HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#3 Kings @ Kovalchuk (Devils) 10/13/11 - POST GAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
10-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'd like to give this team a few more games to see where they truly stand. We've seen the Kings start off hot out of the game in the past only to fiddle away by December and the mid-way point of the season.
Like I said, Murray has 20 games to show what kind of game he can get this team to play. They should be no where near 0.500 hockey after 20 games. After 30 or so games, it would probably be too late to make a change if the team is really struggling to win games. Kings need to keep pace with SJ through 30 games.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The team has no direction anymore............
for a top6 bottom 6 we dont have the right player.
For top 9 bottom 3 we are using the wrong one.

from what i see it's

Penner - Kopitar - Williams
Gagne - Richards - Brown
Parse - Richardson/Loktionov - ?
Clifford - Lewis - ?

these gaps are exsiting since summer.
I'm still convinced the trade for Richards is completely wrong.

The team would look a lot better with

Gagne - Kopitar - Williams
Penner - Schenn - Brown
Parse - Loktionov - simmonds
Clifford - Richardson- Lewis

but in the end it doesn't matter.
You cant score goals when pinned to the board from 2 opponents.

I even would trade Stoll + for a 25+ goal winger for 3rd line.
Lord have mercy. Lokti is one too small for a 3rd line center and two, he isn't a checking player. He is a scorer and playmaker. And what the hell has Schenn proved at the NHL level tohave him over Richards. Absolutely NOTHING. Schenn has 2 points in 9 Nhl games at this point. He was never going to fit into TM's style, which Richards fits into perfectly. It's been 3 ****ing games people!

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Dunno who on our board may have said the Kings played a "boring" game, but you should probably take that as a compliment. We love boring games

I think the regulation goal scorers were quite fitting. Gagne always scores against Marty wherever he plays and Elias always scores against the team that has Gagne.

Quick was exceptional, and after the first 10 minutes I thought the Devils were going to get blown out. Seemed like the game settled after that and the Kings lost a little energy. Fun game tonight. Best of luck going forward. Hopefully they can play like the first ten minutes tonight for the entire game against Philly. I'll be rooting for you guys for sure.
one way of looking at it is how both LA and NJ play sound defensive schemes. LA seemed like they couldn't get a clean shot in on Johan the last 2 periods. NJ was always in the lanes. NJ was getting more opp's tonight that were clean imo. the boring games alot of times are because both teams play so tight and it turns into a chess match. swear to god LA couldn't complete two passes in a row tonight after the first 15-minutes of the 1st, which also didn't help the cause.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie to Brownie View Post
Lord have mercy. Lokti is one too small for a 3rd line center and two, he isn't a checking player. He is a scorer and playmaker. And what the hell has Schenn proved at the NHL level tohave him over Richards. Absolutely NOTHING. Schenn has 2 points in 9 Nhl games at this point. He was never going to fit into TM's style, which Richards fits into perfectly. It's been 3 ****ing games people!
Except it hasn't been only 3 ****ing games. This isn't Murray's first season in LA. This is the best team he has had and the same problems are on full display through pre-season and the first three games.

The Kings should be getting better and they are getting worse. The Ranger first period has been their best. The NJ defense was terrible, yet the Kings kept it to the outside instead of attacking the middle. NJ wasn't doing anything fancy to stop the Kings. They just pressured the puck carrier and let the Kings fire shots from the point.

At least the Kings got the game to OT and got the charity point. Good job Terry!

Old
10-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Like I said, Murray has 20 games to show what kind of game he can get this team to play. They should be no where near 0.500 hockey after 20 games. After 30 or so games, it would probably be too late to make a change if the team is really struggling to win games. Kings need to keep pace with SJ through 30 games.
I agree, 20 games is a fair assessment to know exactly where this team stands, especially since that's about a quarter of the season through. Out of a possible 6 points, the Kings have collected 3. Too soon to say where this team stands with a 1-1-1 record.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:08 AM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
just like how there are fans that bash him when it's more on the players than him. Derp derp.
FIre the team then!!!!

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:09 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Except it hasn't been only 3 ****ing games. This isn't Murray's first season in LA. This is the best team he has had and the same problems are on full display through pre-season and the first three games.

The Kings should be getting better and they are getting worse. The Ranger first period has been their best. The NJ defense was terrible, yet the Kings kept it to the outside instead of attacking the middle. NJ wasn't doing anything fancy to stop the Kings. They just pressured the puck carrier and let the Kings fire shots from the point.

At least the Kings got the game to OT and got the charity point. Good job Terry!
You really think Dean is going to hire a different coach don't you ? other wise you wouldn't have such a hard on for Terry Murray.

Boy is Dean going to crush your hopes and Dreams.

I bet John Stevens takes over if Terry gets the Axe I bet they don't even Hire someone.. Boy you guys should love that. You won't even be able to tell the Difference. Should be great.

Last edited by damacles1156: 10-14-2011 at 12:18 AM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bobafettish*

IF the third line continue to play this way, then trade stoll and bring up lotki.

Old
no name

Just to keep track. first game we yelled at Quick for letting softies, second game we yelled at Jack Johnson, and now we are yelling at Terry Murray. Cool, I'll be the offcial scorekeeper.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:15 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Just to keep track. first game we yelled at Quick for letting softies, second game we yelled at Jack Johnson, and now we are yelling at Terry Murray. Cool, I'll be the offcial scorekeeper.
On that note, I thought johnson looked pretty solid, especially towards the end of the game.

And I'll give the Kings more time, but I do think the lack of tertiary scoring is a red flag so far, as is the lack of hitting. You're going to have a hard time winning games when you average 2 goals a game, and you're going to have a hard time keeping the opposition honest, especially when you're playing defense, if you don't hit.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:20 AM
onlyalad

Quick stole a point.
Kopi has at least a goal or an assist in every game so far.
The Kings PP is ranked #6
Doughty has not shown any fatigue from missing camp.
Gange got a goal
This is the first game with everyone.
Grape Kool Aide is good
Kopitar is tied for 2nd in goals and 4th in points
Quick is 5th in goals against (ahead of Miller) and 4th (tied with miller in save %
Brad Richardson leads the league in face off % won at 100%

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Ask yourself why Kings' fans are still complaining that the Kings can't seem to complete more than two passes together, yet the team now has Doughty, Johnson, Martinez, Richards, Gagne, Williams and Kopitar. Should these players be able to play a passing game? Why do they struggle to make tape-to-tape passes? Why are their passes just slighty off? Is it just bad luck? Are the Kings cursed?

Or could it be the system? Is it too rigid? Does it not allow for individual creative plays? I'm sure that Murray doesn't tell his players to miss their passes and to turn the puck over after a face-off win, but it happens all the time.

I just want to see the Kings dictate the flow of a game instead of always reacting to the other team. Terry was again complaining about how teams keep 4 guys back in the neutral zone. And that turnovers are going to happen. That's true, but other elite teams seem to handle it much better than the Kings.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:24 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Ask yourself why Kings' fans are still complaining that the Kings can't seem to complete more than two passes together, yet the team now has Doughty, Johnson, Martinez, Richards, Gagne, Williams and Kopitar. Should these players be able to play a passing game? Why do they struggle to make tape-to-tape passes? Why are their passes just slighty off? Is it just bad luck? Are the Kings cursed?

Or could it be the system? Is it too rigid? Does it not allow for individual creative plays? I'm sure that Murray doesn't tell his players to miss their passes and to turn the puck over after a face-off win, but it happens all the time.

I just want to see the Kings dictate the flow of a game instead of always reacting to the other team. Terry was again complaining about how teams keep 4 guys back in the neutral zone. And that turnovers are going to happen. That's true, but other elite teams seem to handle it much better than the Kings.
Skill

The Kings still lack it. JW for ever amazing pass he makes, he makes about 5 bad one's. I counted three tonight he put in to the slot while Four defenders were there.

Gagne is not known for being a slick passer. A-mart, Drew and jack, are only counted on for outlet passes. Which they do very well.

Kopitar/Richards our really the Kings only true playmakers.

