HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

General thoughts on this season?

Old
02-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Caniackid

vCash: 500
General thoughts on this season?

Alright so that 5-0 win over the caps last night got me thinking, how should I really be feeling about this season? Until last night I had all but given up, since my apartment complex supplies us cable and they have FSN South insted of Carolina so I can only watch the damn panthers games I honestly haven't gotten much into the season besides what I've been able to catch when I go to Raleigh for games.

After the beginning of the year tank with Maurice I kinda felt myself not cheering for losses, but not minding them. But as we all too well know, this has happened before where we go on a slight push at the end of the season which makes JR think everything is working fine and will be great next year which makes us not make any significant moves and end up right back where we are now next year.

So, how do you feel about this year? Excited for a playoff push? Or dreading the impending "the core of players played great down the stretch so were just going to grab a couple lower end guys and run the same team next year"

Caniackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4605
See: Every other thread on this board.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

my thoughts on this season are as follows...

Before it started: gonna make a run for the playoffs!

20 games in: Oh frack, fire mo

30 games in: Bench Staal

Muller gets hired: relief falls over me, a peace from Anton giveth.

And now?

Hope for the future. I don't really care if they made a miracle playoff run or not.. I enjoy watching the team again and that's all I care about right now.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Caniackid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
my thoughts on this season are as follows...

Before it started: gonna make a run for the playoffs!

20 games in: Oh frack, fire mo

30 games in: Bench Staal

Muller gets hired: relief falls over me, a peace from Anton giveth.

And now?

Hope for the future. I don't really care if they made a miracle playoff run or not.. I enjoy watching the team again and that's all I care about right now.
To me it's not really about making the playoffs or not. It's what JR will/won't do if we make the push.

Caniackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:37 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
start of this season: ... not too bad, let's see where this goes.

next 10 games: oh mother of god this is bad, Mo must go

Muller hired: not bad

Now: Hey, they're playing well, I'll take it.

Overall though, that hole they dug themselves in with Mo at the helm is just too much to overcome. I'd love to see JR sell a few spare parts (Spacek, Joslin) and even say trade Allen and Ruutu if the return is going to be good enough.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

As for the offseason? cause we only have a few more games til the deadline. I don't see some kind of fire sale coming, or a big free agent coming here either.

I don't think he stays with the same team cause even if we made the playoffs, their are still clear offensive and defensive holes in this team... ones that unfortunately some of the kids can't fill.

I think JR is just gonna go bargain shopping again and try to draft a nice winger.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:16 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I've actually rather enjoyed the second half of the season.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:32 PM
smi

I want a shiny new toy. Like Grigorenko.

smi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:35 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Maurice as Coach = Me Sad
Muller as Coach = Me Happy

Regardless of the outcome of the season, I'm interested to see what type of moves are made in the offseason to start to shape this team in Muller and MacLean's vision.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:13 PM
totalkev

I'm upset that we wasted another season of Eric Staal and Cam Ward trying to justify our faith in Paul Maurice as an NHL head coach. The only thing that makes this season a positive for me is that I'm 100% certain we will never waste another season trying to justify our faith in Paul Maurice as an NHL head coach.

I also have an appreciation for the development of Jay Harrison and Jiri Tlusty, and an unhealthy man-crush on Justin Faulk.

Bottom line, not enough went right for this season to be a success, but there is room for real optimism because we have a real coach and things look as good on defense as they have in a long, long time.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:41 PM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

The last month or two has really been positive for this team.
Major events this year:

Beginning of year -
Ten games in
Right before Mo is fired
Kaberle trade-
Staal turnaround
Realizing how good Muller is

Seriously I think that the past few weeks shows that Muller is a pretty good coach. Who else could be actually winning games with the lineup we have right now? We have more people injured than any team in the year and we are playing our best hockey

2 12 oz Drinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan793 View Post
Seriously I think that the past few weeks shows that Muller is a pretty good coach. Who else could be actually winning games with the lineup we have right now? We have more people injured than any team in the year and we are playing our best hockey
Meh. It's not uncommon to see a team step up their game for a new coach, regardless of how "good" the coach is. See: 2008-2009 Carolina Hurricanes. This is, of course, ignoring the fact that the Canes are historically a better second half team, plain and simple. I'm not saying anything bad about Muller, he's done a great job so far, but I think it's gonna take more than 30 games of a team playing angry and emotionally, for me at least, to pass ANY sort of judgment on Muller. He's done well so far, good for him. But, especially for a coach, it'll take time to make a real statement. Teams can go on hot streaks; the next season or so will tell me if this is one of them, or if Muller really is as good as he's showed so far.

Old
02-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

While I love what Muller's done for this team, it can't last. If history has shown anything, the team will be successful next season, less successful the season after, then start off the 3rd season godawful because apparently all the players decided they want to stop listening to the coach.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:23 PM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Meh. It's not uncommon to see a team step up their game for a new coach, regardless of how "good" the coach is. See: 2008-2009 Carolina Hurricanes. This is, of course, ignoring the fact that the Canes are historically a better second half team, plain and simple. I'm not saying anything bad about Muller, he's done a great job so far, but I think it's gonna take more than 30 games of a team playing angry and emotionally, for me at least, to pass ANY sort of judgment on Muller. He's done well so far, good for him. But, especially for a coach, it'll take time to make a real statement. Teams can go on hot streaks; the next season or so will tell me if this is one of them, or if Muller really is as good as he's showed so far.
I get that but it's just that our lineup is really not good now with all the people we had out and it really wasn't very good to begin with. Do we really think this team is as good or better than the 2009 team?

2 12 oz Drinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:58 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

The 09 team was a mirage, i said it then and i still believe it. The Eastern conference was weak and the two teams we beat totally underestimated us. We had no business beating Boston with that flawed roster. In the end none of this season makes a difference if they don't get into the playoffs. Winning down the stretch isn't a building block for the next season, ask Panther fans. A foundation of success is a nice talking point but it makes very little difference if the team comes out flat next season like it has done repeatedly under Lavi and Mo.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:02 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkingdynamic View Post
The 09 team was a mirage, i said it then and i still believe it. in the end none of this season makes a difference if they dont get into the playoffs. Winning down the stretch isnt a building block for the next season, ask Panther fans. A foundation of success is a nice talking point but it makes very little difference if the team comes out flat next season like it has done repeatedly under Lavi and Mo.
Yeah, but we're going to sign Suter and Parise bring back Corvo, so I see reason for optimism next season.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:40 PM
snakepliskin

maurice= no hope
muller= HOPE!

i am actually enjoying watching these guys play now!

if im JR- unload larose-trade ruutu if he balks at signing-stay the hell out of the coachs way!-

i know franchise goalies are difficult to find and i am as big of a cam ward fan as there is on these boards but i would def consider talking to the hawks about kane.

i am starting to believe we could come up with a goalie easier than a scoring winger.

and ive got to give the org some credit cause they have been absolutly horrible at developing young dmen and overnite they have become genius' at it

better seasons are ahead

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepliskin View Post
i know franchise goalies are difficult to find and i am as big of a cam ward fan as there is on these boards but i would def consider talking to the hawks about kane.
Why in the WORLD would JR think that Chicago would trade away Patrick Kane for a true backup goaltender?

Not. Rational.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:22 AM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
This.

gocanes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:30 AM
wallym

vCash: 615
The most important part of this season for our future, is the development of Justin Faulk. I took a big dump on him during his first NHL stint. And I think deservedly so. Then he was okay. And now he's good. At 19.

If Tlusty is for realsies in his chemistry wtih Staal, which it may be, that's two major pieces of development this season going into next.

Any time you go into a season with a lot of questionmarks and guys who will need development, things have a chance to get ugly.

Next year, as things are shaping up, we'll be dealing with a lot more certainty thanks to things that have been learned this year.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

One thing I will say is that even if Tlusty's latest production IS a product of playing with Staal, keep him there. It will do wonders for his numbers, confidence, and development, and eventually, if he plays well enough for long enough with Staal, he can branch off on his own and become a real threat.

The hands are there. The speed is there. Up until the last 10 games or so it's the production that hasn't been. Leave him with Staal, the production becomes a regular part of his game, and then hopefully it won't be a difficult transition to start producing on his own (or at least without Staal).

Old
02-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Why in the WORLD would JR think that Chicago would trade away Patrick Kane for a true backup goaltender?

Not. Rational.
hopefully joking....

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Joe McGrath

If JR fired Mo a month earlier we'd be talking about what an amazing division title race this is going to be.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
If JR fired Mo a month earlier we'd be talking about what an amazing division title race this is going to be.
Absolutely. We know EXACTLY how it would have turned out!

Sens1Canes2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:20 AM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
I can't fault JR for waiting too long.

He gave Peter Laviolette two consecutive playoff misses + 25 games, so it stands to reason that he would give the exact same time to Maurice, despite the team being significantly worse and the team having an increasingly limited window to win with our star players reaching their late 20s and various other irrelevant stuff.

The deadline/non-deadline for the decision on Ruutu is today. If yesterday some team had called and said "We'll give you five first round picks and our top prospect for Ruutu, but the deal is only on the table for today," I firmly believe that Jim Rutherford would have said "no thanks, I already set a deadline and it would be unfair to Tuomo to break it."

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote