HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Blues Prospects Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-01-2012, 04:50 PM
  #501
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,126
vCash: 500
If he dominates in training camp, he may get the nine game trial period. More than likely, he'll play for Portland for the entire year. That's really what's best for him in the long run. Hopefully the coaches show him what he needs to improve on, he works hard to improve in those areas, maybe spends a year or two in Peoria for further development, and then comes in as a solid addition to the top nine. If we're devastated by injuries at some point in the next couple of years, he might see some action. Even then, I doubt it. No reason to rush him.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 05:29 PM
  #502
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,599
vCash: 500
Rattie isn't making the team. He's staying in Juniors.

Not only is he probably not physically ready for the NHL yet, but we have no room for him.

Any speculation is stupid.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 05:36 PM
  #503
BlueBeard
Registered User
 
BlueBeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
I wouldn't be opposed to Rattie getting a similar treatment as Pietrangelo. Really stretch out that 9 game trial letting him train and practice at the NHL level for a couple months and then send him back to juniors so he can go to the WJC, finish the WHL season, and then see how far he goes into the playoffs.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:00 PM
  #504
simon in canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I expect to see all three of Beukeboom, Hakanpaa and Macaulay signed before the deadline... but I would only expect to see Macaulay and Beukeboom in Peoria next year. I don't think the Blues will let Hakanpaa get away, but I don't expect him to actually be in North America next season.

I have to wonder, though, when teams like Edmonton and Dallas have been able to get their high European draft picks (MPS, Eriksson, others) to come over and play a year or two in the AHL, why the Blues do not seem to be able to do the same thing?

I realize that Eller and Junland were both high picks (Eller a first-rounder, Junland a second-rounder), and both played in the AHL, but they have not had much luck getting their other Euros to come across and commit to playing in the AHL as a stepping stone to the NHL.

I'd really like to see Lehtera, Wannstrom, Hakanpaa, Eronen and Andronov on Peoria's roster next year, and Niklas Lundstrom and Dmitrij Jaskin the year after... but it seems that this is unlikely to happen.
Well it's June 1 and I haven't heard anything about Beukeboom or Macaulay. Does this mean they go back in to the draft and we lose them as prospects?

simon in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:09 PM
  #505
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon in canada View Post
Well it's June 1 and I haven't heard anything about Beukeboom or Macaulay. Does this mean they go back in to the draft and we lose them as prospects?
I don't think loosing both is going to matter much.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:35 PM
  #506
simon in canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
You are probably right. I just found Beukeboom a bit intriguing as his father was one of my favourite and most coveted defensemen when he played for the Oilers and then the Rangers, one of those guys I just wished was on the Blues. It does seem so far that Brock is not going to be as mean, tough (or even as big) as his dad.

simon in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:38 PM
  #507
Bjindaho
Registered User
 
Bjindaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,355
vCash: 500
Mac and Beukeboom are re-entering...honest question for yas. Mac is exactly what he projected to be from the start (hard working honest Joe). Is this a piss-poor talent evaluation (did they think he'd become something more) or did the picking of Tesink the next year make him expendable in your opinion?

Bjindaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:01 AM
  #508
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Rattie isn't making the team. He's staying in Juniors.

Not only is he probably not physically ready for the NHL yet, but we have no room for him.

Any speculation is stupid.
This was confirmed by Armstrong announcing that he'd return to Portland for next season. So why the signing now? It's not like he's going to choose to play in The SEL or KHL in 2013-14.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:03 AM
  #509
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon in canada View Post
You are probably right. I just found Beukeboom a bit intriguing as his father was one of my favourite and most coveted defensemen when he played for the Oilers and then the Rangers, one of those guys I just wished was on the Blues. It does seem so far that Brock is not going to be as mean, tough (or even as big) as his dad.
Still, I'd liked to have had The Blues hang onto him and see how he develops. The problem is the maximum of 50 pro contracts.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:07 AM
  #510
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Still, I'd liked to have had The Blues hang onto him and see how he develops. The problem is the maximum of 50 pro contracts.
I'm assuming that this means the Blues plan to go all-out to retain veteran depth for Peoria, i.e. Sterling, Cheechoo, Syvret, who are all UFA's.

Since Binnington, Hakanpaa and Rattie will, in all likelihood, "slide" the first year of their ELC's into 2013-14, do those contracts count against the 50-contract limit?

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:13 AM
  #511
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I'm assuming that this means the Blues plan to go all-out to retain veteran depth for Peoria, i.e. Sterling, Cheechoo, Syvret, who are all UFA's.

Since Binnington, Hakanpaa and Rattie will, in all likelihood, "slide" the first year of their ELC's into 2013-14, do those contracts count against the 50-contract limit?
I don't know that answer for certain, but if they do actually count, then the timing of Rattie's signing is even more bizarre. I would think they would wait to sign guys like Rattie and Binnington that they are virtually positive will not play in the system until next year. Again, I don't know for certain, but it only makes sense.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:53 AM
  #512
sdaltons
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I'm assuming that this means the Blues plan to go all-out to retain veteran depth for Peoria, i.e. Sterling, Cheechoo, Syvret, who are all UFA's.

Since Binnington, Hakanpaa and Rattie will, in all likelihood, "slide" the first year of their ELC's into 2013-14, do those contracts count against the 50-contract limit?
Sterling was dealt awhile ago for Patrick O'Sulivan

sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 06:06 AM
  #513
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,477
vCash: 500
I would assume that they are getting him into the fold now, to avoid any possibility that he'd pull a ?|"Blake Wheeler" on them after next season, and leave for another team, as well as being able to keep him on this year's NHL roster for about 20-25 games while playing him 9 games, and having him train and practise with the NHL coaches (The Pietrangelo treatment").

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 07:28 AM
  #514
Bjindaho
Registered User
 
Bjindaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
This was confirmed by Armstrong announcing that he'd return to Portland for next season. So why the signing now? It's not like he's going to choose to play in The SEL or KHL in 2013-14.
By signing him now, you get to stretch his signing bonus over an extra year (assuming he doesn't play this year), slightly altering the money down the road. Also, any non-20 who goes back to junior doesn't count towards your 50 contracts.

Bjindaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:11 PM
  #515
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
Sterling was dealt awhile ago for Patrick O'Sulivan
No, he wasn't.

That deal was a loan arrangement between the Blues and Phoenix. Sterling remained property of the Blues, and O'Sullivan property of the Coyotes. Both are now UFA's, or will be as of July 1.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:13 PM
  #516
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
By signing him now, you get to stretch his signing bonus over an extra year (assuming he doesn't play this year), slightly altering the money down the road. Also, any non-20 who goes back to junior doesn't count towards your 50 contracts.
So the answer to my question above, then, is Binnington and Rattie, yes; Hakanpaa, no (since he's not going back to junior, but rather to the Finnish Elite League)?

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:18 PM
  #517
BlueBeard
Registered User
 
BlueBeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
So the answer to my question above, then, is Binnington and Rattie, yes; Hakanpaa, no (since he's not going back to junior, but rather to the Finnish Elite League)?
You are correct.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:36 PM
  #518
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,061
vCash: 50
How much savings do the Blues create by not signing Arnott, Langenbrunner, Carlo and Jackman ? Seems like a lot jack to me. I would also trade Stewart and his 3 mill too. If I remember correctly, I think all 5 of those players are around 3 mill per year.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:36 PM
  #519
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
Sterling was dealt awhile ago for Patrick O'Sulivan
Wasn't that deal more of a swap? Not a trade?

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:01 PM
  #520
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Wasn't that deal more of a swap? Not a trade?
Exactly! Their contracts were NOT traded. They were loaned to each other's owning team, and ownership was retained. However, I believe that they have both become free agents as of June 1. The Blues will now have to re-sign Sterling, if they want him.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:41 PM
  #521
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
How much savings do the Blues create by not signing Arnott, Langenbrunner, Carlo and Jackman ? Seems like a lot jack to me. I would also trade Stewart and his 3 mill too. If I remember correctly, I think all 5 of those players are around 3 mill per year.
$11m + $625,000 in bonuses for Arnott, Langenbrunner, Jax & Carlo. Stewart got $3.25m.

Next seasons current roster of...

Steen - Backes - Oshie (@~$3.75m)
McDonald - Berglund - Tarasenko
Perron (@~$3.75m) - ????? - Stewart (@~$3.25m)
Crombeen - Sobotka - Reaves
D'Agostini/Schwartz

????? - Pietrangelo
????? - Shattenkirk
Russell - Polak
Cole

Halak
Elliott

$43.45m + a total of $3m in potential bonuses to Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Schwartz and Cole.

While we are in a good position for next season financially, everything has to be weighed against the fact we have Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Berglund, D'Agostini, Russell and Cole as RFA's next summer which will add significant salary.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:13 PM
  #522
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Exactly! Their contracts were NOT traded. They were loaned to each other's owning team, and ownership was retained. However, I believe that they have both become free agents as of June 1. The Blues will now have to re-sign Sterling, if they want him.
I like Sterling as a player, but he doesn't get enough opportunities. I'm not sure what else he needs to do to show that he can score. He just never seems to fit a good role on a team. It's too bad because he is quite talented. He is a scorer, but NHL teams don't seem to want him on their first two lines.

I think a team like Columbus should sign him and give him a shot. I'm curious to see what he can do in the NHL on full-time duty. I just don't wanna see that with the Blues.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:31 PM
  #523
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
I like Sterling as a player, but he doesn't get enough opportunities. I'm not sure what else he needs to do to show that he can score. He just never seems to fit a good role on a team. It's too bad because he is quite talented. He is a scorer, but NHL teams don't seem to want him on their first two lines.

I think a team like Columbus should sign him and give him a shot. I'm curious to see what he can do in the NHL on full-time duty. I just don't wanna see that with the Blues.
He'd likely be a defensive liability just due to his small size. He wouldn't fit into Hitch's system, especially as his offence on The NHL level is not nearly good enough to balance his liabilities in the defensive end and his lack of size and physical game on the forecheck and battling for pucks, etc. Not that he's bad on defence, or that he doesn't play hard enough. It's just that he's very small, and doesn't produce enough to make up for that. Really small players must produce a LOT of extra offence, and win a lot of faceoffs, and/or add much needed help in some area to make up for their deficiencies elsewhere. McDonald, with his super speed, shiftiness, soft hands, good timing and shot, make up for his small size on defence, and potential to be manhandled in close quarters. His speed and moves provide him room to operate, make it tough for larger players to stifle him. His stickhandling helps him on both offence and defence (poke checking, stealing the puck).

Sterling is weaker in all those areas, which is why McDonald is a solid Top -6 NHL forward, and Sterling is, at best, a marginal NHLer (even in his prime).

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:36 PM
  #524
Ignore42me*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
He'd likely be a defensive liability just due to his small size. He wouldn't fit into Hitch's system, especially as his offence on The NHL level is not nearly good enough to balance his liabilities in the defensive end and his lack of size and physical game on the forecheck and battling for pucks, etc. Not that he's bad on defence, or that he doesn't play hard enough. It's just that he's very small, and doesn't produce enough to make up for that. Really small players must produce a LOT of extra offence, and win a lot of faceoffs, and/or add much needed help in some area to make up for their deficiencies elsewhere. McDonald, with his super speed, shiftiness, soft hands, good timing and shot, make up for his small size on defence, and potential to be manhandled in close quarters. His speed and moves provide him room to operate, make it tough for larger players to stifle him. His stickhandling helps him on both offence and defence (poke checking, stealing the puck).

Sterling is weaker in all those areas, which is why McDonald is a solid Top -6 NHL forward, and Sterling is, at best, a marginal NHLer (even in his prime).
His size is his biggest downfall no doubt. If he was bigger he would be a dominant 4th liner IMO

Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:39 PM
  #525
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
If you take HF's new top 20 ranking of Blues prospects, all but 5 are signed*. Four are 2011 draftees who still have a year before they must be signed (Edmundson, Jaskin, Villieux and Tesink) and 20th ranked Beukeboom (who is no longer Blues property).

Was a good fortnight and a particularly excellent past 24 hours: Hakanpaa, Rattie and Tarasenko news.

*Tarasenko's signing not official but the details of the contract's bonuses are now mutually agreed.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.