HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Blues Prospects Thread

Old
12-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
Peter Sejna just scored to make it 3-1 Davos. I hate to see my country get further behind because of a one-time Blues' failure.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Robb_K

It's now 7-1! Not a good day for the Canadian team. They looked lost. This shows you what a team that's been playing together for a long time can do to a recently-assembled team that has just had a few practises and games together.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 08:16 AM
stlweir

Rattie with a hat trick and an assist last night now leads the WHL in scoring by 2 points. 36 goals in 35 games.

Villieux has 19 goals and 13 assists in 32 games.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Rattie with a hat trick and an assist last night now leads the WHL in scoring by 2 points. 36 goals in 35 games.

Villieux has 19 goals and 13 assists in 32 games.
I think Villieux could be quite a steal for us, hope he keeps it up

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:16 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Didn't see this posted.

Schwart article.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:14 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Hakanpää was BEAST in WJC

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:11 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Lehtera's back from his concussion. Playing right now (First Row). On a different line than Tarasenko though.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:25 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Lehtera's back from his concussion. Playing right now (First Row). On a different line than Tarasenko though.
Thanks for the heads up. Good to see him back. They need to go ahead and reunite the ELT line now.

BTW Tarasenko also seriously needs to bring some of those sexy Russian cheerleaders with him when he comes to St.Louis. It should be part of his contract.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:50 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Absolutely. They remind me of the cheerleaders in Any Given Sunday. Also I'm getting a kick out of that four year old behind the visitors' bench. She's having fun.

Tarasenko had a nice defensive strip in his own zone and took it end to end on the defender but couldn't score. Very fast, very north-south, lotta power. Love watching this kid play. Worth losing the sleep.

To those fans not watching, I'd say he'd remind you of Perron in the sense of frequent impact – how often when Perron's on the ice he's doing something interesting/impactful is about how often you can say the same of Tarasenko. It's not every shift but it's a lot of shifts where he's involved. Tarasenko's game involves a lot more speed and power than Perron's. He has those nine of hearts moves in his toolbox as well. He doesn't play as much of a slow-things-down game as Perron does, so the mix of those two on a line with, say, Backes, could be lethal. Really, he's going to step right in and be effective.

Funny to see Bartecko and Hellstrom on the other team. Bartecko is clearly the other team's go-to forward.

Lehtera looks pretty good out there too tonight. Really wish he'd be willing to play in Peoria and work on his skating because he's got the skill and size.

Old
01-06-2012, 04:51 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

I've been watching the game as well, although I'll probably only catch one more period before I have to hit the sack since we're leaving town (again) tomorrow.

Anyway, I love watching this kid play. He's going to fit in wonderfully here.

Old
01-06-2012, 05:18 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
To those fans not watching, I'd say he'd remind you of Perron in the sense of frequent impact – how often when Perron's on the ice he's doing something interesting/impactful is about how often you can say the same of Tarasenko. It's not every shift but it's a lot of shifts where he's involved. Tarasenko's game involves a lot more speed and power than Perron's. He has those nine of hearts moves in his toolbox as well. He doesn't play as much of a slow-things-down game as Perron does, so the mix of those two on a line with, say, Backes, could be lethal. Really, he's going to step right in and be effective.
I agree. Love the way he's always in the dirty areas, the way he uses his body, and his power moves to the net. Hell, there's a ton of things I really like about his game (as he pots a goal right now).

With regards to his "nine o' hearts" ability, I don't think his hands are quite as quick as Perron's are, but that's a pretty high standard.

I've been watching his defensive zone exits to see if he's cheating, but I have yet to see him fly the zone before his team has complete control. Once they get control in a transition area, though, he's taking off like a rocket. If his team had a better transition game, he would be even more dangerous than he already is. With the Blues, that's going to be a real addition to the team's arsenal. Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, etc. are going to love having him around. (I say as it looks like he pots another. Maybe he got the assist...hard to tell who pushed it in from the crease.)

Old
01-06-2012, 05:21 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Nevermind, the boxscore I'm flashing up doesn't have him listed on the second goal. I thought he got a piece of it, but I guess not. He was right there banging away for it though. Love that aggressiveness.

Edit: Now the official KHL site has him listed for an assist...1+1 for him so far tonight after two. Unfortunately I won't be able to watch the third so someone else will have to give a complete report later.

Old
01-06-2012, 06:07 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Eh, so I lied about going to bed. I meant to, but by the time I was ready the third period was about to begin. I'll pay for it tomorrow.

Anyway, Tarasenko now 2+1 after a netting a goal on a partial break sprung off a great stretch pass. Sibir is up 3-2 late in the 3rd.

It seems to me that Tarasenko is always the high man in the defensive zone, which I assume is by design for the very reason I made this post. I do think he's going to need to back-check a bit harder in the NHL under Hitchcock. I don't think he's outright lazy in that regard, since he's always between "his man" and the goal and he's shown a willingness to close with speed when the situation calls for it. I just think Hitchcock has a higher expectation in that regard than many coaches. I don't think Tarasenko will have a problem adapting to that.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 01-06-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old
01-06-2012, 06:15 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Tarasenko finishes the night 2+2 as Sibir wins 4-2.

Old
01-06-2012, 06:20 AM
h22prelude93

Loved the Rammstein in the background....lol. According to Sibir's site 2+2 today for the young Russian Tank(not sure if the one on Enlund's goal officially counts though as it also shows Lehtera with the helper), and Sibir wins with a 4-2 final!

Old
01-06-2012, 06:44 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I just think Hitchcock has a higher expectation in that regard than many coaches. I don't think Tarasenko will have a problem adapting to that.
Definitely, with his speed and physicality I think he should fit just fine in Hitchcock's system.
Quote:
Lehtera looks pretty good out there too tonight. Really wish he'd be willing to play in Peoria and work on his skating because he's got the skill and size.
I don't think it's as much of Lehtera not having the ability to skate fast as much as it is him not needing to. There were a few times there were he really turned on the jets this game and you could swear it was a completely different player. Although I totally agree it will probably still take a commitment from Lehtera to play in Peoria after Sibir's season ends, along with a strong off-season regimen, for him to even be considered for making the Blues roster. We'll see...The Blues have a lot of time and energy invested in him so anything could happen.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
I don't think it's as much of Lehtera not having the ability to skate fast as much as it is him not needing to. There were a few times there were he really turned on the jets this game and you could swear it was a completely different player. Although I totally agree it will probably still take a commitment from Lehtera to play in Peoria after Sibir's season ends, along with a strong off-season regimen, for him to even be considered for making the Blues roster. We'll see...The Blues have a lot of time and energy invested in him so anything could happen.
Lehterä trains with Ville Nieminen in the off-season and you couldn't have a much better training partner. He said this in an article on Finnish hockey magazine Jääkiekkolehti last month. He also said that if the Blues come calling, no amount of money is going to keep him in Russia.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 03:02 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Couple things. On Lehtera, if the Blues come calling, it won't be the same as calling for Tarasenko. With Tarasenko there's just no way he sees the minors because some of what he does is better than any current Blue. With Lehtera, not as much this game (very nice to see him come back after missing a few games with concussion from that blindside hit) but other games I've seen he seemed very slow in his zone-to-zone speed. Sub-NHL level slow. Believe me, I'd love to have not noticed it because then I'd be pressing to make sure to get him over here.

What I meant by the nine o hearts stuff on Tarasenko is in other games I've seen him do some of those kick-the-puck-to-himself moves at high speed while on a rush where my jaw dropped. He's got some of that ability and it comes out every once in awhile.

On flying the zone, yes, this game he was noticeably decent backchecking. He clearly can do it and on a smaller ice surface in a system where he's got all his teammates also supporting puck retrieval it's going to be easier for him to do it. Hitchcock will premise him getting ice time on doing it. In some other games I've seen he hasn't been as aggressive with the backcheck. But Russian systems seem to want the d-men to spend their energy deep in their own zone/corners winning back the puck while the forwards mostly carry the puck up ice. With the Blues, the forwards do more help retrieving the puck along the boards in puck battles and the defensemen do more rushing the puck. It's just an assignment difference from what I can tell, which makes sense because chasing forwards farther into the corners on a wider ice surface requires more energy from defensemen than it would in the NHL.

Bottom line is I can't see why Tarasenko wouldn't adapt fine. Also, is the C new? Feels like he's been wearing an A prior. They don't show tons of closeups so I could've missed it but wonder if our Russian friends know the answer.

Old
01-06-2012, 04:19 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Also, is the C new? Feels like he's been wearing an A prior. They don't show tons of closeups so I could've missed it but wonder if our Russian friends know the answer.
Their normal captain is injured.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:25 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Lehterä trains with Ville Nieminen in the off-season and you couldn't have a much better training partner. He said this in an article on Finnish hockey magazine Jääkiekkolehti last month. He also said that if the Blues come calling, no amount of money is going to keep him in Russia.
Here's what JD had to say after last time he visited Lehtera and Tarasenko a few months back at the Karjala Cup tournament in Finland:
Quote:
"He's having a good year," Davidson said. "He had just had a scope on his knee, so he was going to be out for another week or so. He's a kid that's really fit. He's rededicated himself to training and he's had a real good year.
"We'll watch and see how he does the rest of the year and we'll see about him for next season. These guys, they have a great option in the KHL as opposed to the American League. It's called 'cash.' They get paid a lot of money there. So they have a good option and it's a good league. So they want to be with the Blues, not in the minor leagues, because your salary structure changes so much."
The problem is no matter how well Lehtera finishes this season in the KHL, the Blues are probably not going to give him a chance without him proving himself on North American soil first. I think his best chance of making the Blues roster out of camp is skipping the World Championships with Finland and putting some solid time in Peoria after Sibir's season ends. Then training hard this off-season with other current Blues players(such as Oshie and Backes) and working his arse off to in training camp and impressing everyone during the pre-season. Then possibly, with the departure of a few current players, he may have a chance at earning a spot on the team, and being signed to a contract that includes a possible out-clause in case he's sent down and wishes to go back to Europe or the KHL instead of working his way back up to the NHL. In other words it's going to take a little bit of luck and a lot of hard work on Lehtera's end for us to ever see him on the Blues roster. I still think it's possible, but he's really going to have to buckle down and project himself towards the NHL.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:04 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I think there's a decent chance they'd resign Arnott. Kind of depends if he's willing to take something like 1.5M-2.0M and play a 3d/4th line vet center role. I'd love him at that price. His points per minute of ice time are very high on the team at the moment. Looking like a 40-pt year for him and he seems to have a nose for timely goals. Going to need that Cup-winning experience in the playoffs.

If they re-sign Arnott I don't see how there would be room for Lehtera. Even if they don't re-sign Arnott there's a good likelihood a center is targeted in trade or free agency. And even if they don't do either of those things Berglund and McRae are still ahead of him on the organizational depth chart.

It's not impossible but there's no way without a serious jump in his skating he wouldn't get exposed in the much faster NHL. And they simply can't plan for that improvement before they see it in camp/Peoria. And Lehtera hasn't seemed willing to pay Peoria dues.

In Lehtera's case, Show Me.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:08 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
From what I've seen, he has pretty good top end speed, but that could just be the big ice.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:10 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
From what I've seen, he has pretty good top end speed, but that could just be the big ice.
His first few strides are slooooow. It's improvable, but it'll have to be provable before they plan on him.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:53 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
I think there's a decent chance they'd resign Arnott. Kind of depends if he's willing to take something like 1.5M-2.0M and play a 3d/4th line vet center role. I'd love him at that price. His points per minute of ice time are very high on the team at the moment. Looking like a 40-pt year for him and he seems to have a nose for timely goals. Going to need that Cup-winning experience in the playoffs.

If they re-sign Arnott I don't see how there would be room for Lehtera. Even if they don't re-sign Arnott there's a good likelihood a center is targeted in trade or free agency. And even if they don't do either of those things Berglund and McRae are still ahead of him on the organizational depth chart.

It's not impossible but there's no way without a serious jump in his skating he wouldn't get exposed in the much faster NHL. And they simply can't plan for that improvement before they see it in camp/Peoria. And Lehtera hasn't seemed willing to pay Peoria dues.

In Lehtera's case, Show Me.
I definitely think they'll re-sign Arnott...if he's willing to play they'd have to be crazy not to re-sign him! He's still in great shape for his age(apparently one of the hardest working guys off the ice), and he brings tons of leadership, skill, and not to mention his size to the team. I think another 1 yr contract worth 2 Mil should be just right. But staying on topic, I think there is a possibility that a spot opens for someone like Lehtera. McDonald may be done after this season due to concussion and has been used on the wing anyways, and I highly doubt we re-sign Scott Nichol. IMO, at the end of the season here's what we may be looking at...

Sure thing centers:
Backes
Berglund
Arnott

Other guys who can play center, but have been used mostly on the wing:
Sobotka
Grachev

Prospect centers in Peoria:
McRae
Sonne
Hensick

Junior Prospect:
Schwartz

That said, Lehtera still has a TON to prove, but he is excellent at face-offs(I beleive #1 in KHL), and if he can get his feet moving and prove that he can play good NA style hockey then he still has a fighting chance IMO. Again these are all major IFs, but I'm not ready to rule him out. I also think playing alongside Tarasenko may have made him re-think his future some...does he want to play for the money or does he want to play in the best league in the world? I guess we'll find out soon enough. If he's not willing to put in some time in Peoria then I think our chances of ever seeing him as a Blue are unfortunately slim to none.

Last edited by h22prelude93: 01-09-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old
01-09-2012, 12:44 AM
STL fan in IA

Schwartz hasn't played center in about 3 years now. I think he can comfortably be considered a LW.

I don't see Grachev playing C going forward either.

Regarding Lehtera, it's really going to depend on what the Blues forward depth looks like this summer, how he might fit in and what all he'd be willing to do to make it. Is he willing to spend some time in Peoria first? If so, how long? A week, a month, half a season, a full season? I think he has NHL potential but I don't see him making the team out of camp and I question how much time he'd be willing to put into the AHL so that makes me question his NHL future. If any Russian posters can opine on what they think he'd be willing to do in terms of playing in the AHL, I'd love to hear it!

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote