HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Blues Prospects Thread

Old
12-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Keke

vCash: 500
Jani Hakanpää is the alternate captain of Team Finland in WJC http://leijonat.fi/index.php/maajouk...-kisoihin.html

Keke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:52 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

It's a shame you can be 18 and lead all of Canadian juniors in scoring by a few goals and reportedly look good in camp and still be an underdog to a guy who plays for the coach.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:53 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

If you want to get a glimpse of 7th round defenseman from this past draft, Teemu Eronen, he and Jarmo's Jokerit team are apparently being streamed on First Row at 11:15 eastern, 10:15 central (that's math).

Stats say he has 4G, 7A, 11P in 23GP which is pretty decent for a d-man. He's also already 21. Last year he had 13pts in 48GP to give a sense of his stats bumping up since the draft. Shoots left.

Last edited by PocketNines: 12-16-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old
12-16-2011, 03:35 PM
stlweir

Interesting that Hockey's Future has Mark Stone as their prospect of the month when he wasn't even voted player of the month in the WHL, Rattie was. Oh Well at least Jaden Schwartz was an honorable mention.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

A little update on Brock Beukeboom as I've seen Niagara play a few times in December.

I think he's got himself on a good track now. He's finally healthy and has really fit in well in Niagara.

He's keeping things simple now and it's caused a spike in his defensive game, which has become rock solid. He's still a physical player, but he seems to be playing smarter and taking less undisciplined penalties.

His outlet pass seems smoother too and he's not trying to do too much in his own end.

He definitely finally seems to be turning the corner (and this is coming from a guy who has never been his biggest supporter).

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 07:06 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
It's a shame you can be 18 and lead all of Canadian juniors in scoring by a few goals and reportedly look good in camp and still be an underdog to a guy who plays for the coach.
I'm going to take a wild guess you're referring to Brendan Gallagher making Canada's WJC team over Rattie. Rattie had a decent shot...until Connolly and Smith-Pelly were released from their NHL teams to play in the tourney. Gallagher's going to be one of the 4th line checking/energy guys. Rattie and Gallagher were competing for different spots. Rattie's very likely to make the team next year though.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Blues0307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
A little update on Brock Beukeboom as I've seen Niagara play a few times in December.

I think he's got himself on a good track now. He's finally healthy and has really fit in well in Niagara.

He's keeping things simple now and it's caused a spike in his defensive game, which has become rock solid. He's still a physical player, but he seems to be playing smarter and taking less undisciplined penalties.

His outlet pass seems smoother too and he's not trying to do too much in his own end.

He definitely finally seems to be turning the corner (and this is coming from a guy who has never been his biggest supporter).
Thanks for the update, Brock, don't be a stranger. You seeing his potential upside as a 3rd pairing guy in the NHL or you think he's a long shot?

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
Thanks for the update, Brock, don't be a stranger. You seeing his potential upside as a 3rd pairing guy in the NHL or you think he's a long shot?
I think he definitely has the potential to develop into a capable NHL defenseman (in that 4-6 range).

He's just got to keep on refining his game. Stay out of the box, while maintaining a high level of physicality. Improve his skating. Keep working on his first pass and ability to work through a forecheck.

I'm sure he'll go through some growing pains when he turns pro, adjusting to the speed of the pro game. But I could see him slowly developing into what Adam McQuaid has become for the Bruins, taking a similar development path.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
I think he definitely has the potential to develop into a capable NHL defenseman (in that 4-6 range).

He's just got to keep on refining his game. Stay out of the box, while maintaining a high level of physicality. Improve his skating. Keep working on his first pass and ability to work through a forecheck.

I'm sure he'll go through some growing pains when he turns pro, adjusting to the speed of the pro game. But I could see him slowly developing into what Adam McQuaid has become for the Bruins, taking a similar development path.
Good to hear. I wasn't happy with what we got for Brewer. Now, I feel a little better.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:04 PM
execwrite

Quote:

Do you think Beukeboom will stay in the OHL another year or head to Peoria next season? There's no reason to rush him.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:29 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:

Brock, thanks for the update on Brock.

That makes me feel a little better about him as I didn't have the best impression of him before.

Regarding him staying in jrs another year, I don't think so. The Blues have to sign him by 6/1/12 to retain his rights and I've never heard of a kid that's 20 and just got signed being returned to the OHL before. Pretty much the only reason some kids play a 5th year at age 20 is because no pro team has signed them yet.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Robb_K

I look forward to seeing him muture and his game develop, starting next year at Peoria. He'll need 2-3 years there before he'll be NHL ready (only 2 with good luck).

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 06:42 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I look forward to seeing him muture and his game develop, starting next year at Peoria. He'll need 2-3 years there before he'll be NHL ready (only 2 with good luck).
It would be nice to have Beukeboom and Hakanpaa at Peoria next season.

Old
12-18-2011, 07:42 AM
stlweir

Rattie with a goal and 2 assists last night moves into 2nd place in the WHL in scoring and leads the league in goals scored with 33 in 33 games.

6' 2" LW Yannick Veilleix is having a solid season in the Q with 17 goals and 14 assists in 31 games.

Last edited by stlweir: 12-18-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: addition
stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Brock, thanks for the update on Brock.

That makes me feel a little better about him as I didn't have the best impression of him before.

Regarding him staying in jrs another year, I don't think so. The Blues have to sign him by 6/1/12 to retain his rights and I've never heard of a kid that's 20 and just got signed being returned to the OHL before. Pretty much the only reason some kids play a 5th year at age 20 is because no pro team has signed them yet.
It happens, just not very often. Usually with players who may be struggling with the pro game...or in situations where the farm team just doesn't have enough room. Look no farther than Scott Stajcer (of Owen Sound) this year. A Rangers draft pick and signee, who's back in the OHL as an overager this year.

Because of the injury problems he's had in the OHL, Beukeboom could definitely be a candidate to play an overage season in the OHL next year...especially given the Blues' depth at the minor league level. But he could just as easily play in the AHL/ECHL.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:13 PM
execwrite

Pre-tournament game tonite with the matchup the whole hockey world has been waiting for - Schwartz vs. Hakanpaa.

Go Baby Blues!

Old
12-20-2011, 11:34 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Jado was the best forward for Team Canada yesterday.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:33 PM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421
10 pts. in 33 games last year for Praha.

Hated this pick, being dead set on Miikka Salomaki at either 41 or 46(taken by Nashville at 52). I'm going to go ahead and file him away with Tomas Kana in the "blown 2nd rounders that will never play here anyway" folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
Yeah, the Jaskin pick has me scratching my head so far, but if we're able to hit on our other 2 second round picks, it won't be a big deal if he busts, honestly. Anyone know if he's expected to play in the WJC?

Edit: Looks like he's a lock. Look forward to seeing this kid.
I think we need to be careful about labeling picks as "busts" when they haven't even reached 19 years of age yet (comment more directed towards TK). Jaskin's lack of points this year is concerning, but we don't know how he's being played (3rd line, 2nd line, spare minutes, etc.)? Remember Rundblad's seemingly awful season before we traded him, and Tarasenko's season last year when his stats regressed? Just as we shouldn't get too high on prospects based on their stats (see Sonne), we also shouldn't get too low on them as well.

With that said, Jaskin appears set to get some good playing time in the WJC. In 2 exhibition games, he has 2 goals and 1 assist. This tournament will allow us to gauge his game a little better (hopefully some of the Czech games are on tv so we can watch).

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 06:46 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

There's a kid (Hertl) a year younger than Jaskin on Praha with 15 pts whereas Jaskin has one point. Stats aren't everything but it's still only the Czech league. Something's not right.

Old
12-25-2011, 08:36 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(°o°)ϵ

Quote:
There's a kid (Hertl) a year younger than Jaskin on Praha with 15 pts whereas Jaskin has one point. Stats aren't everything but it's still only the Czech league. Something's not right.
Eh, Jaskin's the second youngest player on that team and most of the one's above him aren't exactly lighting it up either. The leading scorer on the team has 19 points in 32 games.

He's played 10 games this year in the men's league a tier below the top league and put up 8 points, and he's scored well thus far in the WJC, so I doesn't look like his scoring touch has completely abandoned him. I don't have access to any of those games, though, so I can't ever watch him to see what's going on. Was he getting PP time last year that he's not getting this year? Has he simply regressed? Is he playing reduced minutes as a coaching decision because of the quality of his play? Is he playing fewer minutes simply because the team went out and signed some better guys, thus pushing him into a checking role because that's all they need/trust him to do? Do his linemates suck? Is an injury bugging him? I have no idea at all.

The two NHL comps of his upside that I saw were a "better skating Latendresse" and a "less skilled Bobby Ryan", to give you an idea of what scouts were seeing in him. The gist of the scouting reports was that he was a big, strong, banger who used his size/strength well along the boards, protected the puck well with his body, played a NA/pro style of game, had a solid work ethic, finished his hits, had decent hands and a heavy shot, who needed to work on his skating and consistency. That sort of scouting report generally indicates a fairly slow development curve. That also seems very much like a guy who might be used in a checking role until he reaches the point where he can consistently use his (improving?) size/physicality, or improved to generate scoring opportunities against men. In the CHL against kids, he's probably putting up decent numbers. In a men's league, I wouldn't necessarily expect it (at least not with any consistency) given his skill set and age...but it would still be nice to have some idea of what's actually going on over there.

He seems like the sort of guy we're really not going to have much of a grasp on until he's 22 to 24, barring some radical leap forward in his development.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:04 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Fair points, all. The Blues aren't in a rush. If he doesn't pan out it doesn't hurt them. On First Row they actually seem to stream some Czech games but I haven't seen one with Slavia Praha (and he's at WJC anyway). Very much curious about him at WJC.

Old
12-28-2011, 02:11 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(°o°)ϵ

Quote:
Fair points, all. The Blues aren't in a rush. If he doesn't pan out it doesn't hurt them. On First Row they actually seem to stream some Czech games but I haven't seen one with Slavia Praha (and he's at WJC anyway). Very much curious about him at WJC.
It seems a fair number of the Czech fans like him as a player, and he seems to be routinely finding the scoresheet, but the chatter is admittedly sparse and I haven't been able to watch any of his games myself. I'm getting enough flack as it is for carving out time to watch the Blues games at the expense of attending other family obligations.

I'm sure there will be plenty of Blues fans who have a chance to see him while they're watching Canada take on the Czechs tomorrow. Perhaps some of them will be good enough to relay their thoughts after the game. (Not that I expect the game tomorrow to be representative of his ability relative to peers in his age group...especially when it comes to getting on the scoresheet. I expect Canada to smoke the Czechs, so it will be hard for any of the Czechs to come out of it looking "good" in that regard, but perhaps they can give us a scouting report on where the subtler aspects of his game stand.)

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 02:14 AM
Muuri

Lehterä getting a concussion from blindside hit.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:48 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Wow that was a dirty garbage hit by former nothing Blues pick Evgeny Skachkov. Utter non-reaction from anyone, including the home Sibir fans. Happened on Christmas. Looks like Skachkov wasn't even penalized.

Old
12-28-2011, 02:34 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

In the 2d, Berra's Davos team is currently shutting out Allen's Canadian team 2-0. It's streaming on First Row. Allen just allowed a long goal from the blue line. They really gotta sign Elliott. Allen's having a terrible year.