And no Dean is not going to replace Terry Murray with a different SYSTEM coach. once again he will hire Terry Murray 2.0. Most likely John Stevens or Ken Hitchcock. Crushing your hopes and dreams.

Last edited by damacles1156: 10-14-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old
10-14-2011, 12:27 AM
sjmay*

It;s like listening to a bunch of women in here...my god.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:30 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

I've wanted Tailspin Terry gone since his first season here. I got nothing but laughed at and its funny how many people have changed their tune. The guy is constantly out coached and Dean is an idiot for not getting Tippet when he was available

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:31 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post
I've wanted Tailspin Terry gone since his first season here. I got nothing but laughed at and its funny how many people have changed their tune. The guy is constantly out coached and Dean is an idiot for not getting Tippet when he was available
Cause Tippet has been so good in Phoenix right ? he has the same post season record as Terry the last three seasons. ('Worse for career numbers actually). No thanks pass. The only thing Tippet has proven is he can lose in the post season with Talent (Dallas) and without (PHX). Tippet had a cup team and never made it. Terry one upped him, he made it to the Finals with Philly.....lol Ouch

Hell PHX didn't even show up for that series last year (Save Doan). And that is totally on Tippet. You don't give Terry any passes. No idea why people keep giving Tippet them.

Last edited by damacles1156: 10-14-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old
10-14-2011, 12:32 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post
Again,

What exactly has Tippett proven that he is held in such high regards around here?

I mean really?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:34 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
one way of looking at it is how both LA and NJ play sound defensive schemes. LA seemed like they couldn't get a clean shot in on Johan the last 2 periods. NJ was always in the lanes. NJ was getting more opp's tonight that were clean imo. the boring games alot of times are because both teams play so tight and it turns into a chess match. swear to god LA couldn't complete two passes in a row tonight after the first 15-minutes of the 1st, which also didn't help the cause.
For sure, and we've grown to love that style of play. I'd much rather a game that's 2-1 or even 1-0 assuming the D played great than a 6-5 barn burner which is basically glorified street hockey. It makes a goal all the more satisfying when it has to be earned, when it requires either supreme offensive skill or enormous battle and will.

Now, tonight may have been more about both teams having new personnel, Kings especially, and the Devils trying to learn a new system than great D, but it was a good game. A bit lacking it execution from both sides, but not bad. I hope for both of our fanbases sake that these two teams get better as the season goes on.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:38 AM
bobafettish*

Quote:
we should have a predict who to blame thread,

i choose you penner

Old
10-14-2011, 12:45 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Better yet you need to start a new thread prior to each game so we can predict who the next scapegoat will be.

Obvious choices are:

Terry Murray
Dean Lombardi
Jack Johnson
Jarret Stoll
Dustin Penner

All others are dark horses.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:46 AM
damacles1156

You want to try something on for size cupcakes. Since Florida has fired Terry Murray...They have not made a post season appearance. They have been over 90 points Once since firing him.

Doesn't mean anything, I just think it's funny.

Terry was the last coach to put them into the playoff's. And they lost in the first round lol.

Last edited by damacles1156: 10-14-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old
10-14-2011, 12:52 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Meh, I'm ok with 1-1-1 for our first 3 games. Especially considering all 3 were basically, road games.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:54 AM
bobafettish*

the record is nto the problem, the problem is how we played.

which was putrid

Old
10-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Again,

What exactly has Tippett proven that he is held in such high regards around here?

I mean really?
He put together the Palffy-Allison-Deadmarsh line.

He's an average coach who caught lightning in a bottle when Andy Murray was out, nothing more. TM has had more success than Tippet. Unless you count getting consistently getting bounced in the first round with 50 win teams success, then, Tippet wins.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:59 AM
battlingBard56

You think the Devils fans booing the offsides calls don't know hockey? Most of the ones booing were seated up in the high areas where it's more difficult to see exactly whats happening.

But chalk it up to our supposed "lack of hockey knowledge". Have you know our fan base is pretty damn intelligent when it comes to hockey. Most of our fans aren't bandwagoners.

Good game.

battlingBard56 is offline   Reply With Quote