HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part Three)

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2011, 10:37 AM
trueblue9441

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
I wonder if the crappy legroom is going to come to the upper seating in the next phases. Hope not, I mean that's usually one of the benefits of a renovation/new arena - more room...
we'll see. structurally they didnt change anything in the lower bowl. the upper bowl next year will be completely brand new steel and concrete

Old
11-01-2011, 11:17 AM
ThisYearsModel

Too bad about the sight lines, but there is not much they can do about them. They will improve a bit upstairs, but what was really needed was a new arena. I am glad that they are refurbishing this one. It will still be the garden.

Old
11-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Islander102

Question about the new seating. In the renovated 100 and 300 sections, which direction are the seats numbered. I know that in the old sections, seats are numbered right to left. (if facing the section, not the ice) What direction are they numbered in the new sections, I ask this because the actual sections are numbered in the opposite direction in the new 100's so perhaps the seats are too. More worried about the 300's as I will be sitting there a couple of times this year, I doubt I will make it down low.

Old
11-01-2011, 01:28 PM
mucker*

Few points:

1) Lower bowl, from TV, looks much better.

Few questions:

1) How come, (can someone run it by again), that MSG decided to do a billion in renovations as opposed to just going ahead with the 07 or 08 plan to build a new 20K garden across the street?

Old
11-01-2011, 01:34 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throgsmack View Post
Few points:

1) Lower bowl, from TV, looks much better.

Few questions:

1) How come, (can someone run it by again), that MSG decided to do a billion in renovations as opposed to just going ahead with the 07 or 08 plan to build a new 20K garden across the street?
They would have lost their tax breaks had they moved.

Old
11-01-2011, 01:51 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
They would have lost their tax breaks had they moved.
Bingo, the property tax abatement would have been voided.

Dolan also didn't want the shift to the West, and it probably would have cost over 50% more to build from the ground up

Old
11-01-2011, 02:15 PM
ThisYearsModel

The $ is the reason. MSG is tax-exempt today. It would not have been if they built at Farley, and Bloomberg made sure of that. After Dolan successfully killed the Jets stadium in Manhattan, no one was lining up to help him build a new Garden.

Old
11-01-2011, 02:26 PM
trueblue9441

forgot to mention, the beer stand up in the west balcony is open now. no lines at all last night which was great

Old
11-01-2011, 03:43 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
we'll see. structurally they didnt change anything in the lower bowl. the upper bowl next year will be completely brand new steel and concrete
There were some structural modifications made, but nothing that effected the slope.

Quote:
forgot to mention, the beer stand up in the west balcony is open now. no lines at all last night which was great
Glad to see it open, sad to see that of all those taps there were many pisswaters in repetition.

Also, a huge design/marketing mistake with those magnifying glass tap labels. You can only see what the hell each one is when you are right in front of it. stand a bit to the side and you cant tell one from another.

They are bringing in all this gourmet food. the beer should match.

Old
11-01-2011, 04:32 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
is THAT where I can find Guiness on tap?

Old
11-01-2011, 04:59 PM
trueblue9441

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
i dont think so.. they had yuengling, heineken, bud, bud light, stella and i think one other beer

Old
11-01-2011, 05:22 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
nope. I havent had luck finding Guiness either. They at LEAST had them at the top of tower B and D at one point. those are gone now too.

Old
11-02-2011, 06:33 PM
jhnyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Just got back, and thankfully ate before I left. The lines were nuts, I enjoyed someone yelling they still didn't make the hallways wide enough haha.
Well I was one of the people saying that on opening night. Glad you enjoyed it. It was ridiculous, and there's a very simple explanation why. In other arenas with wide concourses, the concessions are on one side. Here, however, the genius decision was made to put concessions on both sides. So you get lines going across in both directions, making it a clusterf--k to walk through. I happen to work with one of the MSG on-air staff at another job, and she said the same thing -- it was a complete mess on opening night, and many of the staffers weren't expecting that at all. She said she has to think they'll be making constant adjustments as to where things are placed, until they get it right.

But yeah, I figured if they're going to do concessions on either side, it should have been wider. If they did it on just one side, well then it would be fine.

Also, which concourses will be the ones that have the city views? Why not extend the damn concourse all the way out to the Garden façade? Or is that what's going to happen in the next phase?

Old
11-02-2011, 06:44 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannyNYR View Post
Well I was one of the people saying that on opening night. Glad you enjoyed it. It was ridiculous, and there's a very simple explanation why. In other arenas with wide concourses, the concessions are on one side. Here, however, the genius decision was made to put concessions on both sides. So you get lines going across in both directions, making it a clusterf--k to walk through. I happen to work with one of the MSG on-air staff at another job, and she said the same thing -- it was a complete mess on opening night, and many of the staffers weren't expecting that at all. She said she has to think they'll be making constant adjustments as to where things are placed, until they get it right.

But yeah, I figured if they're going to do concessions on either side, it should have been wider. If they did it on just one side, well then it would be fine.

Also, which concourses will be the ones that have the city views? Why not extend the damn concourse all the way out to the Garden façade? Or is that what's going to happen in the next phase?
I know, I didn't see any concourse with city views haha. One thing is for sure, I absolutly love the west balcony. i could see myself moving my season tickets up there if the price is right.

And did you guys see the new veiw from the 400's under the west balcony? WOW how could anyone sit up there? If i was a ticket holder there, I would be screaming my head off to my rep to be relocated.

11-02-2011, 06:59 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:

They're there on the 6th floor I believe. It's just they're tinted windows so you don't even notice it. I didn't until the 2nd game when I walked around again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I know, I didn't see any concourse with city views haha. One thing is for sure, I absolutly love the west balcony. i could see myself moving my season tickets up there if the price is right.

And did you guys see the new veiw from the 400's under the west balcony? WOW how could anyone sit up there? If i was a ticket holder there, I would be screaming my head off to my rep to be relocated.
I heard it's awful up there though I haven't been up there yet. Maybe I'll go check it out next game. West balcony is nice though I believe it's only individual and group sales up there.

Old
11-02-2011, 07:01 PM
17futurecap

First time back for me since the home opener will be both games this weekend, so I hope to get up to the West Balcony to check that out at some point this weekend. I think as the season moves along it will be a lot less hectic, and really can't wait for the upper bowl renovations to be done next summer. I loved what I saw in the 300's behind the nets, and the great angle they now have.

Old
11-02-2011, 07:06 PM
jhnyr

Quote:

Right on both accounts -- I loved the west balcony. One thing I noticed was how cold it is up there. Gives you more of a "hockey" feel. But if you have vertigo, stay away. It's pretty friggin' high up there. It seems suspended from the roof structure. I can't help but wonder how strong the welds for that section are, though.

And secondly, as you said, those 400s under the balcony are unreal. I didn't see anyone sitting in the last few rows. The reps must've gotten an earful from those season subs. We sat in a seat for a few seconds just to test the view -- you can see the ice, but right at your line of vision where the far end of the rink ends, the west balcony structure begins. So it blocks your view of Gardenvision. But that's not the worst part. The worst part is that you have a giant balcony in you field of view, with glass walls, and people walking back and forth inside it. I have to think that's gotta be very distracting for the people sitting in the 400s.

I'm really hoping once everything's done, the new MSG looks good. I have to say I'm disappointed now in the fact that they took away the ability to walk around the inside of the arena. It used to be possible to get from any one seat to any other seat simply by walking around and down through sections. Now you're forced to go outside to the concourses/escalators/stairs to get to other sections or floors.

I'd also like to see more TVs for the people waiting on lines in that awful 7th floor concourse. It's bad enough they're waiting forever for overpriced hot dogs and warm beer. The least they could get is TVs to watch the game while waiting.

I will say -- until things are a little more polished, the Molly Wee will be getting more of my pre-gaming attention!

Old
11-02-2011, 07:29 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
nope. I havent had luck finding Guiness either. They at LEAST had them at the top of tower B and D at one point. those are gone now too.
Where can I find the Becks or New Castle?

Going to the Habs game Saturday night.

Old
11-02-2011, 08:56 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post

I heard it's awful up there though I haven't been up there yet. Maybe I'll go check it out next game. West balcony is nice though I believe it's only individual and group sales up there.
I sit in the 400s on the end. Its only bad in the back three rows or so. Front rows are almost the same as before. Im in row 3, so its no big deal.

What is annoying, however, is that the aisle in back now has to handle 400s PLUS the balcony traffic. However, that wouldnt be so bad if it weren't for the jackasses that INSIST on standing in the walkway to have drunken conversations with the other animals. Especially standing two-deep. Ive taken to make sure i walk past with my elbows out now.

Old
11-02-2011, 08:56 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Where can I find the Becks or New Castle?

Going to the Habs game Saturday night.
I didnt see them either.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:04 PM
pavelich

Quote:

West Balcony was pretty awesome, if you weren't under it.
The last 3 or 4 rows of the west end 400s are completely ruined. I was curious because I had a season ticket in Row G of the old 419 (directly behind the 8th ave goal) back in the day.
Sitting down your view to the other end only extended up to the crossbar of the far goal. If you stood up you couldn't see past the red line. They will either have to do a price reduction like the Yankees did with those obstructed view bleacher seats or the last row or three up there will be empty.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Anyone know what they're gonna do behind the eastern 300's. There is loads of space, and no lines for concessions behind it.

I'm assuming there's gonna be an east balcony etc.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:48 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
And secondly, as you said, those 400s under the balcony are unreal. I didn't see anyone sitting in the last few rows. The reps must've gotten an earful from those season subs. We sat in a seat for a few seconds just to test the view -- you can see the ice, but right at your line of vision where the far end of the rink ends, the west balcony structure begins. So it blocks your view of Gardenvision. But that's not the worst part. The worst part is that you have a giant balcony in you field of view, with glass walls, and people walking back and forth inside it. I have to think that's gotta be very distracting for the people sitting in the 400s.
But the fun is only beginning! Just wait for those wonderful bridges that will span both sides all the way across, yay!!

Old
11-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Crease

Going to my first game of the season tomorrow. Gunna be in the 400s on the end the Rangers shoot twice. Any suggestions on where I should get food and booze?

Old
11-02-2011, 10:06 PM
sbjnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Going to my first game of the season tomorrow. Gunna be in the 400s on the end the Rangers shoot twice. Any suggestions on where I should get food and booze?
Outside MSG.

Closed Thread