HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kunitz extended 2 years (Same $3.725m cap hit)

Old
10-13-2011, 11:39 AM
stefanh

vCash: 500
Michael Ryder a player totally without entangables got 2 x 3.5M this summer in free agency after a 33 and a 41 point season the last two years with Boston.

And people say this is an overpayment after we've seen the last couple of years what 20 goal scorers get in free agency?

stefanh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:41 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Would have rather they paid less.
Are u at all familiar with how the market goes for NHL players? Its the exact right number of years for his age and he didn't even get a slight raise. Its a genius signing, no two ways about it.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:43 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Awesome signing. Love Kunitz. The guy put up decent totals while banging bodies and being a pretty complete player.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Good signing. Glad Shero could get him inked for less than $4 million per year.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:57 AM
BestRussian71*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
People think this is an overpay? Really?

The signing of Shero is right up there behind drafting Crosby and Malkin and the Pens staying in Pittsburgh as the best things to happen to this team in the last decade. Proved it once again with this signing.
Whoa there partner, relax. It is way too early to claim this was a great signing. Kunitz could go on one of his infamous 1 goal in 40 games droughts. Or he could continue to get injured and it will be a rather terrible signing, particularly if the cap doesnt continue to increase. Then you will all say hindsight is 20 20, how was Shero supposed to know!? Umm, look at his track record, it should shock no one if he misses a big chunk of those 2 seasons.

The one stat that scares me is that he has scored 6 goals in 43 playoff games with the pens.

I think it is a decent signing. Let's be honest, Shero had to do this because of the lack of top 6 potential talent in the system.

BestRussian71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:59 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestRussian71 View Post
Whoa there partner, relax. It is way too early to claim this was a great signing. Kunitz could go on one of his infamous 1 goal in 40 games droughts. Or he could continue to get injured and it will be a rather terrible signing, particularly if the cap doesnt continue to increase. Then you will all say hindsight is 20 20, how was Shero supposed to know!? Umm, look at his track record, it should shock no one if he misses a big chunk of those 2 seasons.

The one stat that scares me is that he has scored 6 goals in 43 playoff games with the pens.

I think it is a decent signing. Let's be honest, Shero had to do this because of the lack of top 6 potential talent in the system.
Kunitz doesn't have to score to be a highly effective player.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:00 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I think he's just trying to be cassius v2.0

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:00 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Kunitz said he wanted to stay - Ray sent him a fair deal. Both parties involved were honest.

Absolute fantastic deal.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Great stuff...no raise and only 2 years. Kunitz definitely wasn't saying any bull in saying he wanted to stay.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:

I may be wrong but I think you may have read his post wrong. It sounds like you are responding as if he said the Kunitz signing was up there with Sid and Geno, but he said that about Shero. Just sounded like your post was responding to him making the Kunitz signing sound incredible when all he said was it was a good deal and not an overpayment, so just clarifying.

Pick87your71Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:06 PM
JTG

I think Shero reads the papers. Jagr said what he said...Shero extended an offer. Kunitz said what he said...Shero extended an offer.

Old
10-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick87your71Poison View Post
I may be wrong but I think you may have read his post wrong. It sounds like you are responding as if he said the Kunitz signing was up there with Sid and Geno, but he said that about Shero. Just sounded like your post was responding to him making the Kunitz signing sound incredible when all he said was it was a good deal and not an overpayment, so just clarifying.
You read right, I was talking about Shero. There was some legit competition for him at the time, if I remember Boston among others had extended Shero an offer.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:14 PM
crane

Quote:

I know I'm not as knowledgeable as most posters here, probably including you. I have to disagree with you. I know you were probably exaggerating the 1 goal in 40 games. I think he had a two 7 or 8 game goal droughts. But like most of the posters here have already said, he's excellent playing the body, grinding, and has great chemistry with both Sid and Staal. If he stops producing on the top line, throw him with Staal when Cooke's contract is up.

If Kunitz wasn't re-signed, who would Shero target to replace Kunitz? Replacing what he brings at that price won't happen through UFA.

crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:20 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

No complaints, here. I mean... what's not to like about Kunitz, so long as he's in the lineup? Even if he only averages ~65 games a year over the life of that contract, I'd still say it's fair after looking around at some of the other recent contracts handed out for similar (and inferior) players league-wide.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:25 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Good signing. Love the length of the contract and the price is right.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:45 PM
BestRussian71*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane View Post
I know I'm not as knowledgeable as most posters here, probably including you. I have to disagree with you. I know you were probably exaggerating the 1 goal in 40 games. I think he had a two 7 or 8 game goal droughts. But like most of the posters here have already said, he's excellent playing the body, grinding, and has great chemistry with both Sid and Staal. If he stops producing on the top line, throw him with Staal when Cooke's contract is up.

If Kunitz wasn't re-signed, who would Shero target to replace Kunitz? Replacing what he brings at that price won't happen through UFA.
Umm yea he did. The year we won the cup. The drought started at the end of the season, through the playoffs and into the following season.1 goal in 40 games....impressive

I would rather have kunitz than tangradi, so I'm happy until his next injury.

Old
10-13-2011, 12:52 PM
BestRussian71*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Can we stop with all the ******** that kunitz supposedly does that somehow enables crosby to score? Crosby is the best player in the world, Chris kunitz plays such a small role in crosbys success. He is physical and solid along the boards, but its not like the other team has to put two guys on koon. He isn't a play maker.

That being said, I would much rather have him next year than the free agents shero signs dumpster diving in the off season.

Old
10-13-2011, 01:00 PM
SirBrad

It says something good that so many players want to stay and be a part of this organization. I love it.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:09 PM
crane

Quote:
Can we stop with all the ******** that kunitz supposedly does that somehow enables crosby to score? Crosby is the best player in the world, Chris kunitz plays such a small role in crosbys success. He is physical and solid along the boards, but its not like the other team has to put two guys on koon. He isn't a play maker.

That being said, I would much rather have him next year than the free agents shero signs dumpster diving in the off season.
even though Crosby doesn't need what Kunitz does to score, Kunitz plays great with Crosby anyway. When is it not great to have a 1st line winger that has great chemistry with all three of your centers for only 3.7 cap hit?

crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:11 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
This makes me happy. I love having a GM as good as Shero.
Although I agree Shero is amazing, didn't the orginization and system get this one done? This was probably one of Ray's easier contracts!

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Ray does it again. Good work by him.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:15 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
refresh me on what Kunitz's strengths are. it's been a while since he was over in anaheim

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtybetterbemoney View Post
refresh me on what Kunitz's strengths are. it's been a while since he was over in anaheim
Above average skater, backchecks well, great on the forecheck, good vision, and decent finish.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:19 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Not for nothing, but Sid seems to love playing with this guy. Just another spot beside him that we don't have to fill with someone who may or may not have chemistry.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:20 PM
JTG

Quote:

There was absolutely nothing about Crosby in my post, slick. With or without Crosby, Kunitz is an effective player even when he's not scoring. He opens up space, he causes havoc, and you never feel cheated watching the guy. He'll always be streaky in the goal scoring department, but he's a highly capable top 6 winger.

And he actually is a playmaker. His passing ability is highly underrated.