HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part Three)

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Giacomin

vCash: 500
I can actually remember a few years ago when I shared seats with my brother in the 400,s the price went from 25 per seat to 22.50 after Dolan announced a 10% price cut across the board. It was only about 7-8 years ago if I remember. Also they kept the prices the same for the 09-10 and 10-11 seasons. What I find outrageous is the lower bowl prices but apparently there is enough demand to justify it. Any game I have been to recently(granted they have all been marquee oponents) the lower bowl has been packed. I remember going to the 1st Winnipeg game this year on a Sunday Nite and being surprised at how packed the lower bowl was. The 300,s and the 400,s have always been packed since the lockout but in past years the lower bowl seemed a third empty. A good team will do that but I hope we don,t get hammered too bad next year upstairs especially if we go deep in May and hopefully June.I know the prices for the Knicks are much higher so we will have to see what is in store for us next year.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:31 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Apparently there is a team store opening on the 8th floor tonight for the Knicks game.
Yep, didn't think they would open one up there until they completed the upper bowl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Was just thinking how prices have literally increased every year for 10 years. You would think there has to be cap on this at SOME point, no? If they keep rising at the same rate, the upper bowl tickets will be $100 by 2015 and I highly doubt anyone is willing to pay that. Not to mention if we pay $100, ticketmaster will charge $130+ for single game seats.
It's nuts. You have to ask yourself how much these tickets are gonna be in 5-10 years. They can't raise them every ****ing year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
I can actually remember a few years ago when I shared seats with my brother in the 400,s the price went from 25 per seat to 22.50 after Dolan announced a 10% price cut across the board. It was only about 7-8 years ago if I remember. Also they kept the prices the same for the 09-10 and 10-11 seasons. What I find outrageous is the lower bowl prices but apparently there is enough demand to justify it. Any game I have been to recently(granted they have all been marquee oponents) the lower bowl has been packed. I remember going to the 1st Winnipeg game this year on a Sunday Nite and being surprised at how packed the lower bowl was. The 300,s and the 400,s have always been packed since the lockout but in past years the lower bowl seemed a third empty. A good team will do that but I hope we don,t get hammered too bad next year upstairs especially if we go deep in May and hopefully June.I know the prices for the Knicks are much higher so we will have to see what is in store for us next year.
Playoff run won't be a factor in ticket prices as those will be released in March when everyone gets their info for next year.

02-02-2012, 05:32 PM
gluvhand

I believe the season MSG lowered ticket prices came on the heels of a play-off guarantee by Dolan. He was forced to back-up that guarantee when the media asked "what if the Rangers don't make the playoffs?"

Old
02-02-2012, 05:34 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
I believe the season MSG lowered ticket prices came on the heels of a play-off guarantee by Dolan. He was forced to back-up that guarantee when the media asked "what if the Rangers don't make the playoffs?"
Don't remember the specifics but it also came after the lockout so that could have had to do with it. Doesn't matter though as the season after they raised the ticket prices negating that 10% cut plus some.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:35 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Don't remember the specifics but it also came after the lockout so that could have had to do with it. Doesn't matter though as the season after they raised the ticket prices negating that 10% cut plus some.
Zactly.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Giacomin

The bottom line is that the STH,s are the ones that pay the price for the Rangers success and the New Renovations literally not the fans who don,t go to the games.

Old
02-02-2012, 07:20 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Yes, he lowered prices 10% as per his promise...but swiftly followed that up with a 20% increase the following year to take it all back and put in the customary increase on top all in one fell swoop. Guy is a total *******.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2158
Quote:
The bottom line is that the STH,s are the ones that pay the price for the Rangers success and the New Renovations literally not the fans who don,t go to the games.
It's that Chase sponsorship that paid for the renovation. There's no way the STHs alone for the Rangers could possibly pay for the renovation.

02-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Scott04

Quote:
I haven't been in the building for a Rangers game within the last 3-4 weeks, so I can't speak for those. But for games during the first half of the year, the building was pretty full throughout (generally speaking, as some lesser games may not have had the same kind of turnout). The only place(s) with a noticeable emptiness in my opinion were lower level seats down near the glass. The seats from the event level suites, and maybe some other seats for people that have access to the delta club. Not necessarily as saying those were tickets unsold, but ones where people could be hanging out in other areas as opposed to being in their seats. Some games it looked pretty bad with the amount of empties you would see at those really low seats, but again, those could have been corporate types that were hanging in their suite or lounges as opposed to their seats. Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
It's that Chase sponsorship that paid for the renovation. There's no way the STHs alone for the Rangers could possibly pay for the renovation.

The Chase sponsorship is a huge deal, and comes with a significant pay check, but that's only a small portion of it. $800 million+ renovation. They're not getting that kind of money from Chase over the life of the deal, let alone now. They rake in a ton from all of their sponsors, so that's definitely a contributing factor. But they make money on STH's (Knicks and Rangers) and ticket sales in general. They're making money off of all of the events they hold in the building(s). MSG Network makes a ton. And actually, the MSG Media arm as a whole makes a ton. MSG released quarterly earnings this past fall. MSG Media had revenues of $138 million. For perspective, MSG Entertainment was $27.6 mil and MSG Sports was $28.8 mil of revenue. In terms of operating income, despite the loss from Entertainment and Sports (since the Garden was closed/NBA & NHL off-season, they were making little money in these two areas), the company was still up $25 mil for those 3 months before taxes.

Generally speaking, it adds up. The company makes a ton of money, albeit mostly from its other divisions. But it was paid for by MSG as a company, and not just the teams. They probably also raked in a good chunk of change by spinning off as a public company in Spring 2010 also. All of that money adds up, especially since I assume they are paying the $800+ mil over a number of years. The Chase deal is such a minor component in the grand scheme of things here.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:52 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
I haven't been in the building for a Rangers game within the last 3-4 weeks, so I can't speak for those. But for games during the first half of the year, the building was pretty full throughout (generally speaking, as some lesser games may not have had the same kind of turnout). The only place(s) with a noticeable emptiness in my opinion were lower level seats down near the glass. The seats from the event level suites, and maybe some other seats for people that have access to the delta club. Not necessarily as saying those were tickets unsold, but ones where people could be hanging out in other areas as opposed to being in their seats. Some games it looked pretty bad with the amount of empties you would see at those really low seats, but again, those could have been corporate types that were hanging in their suite or lounges as opposed to their seats. Who knows.
Yeah it's usually people either hanging out in the suites or in the Delta Club. You'll notice at the beginning of periods those seats are completely empty as it takes people a couple of minutes to get back to their seats. The area I've looked for to determine if the game is sold out is halfway up the lower bowl behind the goals. Early on in the season there would be a couple of rows empty before people snuck down to them (not people arriving late as those same rows were completely empty for multiple games). That was the last couple of rows of pricing before the price drops $50 for the rest of the lower bowl behind the goal. Ever since those games though it seems like the lower bowl and the rest of the arena's been sold out and sure enough, every game has been 18,200.

Old
02-03-2012, 08:50 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
The Chase sponsorship is a huge deal, and comes with a significant pay check, but that's only a small portion of it. $800 million+ renovation. They're not getting that kind of money from Chase over the life of the deal, let alone now. They rake in a ton from all of their sponsors, so that's definitely a contributing factor. But they make money on STH's (Knicks and Rangers) and ticket sales in general. They're making money off of all of the events they hold in the building(s). MSG Network makes a ton. And actually, the MSG Media arm as a whole makes a ton. MSG released quarterly earnings this past fall. MSG Media had revenues of $138 million. For perspective, MSG Entertainment was $27.6 mil and MSG Sports was $28.8 mil of revenue. In terms of operating income, despite the loss from Entertainment and Sports (since the Garden was closed/NBA & NHL off-season, they were making little money in these two areas), the company was still up $25 mil for those 3 months before taxes.

Generally speaking, it adds up. The company makes a ton of money, albeit mostly from its other divisions. But it was paid for by MSG as a company, and not just the teams. They probably also raked in a good chunk of change by spinning off as a public company in Spring 2010 also. All of that money adds up, especially since I assume they are paying the $800+ mil over a number of years. The Chase deal is such a minor component in the grand scheme of things here.
I'm pretty sure the Chase deal is in fact paying for the majority of the renovation. Last I heard it was at least a 500MM deal...and the cost of the renovation was originally expected to be in that neighborhood. Whether it has increased in scope/price by upwards of 300M I couldn't say.

Old
02-03-2012, 08:57 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm pretty sure the Chase deal is in fact paying for the majority of the renovation. Last I heard it was at least a 500MM deal...and the cost of the renovation was originally expected to be in that neighborhood. Whether it has increased in scope/price by upwards of 300M I couldn't say.
it was a 10 year, 300 million dollar deal

http://www.mybanktracker.com/bank-ne...nsorship-deal/

renovation cost up to $975 million

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...n-transformed/

Old
02-03-2012, 09:58 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post

What's 200MM among friends. lol

Seems like the renovation cost keeps shooting up...not that there's much surprise there I guess.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:01 AM
trueblue9441

Quote:

Seems like the renovation cost keeps shooting up...not that there's much surprise there I guess.
yupp, same thing happened with the new yankee stadium, its ridiculous and we're all going to feel the effects of it

Old
02-03-2012, 12:27 PM
skroob**

Quote:

union labor. no shock at all.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Scott04

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post

The figures I've heard for the chase deal were slightly different, but more or less the same effect (I knew of 12 years 250ish mil, but it's not a notable enough point to argue for this purpose). But generally speaking, one sponsorship deal is not going to be what covers a renovation project. Maybe those funds are contributing directly to the Chase branded attributes (the bridges and 7th avenue entrance for example). But there is also a sizeable portion of that money that goes into the activation budget on these sponsorships. They have their logo more or less everywhere. Obviously digital/LED signage doesn't really cost anything to produce, but any physical signage, promo items they give out, or anything else with Chase branding had some sort of cost associated with it and that comes directly from the sponsorship revenue. The dasherboards around the rink? Those things are expensive

Old
02-04-2012, 11:36 PM
savebyrichter35

Not sure if this is new or not, but my buddy got the pretzel beer at MSG today. I know people were complaining that they got rid of it and I don't know when they started selling it again so if this has already been addressed then my apologies.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:54 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Was watching the Knick game and caught the ad hyping that Garden transformed show. It's supposed to debut February 19th though I didn't catch the exact time.

Old
02-08-2012, 06:59 PM
trueblue9441

Quote:
Was watching the Knick game and caught the ad hyping that Garden transformed show. It's supposed to debut February 19th though I didn't catch the exact time.
awesome, cant wait for that

Old
02-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

crap I dont have msg anymore

Old
02-08-2012, 09:00 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
crap I dont have msg anymore
you and me and 1,700,000 others. lol

Old
02-08-2012, 09:02 PM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
Not sure if this is new or not, but my buddy got the pretzel beer at MSG today. I know people were complaining that they got rid of it and I don't know when they started selling it again so if this has already been addressed then my apologies.
I got a pretzel with my Brooklyn Lager on Sunday. But my kid ate it.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Did anyone else see the Times article about moving the Garden to the Javits Center site?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/ar...pagewanted=all

Old
02-08-2012, 09:51 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Did anyone else see the Times article about moving the Garden to the Javits Center site?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/ar...pagewanted=all
Did the guy writing this article realize that MSG is in the middle of an $850 million renovation? Would have been nice if he proposed that four years ago lol

Old
02-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Did the guy writing this article realize that MSG is in the middle of an $850 million renovation? Would have been nice if he proposed that four years ago lol
Might want to read the whole article--among other things the author recognizes that NYS and NYC will have to provide funding to get the Garden to move:

Quote:
The state, in conjunction with the city, would provide the Garden’s owners with a turnkey, or at least a very generous, deal: a new riverfront arena, partly financed by the substantial air rights gained in return for acquiring the Garden’s present site.
The article is about thinking big and trying to create the infrastructure needed to keep NYC as a leader among world cities. Within that context, moving MSG makes sense.

Closed Thread