HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Blues Prospects Thread

Old
06-02-2012, 06:28 PM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
He'd likely be a defensive liability just due to his small size. He wouldn't fit into Hitch's system, especially as his offence on The NHL level is not nearly good enough to balance his liabilities in the defensive end and his lack of size and physical game on the forecheck and battling for pucks, etc. Not that he's bad on defence, or that he doesn't play hard enough. It's just that he's very small, and doesn't produce enough to make up for that. Really small players must produce a LOT of extra offence, and win a lot of faceoffs, and/or add much needed help in some area to make up for their deficiencies elsewhere. McDonald, with his super speed, shiftiness, soft hands, good timing and shot, make up for his small size on defence, and potential to be manhandled in close quarters. His speed and moves provide him room to operate, make it tough for larger players to stifle him. His stickhandling helps him on both offence and defence (poke checking, stealing the puck).

Sterling is weaker in all those areas, which is why McDonald is a solid Top -6 NHL forward, and Sterling is, at best, a marginal NHLer (even in his prime).
Right. Like I posted, I want to see him play full-time, but NOT on the Blues. Maybe you missed that part.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Right. Like I posted, I want to see him play full-time, but NOT on the Blues. Maybe you missed that part.
No. I didn't miss that part. i was agreeing with you that there will be no space on The Blues' NHL roster for him. So, for him to have another chance to show what he can do in The NHL, he'll have to try with another team. I was just clarifying for those reader who only know Sterling by his status and stats, and have not seen him play full time on Top 6 lines in The AHL, and have only seen him play a few 4th line shifts in The NHL (or less).

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 08:43 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
No. I didn't miss that part. i was agreeing with you that there will be no space on The Blues' NHL roster for him. So, for him to have another chance to show what he can do in The NHL, he'll have to try with another team. I was just clarifying for those reader who only know Sterling by his status and stats, and have not seen him play full time on Top 6 lines in The AHL, and have only seen him play a few 4th line shifts in The NHL (or less).
Oh...gotcha... and you are right.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:44 PM
h22prelude93

As expected, Jori Lehtera reportedly signed an extension with Sibir yesterday. Still says his dream is to play in the NHL. If he waits til next season to join the Blues he'll be 25 and won't have to sign an ELC.

Link: http://www.liveinternet.ru/users/ker...post223740361/

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:59 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

So much for the possibility of Tarasenko tempting him to come over.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:26 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
As expected, Jori Lehtera reportedly signed an extension with Sibir yesterday. Still says his dream is to play in the NHL. If he waits til next season to join the Blues he'll be 25 and won't have to sign an ELC.

Link: http://www.liveinternet.ru/users/ker...post223740361/
Yeah, that's not surprising, especially give the recent reports of him likely resigning with Sibir. He's simply a tweener - not good enough to jump right into the NHL and it makes no financial sense to him to play in Peoria for $65k when he can make $1M or so in the KHL.

You're right in that he won't be held to the ELC rules starting next summer but I doubt the Blues would be willing to give him much more than what he'd be able to get now anyway. Unless Lehtera makes tremendous improvements in his weaknesses this season, I doubt the Blues would be willing to offer him much more than a two-way contract being ~ $600k NHL/$105k AHL. Perhaps some things change in the next CBA which makes it more likely that Lehtera signs but due to the conditions and his strengths/weaknesses, I still don't ever see him being an NHLer.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Yeah, that's not surprising, especially give the recent reports of him likely resigning with Sibir. He's simply a tweener - not good enough to jump right into the NHL and it makes no financial sense to him to play in Peoria for $65k when he can make $1M or so in the KHL.

You're right in that he won't be held to the ELC rules starting next summer but I doubt the Blues would be willing to give him much more than what he'd be able to get now anyway. Unless Lehtera makes tremendous improvements in his weaknesses this season, I doubt the Blues would be willing to offer him much more than a two-way contract being ~ $600k NHL/$105k AHL. Perhaps some things change in the next CBA which makes it more likely that Lehtera signs but due to the conditions and his strengths/weaknesses, I still don't ever see him being an NHLer.
I agree here. He's not ready for The NHL -EVEN for a "run and gun" team. With his utter lack of defensive play, he's an especially poor fit for a Hitchcock team. No chance he'll play for The Blues unless he makes major improvements to his game in several areas. He's not likely to do that before his time for The Blues to get his contract signed.

I don't think he'll ever play for The Blues. And his time in The NHL might be marginal, at best. I don't see him having a decent length NHL career (if he ever makes it, at all).

Old
06-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I think of he waits a year, signs a two way deal and works out a deal that if he doesn't make the NHL roster, he can go back to Sibir.

Doubtful, but a possible idea.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:36 AM
sdaltons

so looking at the rules, it looks to me like Ty Rattie could play in Peoria next season. the rule states a player has to either be 20 on 12/31 of that year or have played 4 years of juniors before being allowed to play in the AHL.

in the 2013-14 season, he will have met both these conditions.

i'm sure this isn't news to anyone else but me, but i was thinking he would still be able to play in Portland for another two seasons, not just one.

sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:18 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Rattie will either be in Peoria or St. Louis in 2013-2014. Depending on how the Stewart situation unfolds, I could see Rattie playing with us in 2013-2014, giving us another ELC, and saving us even more money. That will be very important because we all know the Pietrangelo deal will be massive.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:30 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
so looking at the rules, it looks to me like Ty Rattie could play in Peoria next season. the rule states a player has to either be 20 on 12/31 of that year or have played 4 years of juniors before being allowed to play in the AHL.

in the 2013-14 season, he will have met both these conditions.

i'm sure this isn't news to anyone else but me, but i was thinking he would still be able to play in Portland for another two seasons, not just one.
When you said "next season" I thought you were referring to 2012-13 not 1013-14. Of course, thus is the time of year where it gets confusing when "next season" turns into "this season".

