HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Walking Dead (Habs lose 4-1 in home opener)

Old
10-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Maliki2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
However, the broon board has a Pouliot appreciation thread no joke...
And a Lucic and Horton hate thread...go figure!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Hey I predicted that Pouliot would score more goals than Cole and I was mocked widely here. I'm sticking by that one.
Even during Cole's "can't score when he doesn't play for the Hurricanes" season in Edmonton he scored 1 less than Pouliot's career high.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 50
On the subject of Gomez, while I do not believe his performance thus far has been anything noteworthy. I can partly give him the benefit of the doubt based on how useless Gionta has been. Pacioretty seems to be getting his stride back but Gionta has simply been invisible. Even when he has the puck, nothing seems to jell. I'll give the team ten games before I make any wild evaluations of the roster. I will say though Cole needs to step it up.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
In the case of the Habs it's because they're laboring without the services of some key players. Their D looks particularly vulnerable. As for the Canucks, I'd say that Luongo is letting them down.
Sloppy dis-jointed play by the skaters is just as much the blame for Vancouver as it is for Montreal though. The point is to not judge to much from a sample size of a couple games. Over a 4 game period last years Oilers could out play last years Canucks.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Didn't see it. I'm assuming it was... bad?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Didn't see it. I'm assuming it was... bad?
I would go as far as disgraceful.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I would go as far as disgraceful.
That pretty much covers it.

For whatever it's worth, I thought the whipping boys that are Andrei Kostitsyn and Scott Gomez had strong games.

But what do I know?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:56 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
as long as the teams to we are to contend with for a playoff spot keep losing, we can wait for our injured players to come back

Has an NHL coach ever gone out on Injured Reserve?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post

For whatever it's worth, I thought the whipping boys that are Andrei Kostitsyn and Scott Gomez had strong games.

But what do I know?
People just have a blind hatred for Gomez, they'll rarely give him credit unless he gets a couple points on the score sheet.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:59 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
The Habs still need time to hit their stride.

The team is at least decent on paper.
Too bad they play on ice. (insert "ba-dum-bum-CHING")

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

meh it's just a bad game

when our top players will start to produce we will be ok

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:00 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post

Well, that's a silver lining at least then. How was Price?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Well, it wasn't a fun game to be at. Special teams sank us. You've got a D with next to zero experience out there and your captain goes and takes two very costly penalties... And then not to capitalize on the many PP opportunities given to them, and at key moments in the game, that's just a recipe for disaster.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Hab-a-maniac

While I agree we have many questions and fundamental issues, so do many teams. If you wanna get into the whole "Spinning our wheels" argument, well then that's a broader subject. But it's still early. I mean our record is the same as Boston. Vancouver's sucked early on. Last year, do you know who one of the absolute worst teams was after the first 15-20 games? Anaheim! They were calling the end for Carlyle, a rebuilding phase, etc. Well guess what, they did pretty alright huh? I'm not saying we will rise up like them but it's too early to judge. The freaking 92-93 team that won the Cup started 1-3-1 and the 89 team that nearly did the trick started 4-7-3 and people were saying Pat Burns was a garbage replacement for Jean Perron (and then they were all shut up when the Habs went an ungodly 49-10-7 the rest of the year). So as Carey would say: Chill!

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 356
I want to see a: Subban - Emelin wave 1 PP and a Weber - Diaz wave 2 PP.

Sky will fall until Saturday.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Now that PK is having a rather average-weak start, Gill's lack of skills and speed is being even more exposed. They need to be split up. Put PK with Gorges. Make Gill play with Diaz as our bottom pairing, and keep Weber with Emelin.
Weber and Gorges have been our best Dmen by far so far this year.

Up front, you would have thought that Martin would have learned after MaxPac's comments last year. If you're going to call an offensively skilled prospect, make him play with top players. What is the purpose of calling up Palushaj to make him play with Engqvist? While Moen and Darche get to enjoy playing with our more skilled players...
I don't care if Martin wants to keep playing both these bottom liners with our more skilled players, although I think it's stupid, but if you're gonna do that, then don't call up Palushaj. Call up a 4th liner type.

I don't think it's as bad as plenty will say. I don't think the Flames won, I feel the Habs lost.

The defensive coverage of our forwards tonight was extremely poor. They left our D alone quite often.

And again, re-signing Gill over Hammer was such a mistake. Gimme Hammer for an extra year with another million any time over Gill. He looks horrible.

Our lack of discipline also needs to be fixed, but what's more annoying is that the penalties were taken by Darche, Gionta (x2), and Gill. I can understand if youngsters take penalties, they're young, they're adapting, and it's all part of the development. But two dumb penalties from your captain, and another one from your assitant, is just unacceptable.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:14 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
It is tough with so many injuries.

Having said that, every team deals with injuries.

It is going to be a long year with this group of players I'm afraid.

If Price plays human as he did tonight, we're dead.

After the Avs (who are 3-1), we play the Penguins and Caps.

Game 3 buddy, there's 79 other games and 6 1/2 months left.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:21 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Now that PK is having a rather average-weak start, Gill's lack of skills and speed is being even more exposed. They need to be split up. Put PK with Gorges. Make Gill play with Diaz as our bottom pairing, and keep Weber with Emelin.

Up front, you would have thought that Martin would have learned after MaxPac's comments last year. If you're going to call an offensively skilled prospect, make him play with top players. What is the purpose of calling up Palushaj to make him play with Engqvist? While Moen and Darche get to enjoy playing with our more skilled players...
I don't care if Martin wants to keep playing both these bottom liners with our more skilled players, although I think it's stupid, but if you're gonna do that, then don't call up Palushaj. Call up a 4th liner type.

I don't think it's as bad as plenty will say. I don't think the Flames won, I feel the Habs lost.

The defensive coverage of our forwards tonight was extremely poor. They left our D alone quite often.

And again, re-signing Gill over Hammer was such a mistake. Gimme Hammer for an extra year with another million any time over Gill. He looks horrible.

Our lack of discipline also needs to be fixed, but what's more annoying is that the penalties were taken by Darche, Gionta (x2), and Gill. I can understand if youngsters take penalties, they're young, they're adapting, and it's all part of the development. But two dumb penalties from your captain, and another one from your assitant, is just unacceptable.
agreed, this Weber kis is kinda lucky as he was average in pre season and destined to be a 4th liner for a little while... but injuries to Spacek/Campoli and voila... he wakes up and play solid hockey!

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:35 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Yes but JM has balls. Darche on the second PP instead of Cole. !! Great hockey mind !
So much for your hockey mind;

Last year;

Cole 8 powerplay points in 221 minutes. Darche 7 powerplay points in 79 minutes.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Aceekay

I feel for price. The guy puts in his best every game, sometimes he has an off game or unlucky bounces that puts us behind. Even though he is a great goalie he can't stop everything, so it must be really disheartening to do everything you can do to win, but then you see guys like gionta, Gill , Cole, Subban and maybe Gomez (i was a bit iffy about him tonight) who all just mail it in and give up after going down two. Its time to start earning your money vets.

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Agree with most of what you said, I'm worried Weber will somehow be blamed for this and taken off the defense despite playing another mostly solid game, I like him with Emelin.

I was one of the few who thought paying more for Hamrlik over Gill was worth it. Gill is a solid role player but a lot of people overrate him, he's a very limited player and while he has his uses, especially later in the season, I'd take Hamrlik's jack of all trades role any day. In fact with our current lineup I think Hammer could have been more useful than ever if Martin wouldn't overplay him. But it's too late for that, Gill will still be useful but he should be playing bottom line minutes because when his partner is poor he's essentially worthless.

I'm really annoyed by Gionta so far, it's early and I think he will turn it around but he's not just playing poorly, he's playing stupid, and that's just inexcusable. Plekanec and Eller impressed me, Gomez, AK and Engqvist were okay, the rest of the forwards had bad games and that hurt us more than the D.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
So much for your hockey mind;

Last year;

Cole 8 powerplay points in 221 minutes. Darche 7 powerplay points in 79 minutes.

In all due fairness, the PP is a 5 men unit. Darche can be used 50% of the time on the PP for the rest of the year, if we keep Plekanec on the point and PK doesn't settle down, Darche won't even get 5 PP points.
Every player of your unit is important for the PP, same thing for the PK.

However, you are right about Cole. He has always gotten most of his points at ES.
Martin needs to make him play with AK and Plek.

Here are a few different lines I wouldn't mind seeing:
Plek-Cammy-MaxPac
Eller-AK-Cole
Gomez-Gionta-DD
White-Darche-Moen (Engqvist until White comes back, or a new signing/trade is done)

This third line showed some good things last POs. Maybe they can develop into something good. Any line can be considered the #1 on any given night. Whoever is hotter gets more ice time, as simple as that.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:52 AM
SB164

Price does have a tendency to go butterfly a little early sometimes, as was evidenced tonight.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 12:55 AM
Et le But

I wouldn't mind MaxPac playing with Pleks more, the way Gionta is right now and Gomez just cannot get things done by himself. Maybe try him with Cole a bit.

Old
10-14-2011, 01:00 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Well, that's a silver lining at least then. How was Price?
He made a good save or two, but he was pretty poor.

Nonchalance was his problem (an unfortunate side effect of being so calm), and his five hole was open for business. He misplayed the puck a few times, but luckily it didn't cost us.

To be fair to him, the D wasn't of much help, but he just wasn't very sharp either.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote