HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Game Players.

Old
10-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

vCash: 500
Big Game Players.

We have some proven big game players, or playoff performers if you will. A few that are still unproven, and some that are suspect based off of past performances.

Who are the guys that you expect to thrive the most, in the high pressure moments this season?

Fricken 5 day break...really?

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Jame
Dream '16

I'm not sure this team has an truely proven big game players...yet.
Miller has had his moments, and implosions.
Since the end of the co caps era, are there really any big game moments that this team has thrived in?
We've blown playoff leads, series leads, OT games, etc...
Vanek has had his moments in the last 2 years... but no "big game" goals. nothing like the late game tying goals of the Drury style... or monster GW goals of the Briere type...
Instead we have consistent and productive players like Poms and Roy, occasionally dominant goal scorers like Vanek and Stafford. These guys will need a big season, and successful playoffs to define themelves as "proven big game players"

I think this is a new era, and we will begin to learn (finally) who the big game players are...

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

I think Jason Pominville and Tyler Myers will turn into big game players this season.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'm not sure this team has an truely proven big game players...yet.
Miller has had his moments, and implosions.
Since the end of the co caps era, are there really any big game moments that this team has thrived in?
We've blown playoff leads, series leads, OT games, etc...
Vanek has had his moments in the last 2 years... but no "big game" goals. nothing like the late game tying goals of the Drury style... or monster GW goals of the Briere type...
Instead we have consistent and productive players like Poms and Roy, occasionally dominant goal scorers like Vanek and Stafford. These guys will need a big season, and successful playoffs to define themelves as "proven big game players"

I think this is a new era, and we will begin to learn (finally) who the big game players are...

Ennis had a huge OT winner last year, so that's a good sign. He was even qouted as saying that "he wants" to be that guy, the GW guy. So cool, and yeah I agree, it's a new era. Leino and Ehrhoff have shown greatness in the playoffs. Time will tell.

Old
10-13-2011, 05:07 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
When I first read the title Leino came to mind..

Agreed these 5 day breaks SUCK !!

Happy I bought NHL12 though

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:16 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Gaustad - hahahaha j/k

In all seriousness...I don' think Roy or Pommers can bring it come playoff time....

But I could see any of the following players come up big (in no particular order):

Leino, Vanek, and Myers would probably be my top picks

Other players who could surprise:

Stafford, Ennis, Gerbe

This is one of the things I think this team might be lacking and could hurt us come playoff time...We need players who show up BIG come playoff time - the mark messiers, steve yzermans, etc.....Granted they were superstars....

But, my favorite example of this type of player would be Claude Lemeiux...Maybe not a great player in the regular season but boy would he bring it come playoff time....These are the kind of guys I want on my squad come playoff time....

I just not sold on either Pommers or Roy having a big impact for us in the playoffs....One only has to look at Roy's playoff stats...41 gp 7 goals ZERO GW.....In the regular season Roy has averaged a goal every 3.27 games - in the playoffs it's one goal in every 5.85 games...I would suspect most of Roy's career in the playoffs he's had at least average to above average teammates - if not the best players on the team as his line mates....

To me this ain't gonna cut it....I hope Roy can prove us wrong but I think I'd like to see us a little tougher up the middle, and someone who brings it a little more come playoff time.....Though I am not sold on Pommers either, I think he has a better chance than Roy at showing up in the playoffs. Especially since they put the "C" on him, maybe that will make a difference.....

VaporTrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:07 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Not sure if we have any true 'big game' players beyond Miller, but we've added quite a bit of playoff experience with our off season acquisitions. Couple that with the bitter taste of first round exits for the 'core', and I think the team has what it needs to perform better in the playoffs.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Ennis had a huge OT winner last year, so that's a good sign. He was even qouted as saying that "he wants" to be that guy, the GW guy. So cool, and yeah I agree, it's a new era. Leino and Ehrhoff have shown greatness in the playoffs. Time will tell.
he also played like absolute beer farts in 3 of those 7 games. receiving a beautiful feed to bury an empty net in OT is nice an all... but his series was hardly anything resembling a big game player

Old
10-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Not sure if we have any true 'big game' players beyond Miller, but we've added quite a bit of playoff experience with our off season acquisitions. Couple that with the bitter taste of first round exits for the 'core', and I think the team has what it needs to perform better in the playoffs.
maybe the mythical big game miller will show up in a playoff elimination game some day soon.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:56 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Vanek, Gerbe, Myers

I think Vanek is still getting better in his late 20's, and I think this is the year Lindy gives him every chance to emerge as our go-to guy. Just a hunch.

Gerbe has brass ones. We've all seen it. I think the guy simply has a knack for the big play, the energy play, the winning play.

I've only seen this happen a few times, but I watch it a little bit more closely now. When Myers gets fired up, his game elevates to a level I don't another defenseman in the NHL could hit. Watch his first shift after he's called for an iffy penalty or gives up a scoring chance on a blatant mistake. He's scary when he's fired up, and he's eventually gonna harness that. I think he's not the face of this year, as he was going in last season. The big offseason took that away, and I think he's going to be huge this season.

msm29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

I think Vanek proves he can be a true big time guy this year.... Maybe Leino does also.

As to people mentioned the 5 day layoff.... we gotta readjust to the time switch... we would have been dead in the water if we played say Tuesday.

Mike McDermott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
he also played like absolute beer farts in 3 of those 7 games. receiving a beautiful feed to bury an empty net in OT is nice an all... but his series was hardly anything resembling a big game player

Ennis had 4 even strength points in the playoffs last season. Other than Neidermeyer, nobody else had more than 1. Just sayin.

Old
10-14-2011, 07:23 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
maybe the mythical big game miller will show up in a playoff elimination game some day soon.
I recall him stealing at least one of the games in the Philly series. Would have been nice if he could have turned in a similar performance in game 7 last year, sure, but as I said, I would go with Miller above most of our roster as a big game player, for what that's worth.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Vanek, Gerbe, Myers

I think Vanek is still getting better in his late 20's, and I think this is the year Lindy gives him every chance to emerge as our go-to guy. Just a hunch.

Gerbe has brass ones. We've all seen it. I think the guy simply has a knack for the big play, the energy play, the winning play.

I've only seen this happen a few times, but I watch it a little bit more closely now. When Myers gets fired up, his game elevates to a level I don't another defenseman in the NHL could hit. Watch his first shift after he's called for an iffy penalty or gives up a scoring chance on a blatant mistake. He's scary when he's fired up, and he's eventually gonna harness that. I think he's not the face of this year, as he was going in last season. The big offseason took that away, and I think he's going to be huge this season.
Like you said, harnessing that angry determination is the key. Forcing it, is like doing too much, and it can backfire. Play smart, and bring up the emotion level without losing focus.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:28 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Leino has shown the ability to produce in clutch, playoff situations. Gerbe raises his game, as he's shown in each of the last two playoff years. Beyond that... they need to prove it.