HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kunitz extended 2 years (Same $3.725m cap hit)

Old
10-13-2011, 02:02 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalkinX View Post
Kunitz definitely signed at a discount to remain with this team..great job all the way around.

Do you guys see James Neal signing at a similar figure this off season?
Absolutely.

Neal is a comparable player to Kunitz right now, and has not yet elevated himself to a clearly higher level than Kris. Mind you, it's very early in the season, so if Neal pushing 35ish goals, then it could be a different story.

Otherwise, I think this very much sets the bar, but at the very upper limit. Because Setoguchi's 3 year contract averaging $3million per season is also a very valid comparable.

I would guess a 3 year deal worth between $3 and $3.25, or a 4 year deal worth between $3.25 and $3.5 million.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Fogel
Analytics please

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestRussian71 View Post
Whoa there partner, relax. It is way too early to claim this was a great signing. Kunitz could go on one of his infamous 1 goal in 40 games droughts. Or he could continue to get injured and it will be a rather terrible signing, particularly if the cap doesnt continue to increase. Then you will all say hindsight is 20 20, how was Shero supposed to know!? Umm, look at his track record, it should shock no one if he misses a big chunk of those 2 seasons.

The one stat that scares me is that he has scored 6 goals in 43 playoff games with the pens.

I think it is a decent signing. Let's be honest, Shero had to do this because of the lack of top 6 potential talent in the system.
It wasn't 40.

Fogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:50 PM
High Flying Birds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Above average skater, backchecks well, great on the forecheck, good vision, and decent finish.
And chemistry with Sid

Good, solid deal. It's what Kunitz deserves and I was hoping Shero would lock him up for the same numbers when I was reading the Kunitz thread the other day. Mission accomplished. The next matter of importance for them is getting Neal signed long-term but I have all the confidence that they'll do exactly that and we'll be happy all over again lol

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:13 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

I like this. I'm sure Shero made it clear that there was very little, if any, room for a raise. I would guess it came down to sign the extension at the same cap hit and stay or...bye bye go test the free market.

I could be wrong and either way he signed so I am happy.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Human
cynic

surprised Kunitz has signed a two years deal. his next contract will be a +35 type.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:20 PM
SirBrad

This deal essentially gives this group of guys this year and next year to put it all together and win the entire thing. Johnson is the only key UFA after this season and I have a feeling we could see him signed to an extension this season.

Neal, Niskanen ad Vitale are key RFA's.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:23 PM
AK

Kunitz is awesome. Even when he doesn't score, he's tremendously valuable.

And it's basically a paycut, since his cap hit takes up a lower percentage of the cap.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:27 PM
HuskerTornado
Jobu Needs Rum

Great signing. With inflation, he is taking a slight cut over what his current contract was worth when he signed it ($3.725M in 2008 is worth $3.887 in 2011 money - (I've been seeing 87's everywhere the past few weeks....)). He fits what Bylsma likes to do perfectly and has worked well on the wing of Sid, Geno, and Staal. Other teams would have given him quite a bit more on the open market.

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

Can't complain with that even though it'd be nice for a bit less but it's not 4.0 or more.

Love it in the end.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Crozbar

I think they have to file this one under his heart really was in Pittsburgh after all. Fantastic signing ...

Crozbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:11 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
Great signing. With inflation, he is taking a slight cut over what his current contract was worth when he signed it ($3.725M in 2008 is worth $3.887 in 2011 money - (I've been seeing 87's everywhere the past few weeks....)). He fits what Bylsma likes to do perfectly and has worked well on the wing of Sid, Geno, and Staal. Other teams would have given him quite a bit more on the open market.
That's the key. The cap is only going up, and as teams are getting more and more competative, prices for UFAs are going higher as well.

It's not a bargin this year, per se, but I'm willing to bet that there are going to be equally-or-less talented UFAs getting similar, if not greater, contracts come July 1st.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:11 PM
PensBeerGeek

Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
surprised Kunitz has signed a two years deal. his next contract will be a +35 type.
His birthdate is Sept. 26th, 1979, so he'd just sneak in under 35 at the end of this extension.

PensBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 05:28 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Above average skater, backchecks well, great on the forecheck, good vision, and decent finish.
.....will go for the big hit if the chance is there, also, will crosscheck opposing goalies in the face...

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Hate to say I told you so, but actually I don't.

