HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ales Hemsky Shoulder Injury

Old
10-14-2011, 10:43 AM
DisgruntledGoat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bone View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Smyth-Belanger-Jones
MPS-Lander-Omark
Hords-Horc-Petrell

Substitute Petrell or Horcoff periodically into spots where guys may be struggling on the other three lines such that Horc still gets about 15 minutes.
I personally don't like the idea of just giving the first-line and all the big minutes over to rookies and young players. As much as its HF gospel, its not really a good idea in the real world.

Having said that. . . if Hemsky is out for awhile and with this roster the way it is, I think its probably time to try it. Those lines look good, IMO. That second line might be able to take some of the tougher minutes away from the kids and, once Eager is back, the fourth line may be capable of doing that as well.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Mr Sakich

The Oilers medical staff feel he will be just fine. Nothing to worry about

He was even hanging out with the guys last night after the game.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Hockey Nightmare

He'll be fine.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Klaus*

Have we heard nothing from the team since last night?

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:58 AM
backhandsauce

on a side note I really have a feeling Whitney and Eager will be playing Saturday night. Along with Hemmer.

3 Points in 2 games and one of the games was in Minny and the other was versus a Top notch Cup contender. People need to relax. Oilers have only played 2 games. It's hard t oget into rythym only practicing. Next week we are lucky to sit down and watch 4 games! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:12 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysauce View Post
on a side note I really have a feeling Whitney and Eager will be playing Saturday night. Along with Hemmer.

3 Points in 2 games and one of the games was in Minny and the other was versus a Top notch Cup contender. People need to relax. Oilers have only played 2 games. It's hard t oget into rythym only practicing. Next week we are lucky to sit down and watch 4 games! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!
You have a good point there. They had one game and then 4 games between games and a lot of new faces.

Gonna take some time for some chemistry etc to develop.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
So does this mean Omark gets time on the first line now, or its lennart and Jones again...
Probably not, IMO it's friggin' Looney Toons to not play Eberle or Paajarvi on the top line over those guys. Omark should be back in and playing on a scoring line. Hopefully he puts on a show and shows that he belongs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
you can't base TOO much off of a 2 game sample, but i'm betting lots of those folks expecting 35-40 goals from hall and 65+ points from eberle are re-thinking their positions....we had the 28th best offence last year, i have *no idea* why people thought we would even become league average this year... we'll be a bottom 5-7 offence again, no doubt about it

improvement takes a long time, and we have been god-awful the past 2 years... we have a long, long, long ways to go before we are even an average offensive team

i agree with those that are saying hall needs a new trick, but i disagree with any sentiment that says he won't figure it out... he's been an elite player his entire life, i have 100% faith that he will figure out how to succeed at the NHL level... however, i still stand by my claim of hall being a "nash level" forward, a guy who will likely top-out at around 30g, 30a per season... the people calling for 35-40 goals this year are way out to lunch IMO
Hall has still been getting his chances but he's been a little off, he's the kind of player that can pot 5 in 2 games, so I wouldn't be too ready to write him off for scoring 35 this year. What we are seeing is that Eberle cannot carry a line (not that I ever expected him to at this point). The kid is frustrated and is not gelling with his new linemates. IMO a bump to the top line would be a good thing for him and Hall. I mean it's always a great idea to break up two of your top scorers when they have undeniable chemistry together right? Renney needs to roll with chemistry, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
I personally don't like the idea of just giving the first-line and all the big minutes over to rookies and young players. As much as its HF gospel, its not really a good idea in the real world.

Having said that. . . if Hemsky is out for awhile and with this roster the way it is, I think its probably time to try it. Those lines look good, IMO. That second line might be able to take some of the tougher minutes away from the kids and, once Eager is back, the fourth line may be capable of doing that as well.
Putting a player like Jones with RNH and Hall accomplishes nothing. We need a guy like Eberle or Paajarvi there. Playing the Swedes together at least for a dew games seems to be something that even a chimp could see as a good idea. Lander and Paajarvi as defensively responsible so just do it FFS. It seems like Renney is more worried about hurting Horcoff's feelings than he is about winning hockey games.

10-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
You have a good point there. They had one game and then 4 games between games and a lot of new faces.

Gonna take some time for some chemistry etc to develop.
Not to mention that our brilliant coaching staff didn't play our opening day lines together in preseason.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Last night would have been a perfect time to bump Eberle up to Hall and RNH's line. I get that he was playing to not lose but you never know we might have even scored.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Angelus
Smile Time!

vCash: 141
Two games in

Not that I'm completely surprised, I just hope it's not for the whole season. At this point I'm starting to think there was some truth to Souray's accusations.

Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Mav3rick07
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysauce View Post

Thank you, finally a realistic response. Everybody seems to be panicking way too early. When it comes down to it, we've picked up 3/4 points against Pittsburgh and Minnesota. I'll take it

Mav3rick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:10 PM
no doubt about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugs10 View Post
Seems like hemsky is out again with an injury. ( most likely shoulder ) I feel bad for the guy.. I love the guy as a player, but if he cant remain healthy this year, should we just let him walk at the end of the year without offering him another contract??
I don"t think you can pick up his contract. I hope someone will. Boy with a 4.1 cap hit gone and Horcoffs coming to an end soon the oil should be able to get a few pieces that could push them a head pretty quick

no doubt about it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:15 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Not to mention that our brilliant coaching staff didn't play our opening day lines together in preseason.
This. Completely boggles my mind why they don't run with the lines they used for almost the entire pre-season. Isn't that the whole point of preseason?

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:31 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
I want to see these lines next game if Gagner are back!

Hall Gagner Eberle

Mps Belanger Omark

Smyth Horcoff jones

Petrell lander Eager/hordi

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post

Hall Gagner Eberle

Mps Belanger Omark

Smyth Horcoff jones

So what are you doing with RNH? Benching him? That should help his confidence.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

When Gagner comes back who does get the bench?
Lander? Will Gagner go to RW to replace Hemsky?

Old
10-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
When Gagner comes back who does get the bench?
Lander? Will Gagner go to RW to replace Hemsky?
That probably makes the most sense IMO. That said probably not on the top line, although Renney seems to be allergic to playing Eberle with Hall and RNH at ES.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:58 PM
CupofOil

The Hall-RNH line went kaput because of Renney's decision to put grinders on the RW moreso than Hemsky being out. If Renney would have put Eberle or even Paajarvi on that line, they would have been just fine so lets not act like Hemsky was carrying that line.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

That line was lights out against the Pens and they were running Minny's show in the first period. Hemsky going down was the problem last night.

Old
10-14-2011, 01:01 PM
BrinkOfGreatness*

SUNdvandiest Derek Van Diest
#Oilers Hemsky not a practice this morning. Left last night's game with a sore shoulder.

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
That line was lights out against the Pens and they were running Minny's show in the first period. Hemsky going down was the problem last night.
You do not play guys like Jones and Petrell on the top line, that's Liam Reddox on the top line BS. Eberle or Paajarvi would've been a much better choice. Hell, even Smyth, that was ridiculous coaching 101. I guess playing Lander (a natural center) on the RW was a good idea as well? Wake up Renney.

Old
10-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
SUNdvandiest Derek Van Diest
#Oilers Hemsky not a practice this morning. Left last night's game with a sore shoulder.
I wouldn't expect to see him back for at least a week TBH.

Old
10-14-2011, 01:07 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post

Hall Gagner Eberle

Mps Belanger Omark

Smyth Horcoff jones

Quote:
So what are you doing with RNH? Benching him? That should help his confidence.
Bingo.

As for the panic that pervades the board... while it's predictable, it's not yet warranted.

They've looked downright dangerous at various times in both games. The chemistry's still a-brewin'.

Not to mention the fact that we've let in only 2 legit goals in that span. Wasn't our defense meant to be so porous that we'd have a dozen dropped on us each game? Obviously, kudos to both Dubie and Khabi for their performances in those games, but all things considered, the D held their own despite having given up some shots.

Some panicky reactions and some giveaways, to be sure. But give 'em a chance to gel.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:10 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Missed practice today

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 01:15 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:
That probably makes the most sense IMO. That said probably not on the top line, although Renney seems to be allergic to playing Eberle with Hall and RNH at ES.
Rnh is going to be a NHL player! But puzzle him around because his flaw at fo and find sheltered minutes against weak teams for him arent good for the team,and to find consistent line chemistry.

Rnh could have a monstergame at let us say colombus, but then its 82 games and it would be sad to have him as a healthy scratch 60 games.
I think his going juniors after 9 games and with a taste of nhl, he know what to improve to be more complete and he is more ready next season.

The team has more use for Lander this season and hes looking almost like a vet in his C role, but business and selling ads(1 pick homeboy) , tickets would play a part when they make the decision.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote