HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Blues Prospects Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 12:04 PM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
What, if any news on Jonas Junland?
Junland is a fool. I've seen that dude play live a few times in Chicago against the Wolves. He was always the best player on the ice.

His folly was leaving for Sweden after the 2009-10 season because he thought he would not get an opportunity in St. Louis and, more importantly, did not want to play in the AHL anymore.

The 2010-11 season was rough for the Blues D and they had to dig down deep into their defensive depth with guys like Strachan playing 29 games and even Ian Cole getting rushed along at 26 games played. Nikitin, Oystrick etc

Junland would have had his opportunity for sure and he was good enough to stick. He wasn't perfect, but who is? He plays a simple, heads-up game and has good hips, but can get turned around sometimes by the shiftier forwards. He needs to increase his footspeed.

But he hated Peoria and bolted. Sucks for him. He'd be on the Blues right now.

Sadly, I don't ever see him coming back to stay.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 05-31-2012 at 01:03 PM.
ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:02 PM
ChicagoBlues

RE: Junland

I am pretty sure the Blues have relinquished his rights after his ELC expired. He is currently not under contract according to CapGeek. Also, he is not listed as a prospect on the Blues website.

The Junland era is over.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:06 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Figures. What a waste of a talent, considering I'd much rather see Junland then UFA Jackman on the Def.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Figures. What a waste of a talent, considering I'd much rather see Junland then UFA Jackman on the Def.
I sure as heck wouldn't. I would be interested in seeing if anyone else would prefer Junlund over Jax.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:44 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
I sure as heck wouldn't. I would be interested in seeing if anyone else would prefer Junlund over Jax.
I sure as heck would not take Junland OVER Jackman, but both would be nice.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
I sure as heck would not take Junland OVER Jackman, but both would be nice.
Both would work pretty nicely...assuming there were no temper-tantrums from Junlund.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:06 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Junlund and Russel seem a lot more comparable to me then Jackman and Junlund.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:13 PM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Clearly your not serious, or are you?

Jonas Junland could not play a lick of defense, and yes I saw him play quite a few times in Peoria.

The guy I'm hoping that can have a strong year in Peoria is Brett Ponich. I really think that the knee surgery his final year in Portland did not help him what so ever last year. The guy is a beast size wise, let's see if he can put it all together and become a solid NHL defenseman.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:13 PM
sdaltons

i would be all for Junland taking Colaiacovo's spot. and it would probably be cost effective enough that it would appeal to the Blues. too bad Junland seems to have moved on.

HF needs to remove him from our prospect list.

sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 06:11 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Clearly your not serious, or are you?

Jonas Junland could not play a lick of defense, and yes I saw him play quite a few times in Peoria.

The guy I'm hoping that can have a strong year in Peoria is Brett Ponich. I really think that the knee surgery his final year in Portland did not help him what so ever last year. The guy is a beast size wise, let's see if he can put it all together and become a solid NHL defenseman.
RE: Junland

He sometimes seemed bored, which reflected in his play and our perceptions of his play. For the most part he controlled the ice by keeping the play in front of him. He sometimes underestimated AHL talent and would get burned because of his lack of respect.

CelticNote is right a little bit in that Junland had attitude problems. He was better than everyone esle and knew it, but was unable to prove it consistently on the ice. Instead he disrespected AHL talent and got burned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
i would be all for Junland taking Colaiacovo's spot. and it would probably be cost effective enough that it would appeal to the Blues. too bad Junland seems to have moved on.

Yes he does.

Old
05-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Novacain

Junland, if he was on the Blues from what I had heard, would have been one of the worst D-Men in his own zone in the league. So, no, I would not want him on the Blues.

Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:01 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacain View Post
Junland, if he was on the Blues from what I had heard, would have been one of the worst D-Men in his own zone in the league. So, no, I would not want him on the Blues.
Maybe. I think he was talented, but a head case, which got in the way of his talent. Happens all the time. He severely hurt his own development all by himself. It is all moot anyway. The Blues no longer "own" him.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Blues0307

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the Blues moved on from him. If I recall, it came out that the Blues were upset with him for choosing to go back to the SEL. They basically said(and I'm paraphrasing) good luck, don't come back.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:45 AM
Ignore42me*

Blues prospect pool top heavy with elite offensive talent
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...fensive-talent

Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 04:37 AM
BlueSinceBirth

To be fair to Junland, it's not like he just left Peoria in the middle of his first season. He stuck it out for a couple of years and gave it a shot and for that I think he deserves a bit more respect from Blues fans.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:28 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSinceBirth View Post
To be fair to Junland, it's not like he just left Peoria in the middle of his first season. He stuck it out for a couple of years and gave it a shot and for that I think he deserves a bit more respect from Blues fans.
I agree, but only in regards to his talent. He had foot speed issues for sure, but he dominated games so easily that it seemed he got really bored, which is itself disrespectful. He thought he was better than everybody else and didn't work hard enough.

Or maybe I am totally insane and he just misses his Mother's Havreflarn.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:29 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
I'm pretty sure the Blues moved on from him. If I recall, it came out that the Blues were upset with him for choosing to go back to the SEL. They basically said(and I'm paraphrasing) good luck, don't come back.
Pretty much this!^^^

Old
06-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Steve Doan
RIP Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSinceBirth View Post
Didn't Junland play a couple games at the NHL Level? pretty disappointing to see we gave up on him.

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 04:02 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
Didn't Junland play a couple games at the NHL Level? pretty disappointing to see we gave up on him.
The Blues didn't give up on him at all. They offered him a one-way contract for $500k. Instead, he signed with Farjestads of the SEL for a reported ~ $300-400k, against his agent's advice I might add.

Since then, he's only been so-so in the SEL and KHL. I doubt he'll ever get an opportunity like he had 2 years ago again. To put it simply, he blew it.

I agree with those that don't see much of a connection between Junland and Jackman. They are completely different players. If you want to compare him to anyone, it's probably Cola. Shortly after Junland shocked everyone by turning down the Blues' $500k offer, the Blues re-signed Colaiacovo. I am almost 100% confident that if Junland would've signed, the Blues wouldn't have re-signed Cola.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 04:06 PM
sdaltons

evidently we just signed Ty Rattie. wonder if they'd consider letting him do the 9 games thing this season.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:08 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Quote:
evidently we just signed Ty Rattie. wonder if they'd consider letting him do the 9 games thing this season.
Of course they will.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

I keep seeing "blues sign.." and am disappointed every time.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 04:12 PM
sdaltons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Of course they will.
do you really think he's ready for NHL action?

if Tarasenko does end up coming over, i'm not sure how there would be room for Rattie, anyway. unless this is being done as a possible backup plan in case Tarasenko does not come.

or, like most things in life, i've just read too far into this situation.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:16 PM
sdaltons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
I keep seeing "blues sign.." and am disappointed every time.
haha same here. i am pumped about Rattie, though. just wasn't thinking we'd see him for at least another couple years.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Of course they will.
They'll give him the chance, but I doubt he gets to play unless there are a few injuries. He isn't physically ready, and we are going to be very deep on RW.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote