HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus/Minus Pens vs Caps 10/13/11

Old
10-13-2011, 09:52 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Exactly. And I don't even like Asham.

Even without the UFA bit, I'd trade for Alfredsson this year.
You know, it would be tight, but it's probably doable to add Alfreddson if the cap goes up another 5%. Good lord, him with Sid and Kunitz, and then imagine that PP with him in the Sully position.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
Where are those nay-sayers after this game?
Conjuring up "yeah, but's" more than likely

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

It's pretty amazing how well we're doing minus the best player on the face of the Earth.

Oh, and Neal is awesome.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 09:54 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Get Neal signed and those combos are locked up for a couple of seasons, along with Kennedy and Dupuis. Would be GREAT if TK grabbed hold of a top 6 spot and never looked back, keeping Dupuis in the bottom 6 where he excels. Jeffrey's another that could move up and down the lineup once he gets up to full speed.
My two options:

Option 1: Duper with Sid and Kunitz (until the deadline), Sully with Malkin and Neal, and TK with Cooke and Staal.

Option 2: Sully with Sid and Kunitz (he'd get Guerin type of space with those two), TK with Malkin and Neal (Spaz actually might mesh nicely with those two, especially given his board work), and Duper with Staal and Cooke.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:58 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
Bylsma did seem like he wanted Sid and Neal to play together before the season. The hope would be that their excellent play together convinces Bylsma otherwise. As awesome as Sid is, getting Geno back to form should be a priority if this team wants to make another deep run. Even though Malkin has had success with mediocre linemates in the past, it's clear that he's much more effective with talent around him. Especially having a finisher like Neal alongside him.
What I'm really liking, and what I really saw tonight, was Neal playing a hybrid Malone/Sykora with Malkin. I mean, we all figured you'd see it, but, tonight, the concept became reality. Geno remembers that he's not just "I'm assist Neal" but also "I'm score" and Sully starts meshing a little more naturally as third wheel (not bad, but IMHO it can and will be better), and that line is going to be nuts.

Old
10-13-2011, 09:59 PM
MtlPenFan

I really doubt DB changes things up with Neal and Malkin. He would have the moment Sid came back AND Neal was playing like he did last season just to get him going, but it looks like that Neal is long gone.

At this point, it's Staal's very existence that keeps this team from adding a bona fide winger. I hate saying this about pro hockey players, but at times he looks incompetent offensively and I can't stand to see him lose puck in his feet anymore.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:00 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
It's pretty amazing how well we're doing minus the best player on the face of the Earth.

Oh, and Neal is awesome.
Well, I suspect that we've lost some of those people who poo-pooed when others kept saying "don't judge Neal until you see him with Sid or Geno".

Old
10-13-2011, 10:02 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I really doubt DB changes things up with Neal and Malkin. He would have the moment Sid came back AND Neal was playing like he did last season just to get him going, but it looks like that Neal is long gone.

At this point, it's Staal's very existence that keeps this team from adding a bona fide winger. I hate saying this about pro hockey players, but at times he looks incompetent offensively and I can't stand to see him lose puck in his feet anymore.
Here's my plan:

1. Keep what you've got with Malkin and Neal together. That means Duper with Sid and Kunitz OR going Kunitz-Sid-Sully, Neal-Malkin-TK, Cooke-Staal-Duper.

2. When the trade deadline comes, pray that Alfreddson wants out of Ottawa and use 4.875M of that prorated cap space you have to acquire him to play RW for Sid and Kunitz.

EDIT: Hard not to agree about Staal's offensive game. Whether or not Bylsma breaks up Malkin and Neal, it's pretty clear that the only thing dumber he could do than that is to play Malkin on Staal's wing for anything beyond a sporadic shift when Sid returns.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:05 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
What I'm really liking, and what I really saw tonight, was Neal playing a hybrid Malone/Sykora with Malkin. I mean, we all figured you'd see it, but, tonight, the concept became reality. Geno remembers that he's not just "I'm assist Neal" but also "I'm score" and Sully starts meshing a little more naturally as third wheel (not bad, but IMHO it can and will be better), and that line is going to be nuts.
Malkin definitely looked like he's realized that he can trust Neal. He was pushing him the puck tonight much more than we'd seen so far. Hopefully they build on it.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Jaded-Fan

Our PP has remained pretty snakebit, the one score to tie the game notwithstanding.

As for the Asham thing, honestly been seething for a year over the Crosby hit. Yes, Steckle is no longer with them, and yes, in a saner moment I do not like seeing people get hurt. But honestly, right now it felt like a bit of payback. Same team with Ovechkin who chased Malkin around the ice trying to injure him, cheap shotted Gonchar, etc., so I am shedding no tears over the TKO of one of theirs. And sends a good message with the Crosby news today. We stand up for our star players.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, Staal is hard to watch. He helps this team in some ways, but he's like Ryan Whitney to me. A good player, but frustrating as hell to watch a lot of the time.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:06 PM
WVP

KIRK, Alffie has another year, not sure he's even worth mentioning....

Old
10-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Jaded-Fan

Oh and yeah, it was obvious to most that Neal fit best with Malkin. Move Sullivan to Crosby's wing with Kunitz, and you have the perfect combination.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:08 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Our PP has remained pretty snakebit, the one score to tie the game notwithstanding.

As for the Asham thing, honestly been seething for a year over the Crosby hit. Yes, Steckle is no longer with them, and yes, in a saner moment I do not like seeing people get hurt. But honestly, right now it felt like a bit of payback. Same team with Ovechkin who chased Malkin around the ice trying to injure him, cheap shotted Gonchar, etc., so I am shedding no tears over the TKO of one of theirs. And sends a good message with the Crosby news today. We stand up for our star players.
Grasping at straws there Jaded. IMO.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Here's my plan:

...When the trade deadline comes
Mate.... what's all this about the deadline after 5 games ?
There is lots and lots of time for Sullivan and TK to prove more than adequate after Sid returns, and there's lots of time for guys like Jeffrey and even Tangradi to make a push also.

There's also lots of time for injuries to happen and eat into our cap-space, and there is lots of time for our less than heralded third pairing defensemen to struggle and look inadequate for the playoffs.

In short - there's lots of time for a lot of things before we think about the deadline.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:10 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Malkin definitely looked like he's realized that he can trust Neal. He was pushing him the puck tonight much more than we'd seen so far. Hopefully they build on it.
Oh, I think they will, for sure. I guess that's what I meant with the critique of Sully . . . I'm not sure the same instinctive trust factor is there, like Sully knows where Geno/Neal will be and Geno/Neal know where Sully will be in the same way that Geno and Neal are showing with one another. It makes Sully's lack of space more pronounced. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right, as it's a really subtle critique. That said, it's going to come for Sully as third wheel on the line, and then that line will be 10X the line you saw dominate for stretches tonight.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:11 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

+ Malkin looked good and seemed to be finding open ice. His skating looked as effortless as it has in a long while.

+ Neal with a boffo game. Looks like he's in a groove.

+ Good team effort against the Caps' best players.

++ Asham's pwnage.

++++++++++ The countless pages of tears shed over Asham on the main board.

- Other lines gotta get on the board.

Question: I wasn't paying full attention for about 1/3 of the game, but I thought Staal played all right? I thought he made some nice plays but seems like he's getting torched this game. I only saw the penalty in OT when it happened and not on replay but I thought he simply got in AO's way and muscled him down. Sounds like I didn't see it clearly though. Anyone?

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:12 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Oh and yeah, it was obvious to most that Neal fit best with Malkin. Move Sullivan to Crosby's wing with Kunitz, and you have the perfect combination.
O'k, so I'm not the only one who thinks that might make sense.

If you go Kunitz-Sid-Sully, do you go TK with Malkin and Neal and then slide Staal down to center the effective Cooke-Duper combo?

Old
10-13-2011, 10:13 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Mate.... what's all this about the deadline after 5 games ?
There is lots and lots of time for Sullivan and TK to prove more than adequate after Sid returns, and there's lots of time for guys like Jeffrey and even Tangradi to make a push also.

There's also lots of time for injuries to happen and eat into our cap-space, and there is lots of time for our less than heralded third pairing defensemen to struggle and look inadequate for the playoffs.

In short - there's lots of time for a lot of things before we think about the deadline.
Well, yes, I know, but I'm still allowed to get a little excited thinking about what Ray Shero can do with 6-8M in prorated cap space at the deadline.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:16 PM
KIRK

Quote:
KIRK, Alffie has another year, not sure he's even worth mentioning....
At his cap hit, yeah . . . it's doable if the cap goes up another 5% for next year and given that Neal will be the only other guy to sign to what likely will be a raise. BUT, it's a pretty big number for a guy his age. That said, as I think CW noted, if doable, I'd take Alfie and that cap hit over Hemsky as a rental (and that would've been before Hemsky got hurt again tonight)

Old
WVP

Quote:
Oh and yeah, it was obvious to most that Neal fit best with Malkin...
Crosby hasn't played 2 seconds with Neal, we're a long way from concluding that Neal is better with Malkin.

And I think Neal's style of play would suit Crosby's quite well.

Old
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
O'k, so I'm not the only one who thinks that might make sense.

If you go Kunitz-Sid-Sully, do you go TK with Malkin and Neal and then slide Staal down to center the effective Cooke-Duper combo?
I believe that was actually the consensus here over the offseason. So you were far from alone.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:18 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Crosby hasn't played 2 seconds with Neal, we're a long way from concluding that Neal is better with Malkin.

Oh, I for one don't disagree . . . Neal would work well with Sid. BUT, Neal fits Malkin like a glove. And, if one of your big advantages as a team is that Malkin gets lesser defensive units against him, then I think you gain less from Neal with Sid/Kunitz against top defensive pairings than you lose with replacing Neal with TK to play with Malkin.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
+James Neal. 2 more goals tonight, 4 goals in 5 games on the season. Not only that, but he back checks like a beast and plays a physical game. Is it too soon to suggest last year's 1 goal in 20 games slump is over?

+Geno Malkin. He had his mojo going tonight. I thought he looked really dangerous every time he was on the ice tonight.

-Missing the net. Either that, or Pens shooters kept putting the shots right into Vokoun's chest. It sucks when you outshoot the opposition by a 2:1 ratio, but can't score more than 2 goals.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:

Neal reminds me a lot of Malone, and Malkin has missed a player like that for a long time. Malkin just seems to me to need a complimentary player like that more to excel than Crosby does, though both do exceedingly well, no matter who is on their wings.

Oh, as for the Asham thing, it was an emotional response, so do not expect rationality. I would not want Asham, or anyone, to go intentionally headhunting. But I am not going to say I am all that sorry that one of theirs got the short end there either.