HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Washington Capitals @ Pittsburgh Penguins. 10.13.2011. 7PM. Consol. NHL Network.

Old
10-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

vCash: 500
Backstrom's been fairly solid from the get-go, imo. Obviously shooting has never been his forte, but his passing and puck possession look good.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:08 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
http://washingtoncapitals.tumblr.com...eman-gwg-in-ot

So much better.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
ugh...nhl netword. penguins crew
im out of town...watching a tivo of it from NHL network (well, just finished....2 point night!).

good lord those guys were terrible

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:25 PM
BiPolar Caps
Failure is an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
Because of the goal prior to the "penalty", the penalty never happened. whether the next stoppage was the end of the period or another goal, it would all be washed out from the point of Ovy's goal and the game would be picked up from that point.
Oh I understand that, what I had missed was the referee signaling a penalty after Ovie's goal that allowed for the stoppage to review whether it was a legit goal or not. I was not aware that the stoppage had been created as the result of a penalty that had been called on Pittsburgh for high sticking, I believe the culprit was Staal on that one as well.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I really don't have an opinion about Schultz. I think he's a good penalty-killer, I hate how slow he is, I think he's overpaid, and I think it's obvious that he doesn't deserve nearly the amount of criticism he gets on here. Anyway replace the word "sucks" with whatever you want; the point is that your argument about his penalty-killing is absolutely retarded.
my argument is, he is not some special PKer. If you are talking about comments made about being on a bad/good PK, thats secondary. Someone mentioned how he was a top PKer on the team for years. The PK is was really bad for most of that. Not sure how that is a feather in his cap

You say yourself he is slow...and you hate it. Slow in not an ideal trait for a top PKer now is it

Old
10-13-2011, 11:30 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I was that there was a global moratorium on the word "class" by fans, athletes, and sports reporters.

It's absurd.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:31 PM
TRASHCAT

Good thing we didnt draft Staal, woulda been screwed.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
jeff schultz: two shots at net in one shift.
thats something that I like about his game...he generally makes quick decisions at point....

Old
10-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Dirtbag59

While Beagle was being attended to on the ice, Asham brushed his hands in triumph, then cupped his hands and laid them on his cheek as if to say he put Beagle to sleep.
Alzner said Penguins fans got into the act, verbally abusing Beagle as he left the ice, calling them “classless.”

Asham actually agreed with the Capitals, saying he never meant to hurt Beagle but crossed the line with his gestures from the penalty box.

“I was into the game and it was uncalled for,” Asham told reporters. “Classless on my part. I think those guys over there know that I’m not that kind of guy to be going off.”

Mike Knuble, who also scored his first goal of the season, played with Asham in Philadelphia and said described him as an “honest” player.

“He’s tremendous at what he does,” Knuble said. He caught Jay with a good one. But Jay will be all right. He’s in good spirits.”

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:08 AM
Halpysback

After Asham's actions next game should really be no holds barred fowl hunting season. Put King, Erskine and all our least pleasant Hershey players. Then take the 60 minutes to find out if Malkin's knees really healed properly, just how good Cooke is at taking headshots, just how finely Letang was instructed in the art of turtling by Talbot and how many haymakers from King Asham's face can take. If Crosby's back, well, seeing just how much punishment that cleared melon of his can take wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd even throw Toronto a 6th for Steckel just for that game and waive him afterwards for them to reclaim him. Islanders showed everyone last year how it's done and their team has been flying high ever since.

Knowing Boudreau, though, it will be just another boring affair where Cooke/Asham/Kunitz/Orpik wrecks someone with no retribution.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
The Asham situation is exactly what the instigator rule is for. It's not his fault the Refs are ****ing idiots. The gesture was dumb, but I can see how it happened. Adrenaline and whatnot.

The only reason I'm pissed is the refs called it ass backwards.
could not agree more.....

Old
10-14-2011, 12:14 AM
HTFN

The instigator thing bugs me, and the persistent cheering from Penguins fans. I was so ready to write it off as *****ing by Caps fans on the main board, but I was surprised, given how long he was down, that they stayed that vocal and positive. That's kind of embarrassing.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:17 AM
MiSe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
After Asham's actions next game should really be no holds barred fowl hunting season. Put King, Erskine and all our least pleasant Hershey players. Then take the 60 minutes to find out if Malkin's knees really healed properly, just how good Cooke is at taking headshots, just how finely Letang was instructed in the art of turtling by Talbot and how many haymakers from King Asham's face can take. If Crosby's back, well, seeing just how much punishment that cleared melon of his can take wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd even throw Toronto a 6th for Steckel just for that game and waive him afterwards for them to reclaim him. Islanders showed everyone last year how it's done and their team has been flying high ever since.

Knowing Boudreau, though, it will be just another boring affair where Cooke/Asham/Kunitz/Orpik wrecks someone with no retribution.
I certainly hope this is just a joke, and in the heat of the moment. I hate Pittsburgh as much as anybody else does but really?

MiSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
The funniest thing is that Pens fans are pointing to a delayed call on a goal the refs weren't going to give the Caps as proof the refs weren't retarded tonight.
although I dont think the calls were as bad you think (believe you said it was the worst called game you ever saw, maybe it was someone else though).....thats really funny

Old
10-14-2011, 12:29 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

I actually didn't have too much griping to do about the refs tonight. I thought maybe one or two calls against the Caps were iffy with some diving but I don't think we really deserved more than we had save for one holding call.

I do have a huge gripe with the everybody being OK with the Asham gestures because he apologized after the fact. There's a reason that garbage has no place in this game, and we saw it tonight.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:51 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I dunno if you've ever played sports against someone you didnt like and trust me at the level they play you don't like anyone on the other team when you are playing them. It's understandable for a moment to forget your class and do that. He did, he realized it, he tried to make up for it on the ice right after the fact by taping the stick and then he apologized. I think asking more from the guy is a bit much. It's not like he hit a player that was already down or made an illegal body check. The gesture didn't do any more damage - was just a lack of respect.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:57 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
I actually didn't have too much griping to do about the refs tonight. I thought maybe one or two calls against the Caps were iffy with some diving but I don't think we really deserved more than we had save for one holding call.

I do have a huge gripe with the everybody being OK with the Asham gestures because he apologized after the fact. There's a reason that garbage has no place in this game, and we saw it tonight.
I have a bigger problem with the select fans in attendance that thought it appropriate to taunt an injured player that could barely get off the ice on his way back to the locker room. At least Arsham didn't know the extent of the damage on his way to the box, the fans though had a clear view of the blood and the loss of coordination.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:46 AM
LongIslandHockey36

Islanders fan coming in peace.

I think the fight was fair and I don't see any problems with Asham's actions.

However, I think it's also fair to say when the two teams again, I don't want to see anyone in the Penguins management screaming foul over a potential beat down.

That being said I have respect for both of these two teams.

On the part of the crowd though, that was pretty distasteful. But, you always have that bad batch of fans from every team, unfortunately.

Hope Beagle is OK and it's nothing major at the end of the day.

Let's go CAPS!

LongIslandHockey36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:32 AM
txpd

@mothra...nothing like steigerwald's call of wideman's game winner. like his heart was cut out. deadpan...here's a chance....score...............they did it again......
i didnt know that the pittsburgh paper had gotten everyone all revved up by pointing out how long it had been since the penguins beat the capitals in pittsburgh.

so, the caps record against the pens doesnt impress some caps fans...it sure annoyes the pens/fans

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:45 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
@mothra...nothing like steigerwald's call of wideman's game winner. like his heart was cut out. deadpan...here's a chance....score...............they did it again......
i didnt know that the pittsburgh paper had gotten everyone all revved up by pointing out how long it had been since the penguins beat the capitals in pittsburgh.

so, the caps record against the pens doesnt impress some caps fans...it sure annoyes the pens/fans
Give him credit for legitimately fawning over Backstrom's pass though. Still don't understand why the NHL can't put each team's broadcast highlight's on their own site, but I guess I'm fortunate enough that that's the extent of my exposure to those guys for these games.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Mothra

Quote:

Are the Caps broadcasters as homerish and I just dont see it? Im willing to accept that if they are.....but wow those guys were bad

as for the record....you know how I feel. All of that means squadoosh come spring.

Thats not to say the recent record against them isnt a good thing or any of the other nonsensical spins others may put on that statement...just that I want them put it together when it really counts before I get overly excited

Old
10-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

Is it me or is Vokoun slow moving from side to side? Maybe he's not in his groove still. He looked solid last night except on those shots making him go side to side.

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:28 AM
BiPolar Caps
Failure is an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I have a bigger problem with the select fans in attendance that thought it appropriate to taunt an injured player that could barely get off the ice on his way back to the locker room. At least Arsham didn't know the extent of the damage on his way to the box, the fans though had a clear view of the blood and the loss of coordination.
The "select fans" as you refer to them is not just a Pittsburgh thing, every town and team has there fair share. Believe me, they're at the Verizon Center for us as well. The nature of this sport as well as football will always attract those "select fans", i.e. Philadelphia fans the other night booing a PSA on Cancer because some of the involved spokesmen that appeared in the PSA were the likes of Crosby and some other NHL players from rivalries, the idiot up in Canada throwing the banana on the ice. As I said, they're out there and they are not just in attendance at Penguin games.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
Are the Caps broadcasters as homerish and I just dont see it? Im willing to accept that if they are.....but wow those guys were bad

as for the record....you know how I feel. All of that means squadoosh come spring.

Thats not to say the recent record against them isnt a good thing or any of the other nonsensical spins others may put on that statement...just that I want them put it together when it really counts before I get overly excited
Pens fan. Our announcers are just that bad haha. Way too homerish. Steiggy just sucks at play by play. Errey is a goofball and I like him but together I'm sure it's unbearable as a non pens fan.

As an aside, I didn't actually see this game but I wanted to apologize to Caps fans if fans at our game really cheered at an injured player. That's pretty sad. We have a lot of great fans, but also a lot of fans that only come to see fights and goals.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:32 AM
BiPolar Caps
Failure is an option

Regarding the game last night, I know a lot of attention is being paid to the Beagle/Letang/Asham incident but I have more problems with Staal's little knee on knee action on Ovie during the OT. Those are the type of plays that can put one of our "stars" on the shelf for a long time.