HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Using your crystal ball, who is the Oilers #1 center next year?

View Poll Results: Who will the Oilers bring in? (Assuming they do.)
Denis Arkhipov 2 6.25%
Alexei Zhamnov 2 6.25%
Jason Allison 9 28.13%
Eric Lindros 6 18.75%
Fool! You forgot to include...(your choice here) 13 40.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2004, 09:07 AM
Bohologo

vCash: 500
Using your crystal ball, who is the Oilers #1 center next year?

Another unscientific poll, leaving out unrealistically expensive or unattainable players like Marleau, Thornton, Primeau, Horton, and Fedorov, and sticking to likely candidates. This assumes Lowe will bring in someone from outside the organization.

Old
08-28-2004, 09:12 AM
H-Bear

I have a feeling Lowe will now go the trade route, and acquire one of FLA's young centres, most notably, Weiss.

Old
08-28-2004, 09:18 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 182
York

By not having the money for Nedved--how does lowe suddenly get the money for another UFA?

Old
08-28-2004, 09:28 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
York

By not having the money for Nedved--how does lowe suddenly get the money for another UFA?
I don't buy that the Oilers didn't have money for Nedved.

Old
08-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Oiltalk

I think Allison might be on Lowe's radar, so he was my choice from this list. After all is said and done I think a trade will be made to get a #1 center though.

Old
08-28-2004, 09:34 AM
Bohologo

Quote:
York

This link indicates Lowe suddenly had at least $8.25 million for Nedved. You might consider the idea that Nedved signed elsewhere for reasons other than strictly monetary ones.

Old
08-28-2004, 09:40 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 182
Brownlee is also the guy that wrote how many articles saying that Nedved was going to be signed within 24/48/72 hours over the past three months?

What is being said and what is reality is two different things.

I am sticking to what I do know for a fact--by not making the playoffs--hit the oilers bottom line harder then they are letting on--that is how it is with any team in the oilers situation.

Old
08-28-2004, 09:42 AM
Lowetide

I'll say York, although Horcoff will play some tough minutes. Stoll will also be under some pressure and Bishai looks like he'll play until Reasoner is back to complete health.

As for trades or ufa's, Lowe will probably airlift someone at the trade deadline. I don't see them getting one of the remaining ufa's at what he would consider good value (Boston must be blowing a fuse by now) and most teams will no doubt want to evaluate their rosters once the lockout occurs.

Old
08-28-2004, 10:10 AM
oilswell

Its a total guessing game at this point. I feel like sticking my neck out today and will ask: "what about Handzus?".

I know very little about the guy, can someone help me out? TSN projects him as a career 3rd liner. Does the guy ride on the stars' coattails? Is he in Clarke's plans and would he be available for a decent price?

Old
08-28-2004, 10:11 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Brownlee is also the guy that wrote how many articles saying that Nedved was going to be signed within 24/48/72 hours over the past three months?

I am sticking to what I do know for a fact--by not making the playoffs--hit the oilers bottom line harder then they are letting on--that is how it is with any team in the oilers situation.
Ahh ic, we should now take a fan's word over somebody linked to the Oilers through the media, and really wasn't to far off in his assessment of the situation. All to you. Point is you don't know how much Lowe was willing to give up, and you sure as hell don't know as much as Brownlee regarding the situation to begin with.
The Oilers haven't been hit as hard as you think, although a few playoff gates would have helped out.

Old
08-28-2004, 10:12 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Boston must be blowing a fuse by now
Hmm, Boston fans. I forgot: what is Jacobs' stance on the new CBA? Isn't he one of the hardliners intent on beating down the PA through an extended lockout?

Last edited by oilswell: 08-28-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old
08-28-2004, 10:28 AM
Elvis Lives

Quote:

You might want to check all those stories again. Brownlee said Lowe and Barry would spend the three days before Lowe left for the World Cup trying to make a deal. In fact, the story said there was absolutely no guarantee Nedved would be signed in that time. Big, big difference.
In how many other articles did Brownlee suggest Nedved would be be signed in a specific time frame like 24 or 48 hours? None, that's how many.

Last edited by Elvis Lives: 08-28-2004 at 10:30 AM. Reason: add a phrase
Old
08-28-2004, 01:08 PM
Mizral

I went with Eric Lindros.

Why? Several reasons:

#1, Eric Lindros would like to play in Toronto but it sounds as if the Leafs will not sign him due to their already fairly deep centre depth. Makes sense, but then where does that put Lindros? Definetly in a group of prospective #1 centres who are somewhat economical (I have a feeling he would sign a $3.5 million dollar deal if the Oilers could guarentee him that salary right now).

#2, I think Lindros would prefer to play for a team where he can be 'The Man' for a year or two. Why? Lindros as 'The Man' on an injury-free season could be an absolute force and score 30+ goals in a year.

Unfortunatly, the one downside here is that I don't think Oilers could afford to give him the incentive-laden contract that he would look for. No doubt they could afford a $2 million dollar base, but could they afford $4 million dollars in potential bonuses? As fans we tend to think so, but considering the Oilers right now are probobly already sitting in an unfavourable position in terms of status in the Western Conference, I have my doubts as to Oilers ownership willing to put that kind of cash tied up in bonuses.

As for Allison, his refusal to undergo medical examinations in Carolina probobly won't change in Edmonton. Lowe, no matter how dumb some may think he is, isn't dumb enough to sign Jason Allison without knowing his medical status. Allison will remain a UFA until he is willing to undergo those examinations.

Old
08-28-2004, 01:34 PM
SerbianEagle

I voted Zhamnov, merely because i hope thats who it is. As long as it isn't Lindros I'll be all right.

Old
08-28-2004, 02:35 PM
Jamie

I voted other. Meaning York. I'll expect a 2nd line center to be brought in personally, but no one better than Mike. Like I suggested in my long winded bored thread, I like Kvasha as an option.

Old
08-28-2004, 02:44 PM
Grimrock Alberta

You failed to put Horcoff in that poll. Realistically he'll probably end up being our number 1 centre yet again.

Closed Thread