HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Blues Prospects Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-13-2011, 07:21 PM
  #51
stlweir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
Thanks slapshot, any and all reports are appreciated.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 12:01 AM
  #52
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Hi everyone.

I go to Quinnipiac University and they played Clarkson U on Friday night. I went to the game and I think you guys have a real gem in Paul Karpowich. He stole the game for Clarkson considering QU got 43 shots on net while Clarkson only got 11, and the game was a 1-1 tie. He's an excellent goalie you guys should really keep an eye on him.
Thanks for the report. I haven't seen Karpowich play yet this season but he's looked solid every time I've seen him play. Clarkson seems to be a better team this season as they were generally shelled the last few years so it was somewhat hard to get a read on Karp but as I've said before, while Karp isn't a prospect many talk about, my bet is he earns himself a contract this summer. One way or another, I don't think Bishop's going to be in Peoria next season so Karp backing up Allen seems like a perfect fit to me.

STL fan in IA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:04 AM
  #53
kimzey59
Registered User
 
kimzey59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
I haven't gotten a chance to take in any games from the Q just yet; but I have a question for anybody who has.

Stephan MacAuley currently has 16 points in 18 games.
Is he really trying to pull himself off the island of unwanted prospects or are his stats being inflated?

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 02:17 PM
  #54
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
I haven't gotten a chance to take in any games from the Q just yet; but I have a question for anybody who has.

Stephan MacAuley currently has 16 points in 18 games.
Is he really trying to pull himself off the island of unwanted prospects or are his stats being inflated?
I haven't seen any Seadogs games yet this season but I would guess its a combo of him naturally progressing and the team he's on. Teammate Ryan Tesink has 19 pts in 15 games.

STL fan in IA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:50 AM
  #55
stlweir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
After a big weekend Ty Rattie is 3rd in scoring the the WHL. Both players ahead of him are in their final year of juniors.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:37 PM
  #56
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.
 
Mr Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,991
vCash: 500
What was the deal with Sonne? He tore up the WHL when he was an overager, but he's kinda fizzled off into nothing substantial.

From what I can gather, Sonne only had one dominant year, his final year, 2 years after he was drafted. And Rattie has had much more success and earlier. My initial thought was Rattie could follow a similar path, but this doesn't seem likely after looking at only stats. I've never seen Rattie play, and I haven't seen much of Sonne, so this was a presumptuous assumption to begin with!

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:01 PM
  #57
The Note
Unable To Even
 
The Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: STL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,051
vCash: 500
Anybody know what's going on with Allen? He was great last year but his numbers this year are rough. Obviously I don't get to watch the games but just judging by his numbers not so hot

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:39 PM
  #58
stlweir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
Once and for all Sonne was not an overage player his last year in juniors. He played 6games as a 15 year to start his carreer in junior hockey. He was born May 16, 1989. He is 22 years old now and in his 3rd year with Peoria. His second to last year in juniors he was injured and played only 29 games scoring 8 goals with 12 assists. His final yaer of juniors with a powerfull Calgary Hitman team he exploded offensively and was named the WHL player of the year. He played that year in the WJC in mostly a 4th line capacity. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe overage juniors can play in the World Junior Championships. Bottom line, he was not an overage player.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 06:36 PM
  #59
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dangles View Post
What was the deal with Sonne? He tore up the WHL when he was an overager, but he's kinda fizzled off into nothing substantial.

From what I can gather, Sonne only had one dominant year, his final year, 2 years after he was drafted. And Rattie has had much more success and earlier. My initial thought was Rattie could follow a similar path, but this doesn't seem likely after looking at only stats. I've never seen Rattie play, and I haven't seen much of Sonne, so this was a presumptuous assumption to begin with!
Check out my post on page 2 of this thread - post #45 for thoughts on Sonne and how I wouldn't compare Rattie to him. And yes, Sonne wasn't an overager. He was 19 in his last year in Jrs, the same as most Jr players. The term "overager" specifically refers to 20 yr olds. Each CHL Jr team is allowed to have a max of 2 overagers. These guys are usually undrafted guys, and even some drafted guys, who didn't get signed to a pro contract and are trying to earn that contract with one more year of Jrs. As one might expect, these guys generally aren't the most talented or they would be signed already but a lot of them do dominate since they're 20 facing mostly 16-19 yr olds. A lot of them are also offensive dynamos but are very undersized - 5'7", 5'8", etc. who make great Jr players but don't have the size to play the pro game and not enough skill to overcome that big size disadvantage.

Sonne was 19 and in his last year of typical Jr eligibility so he was older than the average WHL player but he wasn't an overager. IMO, him constantly incorrectly being referred to as an overager is simply an example of someone saying a falsehood as fact and others accepting said falsehood as fact and continuing to spread the falsehood, without checking if the info in correct or not understanding that the term overager specifically refers to a 20 yr old. Not that it's a huge deal but like stlweir, I've found it annoying how often this falsehood comes up.

STL fan in IA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:38 PM
  #60
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.
 
Mr Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Check out my post on page 2 of this thread - post #45 for thoughts on Sonne and how I wouldn't compare Rattie to him. And yes, Sonne wasn't an overager. He was 19 in his last year in Jrs, the same as most Jr players. The term "overager" specifically refers to 20 yr olds. Each CHL Jr team is allowed to have a max of 2 overagers. These guys are usually undrafted guys, and even some drafted guys, who didn't get signed to a pro contract and are trying to earn that contract with one more year of Jrs. As one might expect, these guys generally aren't the most talented or they would be signed already but a lot of them do dominate since they're 20 facing mostly 16-19 yr olds. A lot of them are also offensive dynamos but are very undersized - 5'7", 5'8", etc. who make great Jr players but don't have the size to play the pro game and not enough skill to overcome that big size disadvantage.

Sonne was 19 and in his last year of typical Jr eligibility so he was older than the average WHL player but he wasn't an overager. IMO, him constantly incorrectly being referred to as an overager is simply an example of someone saying a falsehood as fact and others accepting said falsehood as fact and continuing to spread the falsehood, without checking if the info in correct or not understanding that the term overager specifically refers to a 20 yr old. Not that it's a huge deal but like stlweir, I've found it annoying how often this falsehood comes up.
Yes, that was a good post, sorry I skipped over it! Also I think it 3 overage players per team, at least according to Wikipedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Once and for all Sonne was not an overage player his last year in juniors. He played 6games as a 15 year to start his carreer in junior hockey. He was born May 16, 1989. He is 22 years old now and in his 3rd year with Peoria. His second to last year in juniors he was injured and played only 29 games scoring 8 goals with 12 assists. His final yaer of juniors with a powerfull Calgary Hitman team he exploded offensively and was named the WHL player of the year. He played that year in the WJC in mostly a 4th line capacity. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe overage juniors can play in the World Junior Championships. Bottom line, he was not an overage player.
Just too add more confusion, this is from HFs depth analysis released on the Blues:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeysFuture
After once putting up 100 points as an overage junior in the WHL, Brett Sonne has become a less spectacular pro in his third season at Peoria.
I knew I had heard he was an overage player and it looks like i'm not the only one who thought so! But thanks for the clarification guys.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:48 AM
  #61
ToBBa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
The first goal for Hakanpää

ToBBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:50 AM
  #62
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24,821
vCash: 130
Does anyone think Rattie could make the team out of camp next season? I haven't been able to see him play, but statistically he is going to be above Juniors next season. I would imagine he would stay another year in Juniors with Tarasenko, Schwartz, and McRae all older than him and Lehtera as the wild card.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:52 AM
  #63
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!
 
SirPaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 9,892
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Does anyone think Rattie could make the team out of camp next season? I haven't been able to see him play, but statistically he is going to be above Juniors next season. I would imagine he would stay another year in Juniors with Tarasenko, Schwartz, and McRae all older than him and Lehtera as the wild card.
TBH I havent really seen him play but I have a hard time believing he will beat out those 3 guys you mentioned, but like I said I havent seen him play so I could be way off base.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:15 PM
  #64
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24,821
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
TBH I havent really seen him play but I have a hard time believing he will beat out those 3 guys you mentioned, but like I said I havent seen him play so I could be way off base.
Yeah, I doubt he beats any of those 3 out, but I was thinking maybe he pulls a Perron and forces management to keep him around. He probably won't do that, but we should have 2-3 years of having very promising rookie forwards on the team.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 01:12 PM
  #65
stlweir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
He put on 10 lbs of muscle during the off season yet I don't know if he weighs more than 175 lbs right now. He needs to build himself up more and he would then have to have a great camp to make the team. Never say never. Hopefully Tarasenko is here next year and I would think Schwartz is going to play again for CC with it being his brothers senior year next season. McRae should have a chance to play as a checking center next year.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 01:37 PM
  #66
FinHockey
KRH Master Race
 
FinHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,390
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBBa View Post
The first goal for Hakanpää
And it was a beauty too.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:57 PM
  #67
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinHockey View Post
And it was a beauty too.
This guy have been very impressive so far. Mark his name in your notebooks and watch him at WJC. Excellent movement for his size, great first passes and great at getting away from pressure. Nice pickup from Kekäläinen.

thomast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 03:17 PM
  #68
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs
 
wilco5886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Champbana
Country: United States
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
This guy have been very impressive so far. Mark his name in your notebooks and watch him at WJC. Excellent movement for his size, great first passes and great at getting away from pressure. Nice pickup from Kekäläinen.
That's great to hear. IMO, he's always been an intriguing prospect, but I never really know how he has been doing. If a guy that size can skate well, he's got no where to go but up.

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 03:24 PM
  #69
Celtic Note
Thanks very little
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 9,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
This guy have been very impressive so far. Mark his name in your notebooks and watch him at WJC. Excellent movement for his size, great first passes and great at getting away from pressure. Nice pickup from Kekäläinen.
Does he have much untapped offensive potential or will he always be defensive defenseman?

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 03:29 PM
  #70
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco5886 View Post
That's great to hear. IMO, he's always been an intriguing prospect, but I never really know how he has been doing. If a guy that size can skate well, he's got no where to go but up.
I actualy disliked him before. He didn't have confidence at all, it seemed that he was scared to make mistakes. Now he is full of confidence, supporting attacks, being rock solid at the defence. He's smart with the puck, when he has the puck in pressure he doesen't want to throw an icing or just throw the puck away from own-zone. He actualy makes plays to maintain the puck posession for his team. He actualy skates to better position and passes to team mate or skates past foward and pass after that. The quality of his passes are excellent. This guy gonna be star in FEL someday, will he make into NHL? time will tell. Now it looks promising.

thomast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:33 PM
  #71
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Does he have much untapped offensive potential or will he always be defensive defenseman?
He does have untapped offensive potential. He has a good vision, hes calm with the puck and has a super hard slapshot, which sometimes is a bit slow to wind. He doesn't have very soft hands but is solid enough with the puck. As his confidence and skating ability have gotten better he sometimes joins the rush, today he scored his first pro goal with a hard wrister to the top corner while leading the rush. He still is foremost a defensive player but he does have that offensive upside aswell, so who knows how far he will go.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco5886
That's great to hear. IMO, he's always been an intriguing prospect, but I never really know how he has been doing. If a guy that size can skate well, he's got no where to go but up.
He never will be like Victor Hedman with his speed, but he's surprisingly agile and has good top speed. Not the best acceleration. He still looks quite lanky at 6'6, 215lbs, so there's plenty of room to beef up the legs which should improve his explosiveness.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:46 PM
  #72
Celtic Note
Thanks very little
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 9,547
vCash: 500
Thanks for all the updates on Hakanpää. Please continue to do so!

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 04:57 PM
  #73
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 12,622
vCash: 500
Looks like we're once again in the top 10 for prospects. Add that to the youth we already have on our team, and it seems like we are going to be set both now and the future.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 05:54 PM
  #74
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man
 
rumrokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Looks like we're once again in the top 10 for prospects. Add that to the youth we already have on our team, and it seems like we are going to be set both now and the future.
Outside of the top-end guys, the most notable quality of the Blues' prospect pool is depth. It's unlikely that most of those guys become impact players, but there are so many who have a slightly better shot than most. A worse prospect pool could certainly end up with more NHL players, but the odds are with the Blues. That's why it's important to perpetually build through the draft. One year of dealt picks doesn't necessarily hurt you, but two straight of dealing first rounders and/or second rounders can move a strong pool to an average one.

I expect the Blues to enter an era of dealing from prospects and picks possibly in the next couple of months. It'll be interesting to see how quickly and heavily they make that shift and what the prospect pool looks like afterwards.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 12:02 PM
  #75
tfriede2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,272
vCash: 500
Rattie continues to impress. After being held scoreless last Saturday, he notched 5 points (3 goals, 2 assists) in the next 2 games this week. He now has 23 goals, 20 assists in 25 games this year. He's 3rd in WHL scoring.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.