HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Washington Capitals @ Pittsburgh Penguins. 10.13.2011. 7PM. Consol. NHL Network.

Old
10-14-2011, 01:31 PM
LetsGoBears

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Really? There's something creepy about that.
I have a Keith Aucoin jersey with some blood on the front of it. Seen a Mink jersey given out in a bio-hazard bag before too.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:49 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Just reading some of the post GDT on the Pens board. Gotta love it, the Caps are really inside the Penguin fans heads.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:05 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Just reading some of the post GDT on the Pens board. Gotta love it, the Caps are really inside the Penguin fans heads.
Not a rivalry... or something.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:12 PM
nTsplnk*

It's really fun to be honest. Rivalry adds a lot to the game, a lot of excitement, but consequently a lot of whining/complaining from both sides. It's just the nature of the beast.

I'm not particularly into the pissing contest, I can respect both teams for what they are. I really hope we get a playoff match up, that'll be awesome-hopefully a repeat of 2009

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:14 PM
bonzaibondra12

Gotta love Pens fans still pointing out winning in the playoffs years ago, like it still matters. Considering we haven't lost outside of one shootout since then.

I also love them complaining that the one PP we actually got was a BS call, when it was a completely blatant trip.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:15 PM
NeilYoung

Man rewatching some highlights jordan staal has almost no scoring touch whatsoever. Did it look like to anyone else vokoun had troubles moving laterally quite a few times last night?

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:20 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Man rewatching some highlights jordan staal has almost no scoring touch whatsoever. Did it look like to anyone else vokoun had troubles moving laterally quite a few times last night?
That's because he doesn't. He's so frustrating, he's so slow with the puck and has a slower release than Hal Gill.

Vokoun didn't look his best moving laterally, which is really frustrating for us because we can't hit the net, but hopefully he'll work that out for you guys. I've always liked Vokoun.

Old
10-14-2011, 02:29 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
He's certainly no stone hands, but he's not a legit #2c either like most Pens fans would have you believe.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:31 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
He's certainly no stone hands, but he's not a legit #2c either like most Pens fans would have you believe.
To be honest, most of us are really unimpressed by Staal. Me and a bunch of other guys on the Pens board knock on Staal-and often. He gets so many accolades from the media but he really isn't that great

Old
10-14-2011, 03:45 PM
txpd

obvious...no rivalry between these teams. bettman made it up.

curious: if the caps sweep another season series which would leave the caps 11-0-1, who is more in the other team's head if a playoff series happens?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

curious: if the caps sweep another season series which would leave the caps 11-0-1, who is more in the other team's head if a playoff series happens?
Until the Caps bury them in the playoffs (preferrably on the way to the Cup), they own us when it counts. That's the only mental advantage that really matters. Regular season means ZERO when the playoffs start.

Old
10-14-2011, 03:50 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Until the Caps bury them in the playoffs (preferrably on the way to the Cup), they own us when it counts. That's the only mental advantage that really matters. Regular season means ZERO when the playoffs start.
Except that only a handful of current Pens were on that team.

I doubt either team won't think it can win or lose.

10-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Except that only a handful of current Pens were on that team.

I doubt either team won't think it can win or lose.
Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, Orpik, Kunitz, Staal, Dupuis, Cooke, Adams, Jeffrey, and Kennedy. That's half of their 23-man roster, and essentially all of their key players outside of Neal and Michalek.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Duke33

Quote:

It's a fair question. If they play in the playoffs can the Penguins really say well, we bested them in a tight 7-game series 3 years ago so we own them? I doubt it. Especially since the Caps are a lot different now.

I know if the situation was flipped, I'd be uneasy with the Penguins having won 11 of 12 from the Caps.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 05:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, Orpik, Kunitz, Staal, Dupuis, Cooke, Adams, Jeffrey, and Kennedy. That's half of their 23-man roster, and essentially all of their key players outside of Neal and Michalek.
Good point, but IMO, you play to beat the crest on the jersey, not some individuals that get rotated in and out over the years.

Old
10-14-2011, 05:16 PM
IafrateOvie34

I was able to watch the game later, thanks blackout. As for Asham, I always liked him and he is doing the job he was brought in to do. I always wanted him on the Caps. At least he admitted it was a classless act. Nice to see Ovy score and I agree about the third line. Its only three games into the season, but having a big win against an old rival in Pittsburgh feels good, not to mention beating our SE division nemesis Tampa. I'm sure Vokoun will heat up. I just hope the guys continue to build up on this and stay healthy. I'm looking forward to seeing the Caps play in Winnipeg. I'm confident Backstrom and Johansson are going to get stronger as the season progresses. Interesting how the Ottawa game will be since they got destroyed by Colorado. Ottawa is looking to be in huge trouble.

Cheers!

Last edited by IafrateOvie34: 10-14-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: grammar
IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 05:34 PM
txpd

here's my view. if the caps beat them in the next three and they come across each other in the playoffs, it puts real pressure on the pens to win a game. no question the caps bring their own playoff monkey v whoever they play.

all that into account, you cant tell me that the pens wouldnt see some real pressure if they dropped the first two games of that series.

i suppose its true that there is nothing positive about the capitals. that nothing they do carries any value.

by the same token if boudreau were fired and replaced by scotty bowman, it would only take two L's before it was obvious he had lost his touch.

Old
10-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Halpysback

Quote:

We certainly were in Tampa's head last year

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
here's my view. if the caps beat them in the next three and they come across each other in the playoffs, it puts real pressure on the pens to win a game. no question the caps bring their own playoff monkey v whoever they play.

all that into account, you cant tell me that the pens wouldnt see some real pressure if they dropped the first two games of that series.

i suppose its true that there is nothing positive about the capitals. that nothing they do carries any value.

by the same token if boudreau were fired and replaced by scotty bowman, it would only take two L's before it was obvious he had lost his touch.
Actually, my guess is that the Caps regular season success against the Pens and the Pens success in the post-season doesn't mean anything at all. Maybe to the fans it does, but to the players the momentum will likely be decided soon after the first puck is dropped in the Spring.

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Actually, this is profoundly wrong. Pens fans are very critical of Staal, have been since his second year. He has probably been the #1 whipping boy amongst fans for years.

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:36 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
We certainly were in Tampa's head last year
did the caps skunk the lightning last season? as i recall the bolts were pretty hard on the caps.

but you're right. i should really know better than say something positive about the washington capitals.

Old
10-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
did the caps skunk the lightning last season? as i recall the bolts were pretty hard on the caps.

but you're right. i should really know better than say something positive about the washington capitals.
We've been as dominant against them in the last 3 years as anybody.

Sorry, I forgot I'm only supposed to through out generic agreeable responses. We're in their HEADS, man.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:13 PM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
Actually, this is profoundly wrong. Pens fans are very critical of Staal, have been since his second year. He has probably been the #1 whipping boy amongst fans for years.
Really? Every time I've seen Staal inquired about on the trade boards (to give him from the 1st line duties he deserves as a budding star ) Pen fans rush in gushing about how much of an overpayment it would take and how invaluable Staal is.

Must be some other Pens fan site where they bash him.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:16 PM
TRASHCAT

So Tired Of Melrose Pimping Letang.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:22 PM
TRASHCAT

Quote:

How bout a few factual things like the caps were 4-2 (which i pointed out earlier in this thread)against TB last year. 3-0-1 against the pens the year they beat us in the second round.

So keep dreaming about it being an actual advantage. Rather win game 1 then go 6-0-0 against a team. Pressure begins in the playoffs.

Swear half the people on this board confuse the presidents trophy with the stanley cup

Last edited by TRASHCAT: 10-14-2011 at 08:29 PM.
TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote