HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Blues Prospects Thread

Old
12-06-2011, 08:36 PM
STL fan in IA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I'm getting the impression that you haven't seen much of his play. His offensive talents aren't what I would consider "ordinary", nor are they really recent developments (i.e. a product of relative age, or a possible fluke). He's had very notable offensive talents for quite some time. (He was drafted #2 behind Nugent-Hopkins in the 2008 Bantam draft). I think he's a small step below Schwartz overall in that area, but that's mostly because Schwartz's hockey IQ and vision are better...not because Schwartz has the higher skill level. IMO Rattie has true "plus" puck skills, and above average passing, shooting, and vision. I haven't seen him enough to nail down exactly what I think of his hockey IQ though. Sometimes it looks great, and sometimes it looks like he's trying to force a bit too much. It's hard to tell if that's going to be a chronic "problem" down the road, or if he's simply pushing boundaries when he thinks he can get away with it with the intention of simplifying his game appropriately as the quality of competition increases. He seems like an intelligent kid, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

The only real "weaknesses" to his game that I see are universal to almost every prospect. He needs to develop physically, which he'll do as long as he puts in the time and has the desire, and he needs to work on his play without the puck. Usually, that's also simply a question of time and desire. For what it's worth, I've never heard anything that questions his work ethic, but I don't have any firsthand knowledge of that either.

I understand why you're not willing to give him much credit for his accomplishments to this point, but I'm fairly confident that he'll be moving up your personal rankings smartly as time goes on.
This is pretty much how I see it as well. I don't question his hockey sense though. He has things to learn in the mental game defensively but he has plus offensive hockey sense IMO. He's very talented, even taking into account that a lot of Jr players are talented. Good shot, has a nose for the net and is a pretty good playmaker too. Like most teenagers though, he needs to continue to add muscle and improve his defensive game. He's not an overly physical player but I don't see him shy away from hits though either. I see him with the potential to be a good 2nd line winger.

I hope Ty makes Canada's WJC team as that would be excellent experience for him but with the depth Canada has to pull from (even with a lot of eligible players already in the NHL) he might be on the outside looking in. He'll have to do well in Canada's camp and IMO, the best way he can make the team is to show a good two-way game in camp, not just pop in goals in the scrimmages.

STL fan in IA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
He just doesn't seem like he's got that one or two special elements to his game that will allow him to seperate himself and become more than 'just a guy'. He's got offense... but hundreds of junior kids have had that before and couldn't become NHL'ers...is his skillset so outstanding that it will make up for weaknesses in other areas? The coaching staff obviously thought highly of his offense during training camp...but he's not going to make it as a one-trick pony...unless that one trick is Brett Hull-like.

I just dont get excited about junior hockey stats because I've seen enough kids fail to develop the rest of their game and instead hang their hopes of stardom on scoring...and when they bring their game up a notch against full-grown men who can actually skate backwards and play defense or try to score against a goalie who actually knows what he's doing, more often than not it's not as easy as it was in junior hockey.

It's not that I want Rattie to fail...it's just that I don't see the all-world hands of a Perron...or combination of tenacity and two-way skill like an Oshie or BackesBackes had big time skating issues in college and had to go to Europe for atleast one clinic during one of the summers. He really was a bit of a question mark even in college. He had size, but he wasn't close to the offense that Jaden has shown. Without a lot of work on his skating - I don't think Backes would be the player he is.. Both of those guys had NHLer written on them in college, because even if their offense didnt translate to the bigs, other elements of their game would allow them to be successful. If Rattie can beat up on AHL defenses, then I'll move him up in my rankings...but until then he's behind Schwartz, Tarasenko, Cole, Allen, McRae, Lehtera, Jaskin (who resembles a raw Backes to me...according to the scouting reports) and maybe Fairchild/Cundari (who are having success in the pros). Give him time, he may be worthy of a top-5 ranking at some point...but I think it's a little premature at this point to vault him into the upper echelon of prospects based on his play against guys whom 90% of have no future in the sport.
For me, going to the prospect tourney each year has helped. It is a way to watch people develop in the same tourney against simular competition - you can watch as a player grows and his game changes.

Having watched guys like Berglund, Johnson dominate the competition and someone like McRae grow from one year to the next. I can say that Rattie's offensive game is now at a higher level then McRae's at the same age by quite a bit. He was on the top line for a reason and it had to do with his hands.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Mr. T

Two goals for Rattie at the first intermission. That's 30 in 30.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Two goals for Rattie at the first intermission. That's 30 in 30.
What a season he is putting together.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Hat trick, make that 31 in 30

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:02 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Rattie completed the hat trick tonight.

30 Games: 31 Goals, 27 Assists, +8

That's good for 1st overall in goals scored, 8th overall in assists, and 2nd overall in points in the WHL. He's also 1st in PPG with 15.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:05 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Rattie completed the hat trick tonight.

30 Games: 31 Goals, 27 Assists, +8

That's good for 1st overall in goals scored, 8th overall in assists, and 2nd overall in points in the WHL. He's also 1st in PPG with 15.
Geez, he is having a tremendous season. I wonder where he will end up on the Canadian roster. He has to be lock to make it, I just wonder what type of impact he will have and it could really sky rocket his value.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:33 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Geez, he is having a tremendous season. I wonder where he will end up on the Canadian roster. He has to be lock to make it, I just wonder what type of impact he will have and it could really sky rocket his value.
He doesn't appear to be a lock. Check out the Canadian WJC thread on the prospects board and a majority are posting rosters that don't include Rattie.

I'd say he has about a 50/50 shot. If they go with a highly offensive lineup I think he makes it. If they go with a more balanced lineup, which is how they usually do it, I don't like his chances as much. Rattie's got 2 things going against him - Canada has better two-way players than him and he's still only 18 so the 19 yr olds will have an edge there too.

Old
12-07-2011, 04:39 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
He doesn't appear to be a lock. Check out the Canadian WJC thread on the prospects board and a majority are posting rosters that don't include Rattie.

I'd say he has about a 50/50 shot. If they go with a highly offensive lineup I think he makes it. If they go with a more balanced lineup, which is how they usually do it, I don't like his chances as much. Rattie's got 2 things going against him - Canada has better two-way players than him and he's still only 18 so the 19 yr olds will have an edge there too.
However he is a natural winger, so he does have that going for them, as Canada usually has a surplus of centers and a shortage of wingers

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:15 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

For those of you who watch First Row streams, they seem to be adding the Czech league games. Jaskin's team wasn't playing today, but I've been curious about him. He's got 1 assist in 19 games. Granted, it's a men's league, but a) it's only a Czech men's league and b) on Jaskin's team there's a kid a year younger than him who has 15 pts and is the 3d leading scorer.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post

Off topic,

But congrats IA for being named a moderator.

Your one of my favs to read here and on the asylum. Keep up the good work.

P.s. Dont give me an infraction for saying that a trade proposal "was the dumbest things i've read, and coming from this place that's saying something"

It was in reference to a Spezza trade. An Ottawa fan said the only way they would trade Spezza to St. Louis if it was for Pietrangelo, Oshie, Steen and this years 1st

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:02 AM
ToBBa

Goal for Hakanpää

E: 1+1 after the second period

Last edited by ToBBa: 12-10-2011 at 11:34 AM.
ToBBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:50 AM
execwrite

Knee surgery for Tesink.

Out until January (?). Must not be major surgery.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:17 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Knee surgery for Tesink.

Out until January (?). Must not be major surgery.
Yeah, that's too bad although it must just be a fairly minor scope or something if he's just going to be a month or so.

Tesink's having a very good season with 25 pts in 20 games thus far. Granted, he's on an absolutely loaded team (last season's Memorial Cup champs and they returned all of their stars) but he's a good player with a ton of heart. I'm still shocked he lasted all the way to the 6th rd of the draft.

The Blues 2010 6th rounder also plays for the Sea Dogs - Stephen MacAulay but he doesn't quite have the offensive abilities Tesink has. I see Tesink as having 3rd to 4th line NHL potential with a fairly good chance of making it and MacAulay with 4th line potential with fairly tough odds of making it. The Blues have until 6/1/12 to sign MacAulay or lose his rights so I'll be interested if they're impressed enough with his play to sign him. They have until 6/1/13 to sign Tesink...and at this point, I don't see why they wouldn't.

I'll also note that 2011 4th rounder Yannick Veilleux is having a solid season as an 18 yr old in the QMJHL with 25 pts in 27 games.

Old
12-10-2011, 01:43 PM
SoupyFIN
#freePirri

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBBa View Post
Goal for Hakanpää

E: 1+1 after the second period
Hakanpää had 1+1, +1, 3 shots and 14.51 of icetime against Ässät as Blues lost 5-3.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 02:35 PM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

I'm really starting to get excited about Hakanpaa. Can't wait to watch him at the WJC. And, I was gonna post this in another thread but figured it was more appropriate here, love the avatar SirPaste.

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco5886 View Post
I'm really starting to get excited about Hakanpaa. Can't wait to watch him at the WJC. And, I was gonna post this in another thread but figured it was more appropriate here, love the avatar SirPaste.
Physically he's a monster...with just as much size and upside as Ponich and Edmundson. Hopefully he can keep developing because he could be a great addition to a D-group that has gotten smaller and smaller over the years.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 03:15 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
Physically he's a monster...with just as much size and upside as Ponich and Edmundson. Hopefully he can keep developing because he could be a great addition to a D-group that has gotten smaller and smaller over the years.
Agreed. We need to draft big, left-handed d-men in 2012.

Old
12-10-2011, 05:36 PM
stlweir

Brock Beukeboom

Anyone have any info about his play. 19 games, 0g, 5 assists, +12, 12PIM. Is he an NHL prospect?

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 06:27 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
For those of you who watch First Row streams, they seem to be adding the Czech league games. Jaskin's team wasn't playing today, but I've been curious about him. He's got 1 assist in 19 games. Granted, it's a men's league, but a) it's only a Czech men's league and b) on Jaskin's team there's a kid a year younger than him who has 15 pts and is the 3d leading scorer.
10 pts. in 33 games last year for Praha.

Hated this pick, being dead set on Miikka Salomaki at either 41 or 46(taken by Nashville at 52). I'm going to go ahead and file him away with Tomas Kana in the "blown 2nd rounders that will never play here anyway" folder.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 06:28 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Anyone have any info about his play. 19 games, 0g, 5 assists, +12, 12PIM. Is he an NHL prospect?
I never really paid much attention to Brock the past couple of years since he wasn't a Blues prospect at the time so I was hoping to see how he would do at the Traverse City tourney and in training camp but unfortunately, he missed both due to injury. Because of that, I don't have a great feel for his game but I've never really seen him as a great prospect or anything but he probably shouldn't be completely dismissed at this point.

Including Brock, the Blues quite a few questionable D prospects - guys who have potential to one day reach the NHL but are by no means sure-fire picks. After Cole, the futures of the rest of the D prospects gets pretty fuzzy IMO. Out of the group of Ponich, Edmundson, Fairchild, Hakanpaa, Cundari, Beukeboom, Junland, Eronen and Shields, I like Edmundson, Fairchild, Hakanpaa and Cundari the best. They all have a ways to go although Fairchild recently showed that he can hang in the NHL. I'm looking forward to seeing how well Hakanpaa performs in the WJC as well.

Old
12-10-2011, 06:46 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post

Hated this pick, being dead set on Miikka Salomaki at either 41 or 46(taken by Nashville at 52). I'm going to go ahead and file him away with Tomas Kana in the "blown 2nd rounders that will never play here anyway" folder.
I was rooting for the Jaskin pick but it's looking shaky now. Still too early to "Kana"nize him though.

Old
12-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Blues0307

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post

Yeah, the Jaskin pick has me scratching my head so far, but if we're able to hit on our other 2 second round picks, it won't be a big deal if he busts, honestly. Anyone know if he's expected to play in the WJC?

Edit: Looks like he's a lock. Look forward to seeing this kid.

Last edited by Blues0307: 12-11-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:35 AM
execwrite

Hakanpaa and Jaskin are on the training camp rosters.

I guess Schwartz and maybe Rattie are our other candidates.

Old
12-11-2011, 12:41 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Hakanpaa and Jaskin are on the training camp rosters.

I guess Schwartz and maybe Rattie are our other candidates.
Yeah, Schwartz, Hakanpaa and Jaskin are locks while Rattie's a maybe. I was hoping Niklas Lundstrom would get one of the goalie spots for Sweden but it looks like a couple guys a year older than him will get the nod. Lundstrom's probably a virtual lock for next year though.