HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The Official 2011-2012 WLU Golden Hawks Thread

Old
10-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Neugs

vCash: 500
The Official 2011-2012 WLU Golden Hawks Thread

Roster

My Preview

It is a new year for the Laurier Golden Hawks Men’s Hockey Team, with lots new faces, new goals and new aspirations. What has not changed, however, are the strengths and weaknesses of Head Coach Greg Puhalski’s squad.

This article will preview the team that has struggled in the playoffs the last couple seasons as their huge changing of the old guard continues.

Forwards

Subtractions: Ryan Bellows, Jean-Michel Rizk, Colin Williams
Additions: Mitch Lebar, Dustin Scott, Tyler Stothers, Brent Vandenberg, Joe Vanni, Jonathan Veerman

The Low-Down: It is true that there are only three graduations from the forward corps, but boy are they massive. Jean-Michel Rizk was one of the best players to ever wear the purple and gold, one of the best captains ever, and was one of the top players in the league in all three zones of the ice. Ryan Bellows added veteran scoring from the wing and lead the team in that department last season, while Colin Williams was a solid two-way centre man with a nose for the net.

This group is definitely the biggest question mark for the Golden Hawks. Gone are the Laurier teams of the past that scored at will with reckless abandon, and this team will have to find ways to win tight games against every opponent in this league. Offense will come by committee, and from youth since youth is the only thing that the forward corps has.

This is the year for Mitchell Good to step up and show the leadership that earned him the captaincy in junior hockey. The speed-demon had 7 goals and 12 assists last year and will have to be a key scorer this year to go with shepherding this young group. Second year Thomas Middup has tons of Major Junior pedigree, and showed signs of absolute dynamic brilliance last year; Coach Puhalski will ask much of him this season. Also, Golden Hawk fans will hope big Kain Allicock has grown up a bit and can be a more disciplined, effective presence in front of opposing net-minders.
Overall it’s time for guys who were rookies last year, and left too much for Rizk and Bellows to figure out in the offensive end, to step into their potential (ie. James Marsden, Ben Skinner, Alex Poulter, and Zackary Ray). Winning every game 2-1 just does not work in the OUA anymore.

The New Guys: The biggest name to join the squad is Kingston Frontenac (OHL) graduate Mitch Lebar. Lebar had spells last year as Kingston’s number one centreman when Phoenix Coyotes prospect Ethan Werek went down to injury. The 5’11 and 191 pound Aurora-native is quick, sees the ice well, and improved immensely in his own zone this past season. Former Tier II Junior ‘A’ standout Tyler Stothers was a huge reason for the Vaughan Vipers’ highly potent attack last year scoring 79 points in 49 games, while Dustin Scott put up a remarkable 133 points in 71 games for Junior ‘B’ Niagara Falls. Former Owen Sound attack forward Joe Vanni, and NCAA Division I veteran (Niagara) Brent Vandenberg also have scoring acumen.

Defense

Subtractions: Mike Gauthier, Ryan Bernardi
Additions: Chad Lowry, Frank Riddle

The Low-Down: A very similar group to last year will be a big strength for the Golden Hawks. The loss of puck moving defenseman Ryan Bernardi is tough, and veteran Phil Magistrale will be counted on very highly to play big minutes as the only real offensive defenseman on the team; fortunately, he is also very capable. Defensive defensemen Zack Shepley and Garrett Sinfield both have considerable major junior pedigree, and both had superb seasons last year. Big Kyle van de Bospoort had good and bad games last year and needs to return to that disciplined yet mean game he plays when he is on his game. This corps gets even bigger and more experienced with the addition of former Kitchener Ranger veteran Chad Lowry who, with the other big strong defenders on this team, will make the Waterloo Recreational Complex not a fun place for opposing teams to play.

The New Guys: As mentioned Chad Lowry brings strength and experience to this team, but he also has mobility and can make a quality first pass. He also grew up a ton last year, and his plus/minus jumped from -10 two years ago, to +10 this past season. Frank Riddle came from the very competitive Tier II Junior ‘A’ BCHL’s Alberni Valley Bulldogs and is a puck moving defenseman that Coach Puhalski hopes can replace a bit of what Ryan Bernardi brought (though Riddle is not as dynamic as the explosive Bernardi).

Goaltending

Subtractions: Andrew Brown
Additions: Duncan Long

The Low-Down: What more can be said about Ryan Daniels that has not already been said. Last year’s Team MVP, OUA First Team All-Star, OUA Goaltender of the Year, and OUA Western Conference MVP was the reason the Hawks even made it to game three of second round of the playoffs last year. He lead all OUA starters in save percentage, shutouts, minutes, and saves made, and was everything for the purple and gold. If it were not for Western Mustang favouritism on Team Canada’s entry into the FISU Men’s Hockey tournament, there is no doubt that Daniels would have backstopped that squad as well. Nevertheless, the Golden Hawks will once again take them as far as Ryan Daniels takes them, though he showed how far that can be.
He started every game last year and played all but 39 minutes. This season is the Pickering-native’s third year, and it will be tough to top last season. He still can improve his rebound control, but in every other category he is as good as they come in Canadian University hockey.
David Clement and Duncan Long will back him up.

The New Guys: Duncan Long played Junior ‘B’ last year for the Kitchener Dutchmen while attending Laurier. He was the MVP of the Mid-Western Conference of the GOJHL last season, but one wonders how much time him or Clement will get this year with Daniels in the net.

Record: 4-9-1

Results:

10/7/2011: Nipising (5) @ WLU (4)
10/8/2011: Ottawa (3) @ WLU (1)
10/14/2011: WLU (2) @ UQTR (6)
10/15/2011: WLU (4) @ Concordia (5)
10/29/2011: WLU (2) @ Windsor (4)
10/30/2011: Waterloo (2) @ WLU (4)
11/4/2011: Lakehead (3) @ WLU (1)
11/5/2011: Lakehead (2) @ WLU (3)
11/10/2011: Brock (1) @ WLU (5)
11/12/2011: WLU (3) @ Western (9)
11/18/2011: WLU (0) @ Brock (3)
11/19/2011: Western (4) @ WLU (5)
11/25/2011: WLU (0) @ Lakehead (6)
11/26/2011: WLU (3) @ Lakehead (4) SO

Last edited by Neugs: 11-26-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Neugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

I always like to see somebody start a thread highlighting another team. Hopefully, this thread will be updated often!

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Neugs

Ack sucky start to the year. Myself and Blackmarketmob were at the Nipissing game...3-0 Laurier at one point then the Lakers called a time-out, came out flying...and then we fell apart. I was not at the Ottawa game but it looks like we got pwned and Ryan Daniels stood on his head.

Tough next game at UQTR...a team we never seem to beat.

Old
10-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Neugs

Laurier got pumped tonight 6-2 at UQTR...not a good start to the year oh well first year Im not covering them in five and its their worst start since I started watching seven years ago.

Old
10-14-2011, 09:56 PM
blackmarketmob

Should be attending their next game on the 30th I believe.

Poor start to the year indeed. Another blow comes as Kain Allicock who has 3 points in 2 games is no longer on the roster. I am assuming he left the team. On paper their recruiting class was by no means dominant, but I thought almost every player brought in would be able to make some form of impact. Given the OUA's recent history of good junior B guys (Good of Laurier, Gignac and Abercrombie of Brock) I was hoping Dustin Scott's 100 points (more than any of those 3) would translate well. He played in his first game tonight. Vandenberg brings NCAA experience and Stothers was offered an NCAA ride from Alabama, Vanni brings over 100 games of OHL experience with good size and two way play so I figured he would fit well on a 3rd/4th line, and Lebar I figured would take the top line center job.

Losing Allicock will hurt, as has the loss of Marc Bourgeois's commitment. Laurier got outshot often last year, it appears that this year they are not only getting outshot, but by massive margins, typically around 40-20, making wins very hard to come by.

Vandenberg played his first game tonight (he was ineligible until this week), but Captain Kyle Van De Bospoort has yet to play, and I am hoping will play his first game of the season soon (he looked very good in preseason) . Interesting to note Ben Skinner was not in the lineup tonight. After 2 goals in 2 games, I am assuming he is hurt as well.

Best surpise thus far has been James Marsden who last year was good defensively and on the PK, but hardly played and looked to have absolutely no hands up front. He looked way more confident in the preseason than last year (and since the move to center) and has started with 2G 2A in the first 3 games on top of his usual physical play.

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 10-14-2011 at 10:05 PM.
blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Neugs

The Hawks let a three goal lead slip away on Saturday at Concordia...just like they did against Nipissing in game one. What's worse is that this was a third period three goal lead and the Hawks fall to 0-4 after a 5-4 loss to the Stingers in Montreal. This season is getting ugly for the Hawks and there doesn't appear to be any easy ones coming up either against Windsor (who beat Laurier twice in pre-season, including a 6-0 handling), one against Waterloo (who are always tough), and two against Lakehead. This is an insanely hard schedule for Laurier...which is no excuse, but there really is only a couple nights off all year. They play Lakehead four times, and Western twice in November...unbelievable.

Old
10-17-2011, 07:51 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neugs View Post
The Hawks let a three goal lead slip away on Saturday at Concordia...just like they did against Nipissing in game one. What's worse is that this was a third period three goal lead and the Hawks fall to 0-4 after a 5-4 loss to the Stingers in Montreal. This season is getting ugly for the Hawks and there doesn't appear to be any easy ones coming up either against Windsor (who beat Laurier twice in pre-season, including a 6-0 handling), one against Waterloo (who are always tough), and two against Lakehead. This is an insanely hard schedule for Laurier...which is no excuse, but there really is only a couple nights off all year. They play Lakehead four times, and Western twice in November...unbelievable.
Unfortunate as Laurier should be 2-2. They should not have let the 3-0 lead against Nipissing slide, or the 4-1 lead against Concordia. As you mentioned, wins will be very hard to come by for them this year with their schedule, they will need all the points they can get.

Positives were Vandenberg nets a goal and an assist, and 5 of their top 6 players (with the exception of Marsden who has been really good) record at least a point with Good getting an assist, Middup with a goal, Vandenberg with 1g 1a, Lebar with 1g 1a, and Stothers with 2 assists. They will need those top 6 to score, and hopefully when Skinner comes back, the projected third line of Vanni - Poulter - Skinner can provide good two way play and stop the other top lines from scoring. Laurier's fourth line should not see much time.

Last year Laurier was great at winning close games and getting outshot but shutting down the other team from scoring by collapsing down low, clearing pucks and protecting leads. This year they have been terrible when they have earned leads. Hopefully Van De Bospoort will return to leave 5 returning defenders and Riddle.

Old
10-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Neugs

You mean and Lowry?

Old
10-18-2011, 05:34 AM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
You mean and Lowry?
Oops yeah. Think I meant 5 major junior guys (not 5 returning players) and Riddle. Some form of:

Sinfield - Magistrale
Van De Bospoort - Shepley
Lowry - Riddle

Old
10-25-2011, 07:11 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
Oops yeah. Think I meant 5 major junior guys (not 5 returning players) and Riddle. Some form of:

Sinfield - Magistrale
Van De Bospoort - Shepley
Lowry - Riddle
It appears this will no longer happen. A season that started poorly is going from bad to worse. Fourth year defencemen and top pairing of Garrett Sinfield and Phil Magistrale (both of whom have played the past 3 seasons) are no longer listed on the roster, trimming the defence down to only 5 players. Those 2 plus Allicock now puts the number at 3 for players who have left the team since the start of the season. What is going on??

Old
10-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Neugs

Oh good lord o.o This looks like it will be the worst Golden Hawk season of the 7 I've watched...I bet they're gonna got some crap guy from the Siskins or something. If it was not bad enough that they only have five defensemen, but one of the defensemen is Brooks Albion...I have no idea what happened.

Old
10-26-2011, 09:35 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Oh good lord o.o This looks like it will be the worst Golden Hawk season of the 7 I've watched...I bet they're gonna got some crap guy from the Siskins or something. If it was not bad enough that they only have five defensemen, but one of the defensemen is Brooks Albion...I have no idea what happened.
Sometimes some teams get recruits around Christmas. Laurier desperately will need a major junior defencemen at the very least, and hopefully a player or two to play on the fourth line. Currently they have lines looking somewhat like this:

Vandenberg - Lebar - Middup
Stothers - Marsden - Good
Vanni - Poulter - Skinner

Then the fourth line of some combination of Dustin Scott, Woolford, Reid and Veerman, 3 of the 4 of whom are walkons.

Still, that is a lot to hope for. Perhaps the consecutive losses are what have led guys like Allicock, Sinfield and Magistrale to leave, all of whom were returning players, Magistrale an alternate captain. The last two are very, very troubling news seeing as how they have been with the team for a long time already.

Old
10-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Neugs

Well Allicock is pretty much useless so that's ok...on the back end where we were supposed to be strongest is where I am worried. We dont have a single established puck moving defenseman and Sinfield was so good.

Old
10-27-2011, 09:04 PM
blackmarketmob

In a move "called" by Neugs, current Waterloo Siskin defenceman Trevor Atkinson has been "called up" to the Golden Hawks to enable them to have 6 defencemen.

Allicock did have 3 points in 2 games. He did not shine 5 on 5 play due to his lack of skating speed, but he was great on the power play, being able to bang in rebounds. His spot in the top 6 has been replaced I believe with Vandenberg who became eligible oddly enough for the first game following Allicock's departure. Vandenberg has 2 points in his first 2 games. A former top 10 goal scorer in the OJHL as an 18 year old, I think Vandenberg will be an upgrade the Hawks lineup up front.

The downside is Laurier has had two 3 leads thus far and were unable to play adequate defence, their strength last year. Losing 2 of their best defecemen will not help that. Riddle, who should have been a sheltered 6th defenceman will instead be forced to play top 4 minutes along with Shepley, Lowry and hopefully healthy Kyle Van De Bospoort.

Old
10-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Neugs

Well there was no Van de Bospoort in our 4-2 loss to Windsor last night. Vandenberg and Middup scored for Laurier but 5 defenseman were dressed Albion, Atkinson, Lowry, Shepley, and Riddle. We gave them 9 power plays, and overall we suck. It's the worst year I've seen for a Laurier mens hockey team...just glad Im not covering it.

Old
10-30-2011, 12:49 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Well there was no Van de Bospoort in our 4-2 loss to Windsor last night. Vandenberg and Middup scored for Laurier but 5 defenseman were dressed Albion, Atkinson, Lowry, Shepley, and Riddle. We gave them 9 power plays, and overall we suck. It's the worst year I've seen for a Laurier mens hockey team...just glad Im not covering it.
They need Van De Bospoort back badly. I couldn't believe 9 power plays given up, including 6 in the 2nd period, leading to playing 12 of the 20 minutes shorthanded. Bright spot I believe was shots were 8-0 for Laurier in the 3rd. I'm surprised it was not worse, as they lost to Windsor 6-0 and 4-3 earlier prior to the departure of Magistrale and Sinfield. 29 shots against is the lowest they have given up thus far. Tonight they play a very strong team in Waterloo, followed by 2 tough games next week against Lakehead. Are you going to the Waterloo game tonight?

Old
10-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Neugs

Unbelievably, remarkably, unthinkably, and unimaginably, the Golden Hawks beat Waterloo tonight. Ray, Stothers, Albion, and Riddle scored and Daniels must have been miraculous as the Hawks almost blew another three goal third period (they entered the third up 4-1) as they were outshot 19-3 in the third period by the Warriors. No I didn't go to the game, but I'm sure it was miraculous.

Old
10-31-2011, 10:37 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Unbelievably, remarkably, unthinkably, and unimaginably, the Golden Hawks beat Waterloo tonight. Ray, Stothers, Albion, and Riddle scored and Daniels must have been miraculous as the Hawks almost blew another three goal third period (they entered the third up 4-1) as they were outshot 19-3 in the third period by the Warriors. No I didn't go to the game, but I'm sure it was miraculous.
I'm not sure I would say they "almost blew it" as they were up 3-0 after 1, 4-1 after 2, and then still 4-1 up until 18:50 of the 3rd period.

First period Laurier came out flying, the first 12 minutes look like a Laurier powerplay, outshooting Waterloo 10-2 during that stretch. Ray scored on a great individual effort by Dustin Scott, Stothers scored on the power play, then Albion took a nice shot on a good pass from Lebar. The second period was fairly even, but shots were decisively in Waterloo's favour, partially due to Laurier continuing their second period penalty box parade tradition started the night before, playing 8 of the first 11 minutes shorthanded, somehow only giving up one, much in part to Daniels' play. Riddle then scored on the power play on a shot through traffic. The third period was definately in Waterloo's favour, until about 10 minutes left when Laurier chose to chip the puck out of the zone and ice it on every play, leading to 10 solid minutes of pressure and 16-3 in shots. I would have preferred more patience, as with Waterloo pinching, when they did get it out, it was leading to odd man rushes. Overall, a huge shock to see them take out Waterloo, and a nice win.

They lined up like this:

Stothers - Poulter - Middup
Vandenberg - Lebar - Vanni
Woolford - Marsden - Good
Ray - Veerman - Scott

Lowry - Shepley
Albion - Riddle
Aktinson

Brent Vandenberg maintains his point per game pace with 2g 2a in his 4 games. Dustin Scott looked to be playing well, even in the third as well. Woolford is currently playing in Skinner's spot in the top nine, but I would prefer to Scott play on the 3rd line (until Skinner's return), as he was making more of an impact than Woolford even while playing on the 4th line with limited play. I think he has untapped offensive potential and hopefully he continues to get used to the higher speed game. I wouldn't mind seeing him get time on the second power play unit with Vandenberg and Poulter as well.

Trying to stay on a positive note, the team has somehow played okay since Sinfield and Magistrale left. I still think getting Van De Bospoort back is a must. With the departure of Magistrale and Van De Bospoort sitting on the sidelines, Shepley and Good were wearing "A"'s along with Poulter. While losing Sinfield and Magistrale cannot be looked at in almost any way as "good", one change I did like was the first power play unit. Laurier utilized Stothers - Middup - Good up front, with Lowry and Lebar playing the points. Lowry played very well, and having Lebar who can shoot and pass was a nice option, giving Laurier 4 guys who can pass and shoot well, leading to more cross crease passes and passes through the seams. The more typical routine of passing between the 2 defencemen and trying to hammer one home through a mass of bodies was not working well. Lebar was also excellent and coming in with a ton of speed, then slowing up and turning back once he had hit the blueline, backing defenders off, and allowing team mates to get in the zone and setup, as opposed to just shooting it in the moment he touched the red line.

Wins will likely continue to be few and far between for this edition of the Hawks, so it was great to enjoy a win. Hoping more to come! Unfortunately Lakehead is in town this weekend, and apparently they have figured out they can get roughly twice the points in the standings if they actually show up at games played outside of Thunder Bay. Not good for any other OUA West team.

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 10-31-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old
11-05-2011, 11:36 AM
thook

Any news or thoughts from the game last night against Lu? Unfortunatly there was. I web cast so all I got was the score. How do the teams match up etc.....

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:02 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thook View Post
Any news or thoughts from the game last night against Lu? Unfortunatly there was. I web cast so all I got was the score. How do the teams match up etc.....
Did not get home last night until about 1:30 so no time to post. Will be attending tonight's game as well. Not a bad game from Laurier, they have been attrocious defensively, and last night played much better as a team. Ryan Daniels was incredible, stopping Caria on a breakaway and making a great one timer save, and the team was able to clear rebounds to not allow second chances. They played much more similarily to last year, good defensively, able to chip pucks out of the zone when Lakehead had possession, but really struggled to get any offence going. The first period was tightly contested and actually quite even, the second period was a bad one for Laurier as they got outshot 17-2, the biggest problem when Middup took a hooking call, and on the delay, Vandenberg took a holding call trying to get the puck back, given Lakehead a 5-3 for 2 minutes (they scored twice during those 2 minutes on cross crease passes leading to tap in goals with very crisp passing). Later in the game, the same thing happened for Lakehead, but both penalties were on Carrick, leading to only an extended 5 on 4. Laurier scored late in the third on a flukey goal on a weak wrist shot that deflected off Zak Ray's shoulder, and played somewhat even with Lakehead in that period. Lakehead's third goal was also flukey as Caria got a shorthanded breakaway, but the puck went off the glass, bounced in front and then Sergerie batted the bouncing puck off the ice where it deflected over Daniels.

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 11-05-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old
11-05-2011, 11:04 PM
blackmarketmob

Win for Laurier tonight, another strong game defensively, a one where they were able to better generate offensive chances. The first 2 periods were closely contested, with the 3rd definately being in Lakehead's favour. Laurier's Thomas Middup, James Marsden and Mitch Lebar had goals. Despite being outshot, Laurier had some other good scoring opportunities as well. Zack Woolford had a chance after Jeff Bosch misplayed the puck leading to a shot on an open net from the blueline when Bosch was at the face off circle, but Woolford missed. Tyler Stothers also got a breakaway in the 2nd and shot low blocker side, but rang it off the inside of the post. With about 1:30 left in the game and Lakehead pushing, Mitch Lebar got a breakaway and also beat Bosch, but rang it off the crossbar high blocker side.

Overall, Laurier has improved their defensive play (I hope) as they gave up only a combined 7 goals in their past 3 against Lakehead and Waterloo, both of whom are stronger teams. This weekend Laurier's best players were Ryan Daniels who was spectacular, as well as Mitch Good and Mitch Lebar.

For Lakehead, they were a strong team, a bit different than the last time I saw them. They were more physical in the 2008-2010 years, they also were not as fast as a team than I had expected, but far exceeded what I was expecting with their passing. Their passes were crisp and tape to tape, the best I have seen in the league. No matter where their defence passed from, it always seem to land on a forward's stick and in control, despite that their passes almost always been of the long distance variety (if the redline was still used for offside I would still be watching the game as almost every play saw Lakehead go for long passes). Best player all weekend on either team was Mitch Fillman. He played about half the game tonight, and played typically the full 2 minutes on the powerplay on the right point for Lakehead. He is a big player, who skates very well and was good in both ends. A very good pickup for Lakehead.

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 11-06-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old
11-06-2011, 12:22 AM
lakeheadu

I was interested in seeing what you would think about Fillman. He has looked great. He seems to be the best skater every game. It's interesting that you said that they are less physical as the team, particularly on D, is now a lot bigger. You're probably right though. Smith and Alphonso were some of the bigger hitters, and both are now gone. I think that the biggest difference with the new guys has been that we are a lot tougher in front of our own net. The guys are not afraid to push people around there and we are a lot better at getting the puck out of our own end.

How were the goals that Laurier scored? I'm curious how Bosch looked. He looked great the first couple games but had a bit of a rough start last weekend. I think he's another solid pickup

lakeheadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:00 AM
thook

I am going to put it out there right now and say fillman is the best overall dman lakehead has recruited to date. I know everyone was in love with smith. There was a couple other standouts over the years. But fillman is consistent and elite in this league. Considering he is a rookie he has HUGE CIS potential as long as he holds off on the pros until after graduation. I think Lakeheads goal is to be more physical this year. I can see it coming but a bunch of the guys are still a bit tentative. The big bodies coming in are all still rookies so I would say give them untill after the xmas break and they will be much more comfortable.

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:09 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeheadu View Post
I was interested in seeing what you would think about Fillman. He has looked great. He seems to be the best skater every game. It's interesting that you said that they are less physical as the team, particularly on D, is now a lot bigger. You're probably right though. Smith and Alphonso were some of the bigger hitters, and both are now gone. I think that the biggest difference with the new guys has been that we are a lot tougher in front of our own net. The guys are not afraid to push people around there and we are a lot better at getting the puck out of our own end.

How were the goals that Laurier scored? I'm curious how Bosch looked. He looked great the first couple games but had a bit of a rough start last weekend. I think he's another solid pickup
In terms of the physical play which was also addressed right below your post, the Lakehead defence is large, but that has become relatively common place in the OUA and throughout the CIS on most good teams. Most teams in the West seem pretty capable at lining up a majority of ex-major junior defenceman who are 6 feet to 6-3 and 200 to 220. Last year Laurier had 4 guys who were full time OHL/WHL players including their overage years who were between 6'2 and 6'4 and 205 to 220 on the blueline. In that, Lakehead hasn't changed much from those years, however, their forwards seemed less physically engaged than in prior years. It could also be that Laurier often chipped the puck out and went for a line change, but Lakehead seems to have more skilled guys up front. I remember watching Lakehead on TV against Alberta in the 2009 game, and while they struggled to score goals that year, their lines would crash the opposing defence every time they played the puck. Also that year, when Laurier forwards would break out, between the bluelines was a danger zone. A few guys on Lakehead such as Alphonso and Dan Speer were very good at lining up hip checks that would either hit the carrier, or cause them to get rid of the puck. I didn't see as much of that. Not necessarily bad, as the 2009 Lakehead team did not have multiple 30+ goal OHL/WHL scorers, just a bit different.

As for the goals on Bosch, last year Laurier posted videos in a Sportscenter like format of most of their homegames showing all, or most of the goals by both teams. I wish that was still going as I would simply send you the link. It is tough to say overall how he looked. It is tough to evaluate a goalie on only 1 game played, as Dupuis played the 1st night. It is tougher still when the losing goalie gave up 3 on 24 compared to 2 at the other end on 47. Are all shots of equal difficulty? Likely not. However, given his junior pedigree, he has the background to be a successful CIS goalie. The first goal by Laurier came when Middup picked the pocket (on what could have been a hooking call) of a Lakehead defender coming around the net and then shot short side blocker on a surprised Bosch. It was not the strongest shot and one perhaps Bosch could have had. The second shot was a top shelf shot from in close after a scramble with no chance for the goalie and the third was a scramble after a wraparound, which typically I blame on the defence for not clearing the net as opposed to the goaltender (both Lakehead goals were also jam in plays scored from within about a foot of the crease, a complete opposite to their 2 tic tac toe tap in goals the previous night). So overall, at most 1 goal was weak. He was also beat on both breakaways but saved by the cross bar and post. He did make some strong saves in the first period, as Laurier could have been up about 3 nothing in the first 10-12 minutes including a few odd man rushes. Laurier was dominated in territory, but when they did get shots, they were of a good quality in the first, mostly off the rush, as it was rare for them to cycle and get set up in the Thunderwolves zone.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:18 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thook View Post
I am going to put it out there right now and say fillman is the best overall dman lakehead has recruited to date. I know everyone was in love with smith. There was a couple other standouts over the years. But fillman is consistent and elite in this league. Considering he is a rookie he has HUGE CIS potential as long as he holds off on the pros until after graduation. I think Lakeheads goal is to be more physical this year. I can see it coming but a bunch of the guys are still a bit tentative. The big bodies coming in are all still rookies so I would say give them untill after the xmas break and they will be much more comfortable.
Fillman looks very good. What is surprising to me is in his overage year with Saginaw, he was released in favour of keeping defencemen Joe Underwood (Waterloo) and Matt Ashman (Western). Looking at Lakehead's roster, there are a number of guys who were able to find a place to play in their major junior leagues as an overager including Maunu, Sagert, Quesnele, Laurier last year would have had Van De Bospoort, Sinfield, Shepley and Gauthier. Having seen Fillman play and those other players play, I am surprised he did not catch on with another OHL team as a 20 year old.