HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The Official 2011-2012 WLU Golden Hawks Thread

Old
12-02-2011, 11:43 AM
blackmarketmob

vCash: 500
Did not make it out last night as I had a dinner event I had to go to. I am up north this weekend as well, so I will miss the Saturday game against York. Really frustrating I could not make it out, as I had this one circled, as I had yet to see Guelph this year, York as well. I work in London, have an apartment in Guelph, and went to Laurier and am familiar with the Waterloo arena, so I do have 4 venues where I can and have attended games (I will sometimes attend York games as well, as I am from Toronto, and have made it to Brock before but it is a pain to get out to). Hopefully in the new year I will be able to attend some away games as well, based upon their schedule, I should be able to attend the majority of games in the new year. 8 of their final 9 games are in either Waterloo or Guelph, which is great for me.

As for Laurier, they are getting horribly outshot every game. Against Western or Lakehead that is acceptable, but it is odd that they have a decent record against Western, Lakehead and Waterloo, compared to how they do against the rest of the OUA West. It seems Laurier has just as good a chance of beating the top teams as they do Guelph or York. Going off of the play and shots, Laurier appears to be the worst team in the OUA this year. Even UOIT has had games where they did not get outshot, typically 2 or even 3 to 1.

Guelph has always been an up-tempo team that plays physical and shoots from all areas of the ice. Their biggest offseason moves were losing Thomas Kiriakou and Tim Priamo's graduation, but it sounds like they are still pretty strong. I am not sure who is the 4th strongest team, Windsor, Brock and Guelph will all battle it out. Based upon the lineups, I think Brock is the deepest up front and on the backend, but typically my predictions come out wrong.

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 12-02-2011 at 11:48 AM.
blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Neugs

Its really hard when you have 15 guys all year and two of your 5 d are jr b plugs

Neugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:59 AM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neugs View Post
Its really hard when you have 15 guys all year and two of your 5 d are jr b plugs
No kidding. Especially with the second point. Against Lakehead one game they had 9 forwards as well. Heal up over Christmas, and hopefully get a recruit or two to enroll in the January term (like Pettapiece or Shepley did). If they could grab 1 defenceman at Christmas they could roll 2 and a half strong pairings. Need a couple guys up front to heal to give them 4 lines though. Laurier gets hemmed in their zone alot which makes guys tired. Then multiply that by rolling only 3 lines, and on Olympic ice. Dressing 3 recruits on the backend needs to end soon somehow.

Old
12-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Neugs

Or after losing 4-1 to York we could just give up like Sinfield, Allicock, and Magistrale

Old
12-04-2011, 08:32 AM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neugs View Post
Or after losing 4-1 to York we could just give up like Sinfield, Allicock, and Magistrale
Highlights from York game:

One positive note is for the first time this season, Laurier actually outshot their opponent, in this case 25-22 in the game. That has yet to happen this year, including exhibition. Looking forward to resuming the hockey in the New Year.

Old
12-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Neugs

Ooo outshot f#@#@$#%$@% york...

By a very very long shot the worst Laurier season in many years

Old
12-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Neugs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc3jyOhT6kw

From when we were good

Im so sad...

In other news, our womens team is still sick

11-0 over Ryerson lol

Old
01-06-2012, 11:21 PM
blackmarketmob

Laurier began 2012 with a loss tonight against Western in London. Laurier came out slow, going down 3-0 early, but played what I assume is one of their best road games, getting outshot 22-21 in the final two periods for a total of 36-28, and outscoring the Mustangs 4-3 in the 2nd and 3rd until Western added a late empty netter. A far cry from Western's 59 shot performance the last time these two played. Western went 4 for 5 on the powerplay.

For the first time since likely last year, Laurier dressed 18 skaters, including 6 defencemen, and 4 lines. Recent addition Mike Mascioli scored in his first game. Laurier also got back captain Kyle Van De Bospoort. The holiday break was evidently not enough recovery time for Ben Skinner who is still out. Getting him back in place of Jon Veerman would be a positive step for the team.

In other Laurier news, Kain Allicock who left Laurier 2 games into this season is now attending Waterloo where he will be playing CIS hockey. Due to eligibility, I assume he will redshirt with the Warriors for the rest of this season, before beginning to play in the 2012-2013 season.

Old
01-08-2012, 03:31 PM
blackmarketmob

Injury problems persist

Laurier gained 2 points with a 6-1 win over Brock last night, but did so with only 14 skaters. The relatively injury free period that started Friday by dressing 18 skaters against Western ended abruptly. Mitch Lebar and Brent Vandenberg were not dressed Saturday night, and Frank Riddle who also played the night before was in attendance on crutches, leaving Laurier with 15 skaters and only 5 defencemen. This quickly turned to 4 after Chad Lowry got hit hard in the head early in the first period, and did not return. Hopefully a few of Skinner, Lebar, Vandenberg, Scott and Lowry are back next week, and Riddle is able to return before the end of the season.

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 01-09-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old
01-16-2012, 09:30 PM
blackmarketmob

Laurier loses another player

Two days after beating Waterloo for the second time this season and claiming their first road win of the season, Laurier has lost a highly skilled player off their roster. In a bizarre change, Thomas Middup is no longer listed on the Hawks' roster, despite playing in Saturday's game against Waterloo. Last year Middup scored 25 points to finish 2nd on the Golden Hawks in scoring, with him and Mitch Good being the only 2 of last year's top 8 scorers returning. I am not sure if the issue was academic, or whether their were problems, but I cannot really speculate.

Since last year, Laurier has had the following major junior experienced players leave the team midseason:
2010-2011
F - Brendan Taylor (8 games played)
D - Mike Gauthier (22 games in)

2011-2012
D - Garrett Sinfield (4 games in after 3 full seasons)
D - Phil Magistrale (4 games in after 3 full seasons)
F - Kain Allicock (2 games in - will be playing with Waterloo next season)
F - Thomas Middup (20 games in)