You're right though that Rattie will first be eligible to play in the AHL starting in the 2013-14 season. If he plays there or with the Blues is TBD. Technically, he could still play for the Winterhawks that season as a 20 yr old overager but there's no way that happens (overagers are almost always undrafted kids trying one last time to impress a pro team enough to give him a chance).

Rattie's a keeper for sure. He might get a handful of games with the Blues this season but I'd be shocked if he stuck with the team long-term. I think it's almost a guarantee that he'll spend one final season in Jrs. He'll very likely make Canada's WJC team as well. I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops this season.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:41 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
I agree here. He's not ready for The NHL -EVEN for a "run and gun" team. With his utter lack of defensive play, he's an especially poor fit for a Hitchcock team. No chance he'll play for The Blues unless he makes major improvements to his game in several areas. He's not likely to do that before his time for The Blues to get his contract signed.

I don't think he'll ever play for The Blues. And his time in The NHL might be marginal, at best. I don't see him having a decent length NHL career (if he ever makes it, at all).
The whole idea on the Blues drafting European Players early in recent drafts is leaving a bad taste in my mouth : Lehtera, Jugland, Andropov, ETC... Unless it's a game changer like Tarasenko, I'd stay away that's my feeling anyhow.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:25 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
The whole idea on the Blues drafting European Players early in recent drafts is leaving a bad taste in my mouth : Lehtera, Jugland, Andropov, ETC... Unless it's a game changer like Tarasenko, I'd stay away that's my feeling anyhow.
While I do agree with you, Id be happy if he got Tomas Hertl this year.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:57 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
All 3 of those guys were 3rd rd picks. I wouldn't exactly consider that "early". I believe the success rate of picks from the 3rd rd and beyond becoming NHLers is historically somewhere around 12%.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:23 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Berglund, Eller, Tarasenko, Rundblad

When you say "early" I think its really only the 1st round picks that I'd be worried about. The European players taken in recent years with 1st round picks have been pretty decent, I'd say.

Its going to be interesting whether there is any discernible change in philosophy or effectiveness of the draft picks with Jarmo gone.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:20 PM
sdaltons

according to blueswede22 on blues talk, this article says Wannstrom has decided to cross the pond next season and will play in the AHL if that's what it takes to get to the NHL.

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...l-nordamerika/

woo!!!

Old
06-14-2012, 04:24 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Strong, determined quote. I like it.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:34 PM
CarvinSigX

I'm surprised to be honest. I haven't been impressed with what I've seen of him so far. Hopefully he'll really grow into the North American game and not quit early like Junland.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:35 PM
sdaltons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I'm surprised to be honest. I haven't been impressed with what I've seen of him so far. Hopefully he'll really grow into the North American game and not quit early like Junland.
yeah him pulling a junland/lehtera is my main concern about him. otherwise, this is the best opportunity we'll get to see what he can do.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Will be interesting to see what he does in camp. He is a solid defensive player but does he have the offensive upside to make it over here? I don't see him as a future 4th line guy but his offensive game worries me.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Robb_K

Great News! Playing with Peoria will be great for his development if he's willing to dig in and work hard to make himself the best player he can be.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:39 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Camp is going to have Oshie, Stewart, Tarasenko, D'Agostini, Rattie, Wannstrom all trying out for scoring line RW roles. Obviously nobody expects the latter two to make the NHL squad but there's plenty of talent in the pipeline.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:45 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
When you said "next season" I thought you were referring to 2012-13 not 1013-14. Of course, thus is the time of year where it gets confusing when "next season" turns into "this season".

You're right though that Rattie will first be eligible to play in the AHL starting in the 2013-14 season. If he plays there or with the Blues is TBD. Technically, he could still play for the Winterhawks that season as a 20 yr old overager but there's no way that happens (overagers are almost always undrafted kids trying one last time to impress a pro team enough to give him a chance).

Rattie's a keeper for sure. He might get a handful of games with the Blues this season but I'd be shocked if he stuck with the team long-term. I think it's almost a guarantee that he'll spend one final season in Jrs. He'll very likely make Canada's WJC team as well. I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops this season.
I personally hate the Rule they 19 y/o's have to play in the CHL. I think Rattie would be better served in the AHL then the CHL as a 19 y/o. I think there should be a rule to exempt one player for each team from going back to the CHL. He's not ready for the NHL IMO but to good for the CHL playing against kids.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I personally hate the Rule they 19 y/o's have to play in the CHL. I think Rattie would be better served in the AHL then the CHL as a 19 y/o. I think there should be a rule to exempt one player for each team from going back to the CHL. He's not ready for the NHL IMO but to good for the CHL playing against kids.
Junior teams couldn't afford to lose almost ALL their stars. It's bad enough for them that they lose the best of them that can make NHL rosters at 19 years old. If they would lose ALL those 18 and 19 year olds that could make AHL rosters, many of those CHL teams would not have enough years of individual players who are of "star" quality to satisfy their local fans. Can you imagine having only 2 years of each star player on your favourite team. Let them continue to have up to 4 years of most of their "stars"-only losing one year each for the top 4-6 players in each league each year.

They are the major development leagues for The NHL (along with The USHL, US College leagues, KHL, SEL and FEL). Let's allow them to flourish, rather than sabotaging them.

Old
06-15-2012, 02:54 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Lou Koric just tweeted that Sebastian Wannstrom plans on coming to the US next season, quoted him as saying "If there is AHL, I will try to develop there. I will take the time, but I will certianly do everthing to make it to the NHL."

Also says that he has already signed a 3 year ELC last year so it would be the second year of his deal.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote