and just totally lost his composure. Too many minutes for him, not that there was any other option.
Eh he had a ****** game, no one can play at there peak constantly. Even Gretzky and Bobby Orr had a game or two that was complete ****. It was just one of those days for him.

Old
10-14-2011, 07:15 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Eh he had a ****** game, no one can play at there peak constantly. Even Gretzky and Bobby Orr had a game or two that was complete ****. It was just one of those days for him.
Would have been nice had the entire team not decided to have their **** game at the same time.

And I get that bad games happen. Certainly I'm not ready to panic and write him off. I do think he's got franchise defenseman written all over him. I'm just a little bit concerned that maybe too much is being asked of him too fast. That many minutes and that level of responsibility is a lot to ask of any Dman, let alone a 20 yo. And I also understand that there is absolutely no choice. The thought of any of our other D being put into that position is enough to give me cold chills.

Old
10-14-2011, 07:50 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Our strength last season was to bounce back from bad games, I think that was one of our major positive changes, I just pray that will remain the same this season.

10-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Funny to read the posts on TSN's website from the Isles fans....They act like they took down Goliath and played playoff type hockey....if they only knew how freaking horrible we played.
You were reading TSN? May I ask why?

Only time I read that trash is if I happen to click on a Scott Cullen power rankings link because I'm in need of a giggle or two.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Honestly, if these guys don't start playing like they give a damn. I will expect a big move to happen, nothing to wake guys up than to trade away a core player. I'm not saying Stammers, Marty or Vinny will go. Malone, Downie, Purcell and below I wouldn't be shocked. If this results continue, then I will be all for it.

Bolts prospects brought up a damn good point. What is the point of having Tyler Johnson and Carter Ashton bust there ass every night for cheap, when the players on the Lightning roster play like they don't give a damn....Something has to give.
We're four games into the season, relax...

Nothing drastic will happen this early on in the season and last night was just a really bad game on our part, it happens. Ashton will get his chance with the club this year, not sure about Johnson though. I, like most others, would like to see Y eventually trade for an upgrade on our defence. A mobile, second pairing guy to play with Kubina would go a long way.

Old
10-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Rschmitz

we've looked really bad to start the season, but I think some of you are worrying a little too much.

Old
10-14-2011, 01:53 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
You were reading TSN? May I ask why?

Only time I read that trash is if I happen to click on a Scott Cullen power rankings link because I'm in need of a giggle or two.
Usually they are pretty up to date on the transactions. Other than that it's just a bunch of Leafs, Habs and Canucks fans *****ing at each other. I'm still banned for life from posting.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:25 PM
tightightight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
We're four games into the season, relax...

Nothing drastic will happen this early on in the season and last night was just a really bad game on our part, it happens. Ashton will get his chance with the club this year, not sure about Johnson though. I, like most others, would like to see Y eventually trade for an upgrade on our defence. A mobile, second pairing guy to play with Kubina would go a long way.
Yeah four games that we've looked like utter ****. I hate to be a pessimist but they look like they have no idea what they are doing out there. They look lost and confuse and like they are a whole new team or something. Yeah its early but every game they started out slow and it cost them. You would think they would come out strong after every poor performance but somethings gotta change some shake up or something. The only positive from the team is that our PK has done a terrific job so far.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

When the 1-3-1 wasn't working, even late last season, he'd change it to the 1-2-2.

I haven't clearly seen 1-2-2 yet this year, and Boucher may be holding off on it, knowing from last year that they can do 1-3-1, but remember the mantra:

**** last year.

1-2-2 is supposed to drive the opponents towards the boards, where they can then be ground down. Having to do some hitting might stop some of the Lightning's 'cuteness' in itself.

I think that's pretty much what happened last year, IIRC. (*ly, yeah I know) Boucher was trying to get everybody to play 1-3-1 effectively, he put them on 1-2-2, because we don't have time for this development ********, and then back to 1-3-1 and things went epic.

At any rate, they're getting caught too far up the ice too often and it's cost them.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-14-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old
10-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contender View Post
Yeah four games that we've looked like utter ****. I hate to be a pessimist but they look like they have no idea what they are doing out there. They look lost and confuse and like they are a whole new team or something. Yeah its early but every game they started out slow and it cost them. You would think they would come out strong after every poor performance but somethings gotta change some shake up or something. The only positive from the team is that our PK has done a terrific job so far.
I think it's positive when you've also won a game as well, not to mention we looked good against Carolina (a season opener). Also, Moore and Thompson have looked good in every game thus far. Hedman and Brewer war also playing great until last night.

Boston will always be a team that we will struggle with due to the contrast in styles of play with their toughness/grit wearing us down. The Capitals game was a poor performance by both teams, and we were completely out of sync vs. the Islanders. Let's see what happens beyond 4 games at the start of the season before we start talking about needing a team makeover...

Last edited by Tampa Bay Trio: 10-14-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old
10-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Teddy is NOT intense:

Quote:
erlendssontrib Erik Erlendsson
Coach's decision, said he needs to bring battle and compete level up RT @DwizzleOnIce what happened to Purcell last night? Injured?
Quote:
LightningTimes Damian Cristodero
Boucher wants more grit and speed, could be lineup changes tomm (jones and pyatt in, maybe purcell out?)
This seems to be a recurring problem. When he's motivated (see ECF) and into the game he's a game-changer.

Old
10-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Teddy is NOT intense:

This seems to be a recurring problem. When he's motivated (see ECF) and into the game he's a game-changer.
Teddy shouldn't trust Islander games. There was that time that he agreed with Dinger(?) that playing the Islanders (whilst simultaneously getting our lazy ***** kicked) was a playoff type atmosphere and apparently got banished from intermission interviews for a while.

Islanders are his kryptonite. Like Vanek is to Ohlund, or any amount of pressure is to Smitty.

Was there like a GM meeting in 1993 where Espo was fighting the inclusion of the Panthers, and everyone else passed a resolution saying they wouldn't lose to the Islanders basically ever again?

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-14-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old
10-14-2011, 05:51 PM
daboltz
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Would have been nice had the entire team not decided to have their **** game at the same time.
So there is some sort of chance that we ALL got it out of OUR system last night? Now that's a good thought that will be confirmed (or not) tomorrow night. Hope they can muster the ability to play like we know they can and head back into the Thunderdome.... errrr, I mean the renovated Forum, on a good note.

Closed Thread