HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

2011-2012 Blues Prospects Thread

Old
03-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Blues0307

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Hakanpää signed a two year deal Espoo Blues in 2010 so he's free to move. He's still considered a bit raw so signing him to a 3 year ELC with him playing the first year in Finland (possibly with Jokerit) would allow him to develop one more year before crossing over the pond. Eronen and Hakanpää could make good pairing, Eronen doesn't have to be signed until next year, so that's more year of development guaranteed. Kekäläinen does indeed have an eye for talent, there's plenty of good defensive prospects coming out of Jokerit juniors, hopefully next season the coaching in the SM-liiga team is up to the task (hasn't been the case this season exactly).
The Jarmo-St. Louis Blues connection could give the Blues a big advantage in the scouting of Finnish prospects.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:42 AM
Muuri

Finnish media rumors that Lehterä is currently negotiating with St.Louis Blues.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:44 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Finnish media rumors that Lehterä is currently negoating with St.Louis Blues.
Very interesting to hear. Thanks for the update!

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:54 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Strick said that Karpowich will mostly be signed and sent to Peoria. Looks like we are pretty busy.

Lehtera seems interesting. Would give someone that Tarasenko knows in camp, and a potential 3rd line center if he comes over. Schwartz/Steen with Lehtera and Tarasenko would make an intriguing 3rd line next season.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
Isn't Lehtera injured? Or is this just negotiations for next year?

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Superscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Allen gets the shutout, 32 saves, 5-0 Rivermen.
McRae with a goal, 2 assists. He made the Abbotsford tender look like a street hockey goalie. Quite a dangle.

Superscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:23 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

There is absolutely no chance they just pencil Lehtera into the third line, even if they sign him. As of now, his skating is not NHL quality. Skating can be improved, so it's not as if he's a nothing prospect, but they would never just sign Lehtera as a Plan A. He's more like a Plan B or C if they sign him. They'd either look to re-sign Arnott or a different free agent before bringing Lehtera in. If Lehtera does jump over McRae on the depth chart I think it pretty much means the Blues don't have McRae in their plans. This is possible, but we just don't know right now. If I had to guess, if they bring Lehtera over it's with the idea he'll get a shot in camp but will have to earn it there. And they won't head in to camp with some open competition for a third line center spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
Isn't Lehtera injured? Or is this just negotiations for next year?
Lehtera was injured to end the KHL season. Sibir didn't make the playoffs so his season's over.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:55 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
There is absolutely no chance they just pencil Lehtera into the third line, even if they sign him. As of now, his skating is not NHL quality. Skating can be improved, so it's not as if he's a nothing prospect, but they would never just sign Lehtera as a Plan A. He's more like a Plan B or C if they sign him. They'd either look to re-sign Arnott or a different free agent before bringing Lehtera in. If Lehtera does jump over McRae on the depth chart I think it pretty much means the Blues don't have McRae in their plans. This is possible, but we just don't know right now. If I had to guess, if they bring Lehtera over it's with the idea he'll get a shot in camp but will have to earn it there. And they won't head in to camp with some open competition for a third line center spot.

Lehtera was injured to end the KHL season. Sibir didn't make the playoffs so his season's over.
Oh I know there is now way he gets penciled in on the 3rd line. I believe he would be a long shot to make the team as the 3rd line center out of camp. I'm just saying he would give us another option, and a familiar face for Tarasenko.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:00 AM
jer79

rumor has it Karpowich will be working with Corey Hirsch in the upcoming weeks, he's recovering from a sore knee.

jer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:03 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer79 View Post
rumor has it Karpowich will be working with Corey Hirsch in the upcoming weeks, he's recovering from a sore knee.
Looking forward to Allen and Karpowich next year in Peoria, with Lundstrom in Sweden and Binnington in junior for his last year.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:06 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Looking forward to Allen and Karpowich next year in Peoria, with Lundstrom in Sweden and Binnington in junior for his last year.
Wonder what happens the year after. One of them gets to enjoy Alaska?

Old
03-15-2012, 09:07 AM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Probably loan one out to another AHL team I would think.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:54 PM
jer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
ya either loan or keep both around. Allen could also be ready to make the jump into the NHL to back-up Halak. Elliot could be expendable at that point, he's value is high now, and if he continues to produce he could be worth something to a struggling team down the road.

jer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Frenzy1

I remember when we couldn't find a goalie and all hope road no Barulin making the jump. That and we needed a RH dman in the biggest way. Hemmingway was a top prospect.... talk about a complete rebuild.

Just figured I would update the rest of the kids playing in JR since season is almost over.

Cody Beach - 56 points in 58 games - 229 PIM and most importantly +12.

Joel Edmonson - 23 points in 56 games - +13.

MJ was 4th in the WHL

Brock B. 15 points in 46 games - +21 (first time with a +) Niagra is 3rd in the OHL

Tesnik - 40 points in 36 games - must have been injured (St Johns is the best team in the Q)

Veilleux - 58 points in 59 games. +21 for Shawinigan - 2nd team in the Q.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 08:37 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Finnish media rumors that Lehterä is currently negotiating with St.Louis Blues.
Excellent news. It would be in his best interest to sign a contract with Peoria and help them in the playoffs...the Blues could always use another solid centremen in the future. Guys like Jason Arnott and Scotty Nichol are in the twilight of their career, and aren't always going to be around. Perhaps Lehterä has taken notice of that and the fact the Blues are now one of the absolute best hockey teams in the world. Could be a great opportunity for him to show Armstrong and Co. what he has, and give him a better chance of cracking a roster spot next season. I've been really excited about this kid for awhile now, and I think it would be great for him to make the jump to NA with his buddy Tarasenko.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Excellent news. It would be in his best interest to sign a contract with Peoria and help them in the playoffs...the Blues could always use another solid centremen in the future. Guys like Jason Arnott and Scotty Nichol are in the twilight of their career, and aren't always going to be around. Perhaps Lehterä has taken notice of that and the fact the Blues are now one of the absolute best hockey teams in the world. Could be a great opportunity for him to show Armstrong and Co. what he has, and give him a better chance of cracking a roster spot next season. I've been really excited about this kid for awhile now, and I think it would be great for him to make the jump to NA with his buddy Tarasenko.
Even if we only keep one of Arnott or Nichol, I don't see him making the team. Honestly, I think McRae will have the inside track at the open center spot next year.

Old
03-18-2012, 10:21 AM
stlweir

Thanks Frenzy1,

Villieux scored 27 goals but played in only 59 games. He must have gotten injured at the tail end of the season.

Edmunson improved his numbers a bit from last season but he played in only 56 games this year vs 71 last year. He started contributing offensively at the very end of the season.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 10:54 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Even if we only keep one of Arnott or Nichol, I don't see him making the team. Honestly, I think McRae will have the inside track at the open center spot next year.
I agree, but it certainly wouldn't hurt his chances to join Peoria right now. He's very good at faceoffs, and probably would have finished among the top 5 scorers in the KHL if he didn't get injured. You have to think the Blues at least have some interest. His skating has been an issue, but look at David Backes. People said the same thing about him, and we all know how that story turned out. The money is certainly an issue too...it will come down to if he's willing to put in the work and prove himself. I remember reading an article about how him and Tarasenko we're talking about making the jump together. The sooner he realizes The AHL is his best path to the NHL the better. If not, then good luck to him.

Old
03-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
I agree, but it certainly wouldn't hurt his chances to join Peoria right now. He's very good at faceoffs, and probably would have finished among the top 5 scorers in the KHL if he didn't get injured. You have to think the Blues at least have some interest. His skating has been an issue, but look at David Backes. People said the same thing about him, and we all know how that story turned out. The money is certainly an issue too...it will come down to if he's willing to put in the work and prove himself. I remember reading an article about how him and Tarasenko we're talking about making the jump together. The sooner he realizes The AHL is his best path to the NHL the better. If not, then good luck to him.
Lehterä should sign with Peoria now, and in the off-season, come to USA, work out with Peoria coaches, and take a power skating course.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Backes put in a ton of time to get better at skating - including atleast one over seas course on power skating. Backes started when he was 19 - Lehtera hasn't started yet. And that is a bit worry some to me.

I do hope he comes over and puts in the time. It would be great to have another asset that we can deal.

Old
03-18-2012, 01:54 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Backes put in a ton of time to get better at skating - including atleast one over seas course on power skating. Backes started when he was 19 - Lehtera hasn't started yet. And that is a bit worry some to me.

I do hope he comes over and puts in the time. It would be great to have another asset that we can deal.
Do we know that for a fact?

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Do we know that for a fact?
Well... if he HAS, it hasn't done him a lot of good as of yet.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:07 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Lehtera never came back at the end of the season from injury so I think it's unlikely he'd just come over to Peoria at the end here.

Tesink did get injured about 20 games into the season around Thanksgiving. He came back in mid January.

Edmundson apparently had a rough start and came on more toward the end.

Villieux as far as I know is healthy. He was playing as of last weekend. Shawnigan is the Memorial Cup host so he will be in the final four. Ideally Saint John wins the Q so that both Tesink (and MacAulay) and Villieux get that experience. On the WHL side, Portland shat the bed at the end of the season (IMO Bartschi is more important to that team than Rattie) and choked away first place and finished 3d. 6th seed Kelowna is significantly better than the 8-seed, so they made their road more difficult. However, if they win round one, they move up to being the 2-seed even if brackets hold. Kamloops won its division with fewer points than Portland and there's reseeding. Bartschi has played 5 games and I'm not sure what the rules are about returning him – he's on an emergency recall because the Flames are so crippled.

Old
03-18-2012, 03:15 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Lehterä should sign with Peoria now, and in the off-season, come to USA, work out with Peoria coaches, and take a power skating course.
I hope that's precisely what happens Robb.

Old
03-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Frenzy1

New top 18

Read them a weep boys.. We have a pretty solid system - the more I looked into it. Guys like Wannstrom have played very well, Fairchild has been great, Rattie is better then expected, and Hakanpaa has improved.

Negative side - Grachev will have a hard time making the Blues and we can pencil in Bust by Jaskin.

1. Tarasenko - Nuff said.

2. Schwartz -

3. Jake Allen - Has picked his game up, Will have to be the man next year

4. Ty Rattie - Top line sniper - will get another year at JR to work on his all around game - no need to rush

5. Ian Cole - Has proved everything at the AHL level and is now ready for NHL duty

6. McRae - I think he will be ready to make the Blues in place of Arnott

7. Cade Fairchild - Came out of no where this year. Another year in the AHL will do him some good. I think he could play 2nd pairing - puck mover w/ good d positioning.

8. Hakanpaa - will be interesting to see where he plays next year - AHL or overseas
Could be the finish version of Polak

9. Sebastian Wannstrom – Never gets any love, but played in the SEL and put up 15 points.

10. Edmundson - Hope to see what he can do if healthy - Still a long way to go

11. Brett Ponich – Made a decent transition to the AHL – Would like to know more about his icetime.

12. Evgeny Grachev - played like a 4th liner on the 4th line. was a victim of numbers - could see him moved at the draft - just no room in the Blues line up

13. Ryan Tesink - Missed a ton of time due to injury - put more then produced when given a chance this year. Next year will be very important for his development.

14. Yannick Veilleux – Increase his production from a year ago. Next year will be an important year for him

15. Brock Beukeboom – has the pedigree and leadership. Improved his play this year – Will likely be signed to an AHL contract (expect more from him then Ponich)

16. Cody Beach – put up decent points and great PIM. Like Reaves he is a guy who can score and mix it up.

17. Stefan Della Rovere – Looking more like a 3rd liner for a different team. No place for him in the line up.

18. Dmitri Jaskin – Took a full step back this year – produced 8 less points then last year.

Not sure about the rest – Erstad seems like a great kid, Eronen seems to be progressing, Karpowich is turning pro and had a good year.