4.5...... hehehe
Nobody, or at least not me, said that Kunitz taking a discount wasn't a very real possibility. What I said was that if he demanded more, like a lot of players would in his situation, I'd still try to keep him around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 View Post
I actually think I'm being rather realistic considering how bad cap inflation is these days, and what players like Neal are actually demanding on the market. Also, if someone like Eric Cole, who's 10 years OLDER than Neal can squeeze over 5 million out of the Habs, then it's not at all crazy to think that Neal can demand around the same amount. Not everyone is quite as humble as Kunitz
A couple things:

1) Cole got $4.5m per over 4 years.

2) RFA / UFA. This can not be understated. If you want to see comparable players for Neal look no further than guys like Setoguchi and Stafford.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

I'll eat crow on this one...I never thought Kunitz would re-sign for that little.

Way to go, Ray. Seems we say that a lot, haha.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Jahodac

Great cap hit, it wasn't to long ago that people were thinking he should be signed at around 3.2m.

Glad to see the guy stick around for another 2 years; he is a quality player.

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Dupree13

After thinking more about this, the money may be good but I don't really understand the timing. It's doubtful that Kunitz value would have changed much from now until after the season. Therefore, there was really no need to get it done now. It would have made more sense to wait and see how the season unfolds while maintaining as much flexibility as possible.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:12 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
After thinking more about this, the money may be good but I don't really understand the timing. It's doubtful that Kunitz value would have changed much from now until after the season. Therefore, there was really no need to get it done now. It would have made more sense to wait and see how the season unfolds while maintaining as much flexibility as possible.
One bird in hand is better than two in the bush.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:22 AM
Burgs

Kunitz wants to stay, Shero wants to keep him, Bylsma likes him. Sounds like easy negotiations. Why not get it out of the way now so you know as early as possible exactly how much cap space you will have available next June? Now the club can concentrate on Neal (and to a lesser degree on Niskanen, Vitale and Johnson). No real downside to what they did.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Dupree13

Someone please explain to me the upside of signing Kunitz at this time of year. Because I really don't see it. He's still going to be there after the season, and as a veteran, known commodity, his value was unlikely to change much.

Meanwhile, a guy like Neal's value could rise precipitously. They may have made things a lot harder on themselves to keep him and accomplish everything else they want to accomplish, whatever that might be. I'm not saying that letting Kunitz walk was a likely or desirable outcome, but at least keep the option in your pocket. Keep the flexibility. There was no downside to just waiting.

Old
10-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Dupree13

Someone please explain to me the upside of signing Kunitz at this time of year. Because I really don't see it. He's still going to be there after the season, and as a veteran, known commodity, his value was unlikely to change much.

Meanwhile, a guy like Neal's value could rise precipitously. They may have made things a lot harder on themselves to keep him and accomplish everything else they want to accomplish, whatever that might be. I'm not saying that letting Kunitz walk was a likely or desirable outcome, but at least keep the option in your pocket. Keep the flexibility. There was no downside to just waiting.

Old
10-21-2011, 08:04 AM
Gooch

vCash: 692
Quote:

The upside is that while he's almost a full year away from free agency he's more likely to accept a deal now instead of testing the free market. If you wait till April/May to try to sign guys they'll just figure they'll wait a couple more months and then you end up having to pay more for the same player.

I am not a big Kunitz fan but if Ray was going to extend him he did the right thing by doing it now.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:32 AM
regard

We also know where we stand now as far as the cap. Plus Neal is a RFA so out of the two of them we now know we can keep them both.

Also if he was willing to take a fair deal now it might set a good precedent for Neal and any of our other big named guys were looking to extend soon.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Dupree13

How can you say we know where we stand as far as the cap when we don't know what's happening with Neal? That is a major unknown right now. If he ends up having a huge year, he could decide to play hardball. As an RFA, somebody could throw big big money at him. Nevermind that both Sid and Staal are up after next year.

If it were me, I would have preferred to not make any commitments until the big picture is clearer, ie., after the season. To me, that would matter more than getting a very slight discount on Kunitz.

Old
10-21-2011, 10:39 AM
JTG

Quote:
How can you say we know where we stand as far as the cap when we don't know what's happening with Neal? That is a major unknown right now. If he ends up having a huge year, he could decide to play hardball. As an RFA, somebody could throw big big money at him. Nevermind that both Sid and Staal are up after next year.

If it were me, I would have preferred to not make any commitments until the big picture is clearer, ie., after the season. To me, that would matter more than getting a very slight discount on Kunitz.
Because it's a fair deal for both sides, and you're better off getting a deal for a top 6 winger done now, rather than risking Kunitz potentially blowing up statistically and then we can't afford him at all.

Cost certainty is a good thing.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote