HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ales Hemsky Shoulder Injury

Old
10-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
Why so upset? do you really not understand what i meant? You selling a team, last year they made adverts of mps hall ebs long before tc,the hype of a 1 draftpick canadian c is more attractive for selling the team, much more intrest in media, commercial contracts then lander from sweden.
The last thing Renney cares about when he is deciding who plays is whether the guy was on a billboard or if TSN can put him in their commercials...

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Horseradish

I think there's an acute problem with Oilers surgeons. How many times do we have to see rehab go wrong or recurring injuries to the same affected area of players until this gets some attention by the org?

Souray had recurring issues and even spoke out about it.
Fraser's foot wasn't healing properly and the team seemingly had no idea.
Hemmer's shoulder.
Whitney's leg is taking an exceptionally long time to heal.

I don't know if it's the surgeons, follow-up care by doctors, ineffective Physio or strength training...but something seems to be seriously amiss, no? Or is it just me?

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
I think there's an acute problem with Oilers surgeons. How many times do we have to see rehab go wrong or recurring injuries to the same affected area of players until this gets some attention by the org?

Hemmer's shoulder.

I don't know if it's the surgeons, follow-up care by doctors, ineffective Physio or strength training...but something seems to be seriously amiss, no? Or is it just me?
I dont believe its the Oilers surgeons who perform the surgery.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:50 PM
awesomo
HARD!

And anyway oilers doctors are just Edmonton doctors. Good thing they are doing a review on health care amirite!

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 02:52 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:

Hemmer's shoulder.

I don't think too many of us here are in a position to question the abilities of surgeons.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:19 PM
BrinkOfGreatness*

So Terry Jones says Hemmer going for an MRI.

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
I don't think too many of us here are in a position to question the abilities of surgeons.
I was hoping somebody would raise this.

"WE" are not. But somebody has to, no? Or do we just throw our hands up and say, "well, nothing can be known or speculated about with regards to surgeons, so to hell with it. Progress be damned."

I would hope that our government and academic institutions have the ability to critique and assess the quality of surgery wherever we may live. Otherwise we may as well throw in the towel and settle for "whatever." Not a very good benchmark as a progressive, enlightened, wealthy country.

An organization spending the amount that the Oilers do on manpower should be likewise concerned and continuously self-reviewing their medical program. If it's not functioning, WHY? What's going wrong? Where is it going wrong? Is it too much to ask that they ask these basic questions and investigate them thoroughly?

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:48 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:

"WE" are not. But somebody has to, no? Or do we just throw our hands up and say, "well, nothing can be known or speculated about with regards to surgeons, so to hell with it. Progress be damned."

I would hope that our government and academic institutions have the ability to critique and assess the quality of surgery wherever we may live. Otherwise we may as well throw in the towel and settle for "whatever." Not a very good benchmark as a progressive, enlightened, wealthy country.

An organization spending the amount that the Oilers do on manpower should be likewise concerned and continuously self-reviewing their medical program. If it's not functioning, WHY? What's going wrong? Where is it going wrong? Is it too much to ask that they ask these basic questions and investigate them thoroughly?
maybe it isn't the doctors but the player. example two organizations and the same injury prone player in Tim Connely

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:48 PM
dangerMcdanger

Quote:

So who's to say they aren't reviewing their medical programs? Whitney's surgeon was based out of somewhere in the states, and who knows who the other injured guys were seeing. There seems to be a lot of conjecture here...

dangerMcdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Heh, Renney is pretty adamant that this is all precautionary.

We will see. I seem to remember a similar "precautionary" MRI instance last year.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Principe is saying MRI is precautionary. Still might play Saturday.
Hope so. If my shoulder went bust after a nothing play, i would *slap* my surgeon. No way the repair is that fragile...

Last edited by Neatman: 10-14-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Language may have been a little strong
Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 04:19 PM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Ireland just tweeted that Hemsky going for MRI. That can't be good.
Any word on when the MRI is to take place? Usually the sooner it occurs the better the prognoses... In most instances anyways, because they only do MRI's when there is minimal swelling and that means the injury may be superficial.

Heres hoping it was just a tweak of the tissues naturally rearranging themselves which is normal after any surgery. That's the absolute best case scenario which is part of the natural healing process and not actually new trauma to the afflicted area.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 04:21 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:

Hemmer's shoulder.

Whitney had those foot issues long before he became an Oiler, so that example isn't the best in my opinion. We don't really know much about the Fraser situation, other than LA doctors thought differently than Edmontons. We don't know who was right and who was wrong. Souray had injury issues before we got him too. And Hemsky, well, we can't blame that on anyone else, the guy just seems to have bad shoulders now.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 04:31 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
maybe hemmer is just a panz?

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Southern Oil

Maybe I am jaded after all these injuries + maybe someone else mentioned this (too lazy to read the whole thread) but what gets me is how the organization seems to handle these things.

I can't believe they don't have a better idea right now on this injury but there still has been no word from the organization. We probably won't hear anything at all today and then they will release some kind of short bit right before the game tomorrow - something like - 'minor strain, day to day.'

That basically tells us nothing. That could mean a day or two but that could also mean (based on previous results) of 2-3 months for all we know.

I'm tired of it. Just level with the fan base. Is there something to be gained but not telling more of the story?

Southern Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 05:05 PM
IV XIV XCI

random post from these guys -http://*******.com/5wv4nrt

I hate laughing at this.

Hemmer is my favourite player but his days, maybe even his career, are close to done.

crap

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Oil View Post
Maybe I am jaded after all these injuries + maybe someone else mentioned this (too lazy to read the whole thread) but what gets me is how the organization seems to handle these things.

I can't believe they don't have a better idea right now on this injury but there still has been no word from the organization. We probably won't hear anything at all today and then they will release some kind of short bit right before the game tomorrow - something like - 'minor strain, day to day.'

That basically tells us nothing. That could mean a day or two but that could also mean (based on previous results) of 2-3 months for all we know.

I'm tired of it. Just level with the fan base. Is there something to be gained but not telling more of the story?
The fact that he is going for an MRI suggests that there is pain, but they don't know why.

They aren't being intentionally vague. Short of cutting him open, they are dependant on physical exams, patient pain reports over time, and imperfect scans(especially when it comes to soft tissue damage). All they can do is give the best educated guess they can based on the limited avaliable information. If it ends up taking 2 - 3 months, it's because that is how long it took to heal, not because they are hiding something.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 05:18 PM
JBell84

Quote:

I guess you're forgetting we're talking about a player's well being here... I'm not sure why you feel entitled to intimate details concerning his personal health

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 05:21 PM
freewheeling

Hemsky

I had a 4 cm tear in my shoulder.Doctors gave me a 50 50 chance of it being better with surgery.No thanks.I fixed it up non surgically.After 1 yr shoulder feels almost 100 percent.There is more than surgery options out there.Also my doc is amazing at breaking up scar tissue.Tambo if you ever read this contact me.

freewheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Southern Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell84 View Post
I guess you're forgetting we're talking about a player's well being here... I'm not sure why you feel entitled to intimate details concerning his personal health
I am not asking for his medical file to be made public. But at the same time, with all the injuries we have had over the past few years, I don't exactly think the organization has handled this in the best way possible when it comes to relating these things to the public - just my opinion.

Old
10-14-2011, 05:33 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

With several seasons in a row of the Oilers being hurt and then the Esks getting ravaged by injuries I was wondering if there was something in the water...

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Southern Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
The fact that he is going for an MRI suggests that there is pain, but they don't know why.

They aren't being intentionally vague. Short of cutting him open, they are dependant on physical exams, patient pain reports over time, and imperfect scans(especially when it comes to soft tissue damage). All they can do is give the best educated guess they can based on the limited avaliable information. If it ends up taking 2 - 3 months, it's because that is how long it took to heal, not because they are hiding something.
You're probably right - I guess I would just feel better if they would at least report something. Even if it is small. Like the results were inconclusive and they will continue to monitor it - I'm not a doctor but something like that. Renney said last night at the presser that they would know more in the morning after an MRI (I'm pretty sure that is what he said, something to that effect at least) - why say that and then not report anything to the public?

Old
10-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
I wouldnt sign either of them. Shawn Horcoff is just as injury prone lately
Belanger right now is better than what Horcoff brings tro the table. NO ONE can convince me otherwise.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 06:05 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
The last thing Renney cares about when he is deciding who plays is whether the guy was on a billboard or if TSN can put him in their commercials...
Where have you been hiding out since 1950
Coaches are employes and tambo and owners has clearly a impact how the roster will look like. Rnh is already a fanfav. and the new messias among a lot of fans and media in whole canada. I really think that Rnh can make the team over For example Lander for his future potential and what i mention above. The team is in a rebuild and is expecting to finnish in the lottery, and then are playing the bpa for the team not so important and Rnh can have a freeticket in to the team, i dont see nothing wrong with that, more intrest in the team and no pressure for the kid.We cant end up any worse then last season!

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 06:07 PM
JBell84

Quote:
I am not asking for his medical file to be made public. But at the same time, with all the injuries we have had over the past few years, I don't exactly think the organization has handled this in the best way possible when it comes to relating these things to the public - just my opinion.
Again I would ask why you feel you deserve to know this information...?

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote