HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

2011-2012 Blues Prospects Thread

Old
06-15-2012, 03:33 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Lou Koric just tweeted that Sebastian Wannstrom plans on coming to the US next season, quoted him as saying "If there is AHL, I will try to develop there. I will take the time, but I will certianly do everthing to make it to the NHL."

Also says that he has already signed a 3 year ELC last year so it would be the second year of his deal.
It'll be the first year of the contract. They call it an entry-level slide. If they don't play enough North American pro games it doesn't start. This is how it worked for a European player like Berglund, for example, but it also applies to CHL prospects like Pietrangelo. Rattie just signed his deal but assuming as most do that he'll spend another year in Portland just means the ELC doesn't start til the year after when his pro career starts in Peoria or at the NHL level.

However if Wannstrom came over and played 15 games for Peoria then went back to Sweden the deal doesn't stay fixed at two years remaining. This is similar to what happened with Lehtera. He came over, played enough games for it to count as a pro year, and this year even though he hadn't played out his ELC years he would have had to sign a new RFA deal.

Last edited by PocketNines: 06-15-2012 at 03:38 PM.
PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:14 AM
STL fan in IA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
It'll be the first year of the contract. They call it an entry-level slide. If they don't play enough North American pro games it doesn't start. This is how it worked for a European player like Berglund, for example, but it also applies to CHL prospects like Pietrangelo. Rattie just signed his deal but assuming as most do that he'll spend another year in Portland just means the ELC doesn't start til the year after when his pro career starts in Peoria or at the NHL level.

However if Wannstrom came over and played 15 games for Peoria then went back to Sweden the deal doesn't stay fixed at two years remaining. This is similar to what happened with Lehtera. He came over, played enough games for it to count as a pro year, and this year even though he hadn't played out his ELC years he would have had to sign a new RFA deal.
Actually, the contract only slides like that if the player signed the contract at age 18 or 19. Wannstrom was 20 when he signed his ELC thus last season did count as the first year and this season would've counted even if he would've stayed in Sweden. From a technical standpoint, the Blues loaned him back to his Swedish team last season.

Quote:
(d) (i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.
This is the same reason why Junland was a RFA after only 2 seasons in Peoria - the first year of his ELC was burned when the Blues loaned him back to Linkoping the year before he came to N.A.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:21 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Actually, the contract only slides like that if the player signed the contract at age 18 or 19. Wannstrom was 20 when he signed his ELC thus last season did count as the first year and this season would've counted even if he would've stayed in Sweden. From a technical standpoint, the Blues loaned him back to his Swedish team last season.

This is the same reason why Junland was a RFA after only 2 seasons in Peoria - the first year of his ELC was burned when the Blues loaned him back to Linkoping the year before he came to N.A.
Ah, nice catch! Totally forgot about him being an overager when the Blues drafted him. I knew he'd signed the ELC one year after being drafted so I was thinking 19 but you're right.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I'm surprised to be honest. I haven't been impressed with what I've seen of him so far. Hopefully he'll really grow into the North American game and not quit early like Junland.
Curious as to what, exactly, you've "seen" of Wännström so far?

8-7-15 in 43 games is not a bad scoring line for a 21-YO third-line forward in the SEL. Yes, he was a minus-5 on the year, but every player ahead of him on the Brynäs scoring parade was also a minus, except for defenseman Mattias Ekholm, who was a plus-1.

Wännström picked up his game, along with the rest of the Brynäs club, in the playoffs. He posted a 2-5-7 scoring line in 17 games, and was a plus-7 for the SEL playoff champions.

In his draft year (2009-10), he led the J20 Superelit in scoring with 30 goals and 55 points in 37 games. The following season, he jumped to the SEL full-time and didn't score much (0-2-2 in 45 games), but he was not getting a lot of ice time at that point, either. His ice time increased this season, and his scoring at that level took a quantum leap forward.

I, for one, am pretty pumped about getting him over here, and playing in Peoria. Once he gets past the adjustment phase, which might take the entire season, he should be a valuable scoring forward at that level.

