HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Next Nintendo System?

Old
10-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
Next Nintendo System?

I was just wondering if there was any rumors or anything about it. Apologize if this is common knowledge but I haven't really follow Nintendo since Wii.

Are they going to go back to the normal controller like XBOX and PS3?

IMO the sales would easily go even higher since they will attract old Nintendo fans again since lets be honest, most of us in our 20's want to play with a normal controller, not some thing where we have to jump around and do hula hoops to get Link to jump and attack at the time time.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
...troll?

http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/introduction

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Sorry I wasn't trying to troll. Like i said I hadn't been following nintendo at all.

The controller looks like it could cost the same for a PSP/DS itself!

Thank you for the link.

Old
10-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
The new Nintendo Console, formerly known as Project Cafe, is called the Wii U.

Here's a picture of it's controller:

It looks bulky, but people keep telling me it's comfortable, so

It will be released at some time during 2012.
Processors:

CPU: IBM Power Architecture-based multi-core 45 nm microprocessor based on the POWER7 architecture found in the Watson Super Computer.[3][58]
GPU: Custom-designed AMD Radeon HD[5] similar to the R770 chip.[6]

Storage:

Internal flash memory, expandable via SD memory cards and USB hard disk drives[1]
Slot-loading optical disc drive compatible with 12 cm "proprietary high-density optical discs" (25 GB capacity)[59][60] and 12 cm Wii optical discs

Ports and peripheral capabilities:

SD memory card slot (supports SDHC cards)
USB 2.0 ports (2 at front of console, 2 at rear)
Sensor Bar power port
"AV Multi Out" port
HDMI 1.4 out port[56]

Controller:

Built-in accelerometer, gyroscope, speakers, front-facing camera, sensor strip, microphone
6.2 inch (15.7 cm) 854×480 FWVGA 16:9 resistive touchscreen
Two Circle Pads and one D-pad
Stylus
Select, Start, Home and Power buttons
A/B/X/Y face buttons, L/R bumper buttons and ZL/ZR trigger buttons
Controller sync button

Video:

1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p or 480i, standard 4:3 and 16:9 anamorphic widescreen
"AV Multi Out" port supporting composite video, YPBPR component video, S-Video (NTSC consoles only), RGB SCART (PAL consoles only) and D-Terminal (Japan only)
HDMI 1.4 out port supporting stereoscopic 3D images.[56]

Audio

"AV Multi Out" port. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI

Btw, there's no backwards compatibility for GC titles and peripherals, but there is backwards compatibility for all wii peripherals.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
No problem...

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
The new Nintendo Console, formerly known as Project Cafe, is called the Wii U.

Here's a picture of it's controller:

It looks bulky, but people keep telling me it's comfortable, so

It will be released at some time during 2012.
Processors:

CPU: IBM Power Architecture-based multi-core 45 nm microprocessor based on the POWER7 architecture found in the Watson Super Computer.[3][58]
GPU: Custom-designed AMD Radeon HD[5] similar to the R770 chip.[6]

Storage:

Internal flash memory, expandable via SD memory cards and USB hard disk drives[1]
Slot-loading optical disc drive compatible with 12 cm "proprietary high-density optical discs" (25 GB capacity)[59][60] and 12 cm Wii optical discs

Ports and peripheral capabilities:

SD memory card slot (supports SDHC cards)
USB 2.0 ports (2 at front of console, 2 at rear)
Sensor Bar power port
"AV Multi Out" port
HDMI 1.4 out port[56]

Controller:

Built-in accelerometer, gyroscope, speakers, front-facing camera, sensor strip, microphone
6.2 inch (15.7 cm) 854×480 FWVGA 16:9 resistive touchscreen
Two Circle Pads and one D-pad
Stylus
Select, Start, Home and Power buttons
A/B/X/Y face buttons, L/R bumper buttons and ZL/ZR trigger buttons
Controller sync button

Video:

1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p or 480i, standard 4:3 and 16:9 anamorphic widescreen
"AV Multi Out" port supporting composite video, YPBPR component video, S-Video (NTSC consoles only), RGB SCART (PAL consoles only) and D-Terminal (Japan only)
HDMI 1.4 out port supporting stereoscopic 3D images.[56]

Audio

"AV Multi Out" port. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI

Btw, there's no backwards compatibility for GC titles and peripherals, but there is backwards compatibility for all wii peripherals.
I can't watch the video at work so it probably states or shows it, but how can that controller act "motionally" like the chucks do on the Wii? Or are they cutting down on that aspect a little?

Hopefully that question makes sense, if not i'll try to rephrase it.

Old
10-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1983 View Post
I can't watch the video at work so it probably states or shows it, but how can that controller act "motionally" like the chucks do on the Wii? Or are they cutting down on that aspect a little?

Hopefully that question makes sense, if not i'll try to rephrase it.
It uses a gyroscope like the 3DS. If you are familiar with how motion controls worked on the 3DS, then you should be able to get how to use motion controls with the Wii U controller. Most of the time, you should stick to the circle pads and buttons unless you have to use motion controls.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
It uses a gyroscope like the 3DS. If you are familiar with how motion controls worked on the 3DS, then you should be able to get how to use motion controls with the Wii U controller. Most of the time, you should stick to the circle pads and buttons unless you have to use motion controls.
Ah gotcha, sounds good.

So it does seems like they are cutting back a little from using motion so much like the Wii, so i'm definitely interested in this console. Definitely have to keep my eye on it till its released.

Thanks guys for the quick info!

Old
10-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Looks intriguing.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:44 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ah gotcha, sounds good.

So it does seems like they are cutting back a little from using motion so much like the Wii, so i'm definitely interested in this console. Definitely have to keep my eye on it till its released.

Thanks guys for the quick info!
The Wii-pad thing is for single player games, you can only use one per system. The Wii-mote and it's add ons will still be in use, specifically for multiplayer games.

I also really wish gamers could get over the gimmicky arm waving and realize how comfortable the wii-mote+nunchuk can be.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:48 PM
IronMosher

Send a message via Yahoo to IronMosher
We have a dev unit where I work and I hate the feel of that controller. The sticks are too short and it's just plain uncomfortable compared to an Xbox or PS3 controller. It's definitely made for little hands.

It's also only going to be as powerful (or less) as modern consoles, so Nintendo is not taking any leaps ahead of the competition.

IronMosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMosher View Post
We have a dev unit where I work and I hate the feel of that controller. The sticks are too short and it's just plain uncomfortable compared to an Xbox or PS3 controller. It's definitely made for little hands.

It's also only going to be as powerful (or less) as modern consoles, so Nintendo is not taking any leaps ahead of the competition.
Based on the specs it certainly looks more powerful than the PS3 and the 360.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
The Wii-pad thing is for single player games, you can only use one per system. The Wii-mote and it's add ons will still be in use, specifically for multiplayer games.

I also really wish gamers could get over the gimmicky arm waving and realize how comfortable the wii-mote+nunchuk can be.
The constant commercials on TV with a family jumping around their living room flailing their arms all the time doesn't help that.

Old
10-13-2011, 02:38 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Looks can be deceiving though in a case with a consoles hardware but I agree it is supposed to be at least better than 360/PS3.

Honestly the controller to me personally looks ********. I understand they're trying to combine the success of the DS and Wii and I have no doubt this console will sell.

How much will the controllers cost though? 100$? To me at 100$ they'd be selling them at a loss. So what then 200$? For a controller? I don't get how they could make a profit of these controllers unless it was outrageously priced. Could turn a lot of people off.

Also Nintendo has been doing so well largely due to their competitive pricing in the past few years. How will they do that if their controller is basically an iPad modeled more in the light of the bottom half of the DS? I guess maybe they found ways to cut corners and make it cheap and thus would be able to sell it at a more fair rate like 70-80$.

Either way I can't wait till people hack these controllers Still I think they're going to be behind the times. PS4 and 720 will no doubt have better hardware and thus Nintendo will be behind again.

Don't get me wrong though a ton of sheep will buy it I just refuse to be one of those sheep this time around. My wii collects dust, no good games ever come out for it and when one does it's usually vastly overrated. Mario Galaxy 2 was the best game I got for the console and nothing else comparable at least in my eyes has been released.

The whole idea behind this system just makes me do one gigantic If it's cheaply priced I'm sure a slew of people will buy it but I don't know that it would be worth it down the line when 720/PS4 come out and start releasing games once again Nintendo can't play.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:42 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
How much will the controllers cost though? 100$? To me at 100$ they'd be selling them at a loss. So what then 200$? For a controller? I don't get how they could make a profit of these controllers unless it was outrageously priced. Could turn a lot of people off.

Also Nintendo has been doing so well largely due to their competitive pricing in the past few years. How will they do that if their controller is basically an iPad modeled more in the light of the bottom half of the DS? I guess maybe they found ways to cut corners and make it cheap and thus would be able to sell it at a more fair rate like 70-80$.

Either way I can't wait till people hack these controllers Still I think they're going to be behind the times. PS4 and 720 will no doubt have better hardware and thus Nintendo will be behind again.
It should be pretty obvious that they maintain a low console sales price with an expensive controller(s) by reducing the hardware specs. And while it will be pricey you're also overvaluing the hardware of the WiiPad thing by looking at it as a fully functional piece of hardware when it doesn't actually run anything itself but rather is just a receiver. A Client end device where the console acts as the Server.

I'm completely speculating here but I'd say it probably values at around $100, which means if Nintendo wants to maintain their $300 console selling price then you're going to have around $200 worth of hardware. The specs put it around the PS3/360 range so that sounds about right.

Old
10-13-2011, 03:46 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
The constant commercials on TV with a family jumping around their living room flailing their arms all the time doesn't help that.
Who cares about that, they're only commercials. Although it's in the opposite way they intended you're still letting yourself be duped by marketing departments if you let their commercials set your expectations.

Old
10-13-2011, 04:10 PM
IronMosher

Send a message via Yahoo to IronMosher
Quote:
I haven't seen the specs I was just going by what the programmer who is working on it told me.

I've also been told that Nintendo has run into some roadblocks and it will not release next year in Q2, Xmas time 2012 is more likely.

IronMosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:16 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMosher View Post
Based on the looks of the thing, it seems like it's made for giant hands. It's a huge controller.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:55 PM
bdp

Quote:
They won't sell the controller individually. The system can only support one controller at a time.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Looks can be deceiving though in a case with a consoles hardware but I agree it is supposed to be at least better than 360/PS3.

Honestly the controller to me personally looks ********. I understand they're trying to combine the success of the DS and Wii and I have no doubt this console will sell.

Don't get me wrong though a ton of sheep will buy it I just refuse to be one of those sheep this time around. My wii collects dust, no good games ever come out for it and when one does it's usually vastly overrated. Mario Galaxy 2 was the best game I got for the console and nothing else comparable at least in my eyes has been released.

The whole idea behind this system just makes me do one gigantic If it's cheaply priced I'm sure a slew of people will buy it but I don't know that it would be worth it down the line when 720/PS4 come out and start releasing games once again Nintendo can't play.
Yeah but do we even know when they're going to be coming out? It's my understanding that Sony & Microsoft really want to stretch this generation of consoles out as much as possible to try to recoup some of their huge R&D costs.

Plus many developers aren't keen with the increasing costs associated with developing for newer and newer consoles.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Yeah but do we even know when they're going to be coming out? It's my understanding that Sony & Microsoft really want to stretch this generation of consoles out as much as possible to try to recoup some of their huge R&D costs.

Plus many developers aren't keen with the increasing costs associated with developing for newer and newer consoles.
And I think it was Sony who has made noise about not focusing on another big hardware upgrade for their next console.

10-14-2011, 01:02 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
It should be pretty obvious that they maintain a low console sales price with an expensive controller(s) by reducing the hardware specs. And while it will be pricey you're also overvaluing the hardware of the WiiPad thing by looking at it as a fully functional piece of hardware when it doesn't actually run anything itself but rather is just a receiver. A Client end device where the console acts as the Server.

I'm completely speculating here but I'd say it probably values at around $100, which means if Nintendo wants to maintain their $300 console selling price then you're going to have around $200 worth of hardware. The specs put it around the PS3/360 range so that sounds about right.
Not really valuing it at all just entirely speculation. You might be right though it could be cheaper it just doesn't seem like a cheap controller.

Old
10-14-2011, 01:12 PM
neofury*

Quote:

Actually I think that was just Sony, and if Microsoft pushes their new console out sooner you can be sure within a year tops Sony will be almost forced to match. That is unless the PS3 can somehow keep up with 720 without having downscaled versions of the same games, what are the odds of that? Imo pretty slim.

That being said of course they have to recoup R&D costs but this is quite outrageous if the controller is 100$.

@The guy who said the console can only use 1 controller at a time... that's ludicrous. Also even if it were the case controllers break so they will have them for sale.

Also I wasn't really trying to say it's the same as an ipad, obviously it's using the wii as a "server" of sorts but it certainly is modeled in the same light and last I checked even those e-readers cost like 100$, whether they're standalone or not they're basically similar hardware.

Old
10-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Actually I think that was just Sony, and if Microsoft pushes their new console out sooner you can be sure within a year tops Sony will be almost forced to match. That is unless the PS3 can somehow keep up with 720 without having downscaled versions of the same games, what are the odds of that? Imo pretty slim.

That being said of course they have to recoup R&D costs but this is quite outrageous if the controller is 100$.

@The guy who said the console can only use 1 controller at a time... that's ludicrous. Also even if it were the case controllers break so they will have them for sale.

Also I wasn't really trying to say it's the same as an ipad, obviously it's using the wii as a "server" of sorts but it certainly is modeled in the same light and last I checked even those e-readers cost like 100$, whether they're standalone or not they're basically similar hardware.
No that's what Nintendo said:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetrevi...-console/25499

Quote:
Nintendo’s Wii U may be capable of a lot of things, but support for more than one of its impressive new controllers won’t be one of them.

That news comes from Nintendo senior managing director Shigeru Miyamoto, who confirmed yesterday Nintendo’s newest console isn’t designed to interact with more than one of the new controllers at a time.

“Our basic premise is that you can use one with a system. If we got to an idea of having multiple (controllers) it might be just more convenient for people to use their Nintendo 3DS and have a way to connect that,” Miayamoto told news.com.au.

Old
10-14-2011, 04:25 PM
bdp

If you break the controller I'm guessing you'll be able to send it in and they'll repair it or send you a new one.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote