HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Home Opener!! Nashville Predators v Phoenix Coyotes: 7pm CDT

Old
10-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Where was our $7.5 million Captain tonight???
Agreed. He looks like a guy who doesn't really care. It almost looked like Arnott out there save for a few good plays in the defensive zone and at the blue line.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Reviled
Partisan

After sitting there for the whole game I just can't think of one Preds play or player worth praising.

Not the end of the world, but not remotely encouraging either.

Our inexperience was screamingly obvious. The silver lining is it's only game 3 and the first loss, yet clearly the pressure is off to take the Central this year.

LOTS of work to be done, post haste. First up is air out the building and remove the stink before Saturday's game.

P.S. Didn't look like a sellout to me and attendance wasn't announced, but NHL.com reports 17,117.

Last edited by Reviled: 10-13-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Some will say I'm overstating this, but that was one of the five worst games I've seen us play in the post-lockout era. Callahan and Grimson were trying to take positives away, talking about how they liked their "jump" in the third, but at no point in the game was there "jump." they lost every puck battle, applied zero pressure on the puck in any zone, and repeatedly made brutal pass/turnover after brutal turnover.

The downside to how well the WLS line has played is that Smith and Wilson are both so defensively bankrupt that we lose a lot of Legwand's value as a defensive forward. The silver lining in that is that Legwand is leading the league in points in only three games played, so I guess there's that.

I fought the temptation to leave after the second period. That's kind of a crummy way to feel at a home opener.

Finally...I'll be shocked if we see Bergfors again.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:23 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Agreed. He looks like a guy who doesn't really care. It almost looked like Arnott out there save for a few good plays in the defensive zone and at the blue line.
I wondered if that was just me feeling that way. Last season, #6 was all smiles during warm-ups, and looked like he was "just one of the boys". There was hustle, and he appeared to be on a mission for the team with every hit and shot. I know it's only 3 games into this season, but this #6 just seems to be taking the ice and going through the motions of showcasing his own talents; turning his intensity off and on when he's only feeling like it. Hope to be very, very, EXTREMELY wrong in this assesment, and again I know we're just 3 games into a season. It's just SOMETHING I'm reading into the body language and facial expressions of THE FACE of THE FRANCHISE.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
I wondered if that was just me feeling that way. Last season, #6 was all smiles during warm-ups, and looked like he was "just one of the boys". There was hustle, and he appeared to be on a mission for the team with every hit and shot. I know it's only 3 games into this season, but this #6 just seems to be taking the ice and going through the motions of showcasing his own talents; turning his intensity off and on when he's only feeling like it. Hope to be very, very, EXTREMELY wrong in this assesment, and again I know we're just 3 games into a season. It's just SOMETHING I'm reading into the body language and facial expressions of THE FACE of THE FRANCHISE.
His body language to me looks like a guy who doesn't have his heart fully invested into the team.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:27 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
You're not the only one. That look is hard to miss.

None of the players looked into it. Even during warm ups dad would randomly tell me, "They don't look right" and he has been watching the game for all of 2 years.

It was damn near tangible.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Some will say I'm overstating this, but that was one of the five worst games I've seen us play in the post-lockout era. Callahan and Grimson were trying to take positives away, talking about how they liked their "jump" in the third, but at no point in the game was there "jump." they lost every puck battle, applied zero pressure on the puck in any zone, and repeatedly made brutal pass/turnover after brutal turnover.

The downside to how well the WLS line has played is that Smith and Wilson are both so defensively bankrupt that we lose a lot of Legwand's value as a defensive forward. The silver lining in that is that Legwand is leading the league in points in only three games played, so I guess there's that.

I fought the temptation to leave after the second period. That's kind of a crummy way to feel at a home opener.

Not sure if you were watching the same game. Wilson had one of the best defensivce games yet. First forward back on all rushes. That line might have had yet one more goal scored if it were not for 33 lifting the stick in front of Pekka. To blame Smith an Wilson and no resposibility to Legwand after this game is not accurate.
Love Legwand, but don't let the points fool you. Twice on the PP he turned over the puck just over the blue line, which if it were 15 or 33 would be grounds for the "doghouse". Some other errant passes as well.
Don't get me wrong, I love Legwand, but you are pointing fingers instead of looking at the "complete" breakdown.
On another note. As bad as your team looked tonight, I really see that Bergfors "sees" the game incredibly well. Hope they continue to dress him, and give him a chance to get comfortable.
Klein and Blum scared the "bleep" out of me tonight.
Halischuk looked good....when he was out there
Geoffrion looks weak, not involved and a bit of a step behind.
Sk looked excited, when put on line with 11 and 33
Pekka can't play GOD every game. He is a great goalie for you guys, but some games he needs a supporting cast.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohniusMaximus View Post
You're not the only one. That look is hard to miss.

None of the players looked into it. Even during warm ups dad would randomly tell me, "They don't look right" and he has been watching the game for all of 2 years.

It was damn near tangible.
I didn't see the game but I caught glimpses of what you're talking about in pre-season. Something is off with him, I'm sure the uncertainty of the next year is weighing heavily on him. Lets all hope that this is something he can get over, but I can understand why it would be distracting.

However, he did seem fine during the last game. Could just be making something out of nothing.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:37 PM
CloakroomCrusader

Sometimes teams just aren't ready to play. It happens, 79 more games to play. If it becomes a trend, obviously that's an issue, but let's see where it goes from here.

CloakroomCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:42 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Guys its one game, quit questioning Webers motivation/leadership. If it is like this midseason then we can worry. Im not worried.

I thought Wilson looked great defensivley tonight to. One of the few if not the only player that played a decent game.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:00 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

bottom line is we are out 3 of our top six forwards....

Hornqvist
Fisher
Erat

I think we'll be ok....

Edit: wilson did look on point tonight. He was working his ass off in every zone.

Also I bet trotz keeps the smith-leggy-wlson line together next game, to start atleast....

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Milly79

Lovin' the gloom and doom here 3 games in.

One bad game doesn't displace a season, honestly. We have plenty to make up for this one.

Wilson being a -3 doesn't really tell the whole story. He looked fantastic tonight I believe. I also cannot blame Rinne for much of anything tonight. He played pretty well (aside from the first goal - maybe, although he still tried).

The defense just wasn't there the entire first period. We looked decent in the 2nd and very well in the 3rd (imo), just didn't bury it when we needed to.

Keep up the pessimistic views, guys. Much needed 3 games in...

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:18 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

All I'll say is that was one of the worst games I've seen the Preds play. Lost every single puck battle and not a damn one of them could pass worth a crap. Sloppy, sloppy. I've been saying this before preseason, send Geoffrion back to Milwaukee for awhile. SK74 & Suter were the only Preds that played above average, imo. However, the positive is that it's only 1 game. Let's take it to the Devils on Saturday! See you all there!

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:30 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Is trotz the kinda guy that will punt a guy off the top line if he errors in a game...or just a one off type thing?
probably an attention getter.... he knew the game was already lost, and took the opportunity to make sure Smith wasnt gonna get cocky just because he had scored a couple goals already

if he responds with a good effort in practice I expect him back on that line saturday, unless Trotz thought Kostitsyn was just better, and it wasnt so much a demotion for smith as a promotion for SK

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:42 AM
WartracePred

Zero forecheck tonight. We won very few battles along the boards. Really missed Horny. I flipped through their lineup and noticed on average Phoenix is a bigger team. Maybe that's why they held possession of the puck for most of the night. Bigger and stronger. It reminded me of the playoff series with San Jose where the Preds were completely dominated by a bigger, more physical team. With Fisher and Hornqvist, this game looks much different.

Oh yeah, Suter is now Shooter. As in Shooter with a shorty tonight!! He has 2 goals already I think.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:48 AM
irisheyes555

i saw a 6-1 pasting at the hands of a bad oilers team a few years back and this game made that look good by comparison. where to start. passing, can anyone not make a blind pass(assuming they were blind and not just...) to nobody. can anyone actually get in the slot so one of these blind passes might actually connect. can anyone hold the puck on their stick. i lost count of the times the puck was simply mishandled with nobody around or go carening off a preds stick with nobody around. can anyone play d 5-5. at least three of there goals were by guys that got lost. hey if you ain't on somebody look around and find your man. can somebody freaking move when you have control of the puck in their zone, PP sucked. how about we go get the puck rather than looking over your shoulder to see if anyone is behind you. again i lost count of the times guys had several steps on the opposition in our zone going after the puck only to have them get out skated and out-battled for the puck.

i can honestly say i wasted my money tonight. i have seen pee-wee teams that played like this. and for the record i too had to fight off the temptation to leave in the 2nd period(and i have never left a game before the end of the 3rd, including the aforementioned 6-1 oil beatdown). this wasn't even AHL quality play. this is something less than jrs. god, the term S U C K doesn't do justice to what i witnessed tonight. we have now been outshot every game and tonight peks didn't pull enough rabbits out of the hat. if this contiunes it will be a very short season, followed by a very bad offseason. our home opener after a playoff run and it was the worst game in my memory(and that goes back to the beginning). this isn't about over-expectations, this is about simple competence on-ice.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:51 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Suter has always had a decent shot. Never gets to display it. I know he said he expects more goals from himself and im pretty happy with his start and sure he is to. Ive always thought he had potential to pot 10-15 goals. He has done, 8, 7, 7 before.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:16 AM
SMantzas

hey guys. are erat, fisher and/or hornquist gonna be back by saturday?

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:33 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

Was he really that bad?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:55 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly79 View Post
Lovin' the gloom and doom here 3 games in.

One bad game doesn't displace a season, honestly. We have plenty to make up for this one.

Wilson being a -3 doesn't really tell the whole story. He looked fantastic tonight I believe. I also cannot blame Rinne for much of anything tonight. He played pretty well (aside from the first goal - maybe, although he still tried).

The defense just wasn't there the entire first period. We looked decent in the 2nd and very well in the 3rd (imo), just didn't bury it when we needed to.

Keep up the pessimistic views, guys. Much needed 3 games in...
It's not just the one game. We're 2-1, but have been outplayed in all three. The only reason we won the first two was Rinne. Trotz said so himself. It's a but concerning that we had all week to work the kinks out from last weekend, and crapped the bed tonight in front of a sell out opening night.

What's worse is that Trotz actually got last change.....these were the match ups he wanted.

The lines are a disaster, seriously, they are
There is no continuity offensively
Klein-Blum looked terrible
Weber-Suter played disinterested.

We had a terrible time getting set up in their zone to even cycle. Blah, I just want to forget about this one and move on. Let's hope Saturday is a different team.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 05:11 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
hey guys. are erat, fisher and/or hornquist gonna be back by saturday?
Fisher no, Erat no updates, Hornqvist maybe. That's all they said on the postgame show.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 05:43 AM
glenngineer

My head hurts from the sky falling on it.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Doesn't feel any better the morning after.

We were the youngest team in the NHL last year, then our vets like Dumont and Sully became rookies like Smith and Ekholm. We looked young tonight. There will be some growing pains, but we'll improve.

The Belak video was awesome, but I think it sucked some intensity out of us.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:08 AM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Was he really that bad?
I don't think he was bad at all. For his first game, when most of the team was OFF, I thought he showed better than some guys that have been around for years.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:22 AM
RollingPredFan

I doubt we see much of Begfors, he was -2 and had 2 great chances to score and didn't. He was on the 4th line by the end of the night.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote