HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Arron Asham KO's Jay Beagle

Old
10-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Hale Dunter

vCash: 500
I have no problem with fighting in hockey BUT why does Letang need a goon to do his dirty work? Its not Wayne Gretzky its KRIS LeTANG! Fight your own battles, son. Especially when it is Jay Beagle!

Asham can defend Crosby when someone who is an actual threat comes knocking.

Now, Beagle, for his part should have just went to the ice. That was foolish.

Hale Dunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:43 AM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
It's an incredibly stupid move for Asham. Honestly would love to see a real heavyweight demolish him for that.

Show a little respect for the opponent that you just injured.

And before people say it, if anything I'm more of a Pens fan than a Caps fan, so it's not homerism bias, it's non ********* bias.

Interestingly, when Tie Domi did it it was called "entertainment"..........

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:44 AM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Did anyone check to see if Mario Lemieux thinks this is ok "to reflect the state of the league" or is he re-thinking his position to see if he still wants to be part of this league?

Last edited by PROMputt: 10-14-2011 at 09:58 AM.
PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:47 AM
jagrgodr

so is this the greatest rivalry in the game now? Local DC sports radio are claiming that, but remember, they know NOTHING about hockey. But i was thinking about this, it looked like the rivalry would slow down but it doesn't look like it.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
We will keep this open but if this turns into another fight between Pan and Cap posters like last night it's done.

10-14-2011, 09:50 AM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
so is this the greatest rivalry in the game now? Local DC sports radio are claiming that, but remember, they know NOTHING about hockey. But i was thinking about this, it looked like the rivalry would slow down but it doesn't look like it.
As long as Flyers exist, they will be Pens biggest rival, not Caps.

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:02 AM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
Did anyone check to see if Mario Lemieux thinks this is ok "to reflect the state of the league" or is he re-thinking his position to see if he still wants to be part of this league?
Did anyone check to see if he actually cares about the opinion of a message board tapper?

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:04 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
To be fair, most are claiming that it's the HOTTEST rivalry in the game right now, which is a much more fair statement.
Also, some sports personalities here do have a decent grasp of the game, and the ones who don't readily admit that they don't. It is true that literally every radio host here is FAR more well versed in football (at every level), basketball (at every level) and even baseball than they are with hockey. There isn't any shame in that though imo.

TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:07 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I think Asham's taunts where out of place, though not as bad as what others are saying. He apologized after which was a good move by him.

10-14-2011, 10:14 AM
ponder

Quote:
"Greatest" implies an "all time" sense, and it's nowhere close to a lot of deep rooted old-time rivalries, but it's one of the better rivalries at the moment. I still think Habs/Bruins is #1, then probably Van/Chi #2, then I'd go with Pitt/Wash #3.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:17 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalkinX View Post
When has Letang ever been known as a guy who backs down from fights?? This is the same guy that was fighting multiple fights a game in the preseason just a year ago and had to be asked by coaches and management to back it down...

Maybe Beagle should have followed the scouting report a little closer to know that Asham could throw down with the best of them...All he had to do was skate away...instead he just GIF'D himself..thanks bud!
Beagle's trying to cement his place on the team so I imagine he thought if he could get through the fight that it would be another string to his bow and help him stay in the team, unfortunately it back fired. I have no doubt that Beagle knew that Asham could seriously throwdown before the fight happened.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:20 AM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Beagle's trying to cement his place on the team so I imagine he thought if he could get through the fight that it would be another string to his bow and help him stay in the team, unfortunately it back fired. I have no doubt that Beagle knew that Asham could seriously throwdown before the fight happened.
Beagle punches Letang in the face, and apparently that wasn't enough so he knocked his helmet off to boot.

Asham challenges, and even though he knows Asham is a lightweight fighter, realizes he's 25 pounds heavier and 3 inches taller and figures "What's the worse that can happen?"

It really isn't any simpler than that.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Inklings
and you feel shame

Send a message via AIM to Inklings Send a message via Yahoo to Inklings
IMO starting fights while wearing a visor is perfect grounds for good taunting after you get wrecked.

Inklings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:24 AM
popo

It should be an instant unsportsmanlike penalty if you celebrate after a fight.
A fight is not a goal! It is a penalty. If you start celebrating after an elbowing penalty or mock a tripping penalty you would instantly recieve an unsportsmanlike penalty. This should be no different.

popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:30 AM
stish

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
ammunition for what?
edit

stish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:35 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inklings View Post
IMO starting fights while wearing a visor is perfect grounds for good taunting after you get wrecked.
I'm pretty sure Asham initiated the fight.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Aussie King

A gif of Asham skating away after the KO is a must.

Aussie King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Inklings
and you feel shame

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Asham initiated the fight.

Beagle started the fight. He wanted to fight the Pens star defensemen who has no reason to fight at that point in the game. Asham answered his call to which Beagle could have walked away from before anything even went down. Not to mention Beagle tossed the first few punches.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Offdapost*
Tetrodotoxin!

vCash: 383
man poor beagle he got knocked the fudge out, disappointing to see asham with the motion at first but tapping his stick at the end and apologizing was nice

Offdapost* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:57 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo View Post
It should be an instant unsportsmanlike penalty if you celebrate after a fight.
A fight is not a goal! It is a penalty. If you start celebrating after an elbowing penalty or mock a tripping penalty you would instantly recieve an unsportsmanlike penalty. This should be no different.
Ditto!

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:58 AM
wej20

Quote:
Beagle started the fight. He wanted to fight the Pens star defensemen who has no reason to fight at that point in the game. Asham answered his call to which Beagle could have walked away from before anything even went down. Not to mention Beagle tossed the first few punches.
Asham initiated the actual fight, I'm not saying Beagle's actions didn't lead to the fight but the fact that Beagle wears a visor isn't relevant as Asham came to challenge him.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Inklings
and you feel shame

Quote:
Asham initiated the actual fight, I'm not saying Beagle's actions didn't lead to the fight but the fact that Beagle wears a visor isn't relevant as Asham came to challenge him.
Sorry but it is relevant. When acting like Beagle did while wearing a visor then having no qualms(sp?) about dropping the gloves while wearing it makes it extremely relevant.

I'm a big sabres fan and have many times on this board called out Kaleta for pulling this same stuff while wearing a visor. Its cowardly and earns no respect IMO.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:17 AM
wej20

Quote:
Sorry but it is relevant. When acting like Beagle did while wearing a visor then having no qualms(sp?) about dropping the gloves while wearing it makes it extremely relevant.

I'm a big sabres fan and have many times on this board called out Kaleta for pulling this same stuff while wearing a visor. Its cowardly and earns no respect IMO.
Just because you wear a visor doesn't mean you can't play chippy, heck Letang plays chippy and wears a visor. So it was cowardly for Beagle to accept a fight against a much tougher opponent? Doesn't make sense to me.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:17 AM
SenzZen
C(as)H/CH-CH-ing

Quote:

Kaleta=/=Beagle

Good of you to acknowledge Kaleta as a puke, but reacting during the play, then NOT declining an invitation from a proven scrapper isn't classless or gutless. Stupid, but not cowardly.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:18 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Anyone that thinks Asham realized a literal stride away from the fight that Beagle was that screwed up is just willfully ignorant of fighting in general.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote