HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Arron Asham KO's Jay Beagle

Old
10-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
or Gillies.....
The internets would explode and meltdown.

10-14-2011, 08:36 AM
SenzZen

I've got nothing but respect for Asham. As has been mentioned, he was just pumped with adrenaline after handling himself as well as a guy can in a scrap. Hopefully Beagle recovers, and learns a lesson.

My question is this: when will Letang answer for his own BS? Not saying it was overt here, but the guy is like Chelios: all stick. Hack and whack when the opportunity arises, and never backs it up himself.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:48 AM
5 Hole

Wow, great right hand there.. I don't blame Asham one bit. I'd be pretty pumped too if I just knocked someone TFO.. Points for him stepping up and apologizing for the actions. He didn't have to do that.

5 Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Maybe when Pitt plays Dallas Godard can show Asham him how it feels to get KO'd.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:54 AM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
Maybe when Pitt plays Dallas Godard can show Asham him how it feels to get KO'd.
Yeah..you can forget about that happening

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:02 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
In other words: My internet dad can beat up your internet dad.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
3 things wrong with that statement.

1. Godard liked it in Pittsburgh, him and Asham were teammates and since they were both fighters, they probably got along. He won't want to be enemies with his former team and fan base

2. Godard's fights are just thrown fists, I don't recall him ever knocking out anyone, and doesn't have great balance in fights.

3. If Godard is going to fight anyone on the Pens, it would be Steve MacIntyre who beat Godard when he was here and MacIntyre was in Edmonton.

By the way, I like the way the Stars are playing hockey this year, caught a couple of their games on center ice, they are looking good.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Ziggy66

vCash: 50
Carcillo would ravage both Asham and Godard

(dead serious face)

started to smile a little bit

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Hugh Madbrough

Worst decision of Beagle's life.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Hugh Madbrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
Carcillo would ravage both Asham and Godard

(dead serious face)

started to smile a little bit
haha, thats a good one

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:09 AM
HiggsBroson

Asham absolutely destroys Beagle, Ends with a KO

Aaron Asham and Jay Beagle fought and Asham absolutely put a beating on Beagle.
After the KO, Asham did a little bragging by putting his hands under his cheek to mimic going to sleep. Asham called it a "classless" move, no doubt saving some HF posters the time and energy in doing so.

HiggsBroson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post

1. Godard liked it in Pittsburgh, him and Asham were teammates and since they were both fighters, they probably got along. He won't want to be enemies with his former team and fan base

2. Godard's fights are just thrown fists, I don't recall him ever knocking out anyone, and doesn't have great balance in fights.

3. If Godard is going to fight anyone on the Pens, it would be Steve MacIntyre who beat Godard when he was here and MacIntyre was in Edmonton.

By the way, I like the way the Stars are playing hockey this year, caught a couple of their games on center ice, they are looking good.

Godard has a ton of power in his punches and he's very capable of TKO/KOing anyone.

Secondly Godard won the fight against MacIntyre breaking Mac's face in the process.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:13 AM
nTsplnk*

There was already a thread on this last night, it turned into a Caps vs Pens *****fest and the mods had to close it.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post

Every single year the hockey experts (ha!) slot Dallas as a cellar team but nearly every season they do just the opposite. We are used to people underestimating the Stars and its great to see threads that start the season like 'The Stars suck and will finish at the bottom" only to have threads later in the season saying "The Stars are a legitimate team and are underrated".

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:16 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1084 View Post
Aaron Asham and Jay Beagle fought and Asham absolutely put a beating on Beagle.
After the KO, Asham did a little bragging by putting his hands under his cheek to mimic going to sleep. Asham called it a "classless" move, no doubt saving some HF posters the time and energy in doing so.
It's an incredibly stupid move for Asham. Honestly would love to see a real heavyweight demolish him for that.

Show a little respect for the opponent that you just injured.

And before people say it, if anything I'm more of a Pens fan than a Caps fan, so it's not homerism bias, it's non ********* bias.

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:18 AM
HiggsBroson

I was surprised there wasn't a thread.. Oh well.

But while it was a dumb gesture, he said he got caught up in the emotions of the game. Silly move on his part for sure, but that KO was a thing of beauty.

HiggsBroson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:19 AM
devin1487

my favourite part was tsn saying not going to make a big deal about this and then talks about it for 5 minutes and now is top story on the site.

It's not like he punched him while he was down or anything. Stupid to celebrate but move on he's already apologized

devin1487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Avim86

There is a thread in hockey fights about this , general consensus is that the fight went Ashams way after that first punch , the showboating may have been excessive , but Asham wasn't aware of the injury sustained , felt remorse once in the penalty box as well as in the post-game interview where he described his move as "classless".

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:25 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Bad fight with some lucky shots. Asham is looking the other way and catches a good hit then capitalizes, but I wouldn't chalk up what he did as "SUPER AWESOME BEATDOWN KO OF THE YEAR"

Had he been against a more notable fighter he probably would either have been flipped or pummeled. Fail to see the spectacle.
Asham's one of the best middleweights in the league, it definitely wasn't a lucky shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
I've got nothing but respect for Asham. As has been mentioned, he was just pumped with adrenaline after handling himself as well as a guy can in a scrap. Hopefully Beagle recovers, and learns a lesson.

My question is this: when will Letang answer for his own BS? Not saying it was overt here, but the guy is like Chelios: all stick. Hack and whack when the opportunity arises, and never backs it up himself.
Letang has fought before but had no reason to drop the gloves with a 4th liner at that point in the game.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

I wish that after the taunt Steigerwald told Asham to get back in his cage.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Asham is anything but gutless or classless.

I still miss him on the Island, great guy.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:31 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
ammunition for what?
Not sure what you don't understand. They're trying to eliminate headshots, what do you think that punch was? I'll answer - A brutal headshot that caused injury, possibly serious injury. On top of that, you have fans going crazy while a guy is badly hurt on the ice being attended to by doctors. This is very bad imagry for the NHL. Today were hearing former tough guys come out against fighting as a reaction to this. Lindy Ruff made my exact argument to Sabres beat reporter Paul Hamilton. If the Caps player had fallen on his head, and he's lucky he didn't, he could have died. So if you didn't see the anti-fighting ammo in this fight, open your eyes because it was as obvious. It was my first thought when I saw it live.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Xavier Laflamme

When has Letang ever been known as a guy who backs down from fights?? This is the same guy that was fighting multiple fights a game in the preseason just a year ago and had to be asked by coaches and management to back it down...

Maybe Beagle should have followed the scouting report a little closer to know that Asham could throw down with the best of them...All he had to do was skate away...instead he just GIF'D himself..thanks bud!

Xavier Laflamme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:34 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
I wish that after the taunt Steigerwald told Asham to get back in his cage.
slightly different situation.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:36 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post

I don't really have a problem with taunting of any kind in hockey to be honest (besides the most extreme cases when an opponent is grievously injured or something like racialized taunts). If the other team takes offense, let them handle it.

I will say that Letang, while a quality hockey player, is a little puke ON THE ICE that slashes and cross-checks between and after the whistle more than any player I've seen in recent memory. He's significantly worse than even Komisarek was in his heyday and far worse than Crosby ever was even at his most petulant imo (Crosby has matured greatly since those days obviously). It's borderline absurd how much that kid gets away with regularly, and I'm sure Beagle was reacting to liberties taken by Letang when he struck the blow that set off these chain of events.

I'm not trying to make Beagle out a hockey martyr, but the kid is a very professional (approach wise), honest hockey player. For him to react the way he did to Letang lets me know that he was clearly bothered by something Letang was doing or had done previously. The only other plausible explanation would be that Beagle, a very sanguine kid, desperate to prove his worth/mettle thought that punching Letang in the head would make an impression with the coaches.....up a goal...deep into the third period.

As for the fight, Beagle, a complete non-fighter got destroyed by a very competent fighter. A very predictable outcome to a very lopsided matchup.

TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote