HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

2011-2012 Blues Prospects Thread

Old
03-20-2012, 07:40 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Erstad's been out of hockey for a couple years, so he's probably not on the list.

1. Tarasenko
2. Schwartz
3. Cole (or Rattie)
4. Rattie (or Cole)
5. Allen
6. Hakanpaa
7. McRae
8. Fairchild
9. Lehtera
10. Grachev
11. Ponich
12. Eronen
13-20: in whatever order, Edmundson, Wannstrom, Jaskin, Beach, Tesink, Villieux, Beukeboom, Karpowich.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:48 PM
stlweir

vCash: 500
Della Rovere may be out of the top 20. I'm assuming Cracknell is too old to be considered a prospect.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:56 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
I wouldn't call Jaskin a bust yet. He's still a young player one step back doesn't make him a bust.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I wouldn't call Jaskin a bust yet. He's still a young player one step back doesn't make him a bust.
What are you talking about, of course it does!

Look at Petro, we had to send him back to juniors twice, what a bum.

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Blues0307

It's hard to get excited about Jaskin, since he wasn't impressive at the WJC's, and we don't get to see him during the season, but he's an afterthought IMO. If Edmundson and Rattie turn out to be solid NHL players, I won't give a rat's a** about Jaskin being a bust.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:33 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Jake Allen with his 4th straight win in Peoria's 5-2 W over Charlotte on the road.

4 goals against in his last 4 games. All on the road. 3 of the 4 games he's seen 39+ shots.

Some guys like to be pushed and some guys like to be the dude.

TheOrganist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Alklha

I'm not getting too excited about Dmitrij Jaškin, but it is insane to suggest he is a bust at this stage.

Comparisons to last year's point totals is also tough considering the quality of team he is on; last year Slavia were a solid playoff team, and this year they are one of the worst in the ExtraLiga.

I've only seen a couple of their games this year, and Jaškin was solid enough, but nothing special. Issues are still there, skating and application in particular. We all know the "power forwards" typically take longer to really develop, particularly when it comes to production.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Frenzy1

While bust may be a strong word, I think it is warranted at this stage - I don't feel he will get a sniff of the NHL based on his development this year.

His WJC coach wasn't happy with him and I remember something about his team not being happy with his overall play/effort/conditioning in the Sr league. Something about lack of drive (I want to say that he came into camp out of shape - but I could be wrong).

Yes, it is one year, but you do expect players to increase production (forwards) or alteast some sign that his play is improving. He doesn't seem to have done either. And his league is a full step down from the SEL and Finnish leagues. So while his team isn't a strong as it has been in the past - it tells me he should be playing a larger role and it isn't like he is playing against tougher opponents. (Not like he jumped from JR or 2nd tier to the SEL where a drop off is expected).

Also consider my posting history - I don't get down on anyone on the Blues roster - I tend to be very positive twords our prospects, but - effort, drive, are things you can't teach, they have to be internal.

Maybe next year will prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:07 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Our 2nd round picks with European forwards haven't been very good. Jaskin, Hjalmarsson, and Kana all haven't developed like we thought they would.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:15 PM
schronote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Our 2nd round picks with European forwards haven't been very good. Jaskin, Hjalmarsson, and Kana all haven't developed like we thought they would.
I agree and disagree. Hjalmarsson developed exactly like we hope he would. He has been great the last two seasons in the Swedish Elite League playing top 6 minutes and on their 1st PP unit. The issue is he never came over and probably never will.

Kana I agree completely, pick did not pan out.

Jaskin is far from a bust, he is eligible to participate again in next years World Juniors. Now if we dont see clear improvement and leadership from him at the tournament next year then we can start calling it a bust. The fact he made the World Junior team and played pretty good in some games shows he has the ability he just needs time. Some of you are really not thinking, Backes never made the World Junior team and took him 4 years for his first cup of coffee with the note. Come back in another 3 years and then your more the welcome to label him a bust if he isn't here and working his way through the system.

schronote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:26 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Having three picks in the top half of the second round they could go for some home run bids with Jaskin and Edmundson. Remember, picks 20-50 were pretty flat in terms of separation. Nearly everyone in that range could have been a first rounder, but the ones who lasted into the second round, a lot of teams weren't willing to go boom-bust with one bite at the apple. With the Blues having three bites at it, they could pick guys who might require a bit more time.

Before the WJC I was looking at Jaskin's stats and thinking, wow, must be a total bust. Then I saw him in WJC and saw that he was still definitely a viable prospect. Hard to say what's going on with his team since they are so rarely streaming. But the difference in what I epxected to see at WJC based on his stats and what I saw convinced me we can't know what's happening based on the stats – which, yes, have clearly taken a huge step back.

If he improves his skating (something a lot of guys, especially big guys, have to do), he's got soft hands and enough physical presence to be legit. Let's see how he looks next WJC, and maybe he'll come to Peoria after that. Either way, it's a luxury to have a few boom-busts in the system. Hakanpaa is looking more boom than bust lately, for example.

Old
03-21-2012, 06:13 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
While bust may be a strong word, I think it is warranted at this stage - I don't feel he will get a sniff of the NHL based on his development this year.

His WJC coach wasn't happy with him and I remember something about his team not being happy with his overall play/effort/conditioning in the Sr league. Something about lack of drive (I want to say that he came into camp out of shape - but I could be wrong).

Yes, it is one year, but you do expect players to increase production (forwards) or alteast some sign that his play is improving. He doesn't seem to have done either. And his league is a full step down from the SEL and Finnish leagues. So while his team isn't a strong as it has been in the past - it tells me he should be playing a larger role and it isn't like he is playing against tougher opponents. (Not like he jumped from JR or 2nd tier to the SEL where a drop off is expected).

Also consider my posting history - I don't get down on anyone on the Blues roster - I tend to be very positive twords our prospects, but - effort, drive, are things you can't teach, they have to be internal.

Maybe next year will prove me wrong, but I doubt it.
Where are you getting this? I haven't heard any of that.

I'm not overly high on Jaskin but I don't think he's anywhere close to where we should write him off either. I thought he looked okay in the WJCs and it's nearly impossible to get streamed games out of the Czech Republic so it's hard to get a good read on him. I will note though that he has 8 pts in 10 games in the Czech 2nd tier pro league so far this season. He's playing those games in addition to his games with Praha.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:23 PM
execwrite

I was glad Jaskin was picked based on what I read pre-draft, but he's clearly a project.

I'll check back in on him in two years. He's a bonus if he develops and comes over. A worthy risk.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:04 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
I was glad Jaskin was picked based on what I read pre-draft, but he's clearly a project.

I'll check back in on him in two years. He's a bonus if he develops and comes over. A worthy risk.
That's pretty much how I feel...I like his potential, but he's still several years away from realizing it. We also have to take into account that it's often a lot harder for younger players to develop in the Czech/Euro leagues. So, looking just at a players numbers isn't always the best way to gauge their overall skill and progression.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Rattie named as a WHL West Conf 1st team all-star

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:42 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
That's pretty much how I feel...I like his potential, but he's still several years away from realizing it. We also have to take into account that it's often a lot harder for younger players to develop in the Czech/Euro leagues. So, looking just at a players numbers isn't always the best way to gauge their overall skill and progression.
Correct me if im wrong but there isnt the 20 yo age limit to come over to Peoria if your coming from Europe right? We need to try to get him there if thats the case

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:07 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Correct me if im wrong but there isnt the 20 yo age limit to come over to Peoria if your coming from Europe right? We need to try to get him there if thats the case
No, there's no limit. You can play in the AHL at age 18, 19, 20, 25, whatever. There is the Under-20 rule restricting players drafted out of the CHL from playing in the AHL as teenagers and there are restrictions on how many vets an AHL team can have on their team but Jaskin's nowhere near that.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Where are you getting this? I haven't heard any of that.

I'm not overly high on Jaskin but I don't think he's anywhere close to where we should write him off either. I thought he looked okay in the WJCs and it's nearly impossible to get streamed games out of the Czech Republic so it's hard to get a good read on him. I will note though that he has 8 pts in 10 games in the Czech 2nd tier pro league so far this season. He's playing those games in addition to his games with Praha.
It came out at the world Jrs. I want to say it was fitness related and that his team was unhappy with the lack of work in the summer (but, it has been 3 months - so that may not be accurate. However, I do remember them saying something to that effect - senior team unhappy with him and that he had been a disapointment).

He was one of the guys I was pretty excited about. However I do expect you to take a step forward in development each year. The compititon level is the same as the previous year - so it is a bit alarming.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
This is pretty much my take on him. His numbers for this season have to be considered in context. I'd give him a couple more years, to see what he can do. He's got skill and some physical game. He's just barely coming into the pro game. Let's give him a chance.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Ty Rattie with the hat trick in the Winterhawks first playoff game of the year, a 6-3 win over Kelowna.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:23 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Heh, posting at the same time (in the Ty Rattie thread).

Villieux had two goals in Shawnigan's first game (7-1 win). Tesink had an assist in a 13-whatever win for ridiculous Saint John.

Binnington got lit up in his game 1 for Owen Sound, a 6-2 loss.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:13 AM
MiGician

Wow I'm impressed by Teemu Eronen (currently playing Playoffs against Mikael Granlund's HIFK)

Very smooth skating d-man, takes great rushes, skates extremely well in the blue line, very dangerous offensively. Will be a gem! Props to Kekäläinen

And this is coming from HIFK fan...

MiGician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiGician View Post
Wow I'm impressed by Teemu Eronen (currently playing Playoffs against Mikael Granlund's HIFK)

Very smooth skating d-man, takes great rushes, skates extremely well in the blue line, very dangerous offensively. Will be a gem! Props to Kekäläinen

Actually, we drafted Eronen after Kekäläinen left to be GM of his Jokerit club. Although I'm sure a little "hey, this guy is worthy of a late pick" was given to the Blues from him, no doubt.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:41 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiGician View Post

Does Eronen get pushed around on defense?

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:56 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
Actually, we drafted Eronen after Kekäläinen left to be GM of his Jokerit club. Although I'm sure a little "hey, this guy is worthy of a late pick" was given to the Blues from him, no doubt.
Yeah, it was reported around the time of the draft that Jarmo highly suggested that the Blues pick Eronen.

That's awesome that he's doing so well with Jokerit. I'm not going to get too excited about a 5'10" 7th rd pick d-man but leading Jokerit d-men in scoring as a 21 yr old us pretty impressive.

A question for MiGician. He's listed on eliteprospects.com as being 5'10", 181 lbs. is that still accurate? How physical is he? Do you think he would eventually be able to handle the physicality of the NHL? I also see he has a contract with Jokerit through 2013/14. Any idea when he might be willing to come overseas?