Depending on how quickly and how well he adjusts to the North American game, could be getting at least a cup of coffee with the Blues before the end of the 2012-13 season, assuming the usual mid-season spate of injuries in St. Louis.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:50 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
All 3 of those guys were 3rd rd picks. I wouldn't exactly consider that "early". I believe the success rate of picks from the 3rd rd and beyond becoming NHLers is historically somewhere around 12%.
Yes they were 3rd round picks, However a couple 2nd Rounders also busted as well, Simon Hjalmarsson in 2007, and Tomas Kana in 2006. Meh, I would just stay away from European Prospects in the 2nd or 3rd based on recent failures for a hit and the uncertany of those prospects coming over to North America.

JustOneB4IDie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:28 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
To be honest Prussian, I've only seen him at the WJC, some highlight videos, and read some reports. By no means do I have a firm grasp on his development.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:16 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Yes they were 3rd round picks, However a couple 2nd Rounders also busted as well, Simon Hjalmarsson in 2007, and Tomas Kana in 2006. Meh, I would just stay away from European Prospects in the 2nd or 3rd based on recent failures for a hit and the uncertany of those prospects coming over to North America.
I guess my point was just that most draft picks, especially those after the 1st rd, don't have more than a cup of coffee in the NHL whether they're from Europe or N.A. That said, I would say that if two players are tied as BPA, I'd certainly go with the N.A. kid over the Euro kid. In fact, I consider where the kid comes from to be a part of the equation in determining BPA. I wouldn't ever make any hard and fast rule about not drafting kids from certain nationalities at certain points in the draft though.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Curious as to what, exactly, you've "seen" of Wännström so far?

8-7-15 in 43 games is not a bad scoring line for a 21-YO third-line forward in the SEL. Yes, he was a minus-5 on the year, but every player ahead of him on the Brynäs scoring parade was also a minus, except for defenseman Mattias Ekholm, who was a plus-1.

Wännström picked up his game, along with the rest of the Brynäs club, in the playoffs. He posted a 2-5-7 scoring line in 17 games, and was a plus-7 for the SEL playoff champions.

In his draft year (2009-10), he led the J20 Superelit in scoring with 30 goals and 55 points in 37 games. The following season, he jumped to the SEL full-time and didn't score much (0-2-2 in 45 games), but he was not getting a lot of ice time at that point, either. His ice time increased this season, and his scoring at that level took a quantum leap forward.

I, for one, am pretty pumped about getting him over here, and playing in Peoria. Once he gets past the adjustment phase, which might take the entire season, he should be a valuable scoring forward at that level.

Depending on how quickly and how well he adjusts to the North American game, could be getting at least a cup of coffee with the Blues before the end of the 2012-13 season, assuming the usual mid-season spate of injuries in St. Louis.
Yeah but he went undrafted his draft year so he was a year older than many of those playing in U20 league, at least in terms of top Swedish talent.

I think its going to help that he is a decent two way player, but there will still certainly be an adjustment playing in North America. Kind of doubt that he sees the NHL next year, you figure he will be behind Cracknell, McRae, and maybe even Grachev (assuming he returns) on the callup list, obviously depending on how they play and who they are replacing.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Yeah but he went undrafted his draft year so he was a year older than many of those playing in U20 league, at least in terms of top Swedish talent.

I think its going to help that he is a decent two way player, but there will still certainly be an adjustment playing in North America. Kind of doubt that he sees the NHL next year, you figure he will be behind Cracknell, McRae, and maybe even Grachev (assuming he returns) on the callup list, obviously depending on how they play and who they are replacing.
This seems the most likely scenario. It will depend upon the manpower situation as to how much time Wänström plays in The NHL next season (IF any at all).

Personally, I think there is a less than 50% chance he plays even one game.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Strickland reporting Blues qualified Jori Lethra.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Strickland reporting Blues qualified Jori Lethra.
They should try to trade his rights while a couple other teams still think he has a good upside and think that there will be a decent chance of them enticing him to come to north America, should he improve enough.

I don't have any faith that he'll ever play in The NHL, due to the fact that he seems to be "casual" about working on improving his weaknesses. Backes worked very hard on his skating, his physicality, his strength and his defensive game, and started doing those things immediately after learning what his deficiencies were from his first meetings with pro coaches.

Players who are dedicated to being the best players they can be are the ones that have a LOT more chance of succeeding. Backes, and Oshie come to mind. Players who don't, like Tomas Kana, have little chance to make much impact.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:38 AM
sdaltons

Dmitrij Jaskin got drafted by Moncton in the CHL draft today. i wonder if they think he's more willing to come over now then he was 2 years ago when Calgary drafted him.

would love to get him to NA early to start adjusting to living here and it would really show that he's dedicated to playing in the NHL.

sdaltons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
Dmitrij Jaskin got drafted by Moncton in the CHL draft today. i wonder if they think he's more willing to come over now then he was 2 years ago when Calgary drafted him.

would love to get him to NA early to start adjusting to living here and it would really show that he's dedicated to playing in the NHL.
Playing in The CHL would certainly help his career. It would force him to get stronger and more physical, to stand up to the increased pounding. It would bring him coaching with a different attitude to a different-style game. It might better round out his game. It would bring to light what scoring skills he has, and might make him or break him, regarding chances to ever play at a high level in North America. I'm all for it.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:46 AM
helgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post

Yeah, he's coming over to QMJHL. Hopefully, playing againts his peers will bring his game to the next level, czech extraleague was still little too much for him...

helgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:55 AM
sdaltons

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgo View Post
Yeah, he's coming over to QMJHL. Hopefully, playing againts his peers will bring his game to the next level, czech extraleague was still little too much for him...
has he said he's coming for sure? because i'm pretty pumped about that, if so.

sdaltons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:01 PM
helgo

Yeah, here is (czech) article, where he himself confirmed it http://translate.google.cz/translate...k%26id%3D57526

helgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:18 PM
stlweir

Good news. We can see if he is an NHL prospect.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:12 PM
STL fan in IA

Very good news. Jaskin seemed like he was a tweeter over in the Czech Rep - beyond the jr league but struggled to get much icetime or opportunity in their top pro league. Playin in the Q, we should be able to see how well he stacks up. He'll also get good exposure to the N.A. game as well as likely get a ton of icetime. Good move for his future IMO.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:36 PM
BlueSinceBirth

Good to hear about Jaskin. I think this will give everyone a much clearer image of his potential after what most consider a wasted season.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:39 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Very good news. Jaskin seemed like he was a tweeter over in the Czech Rep - beyond the jr league but struggled to get much icetime or opportunity in their top pro league. Playin in the Q, we should be able to see how well he stacks up. He'll also get good exposure to the N.A. game as well as likely get a ton of icetime. Good move for his future IMO.
I am hoping this could just be the move he needed to jump start his development further. I was a little down on him after last season. Now I have a lot more hope for him.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:29 PM
execwrite

Great news on Jaskin. Add Moncton to the amateur teams we'll be following this year.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:43 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Great news on Jaskin. Add Moncton to the amateur teams we'll be following this year.
He will be joining Yannick Veilleux there another one of our prospects from that draft year.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Bluenatic
fingers crossed

Nice! Jaskin and Wannstrom are two of the Blues prospects I'm curious about and them both coming to North America next season should give Blues fans an idea of their potential. The fact both are coming over shows commitment to making the NHL IMO. With Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Rattie it's easy to overlook the pair but wow would it be sweet if at least one of them pans out to be a great pick! Also I'm pretty excited about the Schmaltz pick after doing some research on him. In his highlights video on YouTube that goal where he accepts the pass with the skate and then flips it under the crossbar backhand shows this guy has some major offensive potential and that slap shot of his looks nice as well.

Bluenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:57 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
He will be joining Yannick Veilleux there another one of our prospects from that draft year.
Cool - Veilleux was traded to Moncton last week.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Concur... Jaskin has decent size at 6' 2, 198, and has been a key player in the Czech junior league and for the Czech World Junior squads. This is a chance for him to show that his selection at 41st overall was no fluke.

It would be great if he could play on a line with, and develop some chemistry with, Yannick Veilleux.

The 'Cats also have an American-born center, a kid named Brandon Shea, who played 45 games with Moncton last year (3 G, 7 A, 22 PM), and has a June 1995 birthdate, which means he'll be eligible for the draft next summer.

Shea has good size at 6' 2, 200 pounds, and won just under half of his faceoffs last year (217 out of 452)... Just thinking out loud, if Moncton puts him between Veilleux and Jaskin, and the three really take off as a line, you might be looking at a potential 2013 draft pick for the Blues here...

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote