HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets vs. Pens Monday (MOD: Sid's return?)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-13-2011, 12:04 PM
  #1
TCsmyth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Jets vs. Pens Monday (MOD: Sid's return?)

Is there a chance?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2199869/

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:06 PM
  #2
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
Pavelec4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 30,763
vCash: 50
really doubt it
he just got cleared for contact
he hasnt played a game in 10 months

__________________
Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:12 PM
  #3
TCsmyth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
I hear what you are saying....but,

A close friend of mine (and former teammate of Crosby's) suffered a major concussion while at UND. He was out for an extremely long time, and the symptoms would appear with any exertion at all.

He told me that the largest hurdle was the "full out" workouts. Once those were symptom free, the contact was just a formality...i.e. contact was not the issue - it was the symptoms.

Everyone is different, but Lombardi made a really quick jump into the lineup after exerting full out and symptom free. Have heard that Crosby is dying to play in Winnipeg...so who knows?

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:20 PM
  #4
Lynk
Registered Bro
 
Lynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,536
vCash: 500
I don't see it happening.

He is the best player in the league and the future of Pittsburgh. Regardless if he's been cleared for physical contact, I still see them taking this extremely slowly.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:24 PM
  #5
Jet
Moderator
Confirmed Pav Basher
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,227
vCash: 50
I give it a <1% chance of happening.

You don't mess around with an asset like that. I think his awareness and timing are nowhere near where they need to be. He'd be opening himself up to not only another concussion, but a myriad of other injuries.

I think they remain careful.

__________________
The Jets rollercoaster ride is now over. Please wait for it to come to a complete stop before exiting
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:32 PM
  #6
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Honestly as he is my favorite active player right now, I personally think he should rest this season. I don't want him playing. Too much to chance. Having said that, I doubt he plays Monday. I just hope that Malkin is good to play by then, if not and the added possibility that Johnson may start, I'll be like, so peeved. lol

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:39 PM
  #7
KingSalamon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Perhaps Sid comes to Winnipeg for the pregame skate at least? That way he can give the fans a bit of what they came to see on Monday... a preview of sorts for the December game? As for participating in the game Monday... I'm thinking he won't.

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:46 PM
  #8
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSalamon View Post
Perhaps Sid comes to Winnipeg for the pregame skate at least? That way he can give the fans a bit of what they came to see on Monday... a preview of sorts for the December game? As for participating in the game Monday... I'm thinking he won't.
You don't clear a guy for contact and then play him within a week. We'll see. I personally hope he doesn't. I say that as the known Crosby fan on the Jets forum. Hate lingering symptoms with some injuries. Lemieux's back, then hip. Now Crosby's head. It's tough being a fan.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:48 PM
  #9
Le Golie
...
 
Le Golie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
I hear what you are saying....but,

A close friend of mine (and former teammate of Crosby's) suffered a major concussion while at UND. He was out for an extremely long time, and the symptoms would appear with any exertion at all.

He told me that the largest hurdle was the "full out" workouts. Once those were symptom free, the contact was just a formality...i.e. contact was not the issue - it was the symptoms.

Everyone is different, but Lombardi made a really quick jump into the lineup after exerting full out and symptom free. Have heard that Crosby is dying to play in Winnipeg...so who knows?
Crosby has been participating in full workouts at 100% exertion for a month or so now and has been symptom free throughout.

That being said, I can't see him getting into the lineup for another couple weeks, they are just taking it slow and won't be in a hurry.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:56 PM
  #10
KingSalamon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
You don't clear a guy for contact and then play him within a week. We'll see. I personally hope he doesn't. I say that as the known Crosby fan on the Jets forum. Hate lingering symptoms with some injuries. Lemieux's back, then hip. Now Crosby's head. It's tough being a fan.
Suiting up for a pre-game skate isn't playing. I recall he went with the team on the first road trip and practiced with the team right? That would about the same but with a little pregame skate for the fans is all. I do suppose though... if he were to do something like that, it would be in Pittsburgh for the hometown crowd.

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:13 PM
  #11
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSalamon View Post
Suiting up for a pre-game skate isn't playing. I recall he went with the team on the first road trip and practiced with the team right? That would about the same but with a little pregame skate for the fans is all. I do suppose though... if he were to do something like that, it would be in Pittsburgh for the hometown crowd.
But why would he suit up for a pre-game skate if he's not playing? How often does that happen, especially a player in his position... He won't.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:16 PM
  #12
Jet
Moderator
Confirmed Pav Basher
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,227
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
But why would he suit up for a pre-game skate if he's not playing? How often does that happen, especially a player in his position... He won't.
I totally agree with your point that he won't dress just for warm up, but if he is healthy enough, he should. He is the single most marketable NHL player right now and he makes a lot of money. He should be helping to sell the game, and if that means dressing for warm ups on the road, then that's what he should be doing.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:24 PM
  #13
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I totally agree with your point that he won't dress just for warm up, but if he is healthy enough, he should. He is the single most marketable NHL player right now and he makes a lot of money. He should be helping to sell the game, and if that means dressing for warm ups on the road, then that's what he should be doing.
Mario didn't play here his last few years and outside of Gretz he was the NHL's highest marketable player. He may make the trip. He may not. But as we both established, he won't make the team preskate and he shouldn't have to. But yes, for marketing reasons I concur, it would be smart, but at the same time a waste. I don't want to see a pregame skating Crosby. If I want to see a guy just skating around throwing pucks at the net, I'll go walk over to the nearest community arena and watch some nobodies do that. Meaning, no thanks.

I want to see a healthy Crosby playing in a regulation game, or nothing.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:28 PM
  #14
Jet
Moderator
Confirmed Pav Basher
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,227
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Mario didn't play here his last few years and outside of Gretz he was the NHL's highest marketable player. He may make the trip. He may not. But as we both established, he won't make the team preskate and he shouldn't have to. But yes, for marketing reasons I concur, it would be smart, but at the same time a waste. I don't want to see a pregame skating Crosby. If I want to see a guy just skating around throwing pucks at the net, I'll go walk over to the nearest community arena and watch some nobodies do that. Meaning, no thanks.

I want to see a healthy Crosby playing in a regulation game, or nothing.
It's not for you, it's for kids who dream of being Crosby, and lovers of the game who want to see the league's superstar live and in person.

If there were any significant risk of having him dress and warm up, I would say don't do it. However, it's another safe opportunity for SC to get on the ice and work on his hands and timing, so it's a win win for everyone. Crosby should be making all the roadtrips at any rate so he can be there for team practices and meetings.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:45 PM
  #15
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
It's not for you, it's for kids who dream of being Crosby, and lovers of the game who want to see the league's superstar live and in person.

If there were any significant risk of having him dress and warm up, I would say don't do it. However, it's another safe opportunity for SC to get on the ice and work on his hands and timing, so it's a win win for everyone. Crosby should be making all the roadtrips at any rate so he can be there for team practices and meetings.
It is for me, look at my HF handle Jet. You're so ignorant you meanie head. *runs and cries* I may not be a kid, but you don't think I want to see my favorite active NHLer in person? *runs and cries some more* hehe

I do agree though. If you're being paid 8.7 million US... Heck, any NHL contract! You should be there to support the team and do everything required of you. I mean, eesh... I still shake my head that I support these millionaires. lol

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:25 PM
  #16
Sunshine36616
Registered User
 
Sunshine36616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,037
vCash: 500
I think they make the road trips, but sit up in the press box. Once when the Pens were in Atlanta, I was lucky enough to have press box privileges (we occasionally had blogger days). Letang and Kennedy were up there hoarking down all of our snack mix and popcorn lol

On this occasion, Letang DID participate in game day skate, but not warm up. So unfortunately I don't think the chances are good for an on the ice Sid the Kid siting

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:44 PM
  #17
tbcwpg
Registered User
 
tbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,478
vCash: 500
I think Crosby feels less like he "has" to make an appearance in Winnipeg because they're back December 23rd. Doesn't help me as I only have Monday's game in my group.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:20 PM
  #18
Guardian17
Strong & Free
 
Guardian17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
I would be very surprised if Crosby plays next week in Winnipeg.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:37 PM
  #19
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 'Peg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,488
vCash: 500
I'm going.. so that would be AMAZING..

but no. I'm just hoping Malkin plays..

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 05:09 PM
  #20
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
I'm going.. so that would be AMAZING..

but no. I'm just hoping Malkin plays..
He better. I have him on my team. He's a 106-113 point player in his better days. Would love a 100+ Malkin. Always seems to dominate when he's not in Sid's shadow. I just hope it's not his damn knee.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 07:44 PM
  #21
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,238
vCash: 224
I'm holding out hope, I know it's longshot but it'd be amazing.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:50 AM
  #22
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 'Peg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Honestly as he is my favorite active player right now, I personally think he should rest this season. I don't want him playing. Too much to chance. Having said that, I doubt he plays Monday. I just hope that Malkin is good to play by then, if not and the added possibility that Johnson may start, I'll be like, so peeved. lol
If he's ready, then he's ready. Waiting a whole year isn't going to help anything if he's symptom free.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 04:40 AM
  #23
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,923
vCash: 500
Crosby says he is symptom free, he was cleared for contact, however I don't expect to see him until close to the start of winter. We need to give him all the time he needs to adjust to the physicality of the NHL in practice before we put him in a game.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:39 AM
  #24
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,455
vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I give it a <1% chance of happening.


So you're saying there's a chance...

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:58 AM
  #25
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,568
vCash: 500
I have tickets to the game, but I'm torn.

If Crosby plays, we get to see him live but our team is more likely to lose.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.