HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The Official 2011-2012 WLU Golden Hawks Thread

Old
11-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Neugs

vCash: 500
Well Im back from out of town (man AUS hockey is amazing)...

Anyways, its nice to see we dont completely suck though we have a lot to thank Ryan Daniels for it seems.

Lebar is as advertised it seems and 4 points in 6 games for Vandenberg isnt bad either.

Neugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Neugs

It looks as though Puhalski has at least set the course for this Hawks team to be on the right track. A 5-1 pounding of Brock tonight after the good performances against Western and Waterloo has the team at 3-6 after an 0-5 start....good job boys.

Old
11-11-2011, 11:38 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neugs View Post
It looks as though Puhalski has at least set the course for this Hawks team to be on the right track. A 5-1 pounding of Brock tonight after the good performances against Western and Waterloo has the team at 3-6 after an 0-5 start....good job boys.
A solid game but Brock just kept shooting themselves in the foot, Laurier going 4 for 13 on the powerplay (Brock was shorthanded for almost a full 30 minutes) with terrible penalty after terrible penalty. Their lack of discipline was staggering, and Laurier was also very luck to come out with no injuries. Mitch Lebar was hit from behind and had to come to the bench in pain but was okay, Trevor Atkinson was hit from behind and was shaken up, and Brent Vandenberg was hit from behind well after a whistle. The worst hit of the night came from Josh Schram who was obviously frustrated and levelled Atkinson about 7-8 feet away from the boards about 4-5 seconds after an offside call, leading to a match penalty, as Atkinson was down for about 10 minutes. In all of this, Brock somehow still managed to outshoot the Hawks. Goals came on a high shot from the point from Chad Lowry who is playing very well, a roofed shot on a scramble by now leading scorer James Marsden, am empty net bury from Tyler Stothers on a scramble, and an odd goal from Thomas Middup who rifled a slap shot from an impossible angle into an empty net after Brock goaltender Kurt Jory misplayed the puck. The final goal was the nicest as Stothers picked the pocke of the Brock defender well on the right side of the ice, and came in on a right side breakway, cutting left and slipping the puck between Jory's legs. Brock's lone goal came on a powerplay, with Laurier playing Woolfor - Scott - Atkinson and Albion as the penalty killers. I would have preferred Shepley, Riddle and Lowry out there along with either Vanni, Poulter, Marsden, Good or Lebar to try and get Daniels the shutout.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Neugs

Hope we get another dub tonight

Old
11-19-2011, 09:52 PM
blackmarketmob

Laurier loses to Brock, but hands Western first regulation loss

A tale of two different results for Laurier this weekend. Both games saw them get outshot by roughly 3-1 margins, but one game saw them unable to score, while in the other, they were able to rack up 5. Both also saw Ryan Daniels make a ton of saves due to the lopsided shots. I had a busy day and did not make it out to Waterloo tonight to see Laurier play Western. Despite the shot differential, Laurier was up 5-1 part way through the third. The potential game changer came when Zack Shepley took a 5 minute major for cross checking and a game misconduct. On the resulting power play, Keaton Turkiewicz scored 3 goals in 1:43 to make the game 5-4. Against Brock, Laurier mustered only 13 shots en route to a 3-0 (1 empty netter) loss. Laurier has had a tough schedule which has not seen them play any of Guelph, UOIT or York, the bottom 4 teams (along with themselves) at this point. After playing in Lakehead next weekend (a split would be great), they will have a chance to play Guelph and York and perhaps see how they stack up against the rest of the division, as in general, they have shown themselves to be behind teams like Western, Lakehead, Waterloo and Windsor.

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 11-19-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old
11-22-2011, 05:26 PM
blackmarketmob

Laurier has uploaded their first highlight package of a game following their win against Western. Video shows all 5 Laurier goals, all 4 of Western's goals (including one which on replay clearly hits the outside of the crossbar and does not enter the net) as well as the major cross checking penalty that ultimately cost Laurier 3 goals in a 2 minute span.

Old
11-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Neugs

Its a rough transitional year overall...losing all those key guys is hard. We will do nothing this year of course, but there is some promise for the next couple years. We thought the defense would be the strength...it has turned into the weakness. Theyve done some good work recruiting forwards, time to recruit some top notch defensemen for next year.

Old
11-25-2011, 09:28 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Its a rough transitional year overall...losing all those key guys is hard. We will do nothing this year of course, but there is some promise for the next couple years. We thought the defense would be the strength...it has turned into the weakness. Theyve done some good work recruiting forwards, time to recruit some top notch defensemen for next year.
The defense would have been strong, but neither of us expected Van De Bospoort to be out this long, and Sinfield and Magistrale to quit. Those 3 along with Shepley and Lowry, with Riddle as the 6th would have been one of the better d-corps in the OUA West. Instead Laurier is only dressing 5 defencemen, 2 of them walkons.

Tonight was a blowout, Laurier taking alot of penalties apparently, and losing 6-0 to Lakehead. Laurier was again without Ben Skinner and Kyle Van De Bospoort, but also did not dress Tyler Stothers, who had 2 goals last game against Western. Altogether, they dressed 5 defencemen and only 10 forwards. Hopefully they can heal up a bit, but also try and pick up a win tomorrow. Lakehead has been hot however.

Old
11-25-2011, 09:41 PM
thook

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
The defense would have been strong, but neither of us expected Van De Bospoort to be out this long, and Sinfield and Magistrale to quit. Those 3 along with Shepley and Lowry, with Riddle as the 6th would have been one of the better d-corps in the OUA West. Instead Laurier is only dressing 5 defencemen, 2 of them walkons.

Tonight was a blowout, Laurier taking alot of penalties apparently, and losing 6-0 to Lakehead. Laurier was again without Ben Skinner and Kyle Van De Bospoort, but also did not dress Tyler Stothers, who had 2 goals last game against Western. Altogether, they dressed 5 defencemen and only 10 forwards. Hopefully they can heal up a bit, but also try and pick up a win tomorrow. Lakehead has been hot however.

WLU definitely had a short bench which is too bad. It was a very one sided game. Today was the first time we have seen the two ref system in a regular season game and it was terrible. they brought a ref in from out of town and he wanted to be the show. Hopefully tomorrow nights game is a better one..... I am having my doubts if the hawks can't fill that bench a bit.

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:26 PM
lakeheadu

Quote:
Originally Posted by thook View Post
WLU definitely had a short bench which is too bad. It was a very one sided game. Today was the first time we have seen the two ref system in a regular season game and it was terrible. they brought a ref in from out of town and he wanted to be the show. Hopefully tomorrow nights game is a better one..... I am having my doubts if the hawks can't fill that bench a bit.
I'm glad that you saw the game the way that I did. One guy on twitter thought that the ref was great. I felt the exact same was as you. It was all about him. Not even just with the penalty calls. The guys would come out onto the ice after intermission and he would immediately blow his whistle and send them to the benches even though there was still 60-90 seconds of intermission time left. It was as though he had to feel he controlled everything. It was not a fun game to watch at all

lakeheadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Neugs

15 players? What the hell is this...beer league?

Anyways with all due respect to Lakehead fans and players...we along with other teams in the OUA have long, long known that when you go into Lakehead the refereeing will be poor on good days, and down right criminal on others. This "new ref from out of town trying to be the show" may or may not be true, but it is no secret how biased the refereeing is in Thunder Bay regardless...two bias referees will be just as bad as one.

That being said Lakehead has some very good, talented players who don't need this refereeing crap for the team to be a great, OUA Gold contending team. Quesnele is probably the best offensive defenseman in the OUA and there is quality up and down the roster.

I still know I am going to be disgusted by the reffing every time I watch a Lakehead game in Thunder Bay.

Old
11-26-2011, 12:46 AM
lakeheadu

Quote:
15 players? What the hell is this...beer league?

Anyways with all due respect to Lakehead fans and players...we along with other teams in the OUA have long, long known that when you go into Lakehead the refereeing will be poor on good days, and down right criminal on others. This "new ref from out of town trying to be the show" may or may not be true, but it is no secret how biased the refereeing is in Thunder Bay regardless...two bias referees will be just as bad as one.

That being said Lakehead has some very good, talented players who don't need this refereeing crap for the team to be a great, OUA Gold contending team. Quesnele is probably the best offensive defenseman in the OUA and there is quality up and down the roster.

I still know I am going to be disgusted by the reffing every time I watch a Lakehead game in Thunder Bay.
To be fair, the refs don't just flat out favour us. They are just bad, period. We get screwed very often as well. This guy 100% was not from here. I looked him up and he is a retired OHL ref of 17 years. And I can assure you that it wasn't the local guy making the penalty calls. This guy made the first 8 calls before the local guy made one (aside from awarding a penalty shot to Laurier).

I read this just now as well..."Former NHL referee and director of officiating Bryan Lewis was in the press box overseeing the officials." I'm not sure what's going on there or with this guy that they brought in for the game. We'll see if they go with 2 refs again tomorrow night.

Last edited by lakeheadu: 11-26-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old
11-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Neugs

I have seen more favouring of Lakehead than just poor reffing, but you're right the standard there is often pathetic overall, on occasion even towards the T-Wolves.

Truth to tell the standard of officiating throughout the OUA is often pretty poor...there are certain refs that come into schools around Waterloo-Laurier-Guelph-Toronto area that when I see them I sigh because I know they suck too though I don't often see it as bias but more of crap quality of reffing.

I remember one time our old coach (and current McGill Head Coach Kelly Nobes) got so angry at the officiating he jumped off of the bench and onto the ice in an attempt to have a baseball style yelling match with the refs.

That being said, Nobes always had temper problems lol

I do mean no disrespect to Lakehead fans and players...I, in truth, envy and admire the quantity and quality of passion Thunder Bayers have for the T-Wolves. I just more often than not see the poorness of reffing favour Lakehead.

Old
11-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Neugs

*Nobes' tirade was in Thunder Bay...and he got kicked out of that game and was suspended for 2 more

Old
11-26-2011, 01:08 PM
lakeheadu

Quote:
*Nobes' tirade was in Thunder Bay...and he got kicked out of that game and was suspended for 2 more
lol yeah, I remember that. I get what you're saying for sure, but it's definitely frustrating on our end as well. In a typical season, we're better than the majority of the teams in the OUA, and the refs just ruin the games. It's either a guy that can't keep up and makes no calls or a guy that goes overboard and makes every single call. Then you have the guys that make 2-3 consecutive legit calls on one team and then feel the need to make the same amount of phantom calls on the other team just to even it up. In my opinion, those are the kind of things that can keep our opposition in the game. Even strength, I feel that we are stronger than these teams and should win.

I know this isn't the best gauge of how fair the officiating is, but going into last night we had fewer power plays than our opponents in home games this season. Last night, the high sticks, slashes and checks to the head were all legit calls. It was some others that irritate me, like a cheap cross checking call on your guy. He did cross check but he barely touched him. The guy was just off balance a bit so he went down. Then some other "roughing" calls were pretty weak as well.

Anyway, what's going on with your team? Why are you so short handed? I think I had read that some of your D quit, but I'm not sure. I assume you must have some injuries as well.

Old
11-26-2011, 01:34 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeheadu View Post
lol yeah, I remember that. I get what you're saying for sure, but it's definitely frustrating on our end as well. In a typical season, we're better than the majority of the teams in the OUA, and the refs just ruin the games. It's either a guy that can't keep up and makes no calls or a guy that goes overboard and makes every single call. Then you have the guys that make 2-3 consecutive legit calls on one team and then feel the need to make the same amount of phantom calls on the other team just to even it up. In my opinion, those are the kind of things that can keep our opposition in the game. Even strength, I feel that we are stronger than these teams and should win.

I know this isn't the best gauge of how fair the officiating is, but going into last night we had fewer power plays than our opponents in home games this season. Last night, the high sticks, slashes and checks to the head were all legit calls. It was some others that irritate me, like a cheap cross checking call on your guy. He did cross check but he barely touched him. The guy was just off balance a bit so he went down. Then some other "roughing" calls were pretty weak as well.

Anyway, what's going on with your team? Why are you so short handed? I think I had read that some of your D quit, but I'm not sure. I assume you must have some injuries as well.
It is puzzling. The roster is only 23 players right now. Laurier has had 3 players quit, the top D-pairing of Garrett Sinfield and Phil Magistrale, as well as forward and former Subury Wolf Kain Allicock. We started the season with 7 defencemen, but those 2 quit and captain Kyle Van De Bospoort was I believe injured in pre-season and has not played since, bringing the defence total to only 4, so a local Jr. B guy was added to the team bringing the total back to 6, but with Van De Bospoort still out, only 5 are dressed every night, 2 of them Jr. B walkons. Up front, 11 players are "recruits," but last night Tyler Stothers and Ben Skinner were out (Skinner has been out for a while). Laurier also carries 3 walk-on forwards, but only 1 is playing right now, leading me to believe the other 2 are injured as well, but this is speculation on my part.

Old
11-26-2011, 01:55 PM
lakeheadu

Sounds rough. I hope you guys can get some strong recruits this offseason. I enjoyed the rivalry we had going the past few seasons. Laurier was more fun to watch than a team like a Waterloo or Windsor. Other than Western, the Laurier games were the best games to watch. You guys would actually skate with us and didn't just try to trap all game.

Even last night there was a pretty aggressive forecheck from your guys for a bit, but I assume they got worn down quickly with so few players while we were rolling 4 lines. We only have 11 healthy forwards with Caria and Beljo still out, but they were all playing regular shifts for the most part.

Old
11-26-2011, 09:37 PM
lakeheadu

Lakehead 4 Laurier 3 in a shootout

Lakehead dominated the 1st period but trailed 1-0. Laurier was able to get a man in behind the D short handed and capitalized as Lebar slid it by Dupuis on the backhand.

Laurier then scored about 30 seconds into the 2nd period. It was a shot from the point and there was a lot of traffic in front of Dupuis and I believe it was tipped. McDonald answered back 20 seconds later, beating Daniels with a great wrist shot from the high slot. Grondin tied it about 2 minutes later as he drove to the net and tipped in a nice feed from McDonald, again top corner just under the crossbar. The 2nd period was kind of back and forth for the most part. It was a pretty poor period for us.

On to the 3rd and midway through the period, Laurier just put a puck on net from the corner by the boards and it went in off of Maunu's skate. Again, we answered back quickly with a goal less than 2 minutes later. I can't remember this goal but I believe it was top corner glove side.

For the most part, Lakehead outplayed Laurier in the 3rd and OT. Shots on goal were 55-23 for the game. In the shootout, McDonald got us on the board but Laurier was able to answer back. Grondin was finally able to end it with a great shot that beat Daniels top corner glove side.

Overall, a much better effort from Laurier tonight. Getting out in front definitely helps. They only had 14 skaters tonight and credit them for working hard and making a game of it. The refs decided to chill out a bit tonight and let the boys play. There were a few instances in which a penalty could have been called, but I will take tonight's style of officiating over last night's any day. The out of town guy was one of the refs again, along with Thunder Bay's worst in Brewer. Brewer basically watched and let the other guy do everything.

Old
11-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Neugs

A shootout win...Im shocked.

Laurier has traditionally had speedy, offense first teams that scored a lot and gave up a lot of goals as well. The last couple years we haven't had that depth, but Puhalskis systems are not sit back either...they are very much in your face and create offense off the cycle. Im impressed we got a shootout loss tonight and James Marsden continues to have what looks like a very good year after a disappointing one last year.

Old
11-27-2011, 12:45 PM
blackmarketmob

Sounds like a much better performance. Even more impressive is Laurier played with only 14 players, 5 D and 3 forward lines. I am guessing Joe Vanni was injured on the Friday, and he is likely Laurier's best forward on the PK. Was Lebar's goal on a breakaway? If so, I am surprised he was not chosen for the shootout. Laurier had a few choices in the shootout that I found odd, like Brook Albion, but he scored, so I can't really say anything. I also would have chosen Scott and Vandenberg, as well as Stothers/Skinner (both injured), and also Lebar.

I am glad Laurier no longer has to play Lakehead. They are most of the way through the season and up until this point have had to "weather the storm." From this point on, they play substantially more games against teams that they have yet to play like Guelph, York and UOIT. I am not sure if they should win the majority of those games, but they have done well recently, going 4-5-1 in their past 10, after starting 0-5-0, picking up points against Lakehead, Waterloo and Western. Hopefully the Christmas break allows for guys like Van De Bospoort, Skinner, Vanni and Stothers to get healed up as well, so they can have 6D and 4 lines.

Old
11-27-2011, 12:57 PM
lakeheadu

Partial breakaway I guess. He was in behind everyone but the defenceman was right on him. Lebar was able to shield him from getting the puck and got Dupuis down and slid it it behind him on the backhand

I would say you guys were stronger than UOIT based on the two games that I saw us play against each team. Of course, I'm basing that more so on last night than Friday night's game. If you can get a couple more guys healthy and play more consistent, I think you should win a number of those games.

Surprisingly (based on this years record), outside of McGill, I thought that Guelph looked like the best team that has been here this year. Maybe they just had a good weekend, but they played us really tough. UQTR didn't even give us that much trouble even though they split with us, albeit it was only preseason and both teams are likely better now.

Old
11-27-2011, 01:42 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Partial breakaway I guess. He was in behind everyone but the defenceman was right on him. Lebar was able to shield him from getting the puck and got Dupuis down and slid it it behind him on the backhand

I would say you guys were stronger than UOIT based on the two games that I saw us play against each team. Of course, I'm basing that more so on last night than Friday night's game. If you can get a couple more guys healthy and play more consistent, I think you should win a number of those games.

Surprisingly (based on this years record), outside of McGill, I thought that Guelph looked like the best team that has been here this year. Maybe they just had a good weekend, but they played us really tough. UQTR didn't even give us that much trouble even though they split with us, albeit it was only preseason and both teams are likely better now.
The positive thing about winning only 4 of 14 games played is that between Lakehead and Western, the two top teams, they have combined only 4 regulation losses, 2 coming to McGill for Lakehead, and one each to Laurier. You were talking earlier about Lakehead and Laurier having a good rivalry and I tend to agree. This year one team is obviously significantly stronger, but since I began to attend Laurier in 2006-2007, Laurier's record against Lakehead including regular season and playoffs has been:

2006-2007: 4-0-0
2007-2008: 2-5-0
2008-2009: 5-2-0
2009-2010: 2-2-0
2010-2011: 1-1-0
2011-2012: 1-2-1

Overall, 15 wins with 13 losses. Given the strength of Lakehead's teams, Laurier has done pretty well against the Thunderwolves, especially considering that in those 6 years, I feel Laurier has had the better team only 2 of those seasons (2006-2007 and 2008-2009), and were somewhat fortunate to obtain splits between 2009 and 2011.

Interesting you mention Guelph looked good. The one negative about York, Guelph, UOIT etc, is despite low point totals in the standings, they have had games where they have outshot their opponents, in both wins and losses. Laurier has been outshot every game, typically badly.

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 11-27-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old
12-02-2011, 12:26 AM
lakeheadu

Did you go to the game tonight? Looks like it must have been a pretty ugly one. Did Laurier suck or did Guelph dominate?

Old
12-02-2011, 04:17 AM
northvanman

Quote:
Did you go to the game tonight? Looks like it must have been a pretty ugly one. Did Laurier suck or did Guelph dominate?
I didn't see last night's game, but I think Guelph is largely flying under the radar and is much better than their record indicates. They got off to a really bad start, losing all four of their cross-over games against eastern conference teams. They then lost four consecutive games in either overtime or shootouts - 2 of them against Western, one against Lakehead, and one against Waterloo - the top three teams in the West. Two of their other four losses were by one goal. All four of their wins were blowouts.

I think they are too far back to contend for winning the division, but I would not want to meet them in the playoffs if they keep playing the way they have been lately.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:50 AM
lakeheadu

I know, that's what I said earlier in this thread. They gave us the most trouble of any team that has been here this year, outside of maybe McGill. We actually probably deserved a split vs McGill more than we deserved to sweep Guelph. I remember a 5 minute PP really killed us in the one game vs Guelph, but they were giving us trouble either way. They play kind of in your face and have a strong forecheck.

Laurier reminded me of them for the first few minutes, but Laurier can't sustain it since they have so few players in the lineup. I would say that Guelph is the 4th best team in the OUA West right now. I agree, I would hate to have to play them over the other potential 1st round playoff matchups.